• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

kassatsu

Banned
Revolutionary said:
EDIT2: Okay, to be clear... if I quit out to the Menu to join a friend in a Online Co-Op game, will my multiplier in singleplayer be saved?
Not sure, my guess is no though.

see5harp

I have never had a file take so long to download. I have a 18M download speed constant and this has taken more than an hour now.

TripOpt55

Downloaded it earlier and I will give it a try tonight. Kind of hoping I can finish up AC Brotherhood first before starting up another new game.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Put some time into it, game is really something special. Haven't been this content with a twin stick shooter since, well, Housemarque's last game. Very polished, fantastic controls, rough difficulty and charged head shots are awesome. I love shooting a charged shot into a crowd and hearing half a dozen heads pop.

I kind of get a Killing Floor vibe from this, in a way. Missing "They're guns boys, you know what to do with 'em" though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this game is badass

I really like it 3 chapters in. Shit gets intense when you've taken damage and the horde arrives, you gotta get desperate and start asploding cars and shit. I look forward to playing it on the hard difficulties. Co-op will probably add even more fun to it. It's simple but very satisfying and the game has a ton of style.

USA is the no. 1 killer of zombies, fuck yeah

kassatsu

Banned
Snuggler said:
this game is badass

I really like it 3 chapters in. Shit gets intense when you've taken damage and the horde arrives, you gotta get desperate and start asploding cars and shit. I look forward to playing it on the hard difficulties. Co-op will probably add even more fun to it. It's simple but very satisfying and the game has a ton of style.

USA is the no. 1 killer of zombies, fuck yeah
USA has never not been #1. :D

Well held that shit down during preview/review time

Raoh

installing it now...

been looking forward to this one..

all i need now is under siege and my year is complete

see5harp

I know it's still early but I find it ridiculous that I'm already in the top 400 after playing only 2 levels. Come on people buy this shit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's a really cool detail to see the country leaderboards update continuously in real time. You get a fun sense of how furiously (or not) people in each country are playing the game.

It's kind of funny to check out a place where like one person has bought the game, is naturally the top rated zombie killer, and see the kill count slowly tick upward as they do their duty :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Grim is fucking hard for solo play and the first playthrough. God, how the hell are you supposed to survive with the default gun and lack of decent armor unless you go through levels... which means struggling to get from checkpoint to checkpoint.

The "arena"/hold-this-place-until-you-clear-the-zombies-to-unlock-the-door areas are fucking brutal.

Adam J.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but am totally getting destroyed playing this solo on normal difficulty and am loving every minute of it. Wasn't expecting this game to be so intense.

Kittonwy

Banned
The game fucking freezes when it's connected to the network for me.
Indifferent2.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've already fully upgraded my rifle. It feels like all I need with it being much faster/powerful after being upgraded and with the infinite ammo. The shotgun and SMG seem a lot less effective, but I haven't upgraded them much yet. Seems like I'll have everything maxed out within a few more missions.
So, when I'm done with this campaign, will my upgrades/armor reset if I start a new single player or online game? I'm hoping it's persistent so I can tackle Morbid with my shit maxed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheSeks said:
Grim is fucking hard for solo play and the first playthrough. God, how the hell are you supposed to survive with the default gun and lack of decent armor unless you go through levels... which means struggling to get from checkpoint to checkpoint.

The "arena"/hold-this-place-until-you-clear-the-zombies-to-unlock-the-door areas are fucking brutal.

Nevermind. Once you max your infinite ammo gun + max the grenades/flares/mines you pretty much can breathe easier. Lay a mine out where you can traffic the horde through it. Watch mine detonate 6 times giving you a bunch of red orbs and money to replenish your four mine stock. Throw flares as a last ditch option to gather enemies to rapid fire them with 40 rounds/reload breather. Grenades in a quick get them off me attempt.

Just need better armor to survive the attacks, getting one armor piece in level 2 where the bar/bikes were was brutal as there was like 1000 of the fuckers coming after me. Holy shit.

Okay, after level 7, I'm back with some complaints:
1. Melee is very finicky. Sometimes it'd look like the zombie is within range and I'd slice, and nothing. I've resorted to spraying and praying with the SMG over melee.
2. It'd be nice if there was a recommended setting for the brightness (like most games have - "adjust brightness until blah is visible"). Some of these levels are damn near pitch black, save for the flashlight, and I don't know if it's supposed to be THAT dark.
3. Red/summoned zombies are so annoying - they're virtually silent and make a conscious effort to avoid your flashlight (meaning, they'll flank you every chance they get). Making matters worse is the fact that all they need to do is touch you and they're practically hanging on you and wailing on you until you kill them... and by the time you do that, you're already down a good 50x in multiplier. So. Fucking. Annoying.
4. The jumping tank zombies... if they spawn from the bottom of the screen: YOU ARE FUCKED. Instant -100+ multiplier and at least a quarter of your health. From the top of the screen it's at least possible to pick them off before they get within range, but from the bottom it's significantly more difficult. They have way too much range to that damn jump.
5. Level 7 crescendo OH MY GOD
sooo bad. Really Housemarque? You thought it would be fun to have to destroy the walls holding the FOUR summoning zombies and kill them WHILE fighting off the hundreds of summoned zombies and waves of boomers and blade-arm things (Protip: Flares do not work on them :|), in a small area with NO ENVIRONMENTAL HELP WHATSOEVER?
Maybe this particular crescendo is better with a partner but holy fuck do I need a good 5 joints after completing that shit in singleplayer.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it overall - I just had to vent a little bit. :lol

Oh, and I like the cutscenes. They remind me of old school Twisted Metal ones.

Grisby

Just shot some zombies for my country. The is pretty fun so far and I feel they did a good job portraying the intensity that comes when facing a zombie herd.

Kittonwy

Banned
OMG it doesn't allow 100 friends, I had to delete Atrus off my list since he hasn't been on for 3 months, now it's working.
Indifferent2.gif

Played this for a few hours tonight. HM does it again. Super Stardust HD was amazing, and this is also amazing. Those zombies are fricken fierce, and don't hold back at all. When they get into large groups and start running at you, it gets very tense. So far there isn't anything I dislike about this game. Love it all. :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Virro said:
U
S
A

U
S
A

...so what happens when it hits 100%?
I'm guessing the percentage will reset and the Virus Cycle will roll over to Virus Cycle 2 :D

Psykotik

bought this off the US store but representing Singapore as my country on my main (Singapore) PSN account.

my real country isn't listed and isn't even an option when creating a PSN account...!

Gah why did I buy Tomb Raider, this looks so much better. I will hopefully get it within a few days but I regret buying GoL (borinnng).

W1SSY

Picked this up and wasted a good two hours playing solo and with my roommate. The difficulty is no joke. Tried on normal solo and then bumped it up for coop and we were getting messed up. So far really loving the game especially with coop.

kassatsu

Banned
W1SSY said:
Picked this up and wasted a good two hours playing solo and with my roommate. The difficulty is no joke. Tried on normal solo and then bumped it up for coop and we were getting messed up. So far really loving the game especially with coop.
Your armor carries over if you beat the game. So I would recommend beating it once before trying a difficulty that is too hard.

W1SSY

kassatsu said:
Your armor carries over if you beat the game. So I would recommend beating it once before trying a difficulty that is too hard.
Thanks for the tip. Been looking for a manual to look over some things. I will probably finish my solo game first then.

see5harp

I love the game for the most part but I haven't quite figured out the melee. It seems like it doesn't hit in many cases or that it hits, but I end up taking damage anyways so it may be better to just switch weapons. I'm at around 50 million in the 6th or 7th level. The jump to the top 10 or so is a big jump and it interesting that the top score is on normal. Building up your multiplier seems to be the deal with the score so basically don't get hit.

see5harp

Lion Heart said:
Gah why did I buy Tomb Raider, this looks so much better. I will hopefully get it within a few days but I regret buying GoL (borinnng).

This is a better looking game overall, but it doesn't come close to the joy of playing GoL coop. Much more design with coop and levels in GoL.

Just beat the game. Took me around 7 hours in total, on Normal. #1 Normal score in the world, baby!
...until more people beat it tomorrow :(

But yeah, overall it was a pretty good game. Not quite SSHD levels of greatness (see previous post), but still pretty damn good. Can't wait to try it out on Hard Co-Op tomorrow.

Revolutionary said:
Okay, to be clear... if I quit out to the Menu to join a friend in a Online Co-Op game, will my multiplier in singleplayer be saved?

Co-op is treated as a totally separate game mode. So yes, you single player will remain at whatever last point the game saved.

Revolutionary said:
Just beat the game. Took me around 7 hours in total, on Normal. #1 Normal score in the world, baby!
...until more people beat it tomorrow :(

But yeah, overall it was a pretty good game. Not quite SSHD levels of greatness (see previous post), but still pretty damn good. Can't wait to try it out on Hard Co-Op tomorrow.

I played 2 level on normal and thought to myself "this is a piece of cake"

So I decided to restart on the grim difficulty...man does the game get boringly slow.

Instead of increasing the aggressiveness and number of zombies, the game just pretty much makes them all harder to kill (while all the upgrade remains the same.)

Then co-op grim is even harder(slower) than solo grim.

While still fun, I'm not going to look forward to plating the game if it means taking everything slowly.

Dreamgazer said:
I played 2 level on normal and thought to myself "this is a piece of cake"

So I decided to restart on the grim difficulty...man does the game get boringly slow.

Instead of increasing the aggressiveness and number of zombies, the game just pretty much makes them all harder to kill (while all the upgrade remains the same.)

Then co-op grim is even harder(slower) than solo grim.

While still fun, I'm not going to look forward to plating the game if it means taking everything slowly.
Meh, I'm used to playing that way from L4D Expert difficulty - I probably had an average of 10 minutes over par time each stage. :lol Unfortunately, the slow and steady strategy doesn't help when the game decides to throw zombies at you from every direction... not a real fan of that.
They felt more like glorified monster closets, really. For example: go into an alley to pick up a secret cache and bam, tons of zombies come out of nowhere behind you. The game has a LOT of those moments and it's one of the reasons I don't consider this one as great as SSHD. It feels very scripted, and in a VERY cheap way ("here, have every zombie in the game on one screen. enjoy!").

But I digress... in the end, I still enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Oh, and the game has me clocked in at 4 hours, 26 minutes. Not 7. I forgot I paused the game for a while.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Played up until chapter 4.

Game is fun
Button mapping could be better. Often times I have the wrong weapon equipped and want to switch, only to have to cycle through a few times to get the correct weapon. One weapon on each d-pad direction/bombs on the face buttons would have been preferable.
Tried one co-op game. A little laggy, but it's nice to see it has matchmaking.
HUD is really annoying with the score smack in the middle of the screen.

kassatsu

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Played up until chapter 4.

Game is fun
Button mapping could be better. Often times I have the wrong weapon equipped and want to switch, only to have to cycle through a few times to get the correct weapon. One weapon on each d-pad direction/bombs on the face buttons would have been preferable.
Tried one co-op game. A little laggy, but it's nice to see it has matchmaking.
HUD is really annoying with the score smack in the middle of the screen.
You can map the controls... it is in the options. But nothing crazy like what you want lol. There are more than 4 weapons :x

Also RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 92% loot on Harbor Docks

Jaroof

This game is pretty amazing. Especially on coop. Bummer that it doesn't support mics...
hopefully they patch that in.

I'm currently ranked #43 in coop, and I haven't even finished the game :D

Also, has this happened to anyone else? :lol
I swear it must be a zombie game thing, because this happened to me a few times in Dead Rising 2. Zombies just love to breakdance after dying..

Lyonaz said:
The main theme is made of awesome sauce!

YES!! It sounds very Super Stardust HD-ish.

Top Bottom