• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight |OT| - We Failed the DST Skill Checks

groansey

Having watched some video reviews and streams... I'ved decided against it.

They've tried to balance the game by having generators and hooks as busy work for survivors and killers respectively, but that just gets too far away from the purity of the concept. The fact you could play as leatherface and freddie but are only sacrificing survivors to "the entity" or whatever is kind of a waste of licensing.

It's like if I watch a game of Friday 13th... these are people at a camp trying to escape Jason, that makes sense, and it's broadly cinematic. If I watch a game of DbD people are doing game stuff (fixing these exaggerated cartoony generators) and the only thing it looks like is... they're playing a game of DbD.

Perhaps they could introduce more game modes to alleviate this, and maybe it's not so apparent when you play it, but... I'll just stick with Friday 13th until something better comes along.

drotahorror

They've tried to balance the game by having generators and hooks as busy work for survivors and killers respectively, but that just gets too far away from the purity of the concept. The fact you could play as leatherface and freddie but are only sacrificing survivors to "the entity" or whatever is kind of a waste of licensing.

It's like if I watch a game of Friday 13th... these are people at a camp trying to escape Jason, that makes sense, and it's broadly cinematic. If I watch a game of DbD people are doing game stuff (fixing these exaggerated cartoony generators) and the only thing it looks like is... they're playing a game of DbD.

Perhaps they could introduce more game modes to alleviate this, and maybe it's not so apparent when you play it, but... I'll just stick with Friday 13th until something better comes along.

It's more of a competitive game than F13. If killers could just run around doing environmental kills whenever they liked, DBD would not be as popular as it is.

MrBlonde

I bought Dead by Daylight and wanted to like it since it has my favorite horror characters and I love horror movies but I regret it so you made a great choice. I absolutely love Friday the 13th and is a much better game other then the server issues.....

xrnzaaas

I bought the game in the PS4 sale even though I generally don't play multiplayer games. It's just that I love horrors and the prospect of being chased by Michael Myers or Leatherface was appealing. :) I planned to play for an hour or two, played for almost four and had a blast. I don't know if it's because I'm not wearing a headset, but I didn't encounter any voice chat in the PS4 version and it was a plus for me. Actually the points scoring system in this game really helps in making people co-operate with each other. I even got saved once by another player when they already had the exit opened and could've left me for dead.
The thing that I dislike the most about the game is how it looks. It's really ugly and the framerate can be inconsistent, even to a point when it affects skill checks. But yeah overall it was a good purchase, I see myself playing more of this to become better at the game (I'm only lvl 11 with my first character). :)

Don't know if Friday the 13th will have much of a playerbase 2-3 months from now. The gaming community seemed to have decided that DbD was the funner game to play.

I bought the game in the PS4 sale even though I generally don't play multiplayer games. It's just that I love horrors and the prospect of being chased by Michael Myers or Leatherface was appealing. :) I planned to play for an hour or two, played for almost four and had a blast. I don't know if it's because I'm not wearing a headset, but I didn't encounter any voice chat in the PS4 version and it was a plus for me. Actually the points scoring system in this game really helps in making people co-operate with each other. I even got saved once by another player when they already had the exit opened and could've left me for dead.
The thing that I dislike the most about the game is how it looks. It's really ugly and the framerate can be inconsistent, even to a point when it affects skill checks. But yeah overall it was a good purchase, I see myself playing more of this to become better at the game (I'm only lvl 11 with my first character). :)

The frame rate is doodoo on consoles but it's even worse on Xbone than PS4.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Can't blame Dead By Daylight to follow its own mechanics. The guest killers are pretty much just that and giving them other options would make the game more unbalanced and probably harder to work with. Also nothing wrong with DbD trying to be cartoony or whatever since it is its own thing. New game modes would be interesting but also gotta see how the balance the mechanics around the new mode.

Can't blame Dead By Daylight to follow its own mechanics. The guest killers are pretty much just that and giving them other options would make the game more unbalanced and probably harder to work with. Also nothing wrong with DbD trying to be cartoony or whatever since it is its own thing. New game modes would be interesting but also gotta see how the balance the mechanics around the new mode.

Yeah, even though i would like to see more gamemodes besides generators . But having the killer be a guest star doesn't bother me at all, there's some weird shit in the movies too so it's fine to tell yourself this is a nightmare for all the characters, killers too :D

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, even though i would like to see more gamemodes besides generators . But having the killer be a guest star doesn't bother me at all, there's some weird shit in the movies too so it's fine to tell yourself this is a nightmare for all the characters, killers too :D

Most horror films are dumb. If the characters had some common sense the film wouldnt last that much.

El_Cinefilo

Is there a roadmap or plan for what they have in future for updates to the game? I just got it and it seems fun so far but I think more game modes would add a lot in the long term. or should we just be expecting more characters/gameplay tweaks?

xrnzaaas

I played a little more over the weekend and really enjoyed my time with the game. My favorite part was hiding in the basement locker and saving a hooked survivor twice before the killer realized what was going on. ;)

I still haven't checked out playing as a killer, but from the survivor's perspective Hag seems to be way overpowered by being able to teleport. That really makes saving hanged people harder and I often asked myself is it really worth it. ;)

DeviantBoi

The game is on sale on PSN this week as part of the Halloween sale.

How's the community?

Is Friday the 13th the better game?

xrnzaaas

How's the community?

There are no problems finding games and from what I've observed over the last few days active sessions don't end prematurely that often (and it's more likely caused by server problems, not by people rage quitting). The downside for some people may be that there's no voice chat in the PS4 version so the only way to communicate is via a party chat with friends. I prefer to play in silence so that's a plus for me that I don't have to mute toxic players. ;) Besides game gives xp for co-op actions so people actually help out each other if someone is wounded or ends up on a hook.

drotahorror

How's the community?

Community is awful on PC. I've heard bad things about the console community as well. Hate mail and whatnot. I enjoy the shit talking but it's not for everyone.

I think F13 sucks dick.

sleepykyo

How's the community?

Haven't played Friday the 13th.

Dead by Daylight (pc) community is pretty toxic. While Friday the 13th had the killer be a random player, players in DbD choose their role each game and they get pretty heavily invested in it. Survivor players will frequently type our rather hateful stuff and basically bm in game if possible and dc to save rare items. Killer players will frequently whine about how overpowered survivors are (despite the data being the opposite), pallet looping, gen rushing (which is absurd given how both exit doors and the hatch are reliant upon gens being done), occasionally face camp (prevents unhooking) a survivor that pissed them, rage quit if they feel too far behind, quit during/immediately after the offering screen if they see something they don't want (results in offerings being wasted and survivors will lose a pip).

So Friday the 13th is a better party game while DbD is a better competitive game. Which doesn't say much when DbD is a horrible competitive game.

Meccs

So the chapter DLC for this game is just the different killers? Can I play on the new maps as a survivor if I don't have the DLC?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

How's the community?

I think they're different enough from one other that they're both worth owning, although I vastly prefer F13.

I'd say both communities definitely have their rotten apples unfortunately.

drotahorror

So the chapter DLC for this game is just the different killers? Can I play on the new maps as a survivor if I don't have the DLC?

Maps are free for everyone.

I think Freddy is really good, but I really haven't had that much time to play as or against him.

xrnzaaas

I think Freddy is really good, but I really haven't had that much time to play as or against him.

I have a similar question - does the DLC unlock only playing as the killer or is it also required to play against a DLC killer as a survivor?

Talonz

I was watching Oroboro play him last night and he has his drawbacks. He sucks as chasing, but is excellent at tracking. The time it takes to put survivors into dream makes it hard to stop them from unhooking other survivors and other things. His drawbacks are pretty big. He isn't the Nurse that is for sure.

Top Bottom