• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC Steam pre-load is live

plenty of choices to get it running at a steady 1080/60

kriyzb.png
uebkdi.png

Good to see after the crappy options in Metro Redux.

Karak

Glad to see more peeps jumping on this. It's a great game worth being seen by as many people as possible.

There IS a time limit in the regular game. Its a lot more time than prior games had, so you arent rushing through it like a crazy person. But there is a time limit, so you cant just spend as much time exploring and admiring the scenery as you want.

This annoyed me greatly at first, though I later came to realize that having a time limit is important for the way the game is balanced and designed to be played. The way the game works, you can basically become insanely powerful and levelled up by taking the time to create super weapons (eg visiting a base to pick up the items from the storage lockbox). I did this, and levelled up very quickly and basically the game became super easy, though I still enjoyed it. It meant I didnt have time to complete many of the side missions though.

Interestingly, it looks like the DLC does allow you to spend as long as you want within the world.

I loved this game, so I look forward to a sequel. The driving and guns in this game are awesome, and its my favorite game in the series.

Qassim

Does anyone know if this supports framerates above 60? I'm not really into the Dead Rising games, but if I see it cheap somewhere in the future and I'm bored, it may help its cause to know details like that.

sarcoa

Does anyone know if this supports framerates above 60? I'm not really into the Dead Rising games, but if I see it cheap somewhere in the future and I'm bored, it may help its cause to know details like that.
It's locked at 30 but, oddly enough, my review code email had a line of code to create as an ini file, uncapping the frame rate.

Ceebs

There's 720p, 900p, 1080p or Full options.

Usually, anything lower than Full looks like arse though.

It's a bit like Call of Duty: Ghosts, if you played that on PC.

Wait...so what does this look like on monitors with resolutions greater than 1080p?

d00d3n

Anyone know if you can VPN this to unlock it early?

Yes, you can. Use openVPN to a server in Japan (pick one from vpngate). Remember to run openvpn with administrator privileges. I am unlocking the game right now.

Edit: Unlocking is really slow this time. I think my vpn is overloaded by other early unlockers.

d00d3n

unlock fps:
create the file user.ini in the base game folder (where deadrising3.exe is)
write the single line "gmpcr_unlock_frame_rate = True" (without quotes) to the file

some really preliminary frapsing (3570k, 8 gig ram, geforce 780 sli, win7):
at 1080p, everything maxed, the fps hovers slightly over 60, 69-79 or so
seemed pretty stable, but I only moved around the intro area

Ugh how does this compare to the first 2 games. I'm interested but I really don't know if another sandbox zombie game is something I need in my life right now.

Seyavesh

can you check the file archive types to see if the files are still stored in .big and if the weapon, character and area data are all stored in plaintext files and .csv files

if so i am hype hype HYPE

Ugh how does this compare to the first 2 games. I'm interested but I really don't know if another sandbox zombie game is something I need in my life right now.

I dunno dead rising always stood out to me in the sea of zombie games. Id say its better then both game except for a few things.

d00d3n

can you check the file archive types to see if the files are still stored in .big and if the weapon, character and area data are all stored in plaintext files and .csv files

if so i am hype hype HYPE

The game has many sub folders, but as far as I can tell the data structure is like you describe it. The csv and txt files I have looked into are mostly graphics settings, so I can't say anything about weapon, character or area data specifically.

d00d3n

In the folder deadrising3/data/datafile there is a file named scalability_profiles.txt that reads like this:

cScalabilityProfile xbox360
{
cScalabilitySelectedOption msaa_type
{
option = "msaa_4x"
}
}

cScalabilityProfile ps3
{
{
option = "msaa_2x"
}
}

cScalabilityProfile pc
{
{
option = "msaa_none"
}
}

What does it mean? Remnants from Dead Rising 2?

Seyavesh

In the folder deadrising3/data/datafile there is a file named scalability_profiles.txt that reads like this:

What does it mean? Remnants from Dead Rising 2?

yes, the datafile in DR2 has the same stuff. that there's a datafile folder hopefully means that sharing/installing mods won't be a huge pain in the ass now and require re-packing .big files

dcassell

Banned
Are there significant negatives to activating via VPN on steam? I've read that it will get you banned, so I'm cautious.

Are there significant negatives to activating via VPN on steam? I've read that it will get you banned, so I'm cautious.

I've done it around ten times over the years and have never run into an issue or gotten into trouble. What valve will ban you for is using a VPN to access another region's prices. Ie, if I use a Russian vpn and go buy games.

For whatever reason DR3 wouldn't unlock for me with a VPN, no one else seems to be having issues though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok played for about 2 hours just now.

This is on a win7 box with 12 gigs ran and a 660ti.

In short, it's pretty bad. It is limited to 30fps, and it jumps all over the place between 10 and 30 fps.

My initial settings were running at 1080p with fxaa antialiasing, medium shadows, motion blur, subsurface scattering and dof off. Everything else on high.

I dropped it down to "720p rendering", and it made things slightly better. But only a few frames. It was still jumping around everywhere.

I think the biggest culprit is streaming. My drive is constantly crunching the entire time I'm playing (7200 non SDD). It maintains 30fps when standing still, but running forward and especially turning makes it crunch all over the place between 20 and 30.

The game also takes about 3 minutes to load to the main menu, and then another 2-3 to start a save.

It also crashes when you try to exit to windows. You need to ctrl-alt-del to get back to desktop.

Seems like an extremely bad port so far.

As a point of reference, this rig can run pretty much anything at 1080p 60fps with high settings. The only thing that chokes it is using msaa, txaa is fine.

dcassell

Banned
Ok played for about 2 hours just now.

This is on a win7 box with 12 gigs ran and a 660ti.

In short, it's pretty bad. It is limited to 30fps, and it jumps all over the place between 10 and 30 fps.

My initial settings were running at 1080p with fxaa antialiasing, medium shadows, motion blur, subsurface scattering and dof off. Everything else on high.

I dropped it down to "720p rendering", and it made things slightly better. But only a few frames. It was still jumping around everywhere.

I think the biggest culprit is streaming. My drive is constantly crunching the entire time I'm playing (7200 non SDD). It maintains 30fps when standing still, but running forward and especially turning makes it crunch all over the place between 20 and 30.

The game also takes about 3 minutes to load to the main menu, and then another 2-3 to start a save.

It also crashes when you try to exit to windows. You need to ctrl-alt-del to get back to desktop.

Seems like an extremely bad port so far.

As a point of reference, this rig can run pretty much anything at 1080p 60fps with high settings. The only thing that chokes it is using msaa, txaa is fine.

What kind of processor are you using? This sounds like what I dealt with in every game that used streaming before I got rid of my FM2 AMD board. The stuttering and load issues, I mean.

Played and beat this game on the X1 and loved it. Never got the DLC though. Wondering if its worth it to pick up the game again on my PC for the high resolution and frame rate considering Destiny will be out on Tuesday. Decisions decisions... :/

I've done it around ten times over the years and have never run into an issue or gotten into trouble. What valve will ban you for is using a VPN to access another region's prices. Ie, if I use a Russian vpn and go buy games.

For whatever reason DR3 wouldn't unlock for me with a VPN, no one else seems to be having issues though.
Do you have steam running on another system?

Do you have steam running on another system?

It didn't like my ethernet to router set up, plugged right into the wall and it's working now. Makes sense but I was almost sure I'd set up a VPN through the router before but oh well. With Dead Rising 3 do you need to go offline after starting or can you disconnect from the VPN and leave it running?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What kind of processor are you using? This sounds like what I dealt with in every game that used streaming before I got rid of my FM2 AMD board. The stuttering and load issues, I mean.

I have a i5 3.2 ghz

Also, I don't get streaming stuttering in any other games on this computer.

The only things that run badly are Arma3 and the DayZ standalone. But those run terrible on everything.

Seyavesh

will confirm that performance is sketchy if you're on a mediocre rig- the game's running in the teens of FPS for me at 720p using low shadows and minimum LOD rendering and i've got a pretty entry level computer

specs:
i3 3.3ghz
8gb ddr3
nvidia gtx650

for DR modheads like me i will also confirm that gibbed's tools work on the files and that model formatting is roughly the same

however! there's something strange with the formatting of game property files because they're in .bin files which don't seem to be extractable or plaintext

Corpekata

Banned
The story sequences are the only real issue for me. Strangely dips down pretty low at times. Gameplay itself is fine. Mostly 60 with 1080p on a 770, everything else high but shadows. Hits around 50ish in more crowded areas though, so may tweak some settings see if I can't get a more reliable 60.

What am I missing with the framerate unlock? Created the file mentioned above and changed the resolution but it still seems to be locked at 30.

will confirm that performance is sketchy if you're on a mediocre rig- the game's running in the teens of FPS for me at 720p using low shadows and minimum LOD rendering and i've got a pretty entry level computer

specs:
i3 3.3ghz
8gb ddr3
nvidia gtx650

for DR modheads like me i will also confirm that gibbed's tools work on the files and that model formatting is roughly the same

however! there's something strange with the formatting of game property files because they're in .bin files which don't seem to be extractable or plaintext

Sounds like my 2500k and 7850 should run this game at least at a solid 30 fps.

Corpekata

Banned
ibbCwizXWJwwFY.PNG

What did I do wrong? There's still a lock.

Game also doesn't support 16:10 :/

Did you change the name to user.ini from the folder or in the document? If you Save As user.ini in notepad, it should change the file format from Text Document like it is now to a configuration file. It should just read User.

Did you change the name to user.ini from the folder or in the document? If you Save As user.ini in notepad, it should change the file format from Text Document like it is now to a configuration file. It should just read User.

It's just not my night, thanks! Hopefully there will be a 16:10 fix soon.

Performance is mixed so far. Stays 60 FPS most of the time but still drops to 50-55 in huge crowds(ie the second crowd in the prologue)

Cutscenes drop all the way down to 35. This is at max settings with a 780Ti and i53570K

Do have vsync on though.

Edit: Alright, driving into the crowd after opening the barricade drops to 45-55 FPS. Very inconsistent. Will have to drop something down as the crowds only get larger from here on out. Need to hurry up and get a gsync monitor.

Also worth noting is the game is working my GPU hard. Up to 75 degrees which most games don't get to.

Renekton

I played for a little bit and it looks really nice and smooth in motion but I haven't experimented with uncapped yet, so I assume problems will come with that going by others impressions. Here's some screens I took

This is at all High settings 1080p 30fps.

Specs:

i5 4670k
GTX 770 4gb
Damn it looks really good.

So much for waiting for Steam sales >.<

Top Bottom