• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 Review Thread

shandy706

Um.....aren't people supposed to be HAPPY that this game is getting good reviews?

I think all the people that have paid it off or that plan on getting it down the road (sooner or later) are very happy.

Reading through all the reviews...this part of Destructoid's review caught my attention. He really liked it it seems.

Out of all the launch titles I've played on both new consoles, Dead Rising 3 is my personal favorite, bar none.

Nah, it is impossible to have fun with a game unless it is in1080p and running at 60FPS.

It sure feels like it sometimes these days right? Hell even Knack and Killzone dip throughout there campaigns? Did I let that bother me... Umm... NO. Dead Rising 3 looks excellent and like one hell of a time.

haikira

Not surprising. Since DR is quite a solid franchise and this game was in development for a long time I expected it to be one of the better games in an otherwise boring launch line-up.

I think maybe people are upset that some of the reviews seem to have be performed under questionable circumstances. Some with the day one patch, some without and if I'm not mistaken, coop doesn't seem to have been a factor in most reviews, if any.

Secondly. If it's not all 9s and above, most people tune out. It's sad, but the scoring system for games is messed up these days.

Thirdly, of course as already mentioned, plenty of people are still down on the X1 I guess.

haikira

Funnily enough, watching all the gameplay and reading reviews for DR3, has pushed me to list a whole load of random stuff on ebay, with the hope I can afford both consoles this year. It's a long shot, but hopefully I can do it. =D

Hugstable

Banned
Nice to see this game is getting pretty good scores. Will be fun to play this when I'm able to get the X1 sometime next year. Dead Rising 1 and Forza 2 were what pushed me to get a 360 back in the day too.

No surprises here, with Capcom creating the same problems in this game that it has been in Resident Evil.

Still, it looks really enjoyable despite those issues. Will probably be my first pick out of the bargain bin when I pick up the Xbox One, that is if I get the system that far down the line.

I need an xbone, but after dr3 and ki I can't really say I care about anything on it that is exclusive :( just gonna wait for a price drop.

ironcreed

Banned
If that's the case, everyone on this site would have migrated to PC a long time ago. :p

In all seriousness, I guess I am just used to it being a console gamer. I see a game like DR3 first for what it is... a good time. Of course we all want a nice resolution and the best framerate possible going into a new generation, but are those the determining factors for me when I am looking into buying a game? Absolutely not.

The bottom line is that I know the system will be capable of even more going forward and the games will no doubt be a nice leap over what can be done on the 360. I mean damn, just look at Ryse and it's at 900p. That game will melt your face. The Xbox One will be more than fine.

In all seriousness, I guess I am just used to it being a console gamer. I see a game like DR3 first for what it is... a good time. Of course we all want a nice resolution and the best framerate possible going into a new generation, but are those the determining factors for me when I am looking into buying a game? Absolutely not.

The bottom line is that I know the system will be capable of even more going forward and the games will no doubt be a nice leap over what can be done on the 360. I mean damn, just look at Ryse and it's at 900p. That game will melt your face. The Xbox One will be more than fine.

Facemelt.gif

MYeager

Dead Rising is still more impressive. not saying state of decay is bad or anything. I thought it was good. but theres no question about DR's scale being superior

My issue was with the 'first truly impressive game to truly capture the sense of scale of a zombie outbreak'. I consider the map size and number of building interiors of SoD to be truly impressive which is why I disagree with that statement, not that DR3 is in any way less impressive in scale.

The rev3 review is pretty rough. Tara's one of the few reviewers I actually trust too

Yeah, I trust Tara a lot more than many other reviewers as well. She said it was fun for what it was thought and I think people interested in this game pretty much know what they are getting into.

Portugeezer

Just watched Rev3's, was a great review. I have to say I am impressed by Rev3's next gen reviews, yes even Adam Sessler's.

Although I don't understand how she can say the game has "minimal framerate issues" (due to how many zombies are on screen). I watched various videos and the game regularly runs more in the 20's than at 30fps, with dips to 10 - 15... this is 720p next gen, let's be fucking real. These standards are low Tara, even for last gen if not for how many zombies are on screen, but for next gen? Come on...

I always thought people begging for 60fps was too much, but is wanting a consistent 30fps too much? Especially at 720p?

Make a game with 5000 zombies, 5fps, minimal issues due to the number of zombies...

My issue was with the 'first truly impressive game to truly capture the sense of scale of a zombie outbreak'. I consider the map size and number of building interiors of SoD to be truly impressive which is why I disagree with that statement, not that DR3 is in any way less impressive in scale.

Absolutely. Even though I love what I've seen and played of DR3, it simply doesn't hold a candle to the sheer scale of SoD. SoD set the benchmark for all open world post apocalyptic zombie games and this doesn't come close...In fact, I doubt SoD will be bettered any time soon.

DayZ seems a good contender though.

Timu

This quote form IGN interests me:

"Instead, it’s big on quantity. I have never seen this many zombies on screen at once in any game. Up close, there are enough distinct character models that I didn’t really feel like I was killing the same one 27,000 times, and I love the many ways in which they fall apart. You can chop them in half (horizontally or vertically!) blow off limbs and heads, and even take out chunks of torso. They put on quite a show."

Although I don't understand how she can say the game has "minimal framerate issues" (due to how many zombies are on screen). I watched various videos and the game regularly runs more in the 20's than at 30fps, with dips to 10 - 15.....

These videos are of the final retail version? Cause most reviews seem to be chiming in that the retail release seems steady at 30 with very minimal issues. If your refering to all the older videos... then yeah of course you saw dips. Work in progress my friend.

Krammy

I'm happy (and a bit surprised) that this is getting good reviews across the board. Not even a week ago, it seemed to be plagued with framerate issues. The reviews don't seem to mention those, so hopefully what was shown previously was an old build or something!

Either way, I won't be able to enjoy this one since I'm not getting an Xbone, but it's good to see that it's actually living up to the Dead Rising franchise (as opposed to the brown, zombie killing simulator from the reveal). If I'm lucky, Capcom will release a GOTY style version across both platforms, heh.

Portugeezer

These videos are of the final retail version? Cause most reviews seem to be chiming in that the retail release seems steady at 30 with very minimal issues. If your refering to all the older videos... then yeah of course you saw dips. Work in progress my friend.

I'm not sure to be honest, was from like a week ago, not old at all.

But to be fair, we were told it was smooth or 30fps locked before videos showing 10 - 20fps showed up. Anyway, it's out soon so we will know what is true or not.

cool_dude

Banned
Hopefully the text messaging/voice calls and second screen stuff is cool.

Would be fun to have my gf or cousins as co-pilot as I progress in the game.

Port beging in a exclusive (read, "FUNDED") title? Yeah, this thread delivers.

It's not about which console the game is on, I don't even have plans to buy a next-gen console yet. If you asked me to choose now I'd be hard pressed, since to me XB1 has a more appealing games line-up, online community, user interface and controller... versus a bit more horsepower from PS4.

No, it's about hoping that a less rushed version of Dead Rising 3 will exist. I love that series but the technical sloppiness of every sequel that followed the original has been disheartening.

ironcreed

Banned
This quote form IGN interests me:

"Instead, it’s big on quantity. I have never seen this many zombies on screen at once in any game. Up close, there are enough distinct character models that I didn’t really feel like I was killing the same one 27,000 times, and I love the many ways in which they fall apart. You can chop them in half (horizontally or vertically!) blow off limbs and heads, and even take out chunks of torso. They put on quite a show."

One of those games where it's all in the fine little details.

Played the shit out of DR1&DR2 + Case Zero & West. It's one of my favorite series and the only next gen game thus far that I'm remotely interested in. That said, $600 after taxes just to play this is a little hard to swallow and a PC port could be announced even before I save up that much.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm happy (and a bit surprised) that this is getting good reviews across the board. Not even a week ago, it seemed to be plagued with framerate issues. The reviews don't seem to mention those, so hopefully what was shown previously was an old build or something!

The reviews that I saw/red mentioned them, IGN for instance. I guess that the reviewers just didn't care too much about that.

John Funk

Neo Member
Ok, this is the last post I'm going to make about this, at least in this thread. Microsoft gave Polygon $750,000 for them to make a documentary about themselves. That is a fact. Essentially they gave them 3/4 of a Million dollars, to start up their company (by funding the documentary) and get the name out there. That is no small sum of money and no small favour. It is a gigantic sum of money, and a very unusual proposition, and it cannot be overlooked if we're discussing the credibility of Polygon and it's initial creation.

Assuming that this is, in fact, a fact - from Forbes' article on the launch of Polygon last year:

Polygon launches out of the box with backers in Geico, Sony, and Unilever.

Food for thought.

Assuming that this is, in fact, a fact - from Forbes' article on the launch of Polygon last year:

Food for thought.

Polygon launches out of the box with backers in Geico, Sony, and Unilever. They hope to attract more of those kind of sponsors going forward, but Grant knows that they have to earn it by producing the quality of experience of which he was initially skeptical.

Interesting. I wonder how much money, if any, Sony fronted them to launch the site...

Curufinwe

Oh dear, how will people claim Polygon bias now?

In the past week they have claimed that:

The PS4 will drop in price soon.

Only MS is announcing new IPs.

And that the PS4 has no 2014 exclusives worth mentioning outside of Infamous. Drive Club, MLB The Show and The Order 1886 are conveniently forgotten.

Just as problematic, Sony's currently announced slate of platform exclusives is thin — shy of Infamous: Second Son, there's little to carry the PS4 through the spring and summer of 2014. This is a notoriously precarious period for new consoles, as demonstrated by the software struggles of both the PlayStation Vita and the Wii U in the year following their release, and we're not sure what bridges Sony intends to build between release and holiday 2014.

snack

I'm buying a PS4 when it's out here in the UK and I think Dead Rising 3 looks awesome. Really wish I could afford both consoles.

I'm getting a PS4 as well, but Dear Rising 3 looks sweet! I never played the older ones but it looks like Dynasty Warriors with Zombies and I absolutely loved Dynasty Warriors!

How is the mp for this game? Is it co-op/competitive?

JimiNutz

Banned
Pleasantly surprised, I was expecting slightly lower scores.
Sounds like a solid launch game. Might be worth picking up in a few weeks once you're done with Forza and Killer Instinct.

Marleyman

Banned
And that the PS4 has no 2014 exclusives worth mentioning outside of Infamous. Drive Club, MLB The Show and The Order 1886 are conveniently forgotten.

They didn't say that; cmon. It is even in your quote..through the spring and summer

Drive Club is a launch game that was pushed back, The Show is a annual franchise and The Order has no release date.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Pleasantly surprised, I was expecting slightly lower scores.
Sounds like a solid launch game. Might be worth picking up in a few weeks once you're done with Forza and Killer Instinct.

The game was custom tailored for reviewers.
The easy, non offensive, no worry, no frills gameplay was guaranteed to get high 7 & low 8 scores from the majority of sites.

Top Bottom