• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

AwShucks

Looks fun...unless it plays just like that for hours on end. The unlimited ammo weapon seems to lack a punch and fires fairly slow, putting the Giant Bomb guys in danger almost constantly.

I hope there is a demo, but I'm still interested after watching the quick look.

No45

Once that rifle was upgraded it looked to be pretty useful - and it adds a fair amount of strategy to the game it seems, you need to make sure you save your 'special' weapons for when you really need them. I think crowd control is going to be really important in this game.

Looks like the multiplier is constant until you get hit in the game, so if you can keep them off you, you should be able to rack up massive scores.

Can't wait for this. ^_^

*is purchasing purely for the squelching noise*

shwimpy

Just watched the GBQL from the start to finish (first one I finished) and I want more! This game looks, plays, and sounds amazing.

Looks like Housemarque delivered once again.

kassatsu

Banned
AwShucks said:
Looks fun...unless it plays just like that for hours on end. The unlimited ammo weapon seems to lack a punch and fires fairly slow, putting the Giant Bomb guys in danger almost constantly.

I hope there is a demo, but I'm still interested after watching the quick look.
They are playing the first level and upgrading the weapons poorly.

Compare Giantbomb's start of 2nd level with my start of 2nd level video.

No45

http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/...1252/Game-Talk-Dead-Nation/?site_locale=en_GB

Take a mad dash through the zombie laden streets of Dead Nation with Housemarque tester Tuukka Meklin.

Tuukka Meklin took some time out from fending off the zombies of Dead Nation to tell eu.playstation.com what it's like to work as a tester on Housemarque's PlayStation 3 exclusive blaster.

What does working as a tester on Dead Nation involve?

My time and focus, apart from endless testing, has been mostly spent with gameplay issues, going through design ideas, difficulty levels and the gameplay balance.

How did you come to work for Housemarque?

It all started when the Housemarque team contacted me because I had done so well on the Super Stardust HD leaderboards. They asked if I was interested in testing their upcoming SSHD add-ons. I had no previous experience in game development, but played my fair share of videogames. After several visits to the team's office, one thing led to another and now I'm working here full-time.

How did you manage to achieve your high scores on Super Stardust HD?

In short, practice makes perfect. But I also exchanged many ideas and tactics with fellow Stardusters like Somini82, ER777 and Bridy. And no, the Housemarque team did not tell me any secrets or anything that would've helped me to achieve those scores back then or now.

What skills and experience from playing Super Stardust HD did you bring over to Dead Nation?

Well, I guess my way of thinking and analysing SSHD to its limit has been somewhat helpful at least. Also, the fact that both games are dual-stick shooters has made it easy for me to compare the overall gameplay. I'd say I'm pretty experienced in that area.

What Super Stardust HD survival techniques are useful in Dead Nation?

Well, shooting and destroying everything before they can reach you is always helpful. SSHD and DN both have a quick escape option in the form of a boost or rush, and both are unlimited but can only be used when fully charged. After that it gets a bit different, as where SSHD had bombs, DN offers items, distracting car alarms and more.

How have you helped balance the difficulty level for new and veteran gamers alike?

In Dead Nation there are appropriate difficulty levels for all kinds of players. My focus has mainly been around the Undead difficulty, which is the hardest of the five difficulty levels, but I've also helped to find the most difficult parts of the easier modes and made them more enjoyable to casual players. I've also taken part in tutorials and information sections that are given to the players to make DN more accessible.

How do you feel the two player mode helps alter the dynamic of Dead Nation?

When playing DN with a partner you can really do more planning and figure out effective strategies. The enemies have two targets and players can take advantage of that. There are lots of fun combinations of weapons and items you can try out with a friend.

What's impressed you most about the game?

The amount of enemies on-screen at once. Explosions with zombie body parts flying across the screen. Awesome lighting and shadows. The atmosphere created by the music and sound effects. I'm also looking forward to see how the global status of each nation will shape up.

Do you think you will be able to get the best high score on Dead Nation?

We'll see. But it would be unfair if I posted a score on day one. I've had a few months to play it now, so at first I think I'll just be checking out the competition and getting in on the action when the time seems right. I hope there will be even more competition than there is in SSHD. Also let's not forget that every single play session helps your country to clear the zombie virus!
Quite awesome that he got a foot-in there just from being good at SSHD.

I wonder if they'll weight the geographic stats to an average per player in that region (and how they determine the region for that matter), or have an absolute number (which will suck for smaller regions)?

How did you come to work for Housemarque?

It all started when the Housemarque team contacted me because I had done so well on the Super Stardust HD leaderboards.

what?! you can get a job just because you were high on a leaderboard? woooaahhh

i was like 8th best in Finland at SSHD at some point (counted the flag symbols :p), goddamn, i should have practiced more...

CozMick

Banned
I now have the cash sitting in my wallet. :D

The more I see the videos and trailers for this game, the more I crave it.

Left 4 Dead was awesome, but his looks even more enjoyable.

Roll on Wednesday

Ricker

Didn`t see it in the OP...couch co-op in this?...I need to know because my nephew will come and play this with me,we played the crap out of the Hunter the Reckoning game in the day and i`m sure he will love this,and I only have 1 DS3.

Crisis

Banned
Ricker said:
Didn`t see it in the OP...couch co-op in this?...I need to know because my nephew will come and play this with me,we played the crap out of the Hunter the Reckoning game in the day and i`m sure he will love this,and I only have 1 DS3.

You can co-op locally.

Xater

Has anyone heard anything about the game being censored in Germany? I am just wondering if I need to get me a US or UK PSN card.

shwimpy

227839420.gif

So excited. Looks like the perfect game in between GT5 sessions. :D

LifEndz

Kintaro said:
This quicklook sold me...after looking past how much they suck actually playing games.

When will Giant Bomb stop the whole family guy routine? The constant shtick is really getting old.

see5harp

Kintaro said:
This quicklook sold me...after looking past how much they suck actually playing games.

I don't know I played Hot Pursuit with Jeff randomly the other day and he wasn't really that bad.

see5harp

kassatsu said:
It is brad and vinny in th ql.

I was just saying that, in general, I don't think Giant Bomb are bad at playing games. They are offering narration and gameplay for games that they may have little experience with. I'm sure when Jeff is playing there are plenty of people here thinking about how terrible they are.

Mesijs

I completed and reviewed the game (gave it a 9) and I am REALLY, REALLY surprised by the negative reviews and 6s.

I'm surprised for your reactions because I find this game top-notch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damn you vacation for not letting me play this the second it's released.

Mesijs said:
I completed and reviewed the game (gave it a 9) and I am REALLY, REALLY surprised by the negative reviews and 6s.

I'm surprised for your reactions because I find this game top-notch.
Pfft, it's just Destructoid.

- Adds D********** on a personal ignore list
- Adds Mesijs on a buddy list.

ssowinski

Just loaded my PSN wallet with a $20 card to expedite my purchase tomorrow. I have my kids walking around the house as zombies as we speak. Braaaaiiins!

Ricker

The Destructoid review says there will be a trial/demo or is it just their way of saying it`s average(what all their 6/10 score say)???

zon

From http://www.housemarque.com/ (there are links to each review)

"With endless replay value, a Platinum trophy, and offline and online co-op, it puts together everything that gamers, not just shooter, zombie, or horror fans, will love."
10 / 10 + Editor´s Choice at PlayStation LifeStyle

"Dead Nation is a must buy hands down. In a market where the zombie genre is slowly taking over this game stands above most of them to provide a superior experience."
5/ 5 + Editor´s Choice Award at Just Push Start

"To put it simply slaughtering zombies does not get any better than this. "
9 / 10 at GamingBolt

"‘Dead Nation’ is a must-have for PS3 owners, even if you’re not “into Zombies”"
A+ at PS Nation

"For $15, you really can't go wrong with Dead Nation -- it's seriously lots of fun."
B+ at 1Up

"Housemarque’s Deadnation goes above and beyond what anyone may have expected with a zombie killing game. It is far from simple, with its deep weapons and armor system ... and an overall experience that is addictive and fun. PSN games don’t get any better than this."
10 / 10 at Terminal Gamer

"Dead Nation will no doubt be one of the most addictive and well polished PSN titles you will play all year."
9 / 10 at PS3Vault

"Dead Nation is a PSN experience to die for!"
9 / 10 at Gamergeddon

"One of the best downloadable games on the Playstation Network to-date and at 15 Dollars, a must buy for PS3 owners"
8.5 / 10 at onPause.org

9 / 10 at PSN!

“Dead Nation hits all its marks; great mechanics, clever level design, and a deep scoring system all build toward an unwavering sense of tension. ”
9 / 10 at Digital Chumps

9 / 10 at RipTen

The action is exciting, the presentation is a sheer knockout, and the replay value is through the roof...
8.5 / 10 at GameZone

todahawk

Ricker said:
The Destructoid review says there will be a trial/demo or is it just their way of saying it`s average(what all their 6/10 score say)???
my impression is that they're saying to demo it.

No45

Lord Error said:
Pfft, it's just Destructoid.
Certainly seems that way, almost everything else is positive. Really looking forward to this, I'm rocking the PS+ dynamic theme in anticipation. ^_^

naib

Someone remind me when PSN usually updates? I haven't wanted to hover over the button like this in a LONG time.

I'm hoping I can play it a little before I have to grab the kiddo from school..
I don't have to trabajo mañana. >:9

So excited about this game.

Top Bottom