• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

ferr

Just watched a bunch of TotalBiscuit's videos, seems like Gotham City is great. How does Metropolis compare?

Sheppard

If you could add my name to the PC list. My name is going to be Branagh. I am sticking with my League "BC raiders" if you guys want help getting into it.

After watching those TotalBiscuit videos I think I am sold. I hope there is enough content when endgame is reached, but then again I would probably run through the game multiple times with different good/evil characters and mentors.

Edit:
Bought

I cant wait for this game! It's going to be my first mmo experience. And im not really into super hero stuff, but it has a little bit different from just the regular mage, warrior, and rouge stuff. But what really sold me on the game is the combat, voice acting, and how you can make your loot functional and stylish.

Nightz

Got everything downloaded and patched. Can't wait for Tuesday!

BTW I'll be making a Google spreadsheet for you guys to enter your info once the game launches. I'm just compiling a list of which GAFers are playing and on what platform so that others who may be on the fence about which version to get can decide.

Eaten By A Grue said:
After watching those TotalBiscuit videos I think I am sold. I hope there is enough content when endgame is reached, but then again I would probably run through the game multiple times with different good/evil characters and mentors.

Game is mainly about the endgame content and you can level to 30 rather quickly. IIRC one of the features is the ability to play through the games leveling content again once you are max level, but everything is also max level. (Kinda like a NG+ of sorts).

Aske

I've never played an MMO before, and this jet caught my notice yesterday. I like the DCU, but I'm not fussed about the online stuff. Can I buy this and play it offline from the disc, or is it subscription or nothing?

No45

ferr said:
Just watched a bunch of TotalBiscuit's videos, seems like Gotham City is great. How does Metropolis compare?
I played Metropolis in the beta and I have to say seeing videos of Gotham it looks WAY more interesting, aesthetically at least.

Hoping US PS3 peeps will provide plenty of impressions over the next few days. I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from the beta treatment of the EU PS3 client and I'm wavering on picking this up currently.

Aske said:
I've never played an MMO before, and this jet caught my notice yesterday. I like the DCU, but I'm not fussed about the online stuff. Can I buy this and play it offline from the disc, or is it subscription or nothing?
You get your first month included with the disc, after that time is up you'll have to pay if you want to keep playing it.

Aske

No45 said:
I played Metropolis in the beta and I have to say seeing videos of Gotham it looks WAY more interesting, aesthetically at least.

Hoping US PS3 peeps will provide plenty of impressions over the next few days. I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from the beta treatment of the EU PS3 client and I'm wavering on picking this up currently.

You get your first month included with the disc, after that time is up you'll have to pay if you want to keep playing it.

That's kind of cool. I'll either be addicted or done with it by then. I'll wait and see what the impressions are like.

No45

There aren't any pre-order goodies for the UK are there? :(

I can't bring myself to NOT buy this day one it seems.

EDIT: And... ordered. I'm so weak. I'll be raging at SoE if my patches are late! (Interesting side note: My PS+ patched the EU DC beta AFTER it had ended! :p).

Raoh

I'm still debating.. PC or PS3?

with the ps3 i get the comfort of being on my pc surfing etc while i game on my ps3.

with the pc, well I just feel that the mmorpg community would obviously be larger on the pc since there is no cross platform servers. (sigh) (I have a feeling that if the game fails in the long run its going to be due to the servers not being merged, the ps3 community needs to play with the pc community)

what's the gaf pc to ps3 ratio when it comes to dc universe?

my steam and psn tags are both LordRaoh if anyone wants to add me.

any reviews yet?

Nightz

Raoh said:
what's the gaf pc to ps3 ratio when it comes to dc universe?

my steam and psn tags are both LordRaoh if anyone wants to add me.

any reviews yet?
The second post of this thread has a running list of GAF players for each platform. Surprisingly, the PS3 has more people at this moment.

No reviews that I know of yet. Probably shouldn't expect any until after the game launches.

demonkaze

Has it been confirmed yet if eu and na are separate? I was hoping it was only for beta as I hear eu service was pretty shitty.

Wondering if it's worth me importing the us version and setting up a us address etc.

No45

Separate as far as I'm aware, the betas certainly were so I would expect the full game to follow suit. I imagine it's probably necessary considering the extra latency.

Raoh

Nightz said:
The second post of this thread has a running list of GAF players for each platform. Surprisingly, the PS3 has more people at this moment.

No reviews that I know of yet. Probably shouldn't expect any until after the game launches.

Thanks, please add me to the PS3 members if you dont mind. my PSN name is LordRaoh.

And thanks for putting the official thread together.

are all the members going to be heros or villians? I do plan to make one of each actually.. good and bad twin brothers actually

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
demonkaze said:
Has it been confirmed yet if eu and na are separate? I was hoping it was only for beta as I hear eu service was pretty shitty.

Wondering if it's worth me importing the us version and setting up a us address etc.
Apparently the PC version lets you choose.

Yi5wq.jpg

http://goo.gl/kIJPX said:
"The PC version will not restrict what region you play from so you are free to purchase from any country. If you have any further issues please let us know."

I'm not sure if you'll be able to switch back and forth once you log into one or if you'll need two accounts/subscriptions to play both. FWIW, supposedly other PC SOE games have let you switch on demand using one account.

PS3 version will probably be region locked because of SCEA/SCEE certification.

Killthee

darkwing said:
does anyone know how to pay monthly for the PS3 version? is it through the PSN too?
AFAIK, it will be through PSN. PC will use Station cash.

Converting an account to an active, entitled membership does require a valid credit card or game time card/PlayStation®Network card (where available).

Source.

hamchan

Interested in this game but I'll wait for the full impressions. Already playing WoW so 2 monthly subscriptions doesn't seem appealing.

Killthee

darkwing said:
nice, how does PvP work in here btw? you can just roam around looking for victims? or are there pvp only zones
There's a PvP flag you can turn on and off on the PvE servers and there's full on PvP only servers.

Within the servers there's also designated combat battle zones where events take place. For example, in the beta there was a Green Lantern event near Lexcorp where you had to help the Lanterns defeat villains working with Sinestro or vice versa if you were a villain. The faction that killed the most enemies would win the event and then it would reset. If you were playing in the PvE server I think you had to turn on the flag after every death.

There's also PvP instances in both servers with stuff like king of the hill. You can either play as yourself versus other custom heroes/villains or you can play in an Iconic PvP which transforms your character into an iconic hero/villain (Batman [preorder only supposedly], Joker, Harley, Robin, etc....).

demonkaze

Well I'm convinced then, will jump in on the pc na servers although will obviously be a few days behind due to this not releasing until Friday here.

Hammer

Raoh said:
are all the members going to be heros or villians? I do plan to make one of each actually...

Without knowing the player balance, my vote would be on villains.

In beta did one side feel more heavily populated than the other?

FredFish

Hammer said:
Without knowing the player balance, my vote would be on villains.

In beta did one side feel more heavily populated than the other?

There seemed a definate slant towards Hero on both PS3 servers with Server 1 being closer to parity. If you look at the poll on the official site over half the respondents intend on having either Supes or Batman as their first mentor while only 1 in 5 will pick Joker. Lex, Circe and Wonder Woman are way down the list at about 6-8% for each

jogarrr

Certainly, on PvE servers at least, villains will be the population underdogs. Having Superman and Batman as mentors is extremely popular and on the villain side an interview mentioned that Circe was (unsurprisingly) the least popular mentor. It may be more even on PvP servers.

demonkaze

I was wondering, as i'm in the uk but intending to play on the US PC servers (now that I know you can select) if it's worth me buying the US version earlier off something like D2D or if I should just wait for the EU version that is released on friday? Help me out gaf!

FredFish

jogarrr said:
Certainly, on PvE servers at least, villains will be the population underdogs. Having Superman and Batman as mentors is extremely popular and on the villain side an interview mentioned that Circe was (unsurprisingly) the least popular mentor. It may be more even on PvP servers.

Funnily enough I plan to have Circe as my Villain mentor and Wonder Woman as my Hero mentor :)

ReiGun

Won't be able to get the game at release, unfortunately, but I'll be on the PS3 side.

FredFish said:
Funnily enough I plan to have Circe as my Villain mentor and Wonder Woman as my Hero mentor :)
*High Five*

During the beta, I had Wonder Woman as my first mentor before making new characters with Bats and Supes, and I gotta say, after spending so much time fighting the forces of hell and dark magic that beating up gorillas and street thugs just isn't as appealing. lol

Killthee

demonkaze said:
I was wondering, as i'm in the uk but intending to play on the US PC servers (now that I know you can select) if it's worth me buying the US version earlier off something like D2D or if I should just wait for the EU version that is released on friday? Help me out gaf!
If you weren't planning on playing in the EU servers, go for it. If you planned to switch back and forth, I would wait until someone confirms it's possible with one subscription.

Make sure you use the wootdc code if you order off D2D, its still good for a couple more hours.

20110110-d3d4ntwynxn1bwcy6nyikamhri.jpg

jogarrr said:
Circe is awesome, the voice actor they have for her is great. I'll be with Lex though.
Her VA was fantastic, she completely blew me away in the beta. I'm gonna have one of each, but my main villain will definitely have Circe as her mentor.

demonkaze

If i buy the US version, when I set up a subscription for it, i'm going to have to come up with a US name and address, right?

Will it work if I put in any old US address (like i did back in the day with the JP import of FFXI) or will I have to find a legit, home address?

Killthee

Confirmation that the PS3 version will be region locked.

"The PS3 servers for DCUO will be region restricted and determined by the PlayStation Network. If you connect to SCEE, then you would play DCUO with other people that connect to SCEE."

demonkaze said:
If i buy the US version, when I set up a subscription for it, i'm going to have to come up with a US name and address, right?

Will it work if I put in any old US address (like i did back in the day with the JP import of FFXI) or will I have to find a legit, home address?
No idea. Try asking over at DCUO Source.

jogarrr

http://www.dcuosource.com/index.php...d=59&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=1&t=10673&start=20
Its CONFIRMED!!!!!! Just got an answer from SOE Customer Support!

"The PC version will not restrict what region you play from so you are free to purchase from any country. If you have any further issues please let us know."

Now this is awesome!!

Don't know if this is true or not but it should give some hope for those interested.

demonkaze said:

I think you would purchase the game and enter your product key normally. I can't remember what FFXI needed the address for but here it would just be your CC info/Billing Address for the subscription. In that case I would think your billing address would have to be accurate. The 'buy subscription' pages for both EQ2 and Free Realms let you choose your country when entering CC info so I'd guess that DCUO will too.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
In for PS3 version. Send me some friend requests and lets get a GAF Hero league going!

PSN: EditorEMB

Nightz

Nice to see so many people supporting the PS3 version. I'm hoping it succeeds. On a side note, I went to Gamestop yesterday and they already had the game sitting on the counters behind the registers. I'm kinda bummed that I didn't go for the collector's edition because the Batman figure looked pretty sweet.

No45

We need to make sure that everyone ends up on the same server for whatever faction and region they're in. If the first people to get the game for each region create a character and post where they are we can make sure everyone's together. :)

demonkaze said:

To me it sounds as though you'll be able to use the SCEA servers if you use a US PSN account?

FredFish said:
There seemed a definate slant towards Hero on both PS3 servers with Server 1 being closer to parity. If you look at the poll on the official site over half the respondents intend on having either Supes or Batman as their first mentor while only 1 in 5 will pick Joker. Lex, Circe and Wonder Woman are way down the list at about 6-8% for each
Hopefully for release they won't name the servers 1/2 etc. They should name them, so that they can change the 'default' server (one that's automatically selected when you login) depending on population. It'll help balance the population.

jogarrr

No45 said:
Hopefully for release they won't name the servers 1/2 etc. They should name them, so that they can change the 'default' server (one that's automatically selected when you login) depending on population. It'll help balance the population.

I believe the servers will be named after famous story arcs of DCU.

Xater

Wait this is out this week? I played the beta on PS3 and enjoyed the basics of the game, but technically the game was still broken. I can't believe they are already releasing it. I really don't believe they polished it up all that. From the beta this seemed to be a games that needed at least 6 more months in the oven.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Xater said:
Wait this is out this week? I played the beta on PS3 and enjoyed the basics of the game, but technically the game was still broken. I can't believe they are already releasing it. I really don't believe they polished it up all that. From the beta this seemed to be a games that needed at least 6 more months in the oven.

Fairly sure it was a server-centric test, meaning a lot of detail was left out of the beta. Besides, MMO betas are never fun. This one managed to be.

Nightz

Yeah, someone mentioned before that it's probably a good expansion or two before being truly great, but I had quite a lot of fun with the beta, and it was enough for me to decide to pick it up.

Killthee

No45 said:
To me it sounds as though you'll be able to use the SCEA servers if you use a US PSN account?
I don't think you'll be able to fool the system by using a foreign account. They can detect which version you're launching and lock you to the proper server. Plus, I think the game comes with a PSN key you have to redeem to play just like the beta. EU keys wont work with US accounts and if you use a EU account to redeem and then switch accounts it'll tell you your key is invalid and ask for a new one.

My guess is QA certification is holding them back from allowing you to select which server to play on. How can they allow EU players to play on US servers if the US is a patch ahead of them like in the beta?

Xater said:
I was saying the same thing early last month, but I've completely changed my mind on the topic thanks to all the patches. My biggest concerns were the tiny UI (mostly fixed), the crummy font colors (fixed), and the awful stability (greatly improved). I'm sure the game will have its share of issues on launch day, but I'm willing to stick around for the free month and subscribe if I see an effort on their side to fix the bugs at the same speed they patched the beta.

No45

Killthee said:
My guess is QA certification is holding them back from allowing you to select which server to play on. How can they allow EU players to play on US servers if the US is a patch ahead of them like in the beta?
If the client is the same for each region (which it might be), what patches it gets could very well depend on the region you're connecting to when you login. Moot point for me anyway, I'll be getting the EU version. :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ReiGun said:
*High Five*

During the beta, I had Wonder Woman as my first mentor before making new characters with Bats and Supes, and I gotta say, after spending so much time fighting the forces of hell and dark magic that beating up gorillas and street thugs just isn't as appealing. lol
Yeah, people are sleeping on Wonder Woman as a mentor (no surprise). Her missions were easily the most fun on the beta. Circe was the one mentor I never got around to trying on the beta but I imagine she's just as fun.

Lex was probably my least favorite.

Top Bottom