• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Action Comics #960 - ★ - I've officially wasted $12 on this series.  /kramerimout.gif 

Batgirl #1 - ★★★ - Decent first book, with that Albuquerque art making everything pop. I don't really care for Batgirl as a character, and I've never been one to care about following multiple Bat family books, but this should appeal to Barbara fans. I'll likely stick around for at least one more. This book cost me three American dollars.

Detective Comics #937 - ★★★★★ - This is the Batman book you're looking for, even if it's not written by a trained CIA super assassin. Detective does what King don't. It only costs $2.99.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1 - ★★ - It's a Green Lantern comic. It has rings and lots of pretty colors. I just started reading through the seminal 2005 run from Johns, and this feels like I've seen it all before.
Green versus yellow. Same villain.
$2.99.

Nightwing #1 - ★★★★ - I have a feeling this is going to be a fun book. Good clean up of what came with New 52 Nightwing/Grayson, while giving me a clear idea of where the book is headed. Cameos galore...this is a Bat book, after all. I happily paid $2.99 for this Dick.

Titans #1 - ★ - Terrible comic is terrible. This book suffers from a complete lack of direction, awful art, and the most shoehorned references to being "watched" and losing time and identity. It's bad, fam. Dropped. $2.99.

Wonder Woman #3 - ★★★★ - First "modern" issue that clicked with me. I like pretty much everything about this. I would prefer Rucka stick with the entire year one story instead of alternating, but this does keep the book fresh every two weeks. Art is magnificent, almost worth the two dollar and ninety-nine cent admission price all by itself.

Detective Comics was so good. I didn't pick up any of the other Rebirth books though. I might get Nightwing but Titans can wait until Brett Booth gets off it permanently.

Is Nightwing Rebirth needed? I kinda want to skip it.

It's actually possible the Bab's stuff in Nightwing was before her trip, since it was a flashback from Nightwing's current point in time.

Detective Comics was so good. I didn't pick up any of the other Rebirth books though. I might get Nightwing but Titans can wait until Brett Booth gets off it permanently.

Probably. If you read Robin War and Grayson it lets you know what's current and what's resolved. If you didn't it explains wth is going on.

If you kept up with Grayson and read Robin War, it's skippable (tho fun). Otherwise, definitely gonna wanna pick it up.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go ahead and buy it then. I didn't read Grayson

Yeah, unlike most other Rebirth one shots, this one led directly into today's issue. In another world where DC wasn't trying to squeeze out two separate #1s per series, they would have simply been numbered #1 and #2.

Yeah, unlike most other Rebirth one shots, this one led directly into today's issue. In another world where DC wasn't trying to squeeze out two separate #1s per series, they would have simply been numbered #1 and #2.

Yeah, Batgirl / BoP Rebirth is probably necessary for BoP but not Batgirl.

Red Hood Rebirth seems like it's probably going to be necessary too.

Titans Rebirth was too.

Justice League / Batman really weren't.

TheFlow

Banned
Batgirl #1
nothing amazing but it was solid. Love the art, didn't notice the drop in art quality in some panels. I was too busy analyzing the fight scene panels towards the end.

3.5/5 slightly above average, but this sounds like a training arc, and I love training arcs. won't drop

Nightwing #1

the whole lead up to Dick's meet up with his new
partner was soooo good
Nightwing is my favorite bat character, and I think Orlando might finally give us some happiness. sike!
Raptor beating his ass down like a dog, and delivering the best line of the year is how you do it

5/5 because Dick got an intervention

Detective comics #937

oh man, so many critical details in this book. All the questions have been answered, so I guess it is time for the fighting.

Also yea, the coloring/art in this book was hands down amazing. like Green Arrow amazing.

5/5 best bat book on the market

Wonder Woman #3

What a fast paced issue. Never cared for Cheetah till now.

4/5 I won't be able to pronounce those names

After all the crap slung at Lobdell on this forum I didn't expect Red Hood Rebirth to be that good. And I''m seeing people on Reddit say his previous run was dope too. I think I'm gonna buy it since it's on sale on Comixology.

MartyStu

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth

This was legitimately one of the better rebirth issues. That is still sinking in.

And while I am a proud Lobdell-hater, I will say that he has always done a good job mining/retelling Jason's past.

The question here is if the main book can build on this modest amount of intrigue.

If he stays the course and maintains quality, I would really like to see a crossover with Trinity eventually.

What the fuck even is Action Comics? I just don't get the point of this book at this point. I completely hate Jon and Lois in this book. Every issue is just the exact same thing with a little bit different action and just a different person asking who the fuck Clark Kent is. This is just boring dumb shit that is trying to keep people around by asking the same question every issue.

Action Comics #960: I understand the hate for this but I found it to be a really fun guilty pleasure that lives up to the series' name. It's all about action and Kirkham delivers on that front. I really like the way he draws Doomsday and Wonder Woman, she almost looks like a manga character (in a good way). It's a strange contrast to the more character driven Lois & Clark series that Jurgens was writing a few months ago. I don't know that I would recommend it to other people but I really like it. 3/5

Wonder Woman #4 : After a pretty rough start this is getting better and better with every issue. Rucka is going for a completely different tone than in his previous WW run and after a period of adjustment, it's starting to pay off nicely, I can't wait to see where this goes. Liam Sharp's artwork is a bit uneven, it's really beautiful and detailed on some pages but sometimes he struggles to convey movement or action. 3.5/5

Batgirl #1: Damn, that was good! One of my favorite Rebirth books. I haven't read Batgirl since Simone's run (which I disliked) at the beginning ot the New 52 and I'm still somewhat bitter over Barbara not being Oracle anymore but this was just a perfectly crafted and fun superhero book. I love the Japanese setting, the writer uses a lot of clichés of 60s and 70s asian cinema and they are very well executed. I'm looking forward to the fighting tournament next issue, I love those types of film so it's nice to see Batgirl in that universe. Superb artwork from Albuquerque, it reminded me a bit of Leinil Yu in some panels. I also liked the way they handled the different languages in the speech bubbles, very original. 4.5/5 Winner of the Best Rebirth first issue Award!

I still have a huge number of issues to get through as I'm still not done with some of last week's comics. I'm kind of dreading Titans #1. I wanted to try at least the first issue of every new series but that Rebirth issue was rough.

Effect

I actually don't understand the complaints some have about Action Comics. I've been really enjoying it. Though I didn't read the New 52 run so I'm not losing that Superman but instead getting the one I used to read about. The fight went on for a while in the last few issues so if pacing is an issue then yeah I can get that but since we're getting two issues a month it isn't as big of a problem that it might normally be I think. I like the more action focus.

Looking at some of the comments on the CBR forum from some people and I really question the reading comprehension of some people that read comics. A few there are complaining about things that make me wonder if we read the same issue or not. I'm glad I don't even bother checking threads before reading issues. My reaction at times is like night and day to some people.

I actually don't understand the complaints some have about Action Comics. I've been really enjoying it. Though I didn't read the New 52 run so I'm not losing that Superman but instead getting the one I used to read about. The fight went on for a while in the last few issues so if pacing is an issue then yeah I can get that but since we're getting two issues a month it isn't as big of a problem that it might normally be I think. I like the more action focus.

Looking at some of the comments on the CBR forum from some people and I really question the reading comprehension of some people that read comics. A few there are complaining about things that make me wonder if we read the same issue or not. I'm glad I don't even bother checking threads before reading issues. My reaction at times is like night and day to some people.

My complaint is that it feels like it's going nowhere and that it knows it isn't. It's been four issues and you can basically sum all four up by the same basic events.

-The book starts with Oz referencing in some way that stuff is going as planned.
-Lis and Jon talk about the last time Supes faced Doomsday and is basically used as an attempt to create suspense.
-Someone sees the new Clark kent and wonders who he is while stating how he owes them answers
-Spes and Lex go back and forth about not trusting each other while fighting Doomsday.

It's been four issues and not a single one has been different. They all follow that basic structure. This book seems to be the prime example of peoples fear of going twice monthly that the books would feel too stretched out and boring. It's fine being focused on action but something at least has to happen. Four issues in and nothing has happened, we know nothing now that we didn't before and nothing has changed. Almost an entire TPB and nothing has happened.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Action Comics is really dull, think I'll drop it.

Superman is a better comic.
Same. Also, Detective Comics still continues to be my preferred Batbook. Green Lantern post-rebirth issue is off to a good start and I really enjoyed Red Hood.

Mostly good stuff all around.

The complaint about Action Comics is pretty easy to understand. We're four issues in and every issue has been identical. It's repetitive. There's no story progression to follow. Just a bunch of dropping trains and buses on Doomsday and him yelling, "ARRRRGHHHHH!"

Feels like they're stalling by deliberately stretching two sentences of writing out over four issues.

do i need to read that 80 page Rebirth comic before starting Superman?

It sets the stage more for Action Comics than Superman. And friends don't let friends read Action Comics.

I don't think so.
What are the goods from Rebirth so far?

My super scientific rankings:

Best
Green Arrow
Detective Comics

Good
Wonder Woman
Nightwing
Superman
Batman

Okay
New Super-Man
Batgirl
Hal Jordan

Nope
Action Comics
Aquaman
The Flash
Green Lanterns
The Hellblazer
Justice League
Titans

TheFlow

Banned
Tragics list sums it up except New superman

New super man is top tier

Either way make sure you are pulling green arrow and detective comics

I heard great things about Green Arrow so I will catch up on that series. Thank you for the list.

The Otto Schmidt art is insanely good. The Juan Ferreyra (alternative artist) stuff is fine, but it's a step below. Writing is consistently stellar, and really hits all the right notes on liberal warrior Ollie.

VanWinkle

The Otto Schmidt art is insanely good. The Juan Ferreyra (alternative artist) stuff is fine, but it's a step below. Writing is consistently stellar, and really hits all the right notes on liberal warrior Ollie.

I mean, I'd say Ferreyra's a decent step above "fine," though. His style is far from generic and it's got a really beautiful painted style. He also had a great sense of action sequencing and nice panel layouts.

I still like Schmidt's art best for this particular book. But Ferreyra is a GREAT artist.

Ross61

I like Green Arrow, but the writing gets a little cringeworthy sometimes. And I get it the corniness thing the GA books have, but when it's every character it gets a annoying. Still like it....

So I just read Justice League #1. Wow, that was boring. Not even interesting with stupid/funny dialogue like Green Lanterns. It was just stiff, unnatural, and yawn-worthy. And the art was very inconsistent. I won't bother with the next issue.

So this week.

Batman: This is where the excretions hit the oscillator. The major take away for me though was that I now understand why a lot of people like The Wall
Absolutely implacable in the face of Batman but not remotely unaware of his capability either. Also Jesus Christ someone needs to add a rule to US government Black Ops programs that of your plan involved using a psychotic Gotham villain , it requires additional clearance and a full psych assessment of you and them. These things go predictably wrong.

Nightwing: Less good than last week. Think this is a beat issue that will probably work better in trade. It's not a bad issue itself but the arc stuff doesn't feel woven enough.

Suicide Squad Rebirth: I found it meh (few things are more ethically distasteful to me than people doing evil for the greater good and refusing to be accountable for it. x10 for state actors) but it was very much classic Suicide Squad. I think the fans will like it.

Justice League: Next issue looks like it may go somewhere. Which is good because this one still hasn't. Also the writer needs to leave character stuff (beyond the necessary) to the books of those with them and focus on those without and intercharacter dynamics far to much space wasted on that.

aly

Nightwing: Great issue.
Seely basically summing up everything that is wrong with Nightwing as a superhero. Calling him out for being Batman lite and the stupid Babs pining.

kmfdmpig

It sets the stage more for Action Comics than Superman. And friends don't let friends read Action Comics.

My super scientific rankings:

Good way to rank them.

Mine would be similar:
Best
Green Arrow
Detective Comics
Batman

Good
Wonder Woman
Superman
New Super-Man
Hal Jordan
Batgirl

Okay
Action Comics
Aquaman
The Hellblazer
Nightwing

Nope
The Flash
Green Lanterns
Justice League

Too early to tell:
Titans
Birds of Prey
Red Hood

MartyStu

Batman #4

Well...

...That escalated rather quickly.

I still have a ton of issues with this story, but this book is still solidly the second best Batstory right now.

As I keep on saying, I think we will look back on this story near the end of King's run much more fondly than we do now. Just feels like one of those milestones.

jph139

Something about the pacing of bimonthly books just feels... off to me. They feel sort of rushed, but also inconsequential in a way. I feel like there's a lot of decompression and wheel-spinning, which is probably a criticism of superhero comes in general nowadays, but the speed at which these are being pushed out might be exacerbating it. Action Comics is the biggest offender (four issues of the same nothing), but the same is true of Green Arrow and Batman, honestly. The whole Gotham plot felt like a standstill since the first issue, then suddenly accelerated out of nowhere in #4.

I dunno. They're not bad, just off. Maybe they'd read better as trades?

kmfdmpig

Something about the pacing of bimonthly books just feels... off to me. They feel sort of rushed, but also inconsequential in a way. I feel like there's a lot of decompression and wheel-spinning, which is probably a criticism of superhero comes in general nowadays, but the speed at which these are being pushed out might be exacerbating it. Action Comics is the biggest offender (four issues of the same nothing), but the same is true of Green Arrow and Batman, honestly. The whole Gotham plot felt like a standstill since the first issue, then suddenly accelerated out of nowhere in #4.

I agree regarding Action Comics, but to me it seems like Batman and Green Arrow have covered a fair amount of ground four issues in.

Proc

I'm feeling the same way. Especially with the books I care most about. They are over too quickly and I am often left unsatisfied. Six-eight additional pages would go a long way for me in a lot of issues.

I'm hoping all-star batman feels meatier. For now I'll continue on with a few books but otherwise I'll be waiting for trades.

Speaking of trades, I've been devouring Morrison's Batman run this week. Just starting Final Crisis now, wish me luck!

I just became a comic book fan at the tail end of Snyder's Batman run. I'm so glad I did!

I'm really enjoying it for now. As you say, most books are written in longer arcs so this way we get to the resolution more quickly. The art is a concern. DC really needs to have three regular pencilers for a book to keep things consistent.

I agree regarding Action Comics, but to me it seems like Batman and Green Arrow have covered a fair amount of ground four issues in.

I love King's works but the pacing in Batman was odd. Slow development and then like a train wreck.

Edited: just finished WW#3. Yeah, I like the Year One storyline much more.

I love King's works but the pacing in Batman was odd. Slow development and then like a train wreck.

Edited: just finished WW#3. Yeah, I like the Year One storyline much more.

I think they really should have done a 'normal' arc with the Gotham's as allies then moved to this. It would make the references in other books make more sense too. Things went to hell the same issue we found out who they were which is overly compressed and kills the dramatic impact. But you can't really 'start' on a 'normal' arc either.

First Rebirth drops: Aquaman, Green Lanterns, Justice League

Rankings: Green Arrow>Batman>Suicide Squad>Nightwing>Superman

Batman was pretty amazing while reading but after reading thinking back it was really confusing and convoluted. Why would Waller have the numbers add up to give away the team? Did they only add up that way because a soldier was missing? How did that missing soldier find Gotham's parents? How did Gotham piece together one of the soldiers was missing? There was just too many questions afterwards. It was a lot of great suspense and awesome pacing but afterward I just had too many issues with it.

Green Arrow continues to be great fun and the cheese dialogue didn't even bother me in this issue. Really loving this book and it surprises me with that fact ever two weeks.

Probably my first SS and I really liked it.

Nightwing was a lot better than the first issue which I really didn't like. I still didn't like Seeley's dialogue and the art was off but this issue was a lot more fun to read than last issue.

Superman was just ok while being a little weird.

First Rebirth drops: Aquaman, Green Lanterns, Justice League

Rankings: Green Arrow>Batman>Suicide Squad>Nightwing>Superman

Batman was pretty amazing while reading but after reading thinking back it was really confusing and convoluted. Why would Waller have the numbers add up to give away the team? Did they only add up that way because a soldier was missing? How did that missing soldier find Gotham's parents? How did Gotham piece together one of the soldiers was missing? There was just too many questions afterwards. It was a lot of great suspense and awesome pacing but afterward I just had too many issues with it.

Green Arrow continues to be great fun and the cheese dialogue didn't even bother me in this issue. Really loving this book and it surprises me with that fact ever two weeks.

Probably my first SS and I really liked it.

Nightwing was a lot better than the first issue which I really didn't like. I still didn't like Seeley's dialogue and the art was off but this issue was a lot more fun to read than last issue.

Superman was just ok while being a little weird.

It was each of the soldiers numbers individually and yeah that would be a bad idea for a black ops group. Though given Waller was expecting Batman she might have done it deliberately. Or Lane might have because thus issue makes him look like an arrogant moron.

It was each of the soldiers numbers individually and yeah that would be a bad idea for a black ops group. Though given Waller was expecting Batman she might have done it deliberately. Or Lane might have because thus issue makes him look like an arrogant moron.

Even if completely intentional for whatever reason, how does Gotham figure out there was a soldier missing and that soldier figured out where he lived and was at his home?

I feel like something is going on with perception in this book at the moment. I feel like there is something going on with Strange and Pirate and sometimes what we're seeing isn't accurate. What Gotham was doing when the soldiers arrived seems weird, Lady Gotham being found where she was and how she is seems a little weird. I'm thinking there is going to be more revealed as it goes along. Still, this issue in and of itself was just weird and felt convoluted I'm just hoping it all makes sense in the end.

mosaic

go eat paint
So, I don't follow Harley Quinn at all... and I absolutely hated this book. It felt like a dumbed down version of Deadpool with Zombies. Is this normal for a Harley Quinn title?

kmfdmpig

So, I don't follow Harley Quinn at all... and I absolutely hated this book. It felt like a dumbed down version of Deadpool with Zombies. Is this normal for a Harley Quinn title?

Agreed. It was the first solo Harley book I've read and it just seemed juvenile and nonsensical. I like fun books like the old run of Power Girl, but this seemed like an absolute mess.

MartyStu

I am going to have to disagree here.

The content is fine, and not all that different than normal. The weirdness comes from not having the full month to process it.

I am going to have to disagree here.

The content is fine, and not all that different than normal. The weirdness comes from not having the full month to process it.

That's quite true, but it is quite nice if you are really enjoying a title to not have to wait another four weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom