• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight |OT| - We Failed the DST Skill Checks

Hasney

There's more to it than that.

I stood there at the exit seeing what the crouching moron would do. He just came up to me and started spamming crouch even more. I alt tabbed for about 10min and he was still there.

Also, I was playing a game as a survivor a bit ago. 3 of my teammates were dead and the killer had me on the ground crawling. He stood there and watched me til I bled out. Took about 5 min or so. Some really stupid shit in this game.

Oh wow, yeah, it's never been that bad for me. It would be insta-quit if that stuff happened.

drotahorror

It just goes back and forth I guess. Tonite is the most I've played. Just did like 3 or 4 games as the killer and won out.

voodooray

So... In the last Dead By Daylight dev stream, they announced some interesting stats relating to gameplay (specifically, how many times the killer could sacrifice everyone, and how those stats measured across different killer ranks):

https://www.twitch.tv/deadbydaylight/v/81763499?t=10m30s

They expect that the killer should be able to sacrifice all survivors 25% of the time. Fair enough, they've always maintained that survivors should not always expect to escape alive, and from my own games, that's certainly the case! :)

But in this later chart (14m25s) which is supposed to show the same info, split by the killers rank, they continued to see the same outcome.

I'm not sure how they counted the sacrificed survivors for this data. I suppose it included everything, including new Rank20/Lv1 survivors vs Rank1/Lv50 killers. But I was very surprised to see that high rank killers weren't wiping the floor in a more visible way.

I think a useful stat would be to see how often a killer with 0/1/2/3/4 perks can sacrifice survivors with corresponding perks, as I've always believed that mismatching players with differing perks can lead to massively unfair advantages on both survivor/killer sides.

How are your games comparing to what these stats show?

MUnited83

For you.
Well, to be fair, you can get really good scores and rank up without killing everyone. As long as you're always on point, constantly make people bleed, get some hits in, hooking when possible and just be on the move when possible works great. I've had games where I let 3 people escape and got most of the scores almost maxed out(except for sacrificar, of course)

drotahorror

After a few days of playing I'm diggin this pretty well. I was just a scrub and didn't understand the mechanics very well. I do come across annoying things still, like hook camping mainly.

And some super special killers

Hk6u1by.jpg

Before I screencapped that, I was even closer to the killer and he was staring at me. I stood there for 30 seconds atleast, he wouldn't even inch forward to chase me. He was determined to camp that guy. I ended up landing in 3 traps running from him and wiggling out of his grasps 3x and surviving the game. Felt good.

I have only made it to rank 16 surviving. I'm still learning.

I got to rank 10 using the Wraith but now he's boring and I'm trying to level the Hillbilly. I need to dump some more bloodpoints into the wraith to unlock his abilities for other killers but I'm just burnt out on him. Hillbilly is just way more fun even though I have trash perks and he's only level 10 or something.

Game is dope, I hope F13 is better and they learn from the issues DBD has.

voodooray

I do come across annoying things still, like hook camping mainly.

Yeah, many killers don't appear to realise there are far more points to be had in hooking, and re-hooking survivors. Even when all survivors escape, its easy to rank up and get lots of blood points.

Also, next season will introduce changes to how many points are needed to lose/keep/gain rank. Details in this thread for brainstorming, but they are looking to do something like this:

Scoring breakdown starting Aug 13th

0 - 6999 = -1 Pip
7000 - 9999 = 0 Pip (you will not lose or gain a pip)
10000 - 19999 = +1 Pip
20000+ = +2 Pips

Its a start, but I also liked one of the comments that said the points should be increased as you rank into higher tiers.

Details here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/5/360671583800631247/

voodooray

Some interesting stuff in today's dev DbD twitch stream:

New killer tease:

Rank reset will happen on Saturday 13 August, and will use the new ranking system, which should make it easier to maintain/increase rank. New blood point pip indicator (in black) to show the minimum needed to maintain rank:

Cool fanart (Can't find the source, so just screengrabbed it)

Also, the site below now appears to have the blessing by Behaviour as the official wiki for the game:

http://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Dead_by_Daylight_Wiki

There is tons of stuff there.

Anyway, back to the suffocation pit while I wait for this stuff to drop in the first (free) DLC content sometime this month (allegedly)...

voodooray

HOLY SHIT, the new killer sounds insanely powerful!

As for the new survivor perks on Nea, while they sound useful, I'd probably only want to equip the one to boost speed in all actions. Crawling faster ain't that useful when evading a killer after breaking line of sight, and being able to recover (slightly?) faster when falling from a high level is extremely situational. Some maps don't even have buildings to drop out of.

Ah well, free is free, so looking forward to it to drop on Thursday. They will be dropping information everyday until then on the official website:

http://www.deadbydaylight.com/thelastbreath/

drotahorror

Sitting in the basement corner Insidious camping takes ALOT of skill.

What I wouldn't do to some people IRL I promise to God.

MUnited83

For you.
The new ranking system is... interesting, to say the least. Got all the way from rank 20 to 11 with a single match with the nurse?

voodooray

The new ranking system is... interesting, to say the least. Got all the way from rank 20 to 11 with a single match with the nurse?

Were you Rank 20 prior to the DLC?

I saw this on a few streams after the DLC dropped, in which their rank was reset back to Rank 20, before restoring it back to what it should have been.

There does seem to be a troubling list of new issues with this patch though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/4yfmxw/110_undocumented_changes_bugs/

drotahorror

So this game is unplayable now. Waiting 30min + and never finding a match as a solo survivor. Killers take 5-10+ min every time.

Only way to play consistently is to group with a 4 person survivor party.

Nice job devs.

What a great way to introduce everyone to your free weekend on steam. I'm sure the new people that want to play will just tough it out for hours upon hours of waiting. I know I sure as hell don't bother with MP games when they're free and I can't find a lobby in a timely fashion.

All this free weekend is doing is killing any interest people had in the game if they didn't own it yet.

There were massive issues before this with failing to find servers, booting to lobbies and spending dozens of minutes waiting while in a party of 2 or 3. Why do they not fix these issues before a free weekend? It literally makes zero sense.

voodooray

What a great way to introduce everyone to your free weekend on steam.

The timing definitely could have been better, eh?

Incidently, the devs posted this on their forums:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/361798516945820263/

On Matchmaking & Failing to Join Lobbies

Hey all,

We are aware of the increased difficulty in joining lobbies since the 1.1.0 Patch. We are investigating the issue and will keep you posted as we progress on this.

1.1.0 & current state of things
An increasing number of dead lobbies are still available long after a game has been played or the game has been exited. This is causing players to try and join these invalid lobbies multiple times before being able to join a valid one. We are currently looking into why these lobbies are still available.

Future Changes
One of our highest priority item is changing the matchmaking flow to only stop searching for games once a game has been successfully found and joined (for both solo-queue and Survive With Friend). This is close to being ready but will be released after a few more rounds of testing.

In some cases, it's possible for some players to choose (get matchmaked) to the same lobbies. This makes it so that too many players try and connect to a lobby, and some of them get rejected. We are aware that this issue happens for both Solo-Queue and Survive With Friends and are also working in this.

Additionally, we're also planning on migrating a lot of the matchmaking logic that currently lives on the game clients to backend services which will allow us to have a much better control over matchmaking (queueing, matchmaking parameters, etc). This is not something we have started at the time of writing this, but it is high on our list of priorities.

Hopefully this sheds some light on where we're at and what we're aiming for. We are absolutely aware of the difficulties of getting into games at the moment (both prior and post patch 1.1.0), but we believe that what we're trying to put in place will address all known issues with regards to these difficulties.

Thanks,
bhvr_sbdaniel

drotahorror

Good to know but lobby issues and failing to join has been happening apparently since the game has been around. I feel like this should have been a top priority since the beginning.

It probably seems like I just come to this thread to cry about the game (and I do for the first most part) but I want to say I really enjoy the game and compared to my first few games my opinion on DBD has done a complete 180 and it's one of my favorites of the year.

Just lots of small (and large) problems with it that can be fixed I'd assume but man if it's not frustrating.

I still feel bad for new players though. I was in a game with my friend (his first game) I got killed early sadly and he was the last one left, he got taken to the basement and the killer didn't hook him, just let him crawl for a while and then the killer would take him back to the basement again. He repeated this until my buddy bled out. It's just very annoying what some people will do to be complete pieces of shit.

drotahorror

I saw that live.

I also saw him basement corner insidious camping like a scumbag and saying it wasn't camping. Lost a bit of 'respect' for him.

Either way, the game is in it's worst state I've seen although have only been playing about a month and not much the first couple weeks I had it.

Lunge attacks are outta control
Hits through palettes happen EVERY game (have it happen from both perspectives every game) (no exaggerating, this happens on the reg)
Just general nerfs to the survivors that render a mediocre player like me kind of hopeless.

W/e though, my friends that I got to try this out over the weekend aren't going to bother. The last 2 games we played the killer was rank 1. Not fun for people who have never played or barely played. Not to mention survivors are shit right now imo, unless you're just a god.

Anyways, back to killing idiots due to this matchmaking. I love killing now, it's a free 20k points.

Forgot to mention the auto aim. Holy shit the auto aim.

This is actually unacceptable and needs to be fixed immediately.
https://clips.twitch.tv/admiral_bahroo/ShinyDonkeyANELE

gamma

Yeah, I tried it over the weekend and the idea is really cool, but there are too many issues at the moment. May buy it at a later time.

Might get the game once they remove the auto aim and lunge lol. Like seriously. Survivors are such shit to play right now. Match making was just so bad. I did have fun playing with friends when it actually worked, but it was beyond frustrating. Pressing ready so many times.................

voodooray

1 Million+ copies sold:

http://www.starbreeze.com/2016/08/starbreeze-ab-publ-half-year-q2-report-april-1-june-30/

Some excerpts:

In July, revenue for Dead by Daylight sales via the PC platform Steam amounted to SEK 24.2 million (SEK 0.0 million).

That's like, nearly $3M USD or something? This sounds like a monstrous hit for them.

At the big entertainment show E3 in Los Angeles in June, we released our first publishing title, Dead by Daylight, on Steam. In less than two weeks, we announced that we had sold more than 270,000 units and thereby recouping Starbreeze part of the development costs. As of today, both Starbreeze and developer Behaviour have fully recouped their investment, and beyond, in Dead by Daylight and the game has now surpassed an impressive number of 1,000,000 million units sold.

Anyway, back to the crypt...

Talonz

Might get the game once they remove the auto aim and lunge lol. Like seriously. Survivors are such shit to play right now. Match making was just so bad. I did have fun playing with friends when it actually worked, but it was beyond frustrating. Pressing ready so many times.................

They patched that all up(the lunging and the auto-aim) on Monday.

DirtyLarry

This is the type of game that I really hate the fact that my gaming habits have changed significantly over the years, as I would be all over it just on the premise alone.
Alas, I only get to play in spurts these days, and go weeks without playing anything, and I can tell from the few streams I have checked out and just from following it since it was announced that it is no doubt a game that one needs to dedicate some time in order to learn the nuances and best approaches, etc.
Sucks, but it just is not conducive to my limited time.

So enjoy everyone who does check it out.

Oreoleo

This is the type of game that I really hate the fact that my gaming habits have changed significantly over the years, as I would be all over it just on the premise alone.
Alas, I only get to play in spurts these days, and go weeks without playing anything, and I can tell from the few streams I have checked out and just from following it since it was announced that it is no doubt a game that one needs to dedicate some time in order to learn the nuances and best approaches, etc.
Sucks, but it just is not conducive to my limited time.

So enjoy everyone who does check it out.

I don't think that is really true at all. You just need to play as the killer a few times to know what to do as a survivor to not die immediately, which I think is something a lot of people don't do. The game is mechanically very simple and shouldn't take more than a handful of 10 minute rounds to understand everything.

drotahorror

Got rank 1 survivor today.

Had killer up to rank 5 and was climbing quick but they did the reset and I don't feel like grinding it back. Plus WoW expansion comin.

It's been a great time-killer for a few weeks even though I hated on this game since it came out and hated it for the first few hours of play.

I still wouldn't really recommend this game to most people. It's very frustrating and the devs need to get their shit together.

They really blew a big chance with that free steam weekend. By putting out the most gamebreaking patch to ever exist in the games life cycle and having THAT as the free weekend....such a bad representation and first impression of the game. Not to mention the broken ass killer they introduced.

drotahorror

Glad that they keep supporting the game with bug and balance fixes. And at a fairly fast rate.

BALANCE
Adjusted Flashlight Burn out of Invisibility (350 down from 1000)
Disabled the possibility of flashlight stuns during Hooking & Picking Up Animations

BUG FIXES
Fixed an issue causing Survive With Friends groups to be kicked back to the main menu

^ That one was really buggin me and a buddy. We'll see if it's actually fixed hah.

voodooray

All good changes, but the one thing I'm not appreciating is the downward trend of nerfing points, making it an exceptionally grinding process to get items out of the bloodweb. They need to lower the tier costs to match the fewer points you can ever get in matches.

Oreoleo

Personally, I just don't have a lot to say about the game on GAF. I check the subreddit to see people perennially bitching about the balance on both sides of the coin. I play the game with the OP of this thread once in a while and we have a bunch of "OMG I can't believe that happened/Ugh I can't believe the killer did XYZ in that match" type moments, but nothing that's really gonna generate conversation on a forum.

M_A_C

Is this game worth getting if I'm enjoying Friday the 13th? Or should I just wait for that to come out? Will I get wrecked as a noob?

sakyot

Game is really good. A bit buggy and apparently hard to balance and the devs don't seem to care much, but the core gameplay is there and it works wonders. Considering the big playerbase I wish more people would play it over here. I mean just look at steam chart website. Huge player count. The formula is there and works.

Jacqli

I was given the game as a Christmas present and while I really enjoy the experience (and the core gameplay as it was mentioned above), the game is a buggy mess.

Some times I cannot even join a match (and I am not the only one) because it would get stuck in a loading screen or if a survivor did not click on ready, the match would take a lot to load. I try to verify game cache but that only lasts a pair of matches, a friend of mine even had to delete the game and reinstall it. It kills a good part of my enjoyment.

And now, there is a serious glitch regarding the perks. And several cases of deleted savedata.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't understand how a game consistently in the top 15 to 20 of Twitch gets no love on GAF.
To be honest a lot of PC exclusive multiplayer games and horror games outside of the biggest of the big generally don't get a lot of love on GAF, unfortunately. I just don't think many GAF'ers get into them or haven't delved into the genres yet.

Brandwin

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but this comes out for consoles in a few weeks. I don't recall hearing anything about this, but I have reading up on it and I am excited, especially when can get it at Best Buy for $24.00 plus tax.

While a bit more expensive, Friday The 13th feels like a better version of this.
In this you only have one goal, to repair generators to open the doors so you can escape.
In Friday The 13th, there are more ways to escape and you can even kill Jason.

drotahorror

While a bit more expensive, Friday The 13th feels like a better version of this.
In this you only have one goal, to repair generators to open the doors so you can escape.
In Friday The 13th, there are more ways to escape and you can even kill Jason.

I disagree about F13 being a better version. It COULD have been a better version. It had (and still has) potential to destroy DBD but they botched the launch pretty badly and the gameplay is not very fun imo. There is very little skill involved in surviving in F13. Hell, there's very little skill involved playing as Jason. I'm still playing F13 off and on but I don't see it lasting long for me in it's current shape.

I was really hoping F13 would be the nail in the coffin for DBD, but I was wrong. Recently there was a patch for DBD that fixed my matchmaking problems when grouping with friends though and that's a very welcome change and one of my most frustrating aspects of the game for quite a while. The developers are pretty incompetent so I wasn't expecting it to ever be fixed.

Just to show how much of a loser I am for these 2 games.

I have no doubt that 200 hours in DBD was waiting in a lobby and trying to find a game.

I got my money's worth already from F13 but I was hoping it was the next big MP game for me. I don't see it lasting even another 50 hours really though.

Anyone on PS4 or Xbox One planning to get this? I kind of want to, especially since it's only $30, but i'm worried that nobody will pick this up. Friday the 13th is already out and i'm not sure how many people know about this game. I know it sold well on PC, where it thrives but i'm thinking it's going to be a dud on consoles.

Karamsoul

Anyone on PS4 or Xbox One planning to get this? I kind of want to, especially since it's only $30, but i'm worried that nobody will pick this up. Friday the 13th is already out and i'm not sure how many people know about this game. I know it sold well on PC, where it thrives but i'm thinking it's going to be a dud on consoles.

I'm picking this up. Friday the 13th is fun as heck and this game with the inevitable Michael Myers DLC will be a blast!

I'm picking this up. Friday the 13th is fun as heck and this game with the inevitable Michael Myers DLC will be a blast!

I picked up Friday the 13th last week and it's great. I think I will probably pick this up. Even though it's a similar genre, gameplay looks different enough in this one. Just hope enough people buy it.

Orca

Picked it up on Xbox One and it's hilarious. Immediately got hate mail saying I was camping the hook - I set traps around it as the hag and then went to check a nearby generator. Teleported back when they were set off and downed two others.

SuperPac

I picked it up on PS4. Feel free to add me - username's the same as my GAF name. Just mention GAF/DBD in your friend request plz. And if you're playing F13 I also play that too.

killroy87

I picked it up on PS4. Feel free to add me - username's the same as my GAF name. Just mention GAF/DBD in your friend request plz. And if you're playing F13 I also play that too.

Any idea how big the playerbase is on PS4? I'm curious to get this, but I feel like it was almost a stealth release on consoles.

I'm also curious if the port is decent. Ark on consoles is kind of shit (but Ark on PC is kind of shit too I suppose, haha).

SuperPac

Any idea how big the playerbase is on PS4? I'm curious to get this, but I feel like it was almost a stealth release on consoles.

I'm also curious if the port is decent. Ark on consoles is kind of shit (but Ark on PC is kind of shit too I suppose, haha).

No idea, but finding games was very quick tonight. Though I expected after a game that the party would continue on and that is not the case - after a match, leaving is the only option. Bit strange that Leave is on the triangle button, which I do not think of as a "go from results screen to the next screen to find another game" type of function.

I guess on PS4 in-game chat isn't a thing? I didn't see any voice icon when I had my mic plugged in and I didn't hear anyone else chatting either. Strange if so especially for this genre. I was able to escape twice - once through the exit and once through a hatch. First time playing this game so I was just getting a grasp on the ruleset. I only played as a survivor so far.

Top Bottom