• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 Announced (Yager/Deep Silver, UE4, Spring 2015)

BusterJol

Yager is making this? Whut. I did not expect the developer of Spec Ops The Line to transition to Dead Island 2 of all things. But hopefully it's much better than the first.

MilesTeg

Banned
So basically we are getting two Dead Island games. Meh. Although I guess we need some in game footage of DI2 before we can say for certain

Rubius

I loved 1 and liked Reptide. Will pick 2 for sure. I do hope they fix all the bugs of 1 and reptide. It was nearly unplayable on Pc without custom mods to fix the bugs.

I don't know if it's sad or great that this trailer has been the highlight of E3 so far to me. Really love the song choice.

Has Techland ever explained why Dying Light is a separate franchise from Dead Island?

seems to have very different tone, Dying Light is all serious, survival horror and grim isn't it? while these seems more fun light hearted vibe.

ignoring the gameplay, I prefer Dead Island 2 tone.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
It's developed by Yager in Unreal Engine 4 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Multiplayer is seamless drop in/drop out online and up to 8 players.

For the Dead Island fans: the story picks up some months after the events in Banoi (Dead Island) and Palanai (Dead Island Riptide, which continued the story of DI1). California is under quarantine due to an outbreak. With Yager on board, you can rest assured that any ranged weapons will be a lot more fun to use. The focus is still on melee combat, though!

LycanXIII

For the Dead Island fans: the story picks up some months after the events in Banoi (Dead Island) and Palanai (Dead Island Riptide, which continued the story of DI1). California is under quarantine due to an outbreak. With Yager on board, you can rest assured that any ranged weapons will be a lot more fun to use. The focus is still on melee combat, though!

Hey Maurice! Can you say if there is a time frame for the beta?

But will it have 3D Manuver Gear?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why's it still called Dead Island when there's no island?

LycanXIII

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed that trailer. Very well made and got me excited about the game even though I never played the first one.

McBryBry

Not yet as far as I know. But since game dev typically goes from alpha to beta to release, and DI2 is out in Spring 2015, that should give you a rough indication.

Can you tell us if that's Jack Black and Aaron Paul in the trailer? Because its bugging me now haha.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
A little more interested in Dying Light at the moment, but if this improves on DI sufficiently, it could be cool.

Jagsrock

Banned
Another good trailer, hopefully they don't half ass the actual gameplay this time. Also thumbs up for Jack Black at the end there, that was funny.

jond76

Banned
I wonder how much of Cali they will create. Hopefully we get an LA or San Fran clone. This is the generation that I get my zombie apocalypse metropolis!

Radogol

Has Techland ever explained why Dying Light is a separate franchise from Dead Island?

Dead Island - owned by Deep Silver, the original and Riptide developed by Techland.

Dying Light - owned by Techland, developed by Techland.

So yeah. Techland came up with Dead Island but it is now a Deep Silver franchise and they have no say in how it develops.

What you have here is basically two Dead Island 2 games duking it out.

Wow. That was a great trailer.

I only finished Dead Island 1 earlier this year. I immediately went to on finish Riptide.
Both are fantastic games. The first dragged a bit, but the game play was still solid.

Very happy at this announcement.

Striek

Spec Ops plays like shit as well. That game has seriously awful gameplay

Way more hyped for Dying Light than this, but I'll probably give it a shot.

What a terrible opinion. Spec Ops has great gameplay systems, could easily slot into any other TPS cover shooter (Gears/Uncharted) without noticing a difference. Its AI command system is also one of the better ones out there. At worst its unambitious outside its narrative.

slash3584

Dead Island - owned by Deep Silver, the original and Riptide developed by Techland.

Dying Light - owned by Techland, developed by Techland.

So yeah. Techland came up with Dead Island but it is now a Deep Silver franchise and they have no say in how it develops.

What you have here is basically two Dead Island 2 games duking it out.

So something like Dark Souls / Demon's Souls

tensuke

Another great Dead Island trailer! Don't have high hopes for it myself, didn't really like the first one (or riptide).

Dex815

I didn't like DI1 at all, but something good can come out of this one.

Plus points: knowing that behind the game is the team of Spec Ops The Line, the (at least) voices of Jack Black and Aaron Paul and this awesome trailer (seriously, best trailer of E3).

demolitio

Top Bottom