• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Yeah I was on the fence and waiting for a steam sale before I'd decide to bite the bullet but I just couldn't wait. Now before I start installing anything do I need both arma II and Operation arrowhead or will just operation arrowhead suffice?

You need Combined Ops.

Basically you can either transfer the ArmA II files over or load the ArmA II content like a mod.

There are tutorials a number of places on how to do this, you can also just get something like Six Updater/Launcher

Veritas_

Low on food, I decide to investigate a local super market near Bor. I Solid Snake my way in past a gauntlet of zed's. Only Makarov ammo and road flares. Such is life in Chernarus.

Kritz

Banned
Seems like overall if we limit people to 200 max (extended period of time) it improves the ping on the server. Does anyone here get over 200 consistently?

Don't change it for me, because I have only once played on the GAF server. But I hit 250 as my average. But I guess if international (Australian) usage is limited just to me (and maybe Salacious Crumb), it isn't worth making the server worse for everyone else.

well, first spawn ever lasted approximately 30s. Killed a zombie and then a player killed me. Does GAF play on a certain server?

My first 3-4 spawns were terrible. First time I spawned in the remotest corner of the spawn area - died by zombie after trying to vault a fence. Second time I made it into Cherno - died by zombie on a pier. Third time I was in Elektro, made real progress in the docks area and found some stuff - died via random PK. Fourth time, back in Elektro, I dropped 6 ft from a crane and broke my legs, couldn't walk, and then dropped another 15 ft off the crane to my death.

At this point I hated the mod.

It was my 5th run (current one) when things clicked. My piece of advice: Get out of the starting area and head inland or along the coast to Berezino. Check sheds, farmhouses and deer huts for things - and remember to look for ponds/pumps for refilling your canteen.

Unicorn

Oh man, I'm downloading the free versions of Arma 2 and Arrowhead now! I'm pretty excited to try this out.

Question though:

What is the difference between the free versions and the paid versions?

NBtoaster

Oh man, I'm downloading the free versions of Arma 2 and Arrowhead now! I'm pretty excited to try this out.

Question though:

What is the difference between the free versions and the paid versions?

Looks a lot worse and has no singleplayer. Arrowhead does not have a free version, you'll need to buy that to play this.

Unicorn

Are the two bundled somewhere? Steam has each for $20. I was expecting to get both for that price, at most, since it is a pretty old game..

Steam has "Combined Operation" which is both parts, but it is still $30

ToxicAdam

Nice post on RPS:

Day Z has a bit of a problem. I realise that by writing about it that I might make people realise that it’s possible, and therefore make the issue worse, but hey, I am sure Rocket is aware and will want to fix it. In the meantime, I had to laugh…

I’ve been having a run of bad luck in Day Z. My characters haven’t lasted long, or have got murdered in terrible fashion as soon as I picked up neat kit. So for the nth time I spawned back on the beach, and began my foraging. Having been through a couple of fire stations and a shop (usually good places for loot) all I had was an AK with a single clip of ammo, and a bit of food. Really, it wasn’t happening, and the cool things I needed to survive weren’t appearing. And it had begun to rain.

So there I was, outside one of the map’s larger cities, Elektrozavorsk, in the miserable weather, when I heard gunshots. Two bursts. It was an assault rifle firing across the valley. Not at me, but certainly at someone. Deciding to investigate, I headed in that direction. I kept to the woods, realising that I might be able to come up behind the combatants in the trees if – as I suspected – the sound was someone being ambushed on the hill that overlooked that power station. I ran for a few minutes without seeing anything, and then there they were: the bodies of two poorly-equipped survivors. Who ever had looted them hadn’t bothered with the crossbow and Lee Enfield rifle they were carrying. Why would they? They’d take some consumables and move on. Poor bastards. Someone with a proper military weapon – that assault rifle – had obviously caught them out in the open and gone for a quick kill.

I moved back up into the woods, looking around warily, before I spotted a lone figure. A lone figure carrying an M16 with under-slung grenade launcher. He had his back to me. He hadn’t seen me. He was almost certainly the culprit from the slayings I’d heard and then seen moments earlier. I tried to get closer to him to dispense some bandit justice of my own, but I lost sight of him. I searched around in the woods, panicking a bit. Perhaps he’d seen me and I was just lining up the shot. I walked backwards into the woods.

Eventually, annoyed, I stopped at a good clear point in the trees and peered from my hillside vantage point into the rain. If he’d continued on the line he’d appeared to be travelling in, I’d be able to see him from this view into the city. I scanned and scanned, and there there he was in the far distance, in the power station. I could see the entire complex from here, so it would likely be possible to set up an ambush as he left. I watched and waited. I saw him slowly emerge from the main building. He stopped for a moment. Was he looking at me? I couldn’t tell from this distance. He moved into one of the outlying, loot-bearing sheds. I’d easily be able to see which way he left when he’d finished looting that. Only he didn’t come out. I waited. One, two minutes. And nothing.

And I realised exactly what that fucker was doing. He’d logged off. Not only logged off, but logged off because he’d seen me. He was going to cheat. He was going to exploit Day Z’s awesome persistence feature to try to kill me unfairly: he was going to log onto another, different server, move to roughly my location on the map, and then log back in to this one. He was going to sidestep my tracking him by cheating. Basically teleporting on top of me by exploiting the game’s functionality.

I backed up the hill by about a hundred metres, giving myself the perfect vantage point on my former position. A moment later, he popped into existence just behind where I had been.

I hit the trigger. Watched him try to run.

That felt pretty good.

And even better when I picked up his top-end back pack, and the M16, and all that ammo, and blood packs, and a map, and a knife, and a compass, antibiotics, matches, hatchet…

Yes, cheaters and exploiters, you do spoil the game for everyone else. But sometimes you make the game, too, because it’s really quite satisfying to destroy you so completely.

So thanks for that. It was a memorable moment.

When is the Summer sale usually? To me, the best time would be right when school is getting out, as in, NOOOOOWWWWWW

summer sales usually start near the end of June, you can wait a month.

Don't worry about the the "fad" interest in the mod dying by then, because if it does... then it probably wasn't worth your money.

mik83kuu

Banned
28153675.jpg

You guys are role playing silly civil war soldiers in your bus?

This is like one of those scenarios where one person says something to someone else, they don't reply and the person makes the wildest assumption possible. Then a bottle breaks and they declare all out war even though the bottle fell on its own and...

Yup, that's how silly this is.

mik83kuu

Banned
You guys are role playing silly civil war soldiers in your bus?

This is like one of those scenarios where one person says something to someone else, they don't reply and the person makes the wildest assumption possible. Then a bottle breaks and they declare all out war even though the bottle fell on its own and...

Yup, that's how silly this is.

You get in a group of your own, leave the rest of us behind, and kill 3-4 of us with the excuse of "I typed a warning in the chat no one else can see" and you expect us to just bend over? I will destroy every single one of you even if I have to do it alone :-D

61628d1246020330-death-war-aaar.jpg

killer-cat.jpg

cat-vs-dog.jpg

Enron

Banned
Found a bus! And it works!

On top of Windy Mountain of all places. Left that shit there. Manuvering bus down mountain full of trees = lulz

You get in a group of your own, leave the rest of us behind, and kill 3-4 of us with the excuse of "I typed a warning in the chat no one else can see" and you expect us to just bend over? I will destroy every single one of you even if I have to do it alone :-D

Hi, I'm NiX. You're thinking of gibonez.

Once again.. I am N-I-X. He is G-I-B-O-N-E-Z. I mean, sure, if you remove all but two letters and add a new one, you may confuse our names. But, yeah. I'm NiX and you're paraphrasing gibonez.

NiX. gibonez.

Edit: Just realized how butt hurt you sound over us leaving you to do our own thing.

abusori

Oh for fuck's sake. Two of you in a row with the goddamn bus in the airfield, and you don't expect to get shot when you don't say anything and the other group has two snipers? Clearly you're going to.

We don't want some stupid misguided "civil war." But since your group apparently likes nothing but deathmatch (I can only assume so since all you do is follow mickey to big cities and shoot until you all die), I can see why you'd try to start one.

mik83kuu

Banned
Oh for fuck's sake. Two of you in a row with the goddamn bus in the airfield, and you don't expect to get shot when you don't say anything and the other group has two snipers? Clearly you're going to.

We don't want some stupid misguided "civil war." But since your group apparently likes nothing but deathmatch (I can only assume so since all you do is follow mickey to big cities and shoot until you all die), I can see why you'd try to start one.

Says the man in the group with Gibonez :) (Also: see below)

Hi, I'm NiX. You're thinking of gibonez.

Once again.. I am N-I-X. He is G-I-B-O-N-E-Z. I mean, sure, if you remove all but two letters and add a new one, you may confuse our names. But, yeah. I'm NiX and you're paraphrasing gibonez.

NiX. gibonez.

Edit: Just realized how butt hurt you sound over us leaving you to do our own thing.

Not sure if serious.
You do realize this is all for fun, right?

Top Bottom