• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

The Shift

Banned
I'll admit, I thought to myself - as I ran largely without having prepared into Stary Sobor - that I was setting myself up for a fall. But to move carefully from building to building, and get shot and looted while crossing a road away from the person in question, it just frustrates me. They were alone too: why not try teaming up for once, you already had an assault rifle ffs!

Just had a similar encounter at the NW airfield. I was in one of the minor buildings there and noticed a flare go out so hit the deck and crawled outside to have a look. Some dude with a Makarov was going for the barracks so I quietly followed close by being careful not to alert him to my presence. Suddenly he doubles back around the corner and I am confronted with said Mak in my face at about 5 meters incoming. He unloads a full mag at me and in something that resembles a scene from Pulp Fiction, all the rounds wiz past my head and land on the wall behind me. I unload a couple of silenced rounds from my faithful Bizon into him and he drops like a bad habit. This happened in the space of about two minutes - I had no intention of killing him, was actually going to help in case he got Z swarmed. Fuck it, I'm just doing heli crash site runs from now on and live the quite life in the forest hunting. I was/am attracted to the game because of the survival aspect rocket promoted - not the pvp/deathmatch that it has devolved into.

Yeah I learnt you can never be too careful in cities. Was ready to take a gas station just out of town, when suddenly a car beeps its horn and goes whizzing past. Not sure if they saw me or gave me a pass or what. But did shit myself.

Am well armed now though; just need some matches and am sorted.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Just had a similar encounter at the NW airfield. I was in one of the minor buildings there and noticed a flare go out so hit the deck and crawled outside to have a look. Some dude with a Makarov was going for the barracks so I quietly followed close by being careful not to alert him to my presence. Suddenly he doubles back around the corner and I am confronted with said Mak in my face at about 5 meters incoming. He unloads a full mag at me and in something that resembles a scene from Pulp Fiction, all the rounds wiz past my head and land on the wall behind me. I unload a couple of silenced rounds from my faithful Bizon into him and he drops like a bad habit. This happened in the space of about two minutes - I had no intention of killing him, was actually going to help in case he got Z swarmed. Fuck it, I'm just doing heli crash site runs from now on and live the quite life in the forest hunting. I was/am attracted to the game because of the survival aspect rocket promoted - not the pvp/deathmatch that it has devolved into.

he crazy ivaned and saw a heavily armed person stalking him. what reaction were you expecting?

Our gaf base in cherno got destroyed (of course it would be, advertising it in the public thread anyone can read on the internet's biggest gaming forum)

You're such a downer. Everyone complained about there not being an objective without vehicles and now that we've exhausted that we need something new. Tent city in a city is the new Raid boss for DayZ GAF.

The 'PVP' stuff is a survival part though. Hopefully better loot makes it easier to form teams - radios/paper/signs etc. could help.

I was in the store at Elektro and there was a tent, immediately I was worried - thinking there could be another repeat of yesterday with the tent set as a temptation. Check it, nothing there. Continue through the store.

FUCK. Some guy runs past the doorway of the side room, chased by a zombie I think. I'm shitting myself and finally decide its time to move in. I ask 'friendly' but a zombie interupts me and I run out of the store, moving around the back. Where I enter.

Two dead survivors. No idea what happened. I go about my business and loot (ended up losing most of it after fucking up a bag search later on and swapped for an empty one). Suddenly something moves, someone has connected in! Their prone. I know that one of the dead was armed, so I fire on him - kill some incoming zombies then realise hes not dead yet. I spent too much time on the zombies so decided to execute.

If I'd realised he wasn't dead I'd maybe have ran out of there; the other guys had medical supplies. He might have fixed up (but then he just as easily might have bled out.

In the end I didn't want to kill him; but fact is I felt I had to. Didn't have time to communicate. I didn't know what happened there, but in a city - its dangerous.

Some people will work together/help each other. I think making it possible to 'reveal' your identity would work, as people would then see your name from a close distance. Knowing its okay to chat.

But in the end the PVP side is just another part of the survival side. In fact its a key side to things that keeps the game changing. This isn't a game to plan your entire life on day1; its a game that seems to ask you to respond to a constantly shifting situation.

Now I know the 2 guys who were killed were buddies, they had a load of medical supplies for group use. Was the third guy? I don't know, I've no idea who he was. All I know is they were a potential danger and I'd taken to long to do anything but shoot. This is partly my fault and just partly damn bad luck.

You're such a downer. Everyone complained about there not being an objective without vehicles and now that we've exhausted that we need something new. Tent city in a city is the new Raid boss for DayZ GAF.

Go be THE MAN and analyze some business while US BLUE COLLAR AMERICANS play Dayz

I don't even know what to do with myself now That I'm good on ammo and food up in NE airfield, maybe I'll look for a bike...

R1CHO

I found matches.

I won my metagame.

matches.png

So, it was dark and I needed to find shelter for the night and found a barn in the middle of nowhere. i go in and inside I see the bodies of 5 dead players. Next thing I know this guy comes from behind and kills me with a hatchet. )=

Later that day I found a building in which two guys were having cyber sex. One of'em was on the ground and the other was crouching up and down on him and they're both saying sexual things. They notice me and the guy standing is like "Dude, go away or we'll shoot you".

Lotta weird people on DayZ

Orgun

So, it was dark and I needed to find shelter for the night and found a barn in the middle of nowhere. i go in and inside I see the bodies of 5 dead players. Next thing I know this guy comes from behind and kills me with a hatchet. )=

Later that day I found a building in which two guys were having cyber sex. One of'em was on the ground and the other was crouching up and down on him and they're both saying sexual things. They notice me and the guy standing is like "Dude, go away or we'll shoot you".

Lotta weird people on DayZ

Hahaha omg

News Bot

Banned
Had a rather tense time the other day when playing with a group of friends. We made our way to the castle while on our way to Stary Sober, and shortly after arriving, one friend (who loves sniper rifles) was scanning the surrounding area and caught a glimpse of a bandit with an FAL, approaching the castle. I was in the forest at the time, not knowing where my friend or this other survivor was. My friend panicked as the bandit got closer, and we all agreed to take him down. My friend fires three shots with his M24, failing to hit him. The bandit jumps behind a rock and disconnects. Zombies are attracted to the shots and swarm us. We hold out in the castle, defending our position. One snipes from the roof, two hold the entrance with a hatchet and Makarov.

We fend the zombies off and carry on, and discover a crashed helicopter in a field next to Stary Sober. This is where things got really tense. With a feeling that something may happen to us, I slowly sunk myself into the nearby trees and foliage and watched over my friends as they took some of the high powered weapons, such as an M14, from the helicopter. Just then, shots are fired. A bandit with a SAW hits one of my friends, sending him into shock with a broken bone. My other friend takes him out, but the bandit disconnects before he hits the ground. Just then, the bandit with an FAL we had seen previously shoots my other friend from a metal shed-like building, killing him. It's clear the SAW and FAL bandits are partners.

I sit prone in the bushes overlooking this chaos, my friend warns me about the FAL bandit's position. I look. The bandit is slowly creeping out of the building, looking around for anymore of us. He doesn't see me. He runs towards the helicopter, intent on pillaging my friend's body and finishing off the other. He aims at my friend who is in shock. I ready my Lee Enfield, zoom in on the bandit, and fire a single shot. He goes down immediately. However, he disconnects. At the very least, I have left him badly wounded.

Apart from the two bandits being little sore-losing dickheads and disconnecting, this is probably my favorite moment ever with this mod. Here's to more good times.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Had a rather tense time the other day when playing with a group of friends. We made our way to the castle while on our way to Stary Sober, and shortly after arriving, one friend (who loves sniper rifles) was scanning the surrounding area and caught a glimpse of a bandit with an FAL, approaching the castle. I was in the forest at the time, not knowing where my friend or this other survivor was. My friend panicked as the bandit got closer, and we all agreed to take him down. My friend fires three shots with his M24, failing to hit him. The bandit jumps behind a rock and disconnects. Zombies are attracted to the shots and swarm us. We hold out in the castle, defending our position. One snipes from the roof, two hold the entrance with a hatchet and Makarov.

We fend the zombies off and carry on, and discover a crashed helicopter in a field next to Stary Sober. This is where things got really tense. With a feeling that something may happen to us, I slowly sunk myself into the nearby trees and foliage and watched over my friends as they took some of the high powered weapons, such as an M14, from the helicopter. Just then, shots are fired. A bandit with a SAW hits one of my friends, sending him into shock with a broken bone. My other friend takes him out, but the bandit disconnects before he hits the ground. Just then, the bandit with an FAL we had seen previously shoots my other friend from a metal shed-like building, killing him. It's clear the SAW and FAL bandits are partners.

I sit prone in the bushes overlooking this chaos, my friend warns me about the FAL bandit's position. I look. The bandit is slowly creeping out of the building, looking around for anymore of us. He doesn't see me. He runs towards the helicopter, intent on pillaging my friend's body and finishing off the other. He aims at my friend who is in shock. I ready my Lee Enfield, zoom in on the bandit, and fire a single shot. He goes down immediately. However, he disconnects. At the very least, I have left him badly wounded.

Apart from the two bandits being little sore-losing dickheads and disconnecting, this is probably my favorite moment ever with this mod. Here's to more good times.

This makes me want to play this so bad...

On a related note... can a 9800gt play this ?

ultron87

Damn. Since my current weapon loadout is a Hatchet and a Lee Enfield it would be nice to be able to quickly switch between the "attract every zombie in town" gun that I'd only use on people and the hatchet for killing a zombie.

Chinner

Banned
man i got so lucky in cherno today.

spawned at the docks and ran past two survivors who were crawling their way into town very slowly, but arguably sensibly. i go to the construction yard and find a few bits and bobs, but more importantly a hatchet which now allows me to somewhat aggressive and stand my ground.

in the first building i enter i find a guile(?) suit and a makalov. as i exit i find one of the players i previously ran past slowly crawl his way into town and into a building. he's weaponless, and was injured. i did my part and administrated some painkillers and ran-off. i'm a nice guy.

along my way to the hospital i find myself an alice pack, and my swag spree pretty much continues as i leave with pretty much every medical item you could ever require. as i jump from the hospital to the small medical base, i hear sniper shots start firing off in the centre of town. i start to crawl my way through assuming he was firing at me, but as when i checked the bottom of the screen i saw at least 3 people killed. i assume the guy i helped was one of the killed.

the tents were like swag city, and i found myself a m16a2 and like 5 mags of ammo for it. i decide its my time to leave cherno, and as i crawl out, i hear more sniper shots take their victims.

gutabo

Damn. Since my current weapon loadout is a Hatchet and a Lee Enfield it would be nice to be able to quickly switch between the "attract every zombie in town" gun that I'd only use on people and the hatchet for killing a zombie.

This is a legit strat to get food fast. On my last life(I'm not playing ATM, got sick of hackers and server hoppers) I was so angry that I got to one of the big, long farm buildings and found an enfield with a couple mags and a hatchet. I went to the middle of the building, shot the enfield once, dropped it and quickly equipped the hatchet to kill the incoming 20+ zombies. Once I was done with the hatchet(which works wonders if you figure out it's really a gun with an effective range of from 2 to 6 meters) after each wave I looted the corpses and hid them. I killed 318 zeds this way and when I felt better I was filled with food and drinks since each "wave" gave me at least one can of food and one can of soda. I even got bandages, ammo and other stuff but not as often. Oh, and LOTS of empty cans/bottles.

Anyone in DayZ GAF a graphics artist/web designer? Wedge and I are in need of your services for a DayZ related project.
I'm a programmer, but I don't really create visual concepts, mostly execute them/program after they're done by another guy. Mostly doing web based stuff now. Sorry :(

Jackl

I'll admit, I thought to myself - as I ran largely without having prepared into Stary Sobor - that I was setting myself up for a fall. But to move carefully from building to building, and get shot and looted while crossing a road away from the person in question, it just frustrates me. They were alone too: why not try teaming up for once, you already had an assault rifle ffs!

People get mighty jumpy in the urban areas. Some are douchebags for sure, however I'm finding it increasingly difficult to be nice to people?

OH hi, wanna join uBANG **Ocean Waves background**
Friendly? BANG **Ocean Waves**

Fuck this.

**Throw flare into general store**
**Wait for foot steps**
**Drop Grenade**
BOOM

/global We're currently closed for business. Please come back during regular operating hours.

nekosaur

I haven't had time to log on for a while now, and soon I won't have access to a computer for almost a month.

The worst.

I can only hope that it will be a tiny bit more polished when I return. Although flipping ATVs on bridges and miraculously surviving feels pretty good.

This is why this game needs the location saved to each server not a global server.

Joining another server means you spawn at the beach again.

WedgeX

Banned
I've given more thought to New GAF City in the wake of its being wiped off the face of the earth. I'll do some surveying of the damage tonight or Monday. In the mean time. I think we should eliminate weapons from our tents. And only stock food, water, and tools. Although the tents should not be stocked with toolboxes or entrenching tools, to cut down on griefing. Doing these things would cut down on the number of unarmed survivors that would pose a threat to us if they happened upon the tents.

Unless we're okay with the current levels of having to protect our camp. Then we can stock weapons and ammo.

And I've created a map of how the city construction should happen. If things did not survive the destruction, its a blueprint. We should avoid placing any wire kits where they cannot be removed or cut through buildings. Otherwise I will hunt you down with my righteous axe. Quote for the blueprints!

The radio message during the last few seconds of the Protvino Pipe Organ video is absolutely fantastic.

Perhaps it is time for the rest of us to apply for ShackTac.

"Confirmed, Broken Arrow"

"I don't know if anyone can hear me, but this is my story"

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

docbon, is it strange that I keep randomly running into you on ACE servers?

I mean what the fuck man, *oh sweet, ACE SRU server, I'll join!*

*hops on ACRE, TS*

docbon: "oh hey legato"

legato: "WHAAAT?"

docbon

docbon, is it strange that I keep randomly running into you on ACE servers?

I mean what the fuck man, *oh sweet, ACE SRU server, I'll join!*

*hops on ACRE, TS*

docbon: "oh hey legato"

legato: "WHAAAT?"

because there are like 4 or 5 populated ACE servers in existence.

Sethos

Banned
You haven't experienced ArmA II + ACE until you've done 6 hour long milsim scenarios with no respawns. When you're dead, no more playing that night with the clan. Then you'll suddenly see people caring about tactical play.

Oh the ole' clan days ...

You haven't experienced ArmA II + ACE until you've done 6 hour long milsim scenarios with no respawns. When you're dead, no more playing that night with the clan. Then you'll suddenly see people caring about tactical play.

Oh the ole' clan days ...

"hey guys i'm so exci- *mortar* WELL SHIT"

Mangotron

UUUUGH. Fuck this mod, seriously. Finally got a good spawn, had an axe and some bandaids/beans and was ALMOST to the place where I was going to meet up with my brother and some asshole snipes me from the hills for no reason.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'm interested in this game, but how buggy is it (since alpha)? is the UI 'that' bad? And how hard is it to link up with friends or find people to link up with?

I'm interested in this game, but how buggy is it? is the UI 'that' bad? And how hard is it to link up with friends or find people to link up with?

The mod is in alpha so it's pretty buggy and the base game itself has its share of bugs, but its still fairly playable. The UI isn't good but I wouldn't call it horrid once you learn it, the UI is ok. As far as meeting up with friends, without using mumble or Skype it would be next to impossible to find them. The map it's self is huge and all the signs are in Russian, but after a while you will learn the in's and out's of the map. As far as meeting other people, that's a risk. You have to be close to the people to talk to them and everyone is so twitchy they may just blast you, but meeting people isn't impossible, I meet a couple people a day in game.

alphaNoid

Banned
The mod is in alpha so it's pretty buggy and the base game itself has its share of bugs, but its still fairly playable. The UI isn't good but I wouldn't call it horrid once you learn it, the UI is ok. As far as meeting up with friends, without using mumble or Skype it would be next to impossible to find them. The map it's self is huge and all the signs are in Russian, but after a while you will learn the in's and out's of the map. As far as meeting other people, that's a risk. You have to be close to the people to talk to them and everyone is so twitchy they may just blast you, but meeting people isn't impossible, I meet a couple people a day in game.

Good to know, some of the downsides actually make the whole experience sound quasi appealing.
KuGsj.gif

notsol337

marked forever
I was with 2 buddies hanging out near Cherno when we decided we were tired of the coast, so we started fresh dudes and headed inland with nothing for the sheer moxie of the experience. We went up to Stary through Zelenogorsk, stopping along the way. All I had was a Lee Enfield, 2 mags, and a can of beans when we got to Stary. Since I had a rifle, I stayed behind while my friends hit the military camp. I set up prone in a bush, and I waited.

One of my buddies spotted a player in the hills above the camp, and he ran into a tent as the bullets started landing on their position. The dude was moving and shooting, and I couldn't find him. Meanwhile, my buddies in the camp are telling me where he is while they shoot back with Makarovs. The dude finally pops out where I can see him, perhaps 350m away. Not knowing if I'll get another chance, I shot at him... and he died. I put a bullet into his head with the ironsights. (Not skill, I think it's safe to call that a fluke.) I ran over to his body, and this is what I looted... A DMR, 4 magazines, an MP5SD, 2 magazines, an alice pack, 3 blood bags, 2 morphine, an epipen, binocs, a map, a compass, a hunting knife, and a hatchet. Dude had to be pissed off. He lost a sniper fight to 2 players with pistols, and one with an Enfield.

Top Bottom