• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Game Informer Details [Use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Next time a spitter shows up, I'm not gonna be scared.

Ima hit dat cover button, bro bump my co-op partner then pop out of cover and noscope that bitch. And when it hits it'll probably zoom in on her head exploding and be all BSKSKSKSSKSKSKSK slow motion

Glass Rebel

This is great:

ImLimbo said:
No competitive multiplayer in DS3

I'm okay with this:

Co-op confirmed
Co-Op will add new cutscenes and interactions between isaac and carver,"if you play single player you'll hear everything you need to hear to get the whole story."

This sounds terrible:

ImLimbo said:
Now has universal ammo pickups
Cover system added
Unitologists pose a threat now,the screens look like they're shooting at isaac while hes taking cover

I'm reserving judgement since it's Visceral but I'm not exactly thrilled about Dead Shootbang...

KorrZ

Why the fuck does every game need a cover system nowadays?

Frustrated.

So you can shoot and be shot at by dudes with guns!!! Who wants to fight interesting enemies when you can just shoot dudes in the head instead?

Yeah, I'm really not happy right now.

Kinyou

I have to see the cover system in motion to make my judgement but this:
Now has universal ammo pickups
really seems like a gamebreaker to me. Dead Space has always, ALWAYS, been about saving ammo, switching weapons etc. when you take that out....

This also sounds weird:
Co-Op will add new cutscenes and interactions between isaac and carver,"if you play single player you'll hear everything you need to hear to get the whole story."
You know when they have to emphasize that I will still get the story in the SP, I sort of have the feeling that I miss the "real" DS3 experience unless I play coop.

Salsa

gBGOY.gif

C'mon son. What more proof do we need to easily deduct where they're taking this franchise?

Being pissed about this from a game that was based around saving up ammo and being exposed is damn understandable.

Darklord

Banned
Sounds like they turned it into a full blown shooter. Let me guess, you don't have to shoot limbs off now either? :\

yencid

Yeah, I'm going to completely pass on Dead Space 3 until I see gameplay footage.
Unitologists aren't violent and would claim not to pose a threat, they would just be manipulative and crazy. CSC soldiers that are hired would be the ones to shoot at Isaac.

And adding a cover system when the game (at least DS1) was perfect without one.

they got pretty damn violent in the comic book.

pargonta

cover doesn't have to mean chest high walls.. let's not assume all video games need to be the same. but it is disheartening.

but seriously, no scarcity of ammo and not even vertical/horizontal plasma cutter... what even is this game if you're changing the gameplay flow so much.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Everything sounds awesome except for cover-based shooting.

Salsa

Gameplay footage, trailer, more information from the Devs, a demo, previews, all of that would be nice before I declare a game to be shit generally.

Im jaded enough by this thing happening all the time that I think I gained my right to predict as much from the info that's been coming out since the game's basically been announced. Im judging what we have so far and its not good, not good at all, and its an indication that this is game is going to be really, really different to what Dead Space has been so far. That, for me, is shit, considering what this series is and could be.

I'll await a trailer to confirm my fears.

Majmun

It took Resident Evil three generations to change into a co-op game.

Dead Space does that in one.

Congrats, I guess. I'm out of here.

Alebrije

You hope all you want, im waiting for the reveal of the NEW AND IMPROVED FASTER SPRINT BUTTON

Cover system, universal ammo and co-op means this is not even close to a "horror" game anymore man. Cover system means you are no longer exposed, universal ammo means you wont run out of it, and co-op means you wont get any desolation feeling and you'll be cracking up with your buddy the whole way.

This is shit.

They can save a bit of face if they pull it off in a different way to pretty much every game so far, but im not hopeful.

obama%2Bdecepcionado.JPG

Ros8105

Next time a spitter shows up, I'm not gonna be scared.

Ima hit dat cover button, bro bump my co-op partner then pop out of cover and noscope that bitch. And when it hits it'll probably zoom in on her head exploding and be all BSKSKSKSSKSKSKSK slow motion

EjMae.gif

Maffis

Co-op, cover system, enemies using weapons, universal ammo...

It's like they don't want the game to be classified as horror anymore.

The universal ammo and cover implementation has me worried, just like most other people in this thread. I liked the survival horror aspects of Dead Space. I'm not against another third-person shooter but that's not why I loved the original.

However, it'll be interesting to see what kind of cover-based mechanics they introduce. If they make cover still have horror elements it could work pretty well. For example, if you hide behind a "wall" and then a necromorph bursts out of the wall and starts attacking you. Stuff like that would make the cover system more intriguing.

Plissken

Only thing that concerns me is universal ammo pickups, unless like someone said they are going to make ammo even more scarce. I'm a fan of co-op, so no problem there. Cover can be done without taking away from the core gameplay, Max Payne 3 added cover and it didn't ruin the game, I still ran/shootdodged through 90% of it.

No better way to further remove yourself from the atmosphere of DS1 than to add co-op, chest high walls and remove any fear of running out of ammo.

Fezan

Brosplosion 6 and Brospace 3 in the same year.

But this news doesnt shock me a single bit.Dead space 2 was already action game.Worse than Re5.
Sony your turn now just release siren3 including chainsaws and big bald space marine

Kinyou

The universal ammo and cover implementation has me worried, just like most other people in this thread. I liked the survival horror aspects of Dead Space. I'm not against another third-person shooter but that's not why I loved the original.

However, it'll be interesting to see what kind of cover-based mechanics they introduce. If they make cover still have horror elements it could work pretty well. For example, if you hide behind a "wall" and then a necromorph bursts out of the wall and starts attacking you. Stuff like that would make the cover system more intriguing.
Or having cover in Zero G, which basically means that Issac presses himself flat against the ceiling.

When they're creative enough could a cover system work. I just don't see the universal ammo adding anything to the game. It just takes away.

Majmun

Wrong. Resident Evil: Outbreak 1 and 2 were both PS2 Co-op games.

Dead Space Extraction could also count as co-op. I guess. But I was talking about the mainline games.

BTW, has the OP been juniored? Maybe I'm missing something...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Brosplosion 6 and Brospace 3 in the same year.

But this news doesnt shock me a single bit.Dead space 2 was already action game.Worse than Re5.
Sony your turn now just release siren3 including chainsaws and big bald space marine

I was interested in Amnesia, but it's not on consoles and I want a big ass magnum to pwn that monster with....

senador

Banned
I imagine the cover system won't be helpful when you're not fighting Unitologists.

Good point.

I just hope the game doesn't get bastardized by EA in an attempt to sell more games. Its OK for some games to not be huge movers IMO. <3 Dead Space.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Universal ammo? Cover system? Unitologists as enemies?

x3bgqq.gif

It was nice while it lasted (which was until Dead Space 2).

I just hope the game doesn't get bastardized by EA in an attempt to sell more games. Its OK for some games to not be huge movers IMO.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Truant

Cover system? Oh god.

We have Gears of Bros and Uncharted for the fratboy crowd. Why can't the survival horror stand on it's own legs?

Disappointed.

jokkir

The ammo thing is kinda worrying me.

Also, what if the cover was destructible? Would that make it any better?

Competitive multiplayer was a waste. Dropping that for coop was an excellent decision. And unitologists are a bunch of assholes so it's nice that I can now shoot them in the face.

Irish

Oh god, bad news got worse if true.

Honestly, that would be the only thing that would bug me because I have never used any other weapon in the Dead Space games (outside of the DS2 demos). Of course, unlike a lot of GAF folk, I actually enjoy things, so stuff doesn't bother me as much.

Truant

What bothers me most about this is that the gunfights will be some half-assed shit, like the first Mass Effect. Developers never get it right the first time when there's a big gameplay shift like this. Later parts of RE5 is a perfect example of why this doesn't work without huge compromises for fights against humans or creatures.

Kinyou

lol, he isn't banned anymore.

What bothers me most about this is that the gunfights will be some half-assed shit, like the first Mass Effect. Developers never get it right the first time when there's a big gameplay shift like this. Later parts of RE5 is a perfect example of why this doesn't work without huge compromises for fights against humans or creatures.
Very true. It annoys me when games want to become like Gears of War or Uncharted but fail half way through. Everyone would laugh at a Gears of War that had so little weapon variety like Mass Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom