• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

God. I couldn't even finish Harley Queen #1.

I could quickly tell it wasn't for me, but it's hard to imagine who it is for. I haven't really seen the character in years outside of the occasional Suicide Squad comic, but it's hard to imagine that books like Rebirth 1 are what has helped make her so much more popular in recent years.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK, I wanted to read Superman but... what?

First page, Clark is dead? Who is this guy?

Can someone bring me up to speed?

DC did a story a few years ago where the Pre-New 52 Superman (the Superman from the previous universe before DC rebooted) was pulled into the New 52 universe. He is married to Lois Lane and has a kid. He was living covertly and raising his kid with Lois while the New 52 Superman was the public Superman. New 52 Superman died right before rebirth and now the old Superman has taken up the mantle again. This was done partially because a lot of fans didn't like the New 52 Superman.

Also, before New 52 Superman died his Clark Kent identity was revealed so everyone knew who he was. People are confused now that a new Superman and a new Clark Kent have shown up and are both in the same place. The new Clark Kent's purpose and identity are still a mystery, Superman doesn't even know who he is.

NeonZ

New 52 Superman died, but Superman from before the last reboot (Flashpoint) made it to the current universe during Convergence, alongside Lois and their son (born during a Convergence tie-in mini).

The Rebirth #1 book also introduced a twist that should come into play eventually, although it hasn't been revealed to the Superman line characters yet (The current world is just the previous world with some time and memories stolen, not a different timeline altogether, which brings a question regarding who was the New 52 Superman).

MartyStu

Sounds like from what I keep hearing he isn't a good fit for Bats. They should have put him on Green Lantern anyway after Omega Man and that Darkseid War oneshot he did.

Yeah, he is a pretty poor fit. But I still maintain that the book is still pretty good. Just a bit disjointed.

The Rebirth #1 book also introduced a twist that should come into play eventually, although it hasn't been revealed to the Superman line characters yet (The current world is just the previous world with some time and memories stolen, not a different timeline altogether, which brings a question regarding who was the New 52 Superman).

So who is the N52 Lois Lane too? There are so many differences between pre-N52 and N52 in Supes stories that no onw can buy that everything-is-the-same-timeline crap.

VeeP

Not really sure what all the hate for Batman is about. Comic has been excellent. I'm loving some of the Supeeman parallels. And oh man, Batman and General Lane haha. Awesome.

And detective comics. Holy shit. James Tynion, returning to form. His tim drake is great. I'm hoping he writes a Red Robin/Tim Drake book some day.

Not really sure what all the hate for Batman is about. Comic has been excellent. I'm loving some of the Supeeman parallels. And oh man, Batman and General Lane haha. Awesome.

And detective comics. Holy shit. James Tynion, returning to form. His tim drake is great. I'm hoping he writes a Red Robin/Tim Drake book some day.

It's weird because I've seen very little hate for Batman all up. The general opinion seems to be that Batman is good but Tec is better.

VeeP

It's weird because I've seen very little hate for Batman all up. The general opinion seems to be that Batman is good but Tec is better.

Hate was a strong word. But I'm definitely getting a feeling that people aren't really enjoying Batman that much, and that's fine, everyone has opinions. Personally, I think King is killing it. Felt a bit rushed, but the whole arc has been solid so far.

As for Tec being better, I'm glad. Steph, Tim, and Cass are finally on a book that's getting critical acclaim and notice.

MartyStu

I think some of the new animosity comes from the fact that King is severely under-performing.

Vision, Omega Men, Grayson are all significantly better than anything we have seen in Batman so far.

I think some of the new animosity comes from the fact that King is severely under-performing.

Vision, Omega Men, Grayson are all significantly better than anything we have seen in Batman so far.

The comparison to Grayson I get but Batman isn't the book for the kind of storytelling found in Vision / Omega Men, Batman is the Batman as a superhero book (which for Batman means the grey and tragedy is in other places). I mean they aren't tonally at odds with Batman completely the way they would be with say Superman but it'd be a side book like Batman Confidential or something (or even Tec at times but it's otherwise occupied). Sometimes I think people set themselves up for disappointment by looking in the wrong places for the kind of storytelling they want.

Ross61

It honestly took a while before Grayson really got good.

Nah, man. Grayson was good from issue #1. It had a rough spot or two during the run, but it was a quality book.

I have no way to look it up, but I've wondered if there was a way to see issues Seeley wrote more than King because there are some issues(like the one where they were breaking in to a place and Spyral was going to kill Dick with the spider things) where the dialogue was just fucking terrible and it didn't seem King like.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Definitely do that, it's a masterclass.

Other than the Court of Owls issue, which is deeply stupid. But by and large, it's great.

nice, copped. iPad comic reading makes buying comics almost too easy...

don't tell my wife but i have been in a real "fatherhood" reading kick lately 😬

I have no way to look it up, but I've wondered if there was a way to see issues Seeley wrote more than King because there are some issues(like the one where they were breaking in to a place and Spyral was going to kill Dick with the spider things) where the dialogue was just fucking terrible and it didn't seem King like.

There was a relatively recent interview which suggested they alternated primary writing duties IIRC.

There was a relatively recent interview which suggested they alternated primary writing duties IIRC.

I can see it. You look at stuff like issue 16(Probably my favorite single issue of a comic in a long while) with Dick having his theme song with him and Tiger taking down Spyral and compare it to the issue I mentioned in that post and you just wonder how that is even close to the same writers.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The "hate" for Batman has been that some parts of the story do not make sense, or are too much of a stretch even for superhero/batman standards.

The "hate" for Batman has been that some parts of the story do not make sense, or are too much of a stretch even for superhero/batman standards.

That's just this one issue with some dumb stuff in it. Before then it was mostly that it just didn't live up to what people expected from King or what Snyder had done before. I still have thought it was good but it's definitely not been what I've expected so far even though I really liked the last two issues.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That's just this one issue with some dumb stuff in it. Before then it was mostly that it just didn't live up to what people expected from King or what Snyder had done before. I still have thought it was good but it's definitely not been what I've expected so far even though I really liked the last two issues.

I'm going to re-read the arc when it's done, I think it'll read a lot better that way

jph139

I will say that Batman #1 (not Rebirth #1, the falling plane one) is an absolutely top-notch, perfectly executed Batman story. Dialogue is good, flows beautifully, nice setpieces. The rest of the arc hasn't lived up to it, but that one issue proves that King will kill it when he's in the groove.

I will say that Batman #1 (not Rebirth #1, the falling plane one) is an absolutely top-notch, perfectly executed Batman story. Dialogue is good, flows beautifully, nice setpieces. The rest of the arc hasn't lived up to it, but that one issue proves that King will kill it when he's in the groove.

Man, I am the exact opposite. I absolutely hated the first issue. Thought it just felt weird and the stuff about him dying and saying goodbye and wondering about his parents all felt dumb because there was no way it'd happened and pointless because it was rehash of Batman 52 almost completely. Going back I can be more OK with it because in hind sight I see it more as King's own Rebirth book since the actual rebirth seemed more like Snyder, but I absolutely hated that issue.

I thought 2 was fine and I thought issue 3 was amazing. This Issue I really liked at first but then liked it less when reading it a second time. I'm not too worried though, I'm liking it enough and I'm sure he will have a lot of payoff from time to time.

Preview up for Blue Beetle #1. This looks roughly 500% better than the nu52 Beetle series:

http://www.newsarama.com/30527-early-preview-blue-beetle-rebirth-1.html

All over my faaaaaaaaace

BRB grabbing a new avatar

edit: oh fuck I need this with just the head and the word bubble lol

BLUEREB_1_8.jpg

Lokimaru

DC did a story a few years ago where the Pre-New 52 Superman (the Superman from the previous universe before DC rebooted) was pulled into the New 52 universe. He is married to Lois Lane and has a kid. He was living covertly and raising his kid with Lois while the New 52 Superman was the public Superman. New 52 Superman died right before rebirth and now the old Superman has taken up the mantle again. This was done partially because a lot of fans didn't like the New 52 Superman.

Also, before New 52 Superman died his Clark Kent identity was revealed so everyone knew who he was. People are confused now that a new Superman and a new Clark Kent have shown up and are both in the same place. The new Clark Kent's purpose and identity are still a mystery, Superman doesn't even know who he is.

I never got that, New 52 Superman was just a younger version of the Previous Superman just without the Kents guiding him. He was a self made no fucks given Superman, who as dating Wonder Woman and actually friends with Batman. Flash fucked up the universe and got off scott free while poor Supes gets Killed off and replaced with an imo Inferior model, I don't find that fair. Pre-52 Supes is such a fucking Cake Eater, Guy was handed everything a Superman could ask for even a get out of death free card and still let his world go to shit on multiple occasion only to get his ass pulled out of the fire because of Dues ex machina bullshit, he was so goddamned shitty they had to reboot him twice before finally getting rid of him. They say he's gonna have a better relation ship with Supergirl, Really? This guy had to go to another universe just to have a Supergirl respect him cause HIS version would rather hang out with the Bat-family. Did people forget what the Superman titles were like before Flashpoint? He wouldn't even Exist had New52 Superman not thown Brainiac into that Black hole which somehow put him in the timesteam kicking off Convergence. Superdad doesn't even try to get his predecessors property back from Lex, That Cape was New52 Superman's Grandfathers, It's a family hierloom and they just let Lex have it? That the Height of Bullshit.

Ross61

I never got that, New 52 Superman was just a younger version of the Previous Superman just without the Kents guiding him. He was a self made no fucks given Superman, who as dating Wonder Woman and actually friends with Batman. Flash fucked up the universe and got off scott free while poor Supes gets Killed off and replaced with an imo Inferior model, I don't find that fair. Pre-52 Supes is such a fucking Cake Eater, Guy was handed everything a Superman could ask for even a get out of death free card and still let his world go to shit on multiple occasion only to get his ass pulled out of the fire because of Dues ex machina bullshit, he was so goddamned shitty they had to reboot him twice before finally getting rid of him. They say he's gonna have a better relation ship with Supergirl, Really? This guy had to go to another universe just to have a Supergirl respect him cause HIS version would rather hang out with the Bat-family. Did people forget what the Superman titles were like before Flashpoint? He wouldn't even Exist had New52 Superman not thown Brainiac into that Black hole which somehow put him in the timesteam kicking off Convergence. Superdad doesn't even try to get his predecessors property back from Lex, That Cape was New52 Superman's Grandfathers, It's a family hierloom and they just let Lex have it? That the Height of Bullshit.
He did try to get the cape back tho.....

Sean C

Preview of Wonder Woman #4, due out next Wednesday.

There was a lot about Brian Azzarello's run that I liked, but God, I'm happy to have the real Amazons back, rather than the murderous savages that took their places during Azzarello's reinvention (whenever too much focus was on that aspect of the story, I found it impossible to enjoy; it's such a violation of the core of Wonder Woman's mythos).

There was a lot about Brian Azzarello's run that I liked, but God, I'm happy to have the real Amazons back, rather than the murderous savages that took their places during Azzarello's reinvention (whenever too much focus was on that aspect of the story, I found it impossible to enjoy; it's such a violation of the core of Wonder Woman's mythos).

My exactly thoughts.

However I am not liking the pace of the current day arc.

Blader

It must have been longer than I realized since I last read a Green Lantern book, because I don't have a fucking clue about is what happening in Hal Jordan and the GLC, and neither Rebirth nor the #1 issue did anything to bring me up to speed. No idea why the lanterns are suddenly gone, why Sinestro is old and his corps is running the universe...at first I thought Rebirth was setting up some far-future story, but nope, this is the actual setting for the book.

shingi70

Banned

Give this man a medal.

New 52 Supes >>>Post crisis Supes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom