• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

No, it is not fine on PC and no, we do not have to accept it.

Specifically, "it" being the fact that PC as a platform is no different on a fundamental level from consoles. You play games on it, and occasionally you have to deal with ("accept") the reality that developers will make executive decisions sometimes to your detriment.

This is no different than 1920x800 or 1080i or 792p.

And just like console gamers, you do have to accept it. Bitch and moan if you want, that's fine, feedback is fine.

The vitriol directed at the developers though? Grow up.

It's about knowing you bought something that can do better, doesn't mean it's justifying my purchase it means that there is a standard and capcom is limboing under it because they can't be bothered.

This whole outrage isn't just because of this game having these limitations, it's also about this potentially being the standard for all capcom games on pc going forward which is a very scary thought.

And a pretty unreasonable one.

Devil May Cry 4, Street Fighter 4 vanilla, and probably more capcom games from that era had 120 fps options right in the menus and now they are downgrading that far?

Well those weren't really ports, MT framework games are pc games ported down to console, the SF4 engine developed by dimps kinda followed the same development principle.

This "forge" engine for DR3 seems to have been made specifically with xbox one in mind.

It's about knowing you bought something that can do better, doesn't mean it's justifying my purchase it means that there is a standard and capcom is limboing under it because they can't be bothered.

This whole outrage isn't just because of this game having these limitations, it's also about this potentially being the standard for all capcom games on pc going forward which is a very scary thought.

unless all Capcom games going forward are developed as Xbone exclusives then suddenly ported to PC, this won't become the norm

Soo... you agree with me? They need a justification for spending that money, and 60fps is the current justification.

I'm not sure what you're going for. 60 FPS is a great thing, and a reason as to why one would build a PC as compared to only gaming on consoles where 30 FPS is the standard. It's a reason why you spend money on hardware, not a justification.

I think some people are just overly hyperbolic about things in general. If nothing else the amount of cursing/fuck you capcoms in this thread are embarrassing but that's unrelated to hardware of course.

antitrop

I'm not sure what you're going for. 60 FPS is a great thing, and a reason as to why one would build a PC as compared to only gaming on consoles where 30 FPS is the standard. It's a reason why you spend money on hardware, not a justification.

I think he's bitter that people have better PCs than he does. Other than that, I have no idea what he's getting at.

I don't know why else someone would care how much money someone else spends on their computer or what settings they like to play their games at.

I think some people are just overly hyperbolic about things in general. If nothing else the amount of cursing/fuck you capcoms in this thread are embarrassing but that's unrelated to hardware of course.

Sure, I'd agree that 60 is a bigger number than 30, and you at least can reasonably and logically express a preference. No disagreement there. But I just think if that's all it was, a preference, then we wouldn't see the embarrassing amount of hyperbole in this thread. The kind of visceral reaction to hearing the phrase "30 fps" that then leads to all of these "fuck you Capcoms" and "don't release it" or the gleeful delight in proclaiming that they plan on buying the game at a $2 Steam sale has to come from a much deeper emotional place. And given the comment I linked to about spending $1,000 on a PC, I have to believe that a lot of that emotion is a desire to feel like they "made the right choice" by spending money on a gaming PC or new console. In other words, fanboyism.

vg260

I wanted 60 fps in this, but who are people ranting at here?

The original devs, Capcom Vancouver, that apparently originally coded game physics and potentially animations to 30 fps for consoles, or the PC port team who are gonna let you run it at 60 fps even if it breaks some of the stuff that was designed for 30fps?

If it's the latter, I think you're missing the subtleties here.

If the only choice to play the game without weirdness and glitches is at 30 fps, I'm glad at least they're giving the option of an unlocked frame rate and deal with any weirdness. It's perfectly reasonable to make the disclaimer that the game wasn't designed for it, since that seems to be the case.

The only valid complaint here, imo, is the lack of foresight in designing the game originally.

antitrop

The only valid complaint here, imo, is the lack of foresight in designing the game originally.
There's already a precedent for having the Dead Rising franchise on PC, so it is truly baffling.

I guess this is what happens when you have to rush a game for a console launch.

I wanted 60 fps in this, but who are people ranting at here?

The original devs, Capcom Vancouver, that apparently originally coded game physics and potentially animations to 30 fps for consoles, or the PC port team who are gonna let you run it at 60 fps even if it breaks some of the stuff that was designed for 30fps?

If it's the latter, I think you're missing the subtleties here.

If the only choice to play the game without weirdness and glitches is at 30 fps, I'm glad at least they're giving the option of an unlocked frame rate and deal with any weirdness. It's perfectly reasonable to make the disclaimer that the game wasn't designed for it, since that seems to be the case.

exactly this

when we don't even know that the uncapped weirdness is going to be, it's ridiculous to complain at this point

sega4ever

QLOC fixed everything up nice and tight besides 2 (afaik) animations, both rifle reloads. They even patched the specular highlights back in.

their port of re4 came with mouse acceleration, the same with resident evil revelations, a port they did earlier. it was fixed eventually in both games but why did re4 ship with a problem they already knew about?

Oh, wow. That's quite an accomplishment, considering those were tied to the GameCube's hardware. I didn't even know they did that.

qloc didn't even find the problem, a user on the steam forums found it. i'm glad it was fixed why if they were such a good team why didn't they find it themselves.

antitrop

their port of re4 came with mouse acceleration, the same with resident evil revelations, a port they did earlier. it was fixed eventually in both games but why did re4 ship with a problem they already knew about?

Mouse Acceleration is the worst. I don't know why developers cater to luddites that haven't purchased a new mouse since Clinton was President.

Couldn't tell you tbh but they still put a lot of work into the port. And their other ports are great too.

TheD

The Detective
Specifically, "it" being the fact that PC as a platform is no different on a fundamental level from consoles. You play games on it, and occasionally you have to deal with ("accept") the reality that developers will make executive decisions sometimes to your detriment.

And just like console gamers, you do have to accept it. Bitch and moan if you want, that's fine, feedback is fine.

The PC is fundamental different from consoles!
It does not have a fix hardware target so it is normal for a PC game to not be limited by things like resolution and framerate!

We do not have to fucking accept it!

The only ones that need to grow are people that defend crap like this!

antitrop

Why do developers do this shit on PC? Why release a game at 30fps locked on PC ever?

You'll be able to play the game at higher than 30fps, but they can't guarantee that everything will work properly.

The physics system was hardcoded for 30fps, probably because the developers had to rush it the fuck out to make Xbone launch and they could give a fuck less about a potential PC port 8 months later when they were crunching and sleeping at the office.

But that's just my guess.

MUnited83

For you.
I

Holy crap that's a stretch the size of the damn world. Maybe if all their games are actually Xbox One exclusives that started development as a 360 games. Otherwise? Come the fuck on.

Nethaniah

Holy crap that's a stretch the size of the damn world. Maybe if all their games are actually Xbox One exclusives that started development as a 360 games. Otherwise? Come the fuck on.

Not that much of a stretch to believe that their new engine isn't optimized in the slightest for pc and that this will be the standard going forward when capcom bothers to release a game on pc.

Remember that their previous engine had them making actual pc versions (though not fully complete) and then just have them put in the fridge while they downscale them to work on consoles, atleast that's how i understood the situation, could be wrong.

Gattsu25

Banned

It's not the same thing, though, because unlike consoles the PC is not a fixed platform.

Concessions made on consoles (e.g. 792p) have no bearing on PC because people can and will brute force beyond them. If the game's internal renderer is always running at 720p and limiting the game to 30fps, then geniuses like Durante will come in and break those barriers down for the rest of us.

PC games should be coded in ways that allow forward compatibility, more powerful hardware means that players will be able to extract more out of the game. By limiting the framerate to a value as low as 30fps, the devs are only limiting their game and their audience.

Edit: Just saw the username, did I fall for a joke post?

IseSmX1.gif

I gave it my best shot.

Tain

Concessions made on consoles (e.g. 792p) have no bearing on PC because people can and will brute force beyond them. If the game's internal renderer is always running at 720p and limiting the game to 30fps, then geniuses like Durante will come in and break those barriers down for the rest of us.

...But this doesn't always happen. Sometimes these concessions are so fundamental that the effort is too great for modders, just like it was the employed port team before them. Sometimes the realities of a game's development mean that achieving 60 fps isn't as simple as deactivating some internal cap and demands more drastic changes and more hours testing.

It sucks, but this does not look like a PC game. This is a port of a console game that, depending on the results we see when it's released, might have had some myopic decisions made during development.

Such port. Many good dev. Wow.

What the fuck. Most incompetent devs in history. And yet they make my favorite games. #MonHunWesternerProblems

Persona7

Banned
Such port. Many good dev. Wow.

What the fuck. Most incompetent devs in history. And yet they make my favorite games. #MonHunWesternerProblems

I am sure the devs can do it. The problem is if Capcom is willing to spend millions of dollars and lots of time to rework the entire game. Do they expect this game to sell enough to cover all of that and then some?

I have to assume this has something to do with the engine the game is running on since it's not MT Framework, for which pretty much every game it's been on has run fantastically even on underpowered hardware.

Not that much of a stretch to believe that their new engine isn't optimized in the slightest for pc and that this will be the standard going forward when capcom bothers to release a game on pc.

Remember that their previous engine had them making actual pc versions (though not fully complete) and then just have them put in the fridge while they downscale them to work on consoles, atleast that's how i understood the situation, could be wrong.

It's a pretty big stretch when MT framework was never allowed outside game developed internally at their Osaka studio, with the exception being MvC3.
This Forge engine is just another internal thing Capcom Vancouver made for DR3, just how they used something internal for DR2.

If with "their" new engine you mean "Capcom's" new engine, then this is not it. Go and look at Deep Down, that's the game that is being powered by their new engine (and MTF replacement) Panta Rhei.

Nethaniah

It's a pretty big stretch when MT framework was never allowed outside game developed internally at their Osaka studio, with the exception being MvC3.
This Forge engine is just another internal thing Capcom Vancouver made for DR3, just how they used something internal for DR2.

If with "their" new engine you mean "Capcom's" new engine, then this is not it. Go and look at Deep Down, that's the game that is being powered by their new engine (and MTF replacement) Panta Rhei.

Dissapointing first next-gen release from Capcom on pc nonetheless.

I'll keep my eye on this but them coming out and saying stuff like this says alot.

TheD

The Detective
...But this doesn't always happen. Sometimes these concessions are so fundamental that the effort is too great for modders, just like it was the employed port team before them. Sometimes the realities of a game's development mean that achieving 60 fps isn't as simple as deactivating some internal cap and demands more drastic changes and more hours testing.

It sucks, but this does not look like a PC game. This is a port of a console game that, depending on the results we see when it's released, might have had some myopic decisions made during development.

But they should still fix it, they are going to be charging a notable amount of money for the game after all.

I am sure the devs can do it. The problem is if Capcom is willing to spend millions of dollars and lots of time to rework the entire game. Do they expect this game to sell enough to cover all of that and then some?

They do not have to spend millions to fix this (and they are very much not reworking the entire game).

Zimbardo

'we'll let you mess with it'.

how about you (the devs) mess with it and make it a proper port.

such bullshit that this kinda stuff still happens. so fucking lazy.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
What the fuck is this? Have we really come to this point where a developer don't even know jack shit about the own game, and showing incompetency shamelessly? Are they blatantly asking for guys like Durante to do their work?

Tain

But they should still fix it, they are going to be charging a notable amount of money for the game after all.

It would be great if Capcom would allot them the budget to do that, which is more likely the limiting factor than "lazy developers".

Capcom makes me so fucking sad these days.

They'll have to be driven to the brink of financial collapse before they come crawling back on hands and knees to their fans and try to act like they cared all along and didn't kick us to the curb for the hope of easy smartphone free to play money.

Well I guess I can wait for a steam sale if they feel like they can just put out a half added product and tell us to their face that they don't care enough to fix it. "Playing this like almost every game ever including the last two we released on PC might be broken lol you suckers will still buy it"

FUCK YOU CAPCOM

Top Bottom