• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 cost $60 million to make, sold 4 million copies, underperformed

This echos what I've been talking about recently in regards to the importance of digital revenue from both game sales as well as (maybe more importantly) Microtransactions and things like loot boxes.

You can read major publishers financial reports and subtract digital revenue. And what you see is a very clear picture. Either these companies aren't profitable without them or the amount they come ahead is extremely slim.

Full priced packaged games at $60 is not enough money to cover modern development costs. It's why you see them so heavily implemented. It's increasingly difficult for a non "Live" game to be profitable any more, as you can see for example with Dead Space 2.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There’s no reason why a game like Dead Space couldn’t still succeed on a AA scale

It’d be different but that doesn’t mean it would be bad or worse
AA in this day and age would be more expensive than it was last gen. As no way they wouldn't be making this on frostbite.

Damn, this is insane. Would any of this have to do with last gen machine configurations?

The PS3 was a development hell and the 360 was easy to deal with so wouldn't those vastly different platform contribute to this balloon irregardless of marketing?

If it is this is mostly due to marketing, that's extreme. There needs to be another way of communicating or getting people engaged

JdFoX187

Banned
So many gamers demand the best graphics, the best animations, the most immersive worlds and that shit costs money. Something is going to have to give at some point. I've noticed a resurgence -- or a rekindling, so to speak -- of the AA market this generation. I wonder if that will help alleviate some of the issues. Doubtful, though.

I do have to wonder, though, why EA never did jump on board the remaster bandwagon. I can't imagine it would have been too much of an investment to package the Dead Space trilogy, along with Mass Effect and some others, and ship them out earlier this generation. It seems to have helped other publishers, but I remember they were dead set against it from the beginning.

diablogod

This is crazy to me. AAA devs will very soon need to change how they make games... or I guess just make every game GaaS ><

Off topic I played Dead Space 1 and 2 for the first time this year.

I think Dead Space 1 is a vastly superior game. Atmosphere, sound design and just general vibes... way better. I still think Dead Space 2 was great, just not a masterpiece like the first one for me.

nynt9

Damn, this is insane. Would any of this have to do with last gen machine configurations?

The PS3 was a development hell and the 360 was easy to deal with so wouldn't those vastly different platform contribute to this balloon irregardless of marketing?

If it is this is mostly due to marketing, that's extreme. There needs to be another way of communicating or getting people engaged

If anything, marketing is more expensive now. You need to really pay on Facebook to get noticed, similarly with other social media. And people consume a more diverse array of social media this gen then last, so you need to cover your bases everywhere. You need to do sponsorships with streamers, etc.

zero dawn is at around 45 million

The math is different with first party games because they can use tools directly from the manufacturer, only target a single platform, and co-market with the platform.

snap

Banned
Can we stop with the 60$ bullshit, no complete games cost 60$ now, 4m for a multiplats game is just disappointing, that's it.

games are sold for $60. the DLC and all that jazz that cost extra? those require dev time too. even the MT's and stuff that are relatively cheap only exist because they can't push above $60 for a game. if we had moved to an $80 price point this gen instead of "deluxe editions" that bundle in the season pass and a bunch of other stuff for that price or higher, AAA wouldn't be such a disaster.

Uh, not everyone buys at $60. Many wait for sales.

This costing $60 million though, what the fuck EA? Definite project mismanagement. Paying to slap on MP was stupid too.

Then another $60 million to market?

Yes, AAA is expensive, but you killed this one yourselves.

Oh, ok, EA, fire all of those middle-management people and the accountants whose entire job is to minimize budgets, this guy on the internet is convinced that they're doing a bad job despite knowing nothing about how much money games cost to make.

BTW, for movies a good rule of thumb to make money back is 2.5x the production budget, to cover for marketing and distribution costs, and most blockbusters have $100M+ production budgets these days. The recent Blade Runner movie cost $150M to market in the US alone. So $60M to market a AAA marquee game doesn't sound too out of the ordinary.

Ridley327

Is there any such thing as 'the average Nintendo game'? Games like Arms and Splatoon will be peanuts, but Zelda and Odyssey on the other hand quite the opposite.

FWIW, they mentioned at E3 last year that BotW only needed to sell 2 million copies to be profitable, and that was with the largest staff that's ever worked on a Nintendo game. Nintendo knows how to balance the budget, to say the very least.

Crossing Eden

This is crazy to me. AAA devs will very soon need to change how they make games... or I guess just make every game GaaS ><

Off topic I played Dead Space 1 and 2 for the first time this year.

I think Dead Space 1 is a vastly superior game. Atmosphere, sound design and just general vibes... way better. I still think Dead Space 2 was great, just not a masterpiece like the first one for me.
There's no way to magically cheapen the cost of higher quality assets within the scope of games these days.

Xbro

RE6 had more than 600 people working on it. Those salaries add up fast when you're dealing with such a massive amount of staff.

I thought I heard somewhere that BotW was the first Nintendo game to have 100+ people working on it. Could be wrong though.

Instro

Yeah I'm a little confused as to whether the tweets are saying the entire budget was $60m or 60+60. The latter would make more sense as to why the game wasn't a profit maker.

Regarding the whole micro transaction & lootbox discussion, I think people would be more accepting of financial realities if publishers were a little more up front about what their budgets are for AAA games.

Sadist

This really makes you think about the idea of "race to the bottom" with indie prices. It's almost the same with most modern AAA games outside of Nintendo stuff. The $60 dollar price isn't so bad with the larger audience now but when you slash your prices 40-60% in the first several months you need to sell millions more copies. Not to mention how many people wait for sales before buying in now after feeling burned by huge discounts so soon after launch.
Mostly this. Apart from the usual suspects (think FIFA, CoD, Nintendo stuff) you can always predict which games will be on sale in the next few months. As sad as it sounds, but Dead Space 2 was such an obvious contender; the original wasn't a hit, the second game was hoping for a better reception, but looking into sales charts and the like showed me why I should wait.

The same will happen with the Evil Within 2 for example. While its beeing sent out to die (and I don't believe it has a sixty milion dollar budget), you just know it would be a mistake to buy if fullprice.

AAA third party games ignored the best selling console and all made similat games for an uber saturated market.

Everyone wanted to be cod or gta
Well Dead Space 2 was in development for Wii...

boiled goose

good with gravy
AAA third party games ignored the best selling console and all made similat games for an uber saturated market.

Audioboxer

You're comparing two totally different games with different cities and different development plans. I'm not privry for the final cost of evil within 2 , I'm sure it's the same as every other average aaa game

Best solution would be for ea to close all north american studios and move to cheaper cost of living countries if we don't want microtransactions at this point

Maybe so, but who at EA thought a horror game was going to smash a $120m+ budget? That's project mismanagement at the highest level to have thought that would be the case. Even Alan Wake didn't hit 4 million sales.

From this page about 1.5m and the PC copy made a profit http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-20-alan-wake-pc-makes-money-back-in-48-hours

We need to start building up game studios in Kansas and Detroit.

As consumers we got a wide variety of quality games. Given the chance, I'd gladly ask them to do it again. Or are we going to pretend that great TV shows and movies don't go unappreciated as well?

Timeaisis

Yeah, but we know that Uncharted 1 and 2 combined cost 40m. So how the fuck did DS2 cost 60m? Games are obviously expensive, but i'm confused as to how they got the budget to DS2 up that high.

Cost of keeping people on salary, marketing, etc. ND is not a good comparison because they crunch like hell. Not saying Visceral didn't, but still. Apples to oranges.

60 U.S. dollars * 4 million =
240 million U.S. dollars

it only cost 60 mil

I don't get it .

60m for production, 60 for marketing. 120M to break even

$60 * 4M copies = 240M - 30% that goes to the middle man is 168M.

So in the perfect dream world where all 4M sold at $60. They only made a profit of 48M.

That aint enough. Especially when any cutbacks are met with a torrent of "downgrade total" and minor upgrades gets you a "Dead Space 2.5" label.

Axass

This is why loot boxes exist, fans are price sensitive they don't want dlc, don't want to raise above 60. Something has to give

Sure. Just make games with smaller scope until, with technology advancements, you can efficiently fund bigger games.

Publishers these days are just constantly trying to one up themselves, with bigger (empty) worlds, more "content", flashier graphics (that go stale after a few years because the art is weak), and pervasive online infrastructures (that close off access to parts of the games when servers inevitably go down).

That, oft meanigless, fluff needs hundreds if not thousands of (paid) employees to produce, market and ship. No wonder they're risk averse, have unreasonable sales expectations, they kill off studios after one faux pas and they keep adding stupid, costly crap in full priced games.

The best part is that they've cornered themselves during the years, by feeding the gamers' mentality with the constant need of better graphics and bigger worlds in order to sell their games. They've done this to themselves and now they wonder why 4 million copies isn't enough. Meanwhile Nintendo, indies and level-headed mid-tier developers are quietly making their profit.

The consumer blaming, especially by consumer themselves, is revolting given the circumstances.

Tapejara

I'm actually curious how much of an impact the multiplayer mode in Dead Space 2 had on the budget. I don't mean this to imply "EA drove the budget up by forcing multiplayer!", but I wonder if it actually had an overall positive or negative impact on revenue. For those that don't remember, Dead Space 2 had a small multiplayer mode that consisted of humans vs. necromorphs, and was largely unremarkable. While it's possible it could have a significant impact on the budget, it was also a very small part of the game and likely benefited from reusing assets from the singleplayer. There was only one DLC pack, but it was given away for free.There was also an online pass meant to prevent lost revenue due to used sales, but because the multiplayer didn't seem all that popular I can't imagine people were running out to buy it. That said, the multiplayer would still need to be tested with development resources allocated to it, and perhaps server costs would need to be factored in as well (assuming the game wasn't P2P, once again it's been awhile).

Edit: I see this was discussed while I was writing my post.

Two years of hundreds of people at San Francisco Bay Area salaries and benefits plus all the outsourcing needed to support it.

Not many AAA studios left in the Bay Area these days you'll notice. Crystal Dynamics outsources half their game development to Montreal as one of the few remaining ones.

I still ask myself how Double Fine survives being based of in the Bay Area.

They have their fanbase but they're yet to find a big success. Hope their niche is enough to keep them afloat.

Instro

FWIW, they mentioned at E3 last year that BotW only needed to sell 2 million copies to be profitable, and that was with the largest staff that's ever worked on a Nintendo game. Nintendo knows how to balance the budget, to say the very least.

I think part of that has to do with them getting more per copy on a game, and being able to bundle their software marketing costs into the hardware marketing. Doesn't hurt that they don't splurge for a lot of VA and similar expenses as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Or maybe the ungodly fees and cuts that platform holders and retail wield is maybe out of control.

In a sense asking AAA devs to change their strategy is kind of like victim-blaming.

Aters

Looks like it's not just making the game that's causing the issues. It's marketing it.

It's like some sort of weird closed data curve. "We need to market it to sell more. But we need it to sell more to make up for the marketing. So we need to market it to sell more."

Bethesda found the secret and stopped marketing their games. Guess what? Those games bombed.

Crossing Eden

Sure. Just make games with smaller scope until, with technology advancements, you can efficiently fund bigger games.

Publishers these days are just constantly trying to one up themselves, with bigger (empty) worlds, more "content", flashier graphics (that go stale after a few years because the art is weak), and pervasive online infrastructures (that close off access to parts of the games when servers inevitably go down).

That, oft meanigless, fluff needs hundreds if not thousands of (paid) employees to produce, market and ship. No wonder they're risk averse, have unreasonable sales expectations, they kill off studios after one faux pas and they keep adding stupid, costly crap in full price games.

The best part is that they've cornered themselves during the years, by feeding the gamers' mentality with the constant need of better graphics and bigger worlds in order to sell their games. They've done this to themselves and now they wonder why 4 million copies isn't enough. Meanwhile Nintendo, indies and level-headed mid-tier developers are quietly making their profit.

The consumer blaming, especially by consumer themselves, is revolting given the circumstances.
Devs already ARE using technology advancements which make the process "easier," doesn't mean that the cost of all those assets magically decreases. And no, decreasing scope is not that easy. People keep spouting hypotheticals without considering the realities of game development.

Kinyou

Wonder how much of an effect the pointless multiplayer had on the budget

That marketing is usually as expensive as the game/movie itself is so crazy to me.

So you want a AA game instead of triple a , gotcha.

Yes sir.

Have you ever expected a game to have better graphics? More content? More polish? Better writing? If so, you should. Games cost money to make, and the more effort gets put into them, the more they cost. Even something simple like shovel knight would cost less if it had worse artwork and music. But they paid for the talent and it paid off.

And this is all with the exploitation of developers who work 80-100 workweeks. If we want them to be treated fairly, games would cost even more.

I'd give up better graphics in a heart beat if it would result in smaller budgets. Hell, I'd given up more if the industry actually became less explorative and didn't have a balooning budget problem.

As it stands, I have sympathy for the devs and little to no sympathy for publishers. Given the way gaming is heading, I don't particularly care if the AAA industry dies out.

That, oft meanigless, fluff needs hundreds if not thousands of (paid) employees to produce, market and ship. No wonder they're risk averse, have unreasonable sales expectations, they kill off studios after one faux pas and they keep adding stupid, costly crap in full priced games.

Publisher go by what sells, as of right now games as a service is selling. EA can't afford to have a bunch of midtier titles hoping to keep investors happy with small profits. Comparing a 3rd party developer who's single source of income is games to Nintendo is disingenuous

No offense to the team, but why we're they allowed to make a third Dead Space then?

I only played the original Dead Space so don't know, did Dead Space 3 re-use a lot of assets from DS2? It would have been cheaper to make in that case and as a sequel to a game that sold ~2m copies in it's first month might have made sense.

Ridley327

I think part of that has to do with them getting more per copy on a game, and being able to bundle their software marketing costs into the hardware marketing. Doesn't hurt that they don't splurge for a lot of VA and similar expenses as well.

All true, but think of how many studios have folded when selling twice that number wasn't enough. It's really does highlight just how crazy spending gets on AAA titles.

AndrewRyan

Didn't play until a year after its release because don't normally play horror games but heard how great Dead Space 2 was in terms of atmosphere. Ended up loving every minute of it.

Didn't buy DS3 because the the reviews explained what they had done to it and generally don't buy games from EA.

Ahasverus

Noone ever asked for a 50+ million survival horror.

This fucking industry needs to keep those budgets under control. 60M for a non multiplayer shooter is insane money. Insane.

Strike

I wonder how much of that budget went into the multiplayer portion of the game. Then they expected DS3 to sell 5 million. One bomb was all it look for so many studios to go under last gen. This current business model just isn't sustainable long term.

Noone ever asked for a 50+ million survival horror.

This fucking industry needs to keep those budgets under control. 60M for a non multiplayer shooter is insane money. Insane.

Dead Space 2 also had MP, which certainly contributed to its high budget.

I'm honestly not sure why EA thought the audience wanted a MP component.

Top Bottom