• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight |OT| - We Failed the DST Skill Checks

Fun when not lagging, unplayable when it is.

I guess I got a glimpse at high level play, even though I'm rank 20. I'm pretty sure two of them had ever pallet on the map memorized. Kept running to them and hitting me with it. Honesty if those are the two extremes, completely stomp or completely get stomped, then I'm probably not going to buy this. Matchmaking seems pretty bad.

OK, so since this was bumped, there's something that I can't figure out. Why is this OT 3 pages while Friday the 13th's is 55 freaking pages? Especially since this seems to be much more popular (at least in terms of concurrent players)? Not trying to compare both games, the disparity just seems so weird to me.

Jacqli

I guess I got a glimpse at high level play, even though I'm rank 20. I'm pretty sure two of them had ever pallet on the map memorized. Kept running to them and hitting me with it. Honesty if those are the two extremes, completely stomp or completely get stomped, then I'm probably not going to buy this. Matchmaking seems pretty bad.
They should not have done rank reset during the free week. It is usually really bad, but this week is even worse because many people are trying the game for the first time and they are playing against good killers or with good survivors. I was paired with players who have just a pair of hours in the game, while I have more than 400…

And Myers is great, probably my favourite killer in general. And I recommend Monitor and Abuse in his build, scariest thing I have ever faced.

I heard they did a rank reset right before the F2P weekend. This may be why you’re seeing that.

My only issue are game queues on Xbox. I’m waiting over 10 minutes last night to get a game as a killer. I like the game, but I can’t see myself buying it if I’m getting queues like that during the free weekend.

there's more to complain about Ft13th.

Hahah, that would figure. Especially after seeing the Marvel Heroes 2016 thread.

My only issue are game queues on Xbox. I’m waiting over 10 minutes last night to get a game as a killer. I like the game, but I can’t see myself buying it if I’m getting queues like that during the free weekend.

There's barely any queue times on PC, but I too was wondering to what extent that is the norm usually, or is it due to the free weekend, especially since I most like to play as a killer (although I was surprised that I found playing as a survivor quite fun too).

j0hnnix

High rank players are great until they immediately DC when you hook them which is a huge issue.. I was testing out Myers rank 20 with try hard players on PS4 and to save their perks they DC. I just kept reporting those.. but it's annoying. I honestly enjoy lower rank games more than try hard high rank disconnecting players.

Loving Michael Myers ! Lol

High rank players are great until they immediately DC when you hook them which is a huge issue.. I was testing out Myers rank 20 with try hard players on PS4 and to save their perks they DC. I just kept reporting those.. but it's annoying. I honestly enjoy lower rank games more than try hard high rank disconnecting players.

Loving Michael Myers ! Lol

I don't blame try hard players for something that's in a game, especially on a game that gets frequent patches. I blame the devs for not doing something about it. It's just absurd, it seems to mainly happen on the forest map I think, there's a middle area with like 6-7 pallets, and there's not much you can do with certain killers. I was playing Hillbilly. They kept circling and stopping at the pallet. I couldn't catch them in the time it took to circle, so it force me to stop chasing or run into the pallet. Insanely frustrating.

There are a lot of thing I don't like about this. When everything clicks it's a blast, but the low points are really low.

j0hnnix

I don't blame try hard players for something that's in a game, especially on a game that gets frequent patches. I blame the devs for not doing something about it. It's just absurd, it seems to mainly happen on the forest map I think, there's a middle area with like 6-7 pallets, and there's not much you can do with certain killers. I was playing Hillbilly. They kept circling and stopping at the pallet. I couldn't catch them in the time it took to circle, so it force me to stop chasing or run into the pallet. Insanely frustrating.

There are a lot of thing I don't like about this. When everything clicks it's a blast, but the low points are really low.

I agree. My main frustration is the disconnecting to save those items,just play the game don't ruin it for others.. The circling pallets is extremely annoying and honestly wish I could figure out how to use huntress better and throw her axe at them.. lol.

Hexer06

On Xbox version as well and I couldn't find a match as a killer, but 2 nights ago I had no problem. If I was survivor, I found a match instantly. Just seems weird if there's that many other survivors, why couldn't I find any as a killer. Wondering if there's any matchmaking issues or something.

On Xbox version as well and I couldn't find a match as a killer, but 2 nights ago I had no problem. If I was survivor, I found a match instantly. Just seems weird if there's that many other survivors, why couldn't I find any as a killer. Wondering if there's any matchmaking issues or something.

Not really, it makes a lot of sense. Suppose one person per second queues as survivor, and one person per 2-3 seconds queues as killer. There would be a surplus of killers, but there are still enough survivors queuing often that as a survivor, you find a game instantly. Although the survivor queue is empty, the killer queue is not, so as a killer, you have to wait.

SomTervo

Love a good free weekend. This is fantastic and 100% worth £8. Never would have tried it otherwise.

Bad luck. On PC I've had no lag and literally every single match has been really well balanced, lasting ages and being intense.

MUnited83

For you.

edit: misread, was thinking of survivor matchmamking.

Hexer06

Not really, it makes a lot of sense. Suppose one person per second queues as survivor, and one person per 2-3 seconds queues as killer. There would be a surplus of killers, but there are still enough survivors queuing often that as a survivor, you find a game instantly. Although the survivor queue is empty, the killer queue is not, so as a killer, you have to wait.

Ah okay. I guess that kinda makes sense. Really sux tho lol. Maybe they should have a thing where you can only queue as a killer for 3 matches in a row, then you have to play at least 1 match as a survivor. That would probly piss ppl off, but it might help. Who knows. Hope I can play as the killer again. It's way more fun than survivor. Lol

Bad luck. On PC I've had no lag and literally every single match has been really well balanced, lasting ages and being intense.

No, I'd say good luck. After experiencing it, and looking further, pallet looping is something that's a core part of the game. I'd glad I found that out before spending 20$.

MUnited83

For you.
No, I'd say good luck. After experiencing it, and looking further, pallet looping is something that's a core part of the game. I'd glad I found that out before spending 20$.

Pallet looping is really easy to counter though. You can just destroy the pallets when they are used. There aren't that many in the map. (and no, people don't memorize where they are, the maps are procedurally generated). Not to mention that using pallets too much in a short amount of time will gradually slow the vaulting animation.

Pallet looping is really easy to counter though. You can just destroy the pallets when they are used. There aren't that many in the map. (and no, people don't memorize where they are, the maps are procedurally generated). Not to mention that using pallets too much in a short amount of time will gradually slow the vaulting animation.

How do you counter the lost time?

Great game, fucking toxic community. As a killer, if you perform well you're an asshole for not letting them get points, and if you perform badly they need to tell you how much you suck (even if you started playing literally yesterday). I just had enough and muted post-game chat, which is a shame because some people were quite nice.

Orca

I just destroy the pallets. Eventually they have to figure out something new because there's only so many of them.

I wonder that myself. The first night, I was getting game after game with killer, but that’s stopped completely and I’m waiting 10-20 minutes.

God, the Halloween map is horrible. Too many dead dead ends, and invisible walls.

I just destroy the pallets. Eventually they have to figure out something new because there's only so many of them.

I mean, unless the team's horrible, the "something" is turning on generators in the background while one teammate stuns you 4-5 times.

I was a bit wary that the end of the free trial would mean either waiting a lot more to get any games (at least as a killer), or being paired with people that would kick my ass. I'm considerably happy that neither has been the case, even on a monday. I'm guessing there's still a lot of new players that bought the game thanks to the free weekend and sale, but still. Having lots of fun as a killer, I seem to kill everyone around half of the time. I suck as a survivor, and haven't managed to escape even once!

I was a bit wary that the end of the free trial would mean either waiting a lot more to get any games (at least as a killer), or being paired with people that would kick my ass. I'm considerably happy that neither has been the case, even on a monday. I'm guessing there's still a lot of new players that bought the game thanks to the free weekend and sale, but still. Having lots of fun as a killer, I seem to kill everyone around half of the time. I suck as a survivor, and haven't managed to escape even once!

I'm going to buy it later this week, if not later today. It's a really fun game. I'm kinda sad this thread isn't more lively.

What issues are you having as a survivor? The biggest advantage you can get is plugging up your headphones into your controller so you can hear heartbeats easier and the signal for skill checks on generators.

Also, it sucks, but sometimes it's every person for themselves. If your buddy gets caught, don't rush to save them. Sit back and watch. If the killer is near them constantly, cut your losses. Otherwise, the most you'll accomplish is getting injured and hooked as well. Be altruistic when it's convenient for you.

Finally, stick the outskirts of the map when fleeing.

I'm going to buy it later this week, if not later today. It's a really fun game. I'm kinda sad this thread isn't more lively.

What issues are you having as a survivor? The biggest advantage you can get is plugging up your headphones into your controller so you can hear heartbeats easier and the signal for skill checks on generators.

Also, it sucks, but sometimes it's every person for themselves. If your buddy gets caught, don't rush to save them. Sit back and watch. If the killer is near them constantly, cut your losses. Otherwise, the most you'll accomplish is getting injured and hooked as well. Be altruistic when it's convenient for you.

Finally, stick the outskirts of the map when fleeing.

Not any particular issues, really it's more that I have a lot more experience with killers because I find them more fun. I typically am the first survivor to complete a generator, but I'm also the first to be spotted and caught by the killer (I absolutely suck at kiting the killer, again, lack of experience), and once I'm caught, most killers I've fought against camp the hook untill I'm dead. Then the other survivors either try to unhookme and we're both downed (even if I "wiggle" to signal "killer close", or simply (and more smartly) decide to complete the other generators.

I absolutely don't mind dying at all, though, especially if I contribute to others having fun and winning. I still have fun as a survivor, much more than I anticipated I would; it's just that I have so much more fun as a killer. I also find killers more varied (I know survivors get more varied later when you unlock perks, but killers play so differently out of the box) and I like pretty much all of the base ones (except perhaps the Huntress, but I have to practice axe throwing more).

Frankly I'm quite addicted, really great game altogether. I'll probably pick some of the DLC during the next sale. The Doctor and Michael Myers look quite fun to play.

Not any particular issues, really it's more that I have a lot more experience with killers because I find them more fun. I typically am the first survivor to complete a generator, but I'm also the first to be spotted and caught by the killer (I absolutely suck at kiting the killer, again, lack of experience), and once I'm caught, most killers I've fought against camp the hook untill I'm dead. Then the other survivors either try to unhookme and we're both downed (even if I "wiggle" to signal "killer close", or simply (and more smartly) decide to complete the other generators.

I absolutely don't mind dying at all, though, especially if I contribute to others having fun and winning. I still have fun as a survivor, much more than I anticipated I would; it's just that I have so much more fun as a killer. I also find killers more varied (I know survivors get more varied later when you unlock perks, but killers play so differently out of the box) and I like pretty much all of the base ones (except perhaps the Huntress, but I have to practice axe throwing more).

Frankly I'm quite addicted, really great game altogether. I'll probably pick some of the DLC during the next sale. The Doctor and Michael Myers look quite fun to play.

Honestly, I usually walk the map before I start on a generator so I can get an idea of where the killer is. Then I go the opposite direction of where they are currently at and then start a generator.

Yeah, survivors are 100% dependent on the player at early levels. Once you get a few perks, differences show up.

I played the Huntress for the first time yesterday and I almost won, but I was out of hatchets and the injured survivors managed to block me from rehooking their comrade, so they managed to wiggle free and they all booked it to the exit before I could catch either of them.

The Doctor is one I don't get. I just couldn't wrap my head around the range of the shock move.

Honestly, I usually walk the map before I start on a generator so I can get an idea of where the killer is. Then I go the opposite direction of where they are currently at and then start a generator.

Oh, that would figure why I'm usually both the first one to start on a generator, and the first one to die. :D
As a killer, I always patrol all generators whenever I don't have more pressing issues (and stay a bit around started generators after kicking them), so knowing where I am is not particularly valuable information, but it's true other killer players probably play very differently.

Yeah, survivors are 100% dependent on the player at early levels. Once you get a few perks, differences show up.

I played the Huntress for the first time yesterday and I almost won, but I was out of hatchets and the injured survivors managed to block me from rehooking their comrade, so they managed to wiggle free and they all booked it to the exit before I could catch either of them.

You probably already know this and just couldn't find a lull in the action to refill, but just in case, the Huntress can refill her hatchets by checking any locker. A particularly hilarious moment for me during one of my Huntress games was when I went to a house to refill, and out of the blue there was a survivor in the locker I opened. :D

The Doctor is one I don't get. I just couldn't wrap my head around the range of the shock move.

Can't help there as I've never played it (don't have the DLC), but I played against him once and it was very fun, so different.

Opinions on Leatherface? Worth the money, or do you think it needs a couple patches?

I think he's worth it. I never did like The Hillbilly because I can never perfect the art of mowing someone down in a straight line. With Leatherface, the chainsaw is actually a melee attack and hard to dodge once he's closing in on you. Makes for some scary and fun tension.

You probably already know this and just couldn't find a lull in the action to refill, but just in case, the Huntress can refill her hatchets by checking any locker. A particularly hilarious moment for me during one of my Huntress games was when I went to a house to refill, and out of the blue there was a survivor in the locker I opened. :D

Can't help there as I've never played it (don't have the DLC), but I played against him once and it was very fun, so different.

Yeah, I figured it out during the match. But at that time, I was trying to just get one more kill because the group had already opened the gates, so I was patrolling the hooked person to make sure they died.

What system are you on? Because the Doctor was already unlocked for me. The only killer I don't have is The Shape/Micheal.

*Today's lesson kiddies! If you have all generators down and an opportunity to go for the exit doors, don't waste time trying to save your friends who are captured by the killer! I was playing as the Hag and the last 3 Claudette's just couldn't help themselves in trying to save one another. I had captured one and the last two could have escaped easily had they just left for the door, but nope, they decided to all try and save their friend that I had captured. And so, like I mentioned a few post above, whenever one got free, another got downed by me and hooked. I ended up killing 2 more. The last one was trying to be a smart ass and tease me near the exit door. So I dropped a Mark real quick and acted like I left. Sure enough, they crossed it and I teleported to their location and got a slash in before they finally decided to leave.

What system are you on? Because the Doctor was already unlocked for me. The only killer I don't have is The Shape/Micheal.

Wait, what? I think the Doctor has always been paid DLC for all platforms. Same with the Hag and Leatherface, do you have them too? Perhaps you bought the DLC unknowingly? Here's its Steam's page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/582600/Dead_by_Daylight__Spark_of_Madness/

I think it's very crucial to know who you're dealing with as a survivor, that's why I always check who it is first. especially, since Michael Myers doesn't have the heart beating (unless he's chasing you). depending on who it is I have different strategies for working on the generators.

I noticed I get a killer-specific tip most of the times when I play as a survivor that lets me know who I'm up against, but it doesn't always show up.

Wait, what? I think the Doctor has always been paid DLC for all platforms. Same with the Hag and Leatherface, do you have them too? Perhaps you bought the DLC unknowingly? Here's its Steam's page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/582600/Dead_by_Daylight__Spark_of_Madness/

Nope, I downloaded the Trial for PS4 and I had the Doctor and Hag already available, which surprised me as well as I had looked up the game before I even knew about the trial, and saw that those two were the newest additions, along with Huntress and Micheal.

I didn't have the Huntress or the The Shape, but when I was perusing the game store, I saw that she was a free download, so now the only killer I don't have is The Shape.

They are PS+ benefits, because the trial is only available to PS+ members and the Huntress was free for PS+ members.

Nope, I downloaded the Trial for PS4 and I had the Doctor and Hag already available, which surprised me as well as I had looked up the game before I even knew about the trial, and saw that those two were the newest additions, along with Huntress and Micheal.

I didn't have the Huntress or the The Shape, but when I was perusing the game store, I saw that she was a free download, so now the only killer I don't have is The Shape.

They are PS+ benefits, because the trial is only available to PS+ members and the Huntress was free for PS+ members.

Oh, I see, that's nice! Since I'm playing on PC (which also had a trial recently, but I bought the game after that) I guess that explains the difference. PS4 trial doesn't appear for me, I'm guessing it's US only or already expired.
The Huntress is free for everyone I think, or at least she's free on PC with the base game. The paid DLC killers are the Shape, Doctor, Hag and Leatherface.

drotahorror

xzPPoUR.png

Oh boy, this guy went full on racist on me. I don't usually give a shit about name calling but this went really far.

This is honestly every day shit on PC.

Oh boy, this guy went full on racist on me. I don't usually give a shit about name calling but this went really far.

This is honestly every day shit on PC.

Why are you censoring out his name? Name and shame that piece of scum.
Also, report him and give them the uncensored picture. WIth any luck he'll be banned. Don't let him harass other people.

drotahorror

I reported him on discord to a DBD mod. Like I said I don't usually report shit like this but he went too far. The mod I report stuff to, I usually report save file hackers. I do this mainly because it's bullshit that I worked a lot to get what I have and then these guys just copy someone's save file and get everything handed to them.

Yeah there's a local save. It's very important to back it up on PC. If I recall they're in the process to moving all the information to their servers.

I can confirm that at least Steam Cloud seems to handle this, I played from two different computers without any problem. Still absolutely baffling that they don't keep all the information server-side, if only to prevent hacking.

drotahorror

I can confirm that at least Steam Cloud seems to handle this, I played from two different computers without any problem. Still absolutely baffling that they don't keep all the information server-side, if only to prevent hacking.

Yeah there is steam cloud but thats another problem. At one point they said to turn off steam cooud. People are still randomly losing their save games. Better to back up.

I don't play much as a killer, but I'm enjoying hunting with Michael Myers. I tried something, where I down one survivor and usually go after another one without hooking them up right away. it's something I've seen others do and it works quite well. I'm just curious, since the community is very strict on killer-etiquette, is this something they get angry about?

I'm not sure, but you can check the Dead By Daylight reddit and I'm sure you'll find plenty of (weird) opinions about it.

The only thing I've seen constantly mentioned is face camping.

drotahorror

I don't play much as a killer, but I'm enjoying hunting with Michael Myers. I tried something, where I down one survivor and usually go after another one without hooking them up right away. it's something I've seen others do and it works quite well. I'm just curious, since the community is very strict on killer-etiquette, is this something they get angry about?

With 1000+ hours played that's fine to me. I'd rather you leave me on the ground and have a chance at not getting hooked.

Downing all 4 people and letting them all bleed to death is frowned upon though.

Man, this game is like 90% people super immersed and hiding. I usually always try to give the killer a run instead of hiding all game. Not only is that frustrating to play with as a survivor, but as a killer it's even more annoying. Everyone is terrified.

Downing all 4 people and letting them all bleed to death is frowned upon though.

Yeah, this may be the one thing I consider a no-no. It's a waste of everyone's time, and unless someone is very far away from a hook, you've already won anyway (most people will simply hook-struggle to death in that situation, making it even faster).

Of course, there's also the chance a killer may do this accidentally, if they can't find the downed survivors, but in this case most will simply crawl towards the killer or onto visible ground.

groansey

it's very grindy at the beginning, but it is a lot of fun! depends on what you like about Ft13?

The hide and seek, being in a slasher movie, the main draw of these sorts of games I guess.

It seems like this is more gamey than F13. Like the killer doesn't just butcher the victims but has to carry them off, and they can escape a lot... that's not really like a slasher movie. Like Mike Myers wouldn't hang people up on hooks... But the "searching for items" gameplay in F13 is the worst part of that game, so if these concessions make DbD play better then I will give it a spin.

Top Bottom