• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

bengraven

This guy "rocket" is making the ARMA publishers money right now. At this point, if Rocket is smart, he's contacting them and basically saying "what are we going to do about this?".

Either they need to hire him, help him and compensate him, or he should threaten to bolt to another pasture and stop using ARMA as the basis for his mod. Because the ball is in his field right now.

The M.O.B

I don't even like realistic army sim games but im buying the Arma pack just so I can play this.

When is Gaf going to get together?

DTKT

This guy "rocket" is making the ARMA publishers money right now. At this point, if Rocket is smart, he's contacting them and basically saying "what are we going to do about this?".

Either they need to hire him, help him and compensate him, or he should threaten to bolt to another pasture and stop using ARMA as the basis for his mod. Because the ball is in his field right now.

Rocket works at BIS(the creator of ARMA).

I'm sure they know by now. :p

Thats copy protection kicking in.. Usually happens on pirated versions. Not saying you pirated as its been known to happen on legit copy's rarely

Nope, happened to be too. It's the spectator mode. I guess your character didn't load properly and the server spawned you as birds.

I think playing on a day server might be more fun, but at night, even with gamma cranked, isn't really that fun to me...you kind of walk around until some zombie notices you, and the zombies seem to teleport around you so crouching backwards and shooting with the pistol doesn't help much. =/ Apparently all humans spawn at the south of the map and everyone plays on the north of the map, so meeting up with people sounds like it's impossible without holding down sprint for an hour or two either, lol.

Yeah, night is definitely less fun solo. There needs to be some kind of incentive for players to actually play during darkness. Better item spawn or special vehicles. I'm too scared to go out at night. :|

Blizzard

Banned
I think playing on a day server might be more fun, but at night, even with gamma cranked, isn't really that fun to me...you kind of walk around until some zombie notices you, and the zombies seem to teleport around you so crouching backwards and shooting with the pistol doesn't help much. =/ Apparently all humans spawn at the south of the map and everyone plays on the north of the map, so meeting up with people sounds like it's impossible without holding down sprint for an hour or two either, lol.

My character just died :(

He had a good run 179 zombies 52 head shots 2 bandits killed.

He died from lack of food of all things. Once I needed food my screen started to dim and flash making fending off zombies impossible. I was swarmed by 30 zombies or so.

owlbeak

God damn this mod. So awesome and terrifying!

It was dark, I had met up with a friend on the coast, planning to go look for supplies in Elektro. We meet another guy and he comes along. He sets off a flare near a warehouse and about twenty zombies came at us from all directions, one of our party got swarmed, me and my friend barely had any more ammo, so we ran. Our third man was surrounded and overrun so we left him for dead, because we didn't have the ammo or med supplies he would need.

We went on, made it to Elektro and were looking for supplies when three gunshots rang out. My friend got killed when a fourth shot hit him in the head. I panicked, ran into a house and went prone, looking out the window across the room. About five minutes later I saw someone walk in front of the window outside the house. I left the house, walked around the corner where I expected to see him but I saw nothing. Then I got shot from behind in the leg, my guy fell to the ground, I spun around and unloaded a clip from my makarov at a guy standing in the street, he fell over dead.

Turns out, it was the guy me and my friend had left when we got swarmed by zombies. I chatted at him and he said when we left him, he managed to fight off the rest of the zombies and then decided to track us down and kill us for abandoning him.

Stuff like that is why this is such a great mod. :)

The thing about playing at night is it's really a different experience. You have to hope for a clear night with moon shining or carry a flare until you find a flashlight or chemlight. You really have to play it slower and more deliberate when you can't see since bandits stalking you and you can draw attention of zombies with too much light. You definitely need more patience if you want to play at night. I prefer days but once you get to know where you are a bit more, night isn't too bad. I'd definitely recommend playing days if you haven't played much before though. In daylight, being able to see towns, cities, and things in the distance to reach gives better obtainable goals on the way to getting to the north, if that's your final destination. I didn't realize how much I was missing the first time I played at night.

It's too janky right now to try to be really accurate when shooting zombies (if they're coming at you). I've been hit through walls and had them teleport into closed buildings before, but it's just one of those things about playing a game this early. I kept trying to ironsight headshots when they were running at me in the beginning but now I only go for that if they haven't spotted me yet.

Got everything downloaded and have played three times now, it's good fun but I haven't been very lucky at all.

My first (and best) time I spawned on the coast and met up with another lonesome guy. We teamed up for about 20 minutes until we found another pair near a building on the coast. Unfortunately they attacked us and it got really messy, I'm not sure anyone made it out alive.

The second game I spawned in the middle of a gigantic forest. I walked and ran for about 15 minutes straight without seeing anything and then I got booted from the server because my ping was too high.

My third time I spawned in a forest again, only this time I was able to find a town after a bit of exploring. It was thick with zombies, I killed maybe 10 of them before I got ripped apart by five other ones.

The only supplies I found over the course of those three lives was a wire fencing kit :(

Keep playing goose maybe you can meet up with the fellow gaffers playing. This game gets 10x more fun when playing with others.

While running north for 2 hours in the wilderness until you find the edge of the map not so much fun.

wwm0nkey

Found an AK and these 2 guys tried to kill me but I lit one the fuck up but sadly the other one hadn't actually killed anyone yet so when i killed him I turned into a bandit :(

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off

You have to make it fun. Tonight I saw a group of people standing around a flare. I ran through a town near them and had a whole group of zombies on my ass. I ran right into the middle of the group :)

I was finally able to get into the game and managed to start out with a clear night so I was able to move around quite a bit and I have to say, this game is absolutely amazing. I love ARMA 2 because of stuff like this.

I managed to work my around to Tulga and decided to head north to Solnichniy by way of Three Valleys. I snuck into a Barn along the road and noticed like 15 dead Zombies so I climb up to the 2 floor and get attacked by a Zed up there. The shots draw in another 3 and I managed to put them all down. At this point I've been in the barn for like 3 or 4 minutes and I decide to throw a flare out to get a good look around for loot. The room lights up and I turn to my left... and I nearly jumped out of my seat. There is another survivor just sitting there with a Winchester in the corner. He must have been there the whole time. We exchanged greetings and I gave him some Winchester ammo and he left.

I can't believe this is only an Alpha.

bounchfx

I really hope this becomes a full game. I love the concept, and want to get it soon if ARMA goes on sale. The only thing I want is more polish + weather, but then again I haven't played it yet.. just judging by the videos it's janky as hell, but if it's 'alpha' that's expected. I just really hope this proves there's a market for this kind of game and someone makes one full steam.

DTKT

I really hope this becomes a full game. I love the concept, and want to get it soon if ARMA goes on sale. The only thing I want is more polish + weather, but then again I haven't played it yet.. just judging by the videos it's janky as hell, but if it's 'alpha' that's expected. I just really hope this proves there's a market for this kind of game and someone makes one full steam.

There is rain + thunderstorm in the game.

Crawling near a zombie during a thunderstorm is the most terrifying thing ever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I love how this threads blown up and there's youtube videos and a community building around this. Maybe it does have a retail appeal after all...

Blizzard

Banned
Just to make sure, is this what it's supposed to look like at night?

arma19rk7b.jpg

I really wish there was a way to get rid of the giant solid debug monitor overlay, like a toggle button.

sixghost

Alright, I've never even played ARMA but I'm convinced I need to play this mod now.

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a few questions I haven't been able to answer in the few pages I've read.

How does the game handle you logging off? Are you at risk at all when you aren't connected, forcing you to find a safe place to stay, or can you just log off anywhere and be alright.

Are there any non-player, non-zombie characters in the game, or do you know it's a real person if it's not a zombie?

How is the combat when it does come down to player vs player, I imagine it would be the most frustrating thing in the world if you lose a character that had been alive for a couple weeks because you caught a lag spike, or something dumb like that during a fight.

Also, how common is it to run into a player that is a dick? Hopefully the more hardcore crowd the source-game caters to would mean that people aren't just running around killing every player they see, every time they spawn.

DTKT

Alright, I've never even played ARMA but I'm convinced I need to play this mod now.

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a few questions I haven't been able to answer in the few pages I've read.

How does the game handle you logging off? Are you at risk at all when you aren't connected, forcing you to find a safe place to stay, or can you just log off anywhere and be alright.

Are there any non-player, non-zombie characters in the game, or do you know it's a real person if it's not a zombie?

How is the combat when it does come down to player vs player, I imagine it would be the most frustrating thing in the world if you lose a character that had been alive for a couple weeks because you caught a lag spike, or something dumb like that during a fight.

Also, how common is it to run into a player that is a dick? Hopefully the more hardcore crowd the source-game caters to would mean that people aren't just running around killing every player they see, every time they spawn.

- For now, there is a Boolean value called "Unsaved". If it's at false, you are safe to log off and your character data was saved. If it's at true, you need to wait for the server to sync your current data with the database. It can take up to 200 seconds depending on how the server is performing. The full release will probably have a permanent save system. The issue is that the more frequent the save is, the more the server needs to work. Servers have crashed due to excessive saving.

- No. For now, we just have the survivor model + the bandit skin. Both are pretty easy to distinguish. You'll have no issue spotting zombies either. ;)

- ARMA combat system is "okay". It's not a twitch FPS and you need to aim before firing. There are some issues with the hit detection but the combat is okay.

- For now, the community is pretty bad. I tend to avoid or shoot on sight most players. There is just a big risk when you start to work with people you don't know.

bengraven

My only worry is that in a few months the community is going to be shit. It's going to be kids with plenty of time on their hands mobbing up the servers and the game will cease to be about zombies and be more like "survive for 5 minutes in a bandit filled wasteland".

Which itself would be a great game. Mad Max mod, come at me.

Tain

As far as I can tell, it's being honest and talking about what's presented.

The bigger issue is that zombies seem to need to stop moving to deal damage, imo.

DTKT

As far as I can tell, it's being honest and talking about what's presented.

The bigger issue is that zombies seem to need to stop moving to deal damage, imo.

Agreed. But that let's me kite an infinite number of zombies. :p

Conceptor

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Just died because I attempted to look over a ledge and my character fell off. What a stupid way to end such an eventful session too. PSA: AVOID HEIGHTS LIKE THE PLAGUE :( IM SORRY FREAKINCHAIR/FTF

Conceptor your stories are awesome, keep them up.
Thanks! :>. They more or less write themselves with this game.

My only worry is that in a few months the community is going to be shit. It's going to be kids with plenty of time on their hands mobbing up the servers and the game will cease to be about zombies and be more like "survive for 5 minutes in a bandit filled wasteland".

Which itself would be a great game. Mad Max mod, come at me.

Not really possible, even if all 49 other players on the server are bandits, the fucking world is so huge you can go hours and not see anybody, at that point it turns more into The Road than say the Walking Dead

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Real time based on server's location

Well its whatever local time the server say it is, at least thats what it sounds like. The host of the US3/4/5 servers said he set his to Pacific time to provide some diversity, but all his servers were located in NYC.

So if GAF ever gets a server we could technically set it to whatever time we want, so if the majority of players were from the -5 to -8GMT timezones but we all generally played in the late evenings, we could set the local time in the game to say Juneau or Honolulu time if we wanted to play primarily during daylight but close out in the night. Or if we wanted to start out at night but play primarily in the early morning we could set it to like Kabul time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's going to be interesting to see how this develops and how the devs handle long term play. I feel simply adding tons of loot and crap to the game and a traditional "long survival = better rewards" system will turn a lot of people off. They need to make sure they keep a good balance between fear of death, and the perma death not breaking the experience.

Been playing last few hours. Have had a ton of fun in a few random groups. Add me on steam or send me a PM and we can jump on same server and play. I'm on Hawaiian Time so I'll be on for the next few hours. Hit me up on Steam folks? Steam: Krappadizzle

Well its whatever local time the server say it is, at least thats what it sounds like. The host of the US3/4/5 servers said he set his to Pacific time to provide some diversity, but all his servers were located in NYC.

So if GAF ever gets a server we could technically set it to whatever time we want, so if the majority of players were from the -5 to -8GMT timezones but we all generally played in the late evenings, we could set the local time in the game to say Juneau or Honolulu time if we wanted to play primarily during daylight but close out in the night. Or if we wanted to start out at night but play primarily in the early morning we could set it to like Kabul time.

Sorry, that's more what I meant. In my head I was thinking how I'm in Dallas and play on Dallas server so time is the same but forgot some were generic names like US1 and UK2, etc.

One big issue I saw from videos is a general lack of goods to be found. Is this the case?

It just really depends where you are. Big cities have better loot but you have to deal with more zombies. Military bases have better weapons but bandits basically live there. Hospitals have blood packs but is surrounded by zombies in the city. Items respawn eventually but if someone got there right before you, you have less. Your inventory space is relatively small until you can find a bigger bag so you definitely hit a point where you're trying to prioritize between bandages and ammo, to carry a handgun or flashlight, painkillers or injections, extra water bottles or food, etc. Then if you want to try to rebuild vehicles you need more space to carry those items. If you're grouping up it cuts both ways since they may have items to help you but it's hard to split of the scarce better items you do come across. Early spawning variety is probably an issue since you're usually hitting the same towns until you can dig deeper, but that's just more of a reason you don't want to die.

ScRYeD

One big issue I saw from videos is a general lack of goods to be found. Is this the case?
I haven't had any trouble finding items I could use. Found a few different guns, found heaps of ammo. Mostly for my starter weapon and weapons I don't have. The problem is you can use up a lot of ammo, it's the case for me, no aiming skills at all. Another problem is managing your inventory, bandages, flares, chem lights, car parts, parts for traps and pistol ammo and all in the same inventory location. Same goes with rifle/shotgun inventory section. Food, painkillers and ammo also fill the same space in your inventory.

Top Bottom