• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

just bought this off the steam sale, but the online coop by lan through hamachi is not working.... any help would be appreciated. we got terraria to work through hamachi just now. but for some reason the game lobby is greyed out in Dead Island. Thank you folks.

been googling for an hour.

so i guess the prologue is single player only. i have to make it far enough in order to enable the game lobby. Thanks anyway folk.

Melchiah

I played the game through a few weeks ago. I explored the whole island and did most of the quests, excluding the one in the infected zone. The playthrough took me 48h 47min. It got a bit tiresome and repetitive towards the end, but all in all I found it an enjoyable experience, and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. That being said, I hope some things will be changed, like toning down the amount of running infected. Which is the main reason I'll probably never complete Ryder White DLC. They were sometimes a pain in the ass in the prison as well.

There were some annoying bugs as well, like a weapon disappearing from your inventory after modifying it. It happened two times to me, but luckily I could revert back to the last checkpoint, and didn't lose an exceptional weapon. And sometimes the directions for your next objective in the map just disappeared.
EDIT: And during a mission in the prison, I was transported to the objective room after dying, which actually turned out to be a good thing, as I managed to avoid a confrontation with a bunch of those running bastards.

Funnily enough, you could block a Ram in the prison by shutting the bars before him. It would have been awesome if he had been able to charge through them.

I also found the cutscenes somewhat odd, as all of a sudden there was a group of people with me, while I travelled through the game alone. It kinda ruined the immersion. Hopefully they'll provide a different set of cutscenes for single players the next time, although I doubt that will happen. BTW, for some odd reason Xian Mei's voice actor sounds totally different (and awful) in the cutscenes, compared to the gameplay sections.

Decado

Any recommended mods for this game (PC version)?

Also, what is this VAC crap? I just want to play the game via LAN with a friend (using mods). I don't want to be banned from playing because of this dictatorship crap. It's a co-op game!

Decado, I am on LogMeIn Hamachi in order to play over 'lan' with my friend. We do this instead of 'internet'. maybe it'll work w/ mods?

By the way, this game is still pretty fun w/ my friends online. One of my best purchases from steam.

Violater

I am installing this game. If anybody wants to co-op, pm me! PC if it isn't obvious.

oddly enough this is my first play through and I find that some of the sequences are much more tense playing alone. Especially the dark corridor areas or wondering though the forest and not hearing anything but the wind blowing eerily though the trees.

Sarcasm

oddly enough this is my first play through and I find that some of the sequences are much more tense playing alone. Especially the dark corridor areas or wondering though the forest and not hearing anything but the wind blowing eerily though the trees.

Yea I just started..literally (don'tknowreally) an hour ago or so.
just got to the lifeguard place
. First playthrough!

Violater

Yea I just started..literally (don'tknowreally) an hour ago or so.
just got to the lifeguard place
. First playthrough!

Yea I would make sure that I consult the all knowing internet on how to make sure you don't loose your saves. If you understand how the save system work the bugs should be less frustrating. As it is I have lost lots of progress bc of it, I was a good 3 hours in and had to start over bc my file got messed up.

Sarcasm

Yea I would make sure that I consult the all knowing internet on how to make sure you don't loose your saves. If you understand how the save system work the bugs should be less frustrating. As it is I have lost lots of progress bc of it, I was a good 3 hours in and had to start over bc my file got messed up.

I keep finding stuff about the PS version..care to link?

Sarcasm

Well..game keeps freaking crashing after loading my save. I give up I can't even play anymore.

My PC is too good for this game obviously.

Sarcasm

Found a way to play the game..instead of continue - I hit play and than load lol.

Also for talents..it seems unclear if I can skip tiers. Look at this image

(A) Can I skip tier 2 completely and spend points in tier 3? Or do (B) I need one point in tier 2 inorder to unlock tier 3? As of now the way I see it is (B)...but I really don't want anything on tier 2. If one point I guess either 10% or 2 slots in bag....

So after almost a year of having this game on Steam I finally installed it last night only to find out that it's broken. I'm 100% certain that I having the stuttering bug when I use the M&K. The stuttering is gone when the 360 controller is used.

I did notice that there is a tool stickied in the Steam forums that fixes this and other problems. Is the tool pretty much a must have? What other mods are essential to enjoying the game?

Sarcasm

So after almost a year of having this game on Steam I finally installed it last night only to find out that it's broken. I'm 100% certain that I having the stuttering bug when I use the M&K. The stuttering is gone when the 360 controller is used.

I did notice that there is a tool stickied in the Steam forums that fixes this and other problems. Is the tool pretty much a must have? What other mods are essential to enjoying the game?

omg you saved my game..it doesn't CTD anymore.

malfcn

Was gifted for Xmas. Started it, and we were confused as fook trying to co-op. After the prologue we could hook up. Then randoms joined in and we ran around kill stuff. Barely caught any of the story or dialogue. Game is chaotic right now.

Le-mo

Was gifted for Xmas. Started it, and we were confused as fook trying to co-op. After the prologue we could hook up. Then randoms joined in and we ran around kill stuff. Barely caught any of the story or dialogue. Game is chaotic right now.
That's why I play with friends. There's an option in the online setting to turn off public slots so that only friends could join. I'm 9 hours into the game and I'm having a ton of fun. Ran into a few bugs but none were game breaking. It's a slow pace version of Borderlands with zombies. Awesome game.

Any good PC Mods that anyone could recommend? I finally started playing this since buying it via Steam and at least the visuals are much better than on the consoles which this seems to kind of run a bit cruddy.

dorkimoe

I didnt really wanna bump this thread, but just wanted to see I was very LTTP to this but I really am enjoying it.

I'm not very far yet, but I keep running across crafting stations but I have yet to be able to make anything? I have never had a bat or a 2x4 or whatever to insert nails in or whatever. What point do you start being able to craft? Keep in mind, I am picking up everything I see

M.D

Bought this game yesterday, and so far I'm really enjoying it

I really like the combat, it feels... good? I don't know how to describe it, but it feels just right
Also, the loot... I LOVE all the loot :)

One thing I don't like so far - I just looked at the quest list for the main quest, and this game seems way too long

I'm also the type of person who can't go on without doing all the side quests, so this game will be extra long for me.... like I said, I like it so far, but I feel like I've already seen most of the game has to offer in terms of gameplay outside of weapon mods, so I can't see how it will sustain my interest for so long

This may be one of those game I come back to every once in a while

So I bought a Japanese 360S some time ago since I found a pretty good deal, and ended up buying about 6 import games as well, including Dead Island [Zombie of the Year] so I could double up on the achievements for it.

First things first, if anyone is wondering about DLC, it's on the Disc (I'm not sure if it's the same for Game of the Year).
Also, everything, and I mean everything, is the same, language-wise. I don't see any Japanese anywhere. I could imagine this would be a bad game for someone in Japan who doesn't know much english.

And as you could guess, I'm largely playing with Japanese players. I have made one friend on it, who can't speak any english. It was difficult at first, and I felt bad when I noticed I was probably going a bit fast on the tasks, so I slowed it down. Later on, we did a speed run of Act I, starting with new characters and it was quite a lot of fun and it was interestering trying to figure out how to communicate in game with each. (Flickering of the flashlight at an item meant for the other to pick it up, crouching in a safe zone meant brb)

This game is the definition of jank. I finally started the game today and got past the beginning area and holy shit, extreme bloom, horrible animations, bad m&k controls (stuttering on my rig), and weird texture problems.

I ran this tool I found last year to reduce the stuttering, and also reduced the bloom and that made the graphics even worse. Are there any good mods and/or modding guides for this game. So far I really enjoyed what I played, but I don't think I can stomach the graphics as they are for the rest of the game.

edit:

So I went and played around with some of the settings of the tool I found called "Dead Island Helper" and also did some research on the steam forums. Here is what I did:

Changed the Shadow map size to 2048
Disabled the bloom completely
Forced the vertical refresh rate to 120Hz
Ran D3DOverrider and forced triple buffering

The game looks bloody amazing now. Also I launched the game from within the tool, which was something I wasn't doing before.

I just started playing this a few weeks ago but can never find anyone online to play with (PS3). Anyone knocking around online and want to hook up? I'm probably about level 25 and am currently in the City where everyone else is hiding in the church.

Giving a final shout out for this - anyone want to co-op on PS3? It's kind of holding up my backlog so I might give it one last push before deleting it. Want to push on with some other games (Mass Effect, Dragon's Dogma, Metro: Last Light) so I want really to finish with this soon, and if I can do some co-op then all the better.

I really enjoyed it at first, but man, it just dragged on too fucking long.

Melchiah

I really enjoyed it at first, but man, it just dragged on too fucking long.

Pass all the sidequests, or at least those that don't give meaningful rewards, to decrease its length. I did all of them, except the one in the city's quarantine zone, and my playthrough clocked at ~50 hours.

Melchiah

Thanks, I'll give that a try then. Have been doing a lot of side-quests, so I'll start skipping them and see how I find the game then.

It did start to become tedious with all the sidequests, especially in the city. The minus side of skipping them is, that you get less experience points, which could make it harder towards the end. For me it was pretty easy, as I had hoarded so much XP, and weapons & mods. The Deathstalker mod, coupled with machete/katana, did wonders. ;)

Finally decided to persevere with this. I am enjoying it, but goddamn there's just too much content and it's too drawn out. The city is just horrible; getting around is tedious and I was sick and tired of those fucking sewers about half way through the chapter. I'm on chapter 8 and almost 60% of the way through the main story, going to push on and try to get by on the minimum number of side quests possible. Another thing that really pisses me off is how flimsy the damn weapons are. I've never been in a zombie apocalypse, but I'm pretty sure a crowbar or hammer wouldn't fall apart after about 10 minutes in a realistic scenario.

Making good progress with this. I'm in the prison at about 92 percent completion, I've just got Zed's Demise from a mission and added the Death Stalker mod (which is a good but flimsy weapon, and very expensive to repair), and I'm gonna push on to the end now. I know that
Ryder White is a villain
so I'm interested to see what that's about.

Melchiah

Making good progress with this. I'm in the prison at about 92 percent completion, I've just got Zed's Demise from a mission and added the Death Stalker mod (which is a good but flimsy weapon, and very expensive to repair), and I'm gonna push on to the end now. I know that
Ryder White is a villain
so I'm interested to see what that's about.

IIRC, I used some other katana, or machete, with the mod, because it had higher durability, and nearly the same damage value. Of course the fact that I did almost all of the sidequests, and gained more XP, contributed on making the weapons even more durable, unless you've also maxed out that section in your character build.

I liked the prison section, although there was a certain rather annoying part, which featured those running zombies. Luckily I got past it due to a glitch, which moved me to the destination after dying. =)

IIRC, I used some other katana, or machete, with the mod, because it had higher durability, and nearly the same damage value. Of course the fact that I did almost all of the sidequests, and gained more XP, contributed on making the weapons even more durable, unless you've also maxed out that section in your character build.

Yeah, I have a really good machete (Diabolical Military Machete, I think?) which I'm going to add Deathstalker to as well, and I'll keep my katana/wakizashi for tough enemies or situations. I don't recall seeing an upgrade to making Xian's weapons more durable, but I've mainly been focusing on the middle tree to deal more damage. I've just done a fairly annoying section with lots of running zombies (you rescue the prison leader's friend from a cell and an alarm goes off attracting loads of running bastards), but managed it after quite a few attempts.

Melchiah

Yeah, I have a really good machete (Diabolical Military Machete, I think?) which I'm going to add Deathstalker to as well, and I'll keep my katana/wakizashi for tough enemies or situations. I don't recall seeing an upgrade to making Xian's weapons more durable, but I've mainly been focusing on the middle tree to deal more damage. I've just done a fairly annoying section with lots of running zombies (you rescue the prison leader's friend from a cell and an alarm goes off attracting loads of running bastards), but managed it after quite a few attempts.

It's in the survival tree (Custom Maintenance, Rank 3 = +30% durability). I maxed out that as quickly as possible. I think I used the same machete with Xian as well. Worked wonders with the Deathstalker mod, as it often made the zombies convulse and vomit after the first strike.

Yeah, that was the annoying section I meant. I died there, and was teleported to the room I was heading, so I didn't have to go through all those running bastards.

Finished it last night. My overriding thought it how funny the closing cutscene was, where White had a gun on seven people who were standing literally about five feet from him and he lets Jin walk over,
free his zombie wife and then shoots her
(as though we're really supposed to care) and then
turns into a silly monster-mutant beast
thing. It was so bad; like the original Resident Evil or something.

I spent about 24 hours on it according to my stats screen. I did enjoy it overall but I've definitely had my fill now and I won't be playing Riptide either. Hopefully Dying Light is significantly different, although I'm basically expecting the same game again with parkour.

Melchiah

Finished it last night. My overriding thought it how funny the closing cutscene was, where White had a gun on seven people who were standing literally about five feet from him and he lets Jin walk over,
free his zombie wife and then shoots her
(as though we're really supposed to care) and then
turns into a silly monster-mutant beast
thing. It was so bad; like the original Resident Evil or something.

I spent about 24 hours on it according to my stats screen. I did enjoy it overall but I've definitely had my fill now and I won't be playing Riptide either. Hopefully Dying Light is significantly different, although I'm basically expecting the same game again with parkour.

Heh, that certainly was akin to the old Resident Evils. Both of the games have pretty bad bosses, but the one in the original was easy as hell with the Deathstalker mod.

It took me 49 hours with the sidequests, and finding the Developer Mods. It could have been a better overall experience if I had sticked with the main quests, but it's hard to say no when OCD raises its ugly head. ;)

Riptide is more of the same, with some enjoyable parts, and some less so. It's not as prolonged though. It took me about 30 hours with the sidequests.

no doubt this game was tailored for more than 1 style of play- for example, the jungle. There's alot to see there, but people could skip all of it by just sticking to the main quest and going straight to the lab then the prison. They did an awsome job with the city and jungle, it was worth the time it took to explore.

Melchiah

no doubt this game was tailored for more than 1 style of play- for example, the jungle. There's alot to see there, but people could skip all of it by just sticking to the main quest and going straight to the lab then the prison. They did an awsome job with the city and jungle, it was worth the time it took to explore.

I agree when it comes to the jungle section, but the city was too prolonged if you did all the sidequests. There was just too much backtracking involved. Something, which the jungle in Riptide was quilty of as well. I hated it how you had to go back to the other side of the map, to open the path
(the collapsed bridge)
to the next area.

I played thru the whole game single player. Things got pretty damn tedious in the city- at times i wished i had help with all the side quests, but the combat and finding those collectibles/blueprints helped. Have you played CoJ: Gunslinger?

Melchiah

I played thru the whole game single player. Things got pretty damn tedious in the city- at times i wished i had help with all the side quests, but the combat and finding those collectibles/blueprints helped. Have you played CoJ: Gunslinger?

Nah, I'm really not that into western themes.

I think the city section got pretty tedious about the time you went to the pump station, and had to do a mission that involved going through several locations around the map. I did that mostly by driving a car through the narrow streets. The jungle was better in the sense, that you could move across the map faster.

I also played by myself, and I think it added to the experience by making the atmosphere more tense.

Techland, did a great job with Gunslinger. Hell yea- and that speaker quest too.

I used Logan, he's kinda OP to be honest, I could've cheesed thru the whole game with economical throw and mindblowing military knife but that would've got boring quick.

Sorry for the bump, been playing this recently (finally, Steam backlog !) and smashed through the game solo. Thought I would clear up some achievements, such as Right 4 Life, while also doing some co-op online (hadn't touched co-op at this point). However I noticed after my first co-op game ..... once back on the main menu, it re-asked me a bunch of things regarding co-op zombie levelling and that DLC had been installed. I then noticed Right 4 Life achievement had reset my characters that had completed it, and all my personal stats had been wiped (my saves were intact however, phew).

Is this something that can happen when playing co-op ?

Top Bottom