• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Game Informer Details [Use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
what do they mean with universal ammo?

same ammo for all guns?

I'm not sure if they mean Invisible War style (one ammo bar shared between every gun) or Mass Effect 2 style (one ammo pickup refills all of your guns up to a set amount).

what do they mean with universal ammo?

same ammo for all guns?

Pretty much. Think invisible war. Some weapons use more ammo than others, but all weapons use ammo from the same ammo pool. Run out of for one weapon, all wepons run out of ammo.

Fuck. :-/.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Co-op and cover system don't bother me as long as you're still fighting mostly necromorphs and the co-op isn't intrusive, which it doesn't sound like it will be. Universal ammo really sucks though. Adding that takes out a ton of the tension.

Psi

Not really the same, since in ME lore all weapons use the same basic ammo. They retconned that in ME2 by adding reloading. Still the same ammo.

I mean it's probably the same kind of mechanic. Or maybe kind of like Alan Wake's American Nightmare ammo system.

I never played Invisible War so I didn't know about that kind of universal ammo

Raoh

Why do people hate cover systems so much?

As games get better and more like the actions and decisions a human would make, wouldn't taking cover be something that should actually make sense and you would want to do?

Leaning and going prone as well.

What kind of genius runs around standing up the whole time not taking cover in a shoot out?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean it's probably the same kind of mechanic. Or maybe kind of like Alan Wake's American Nightmare ammo system.

I never played Invisible War so I didn't know about that kind of universal ammo

Invisible War is pretty much the worst possible implementation of universal ammo ever, since it didn't store ammo as separate types in guns, but just had this ridiculous pool they shared.

Truant

Regarding the universal ammo, I'm betting the decision for that was based on how the previous games worked.

In DS1 and 2, enemies and containers dropped ammo for the weapons you were using the most. This eventually made it so you just used one or two weapons to make sure you had plenty of ammo for that weapon. My guess is that they want players to use all the tools avalable without suffering the consequences of having ammo drops being divided over the amount of weapons in the game.

It makes sense, but to me it just seems like they took the easy way out instead of actually balancing the system they already had.

KorrZ

As games get better and more like the actions and decisions a human would make, wouldn't taking cover be something that should actually make sense and you would want to do?

What kind of genius runs around standing up the whole time not taking cover in a shoot out?

I think the issue is more the inclusion of shoot outs in general.

Kinyou

In this particular case it's because Dead Space is a survival horror game. A cover system suggests lots of gun battles which doesn't fit into the survival horror theme.

Now has universal ammo pickups
Cover system added
Unitologists pose a threat now,the screens look like they're shooting at isaac while hes taking cover

Ugh.

Ugh.

Well there were 2 good games at least.

Irish

Well, you also have to remember that these same folks also forget that competent cooperative modes have existed in hundreds of games before Resident Evil 5 created a relatively mediocre way of doing it.

Deadbeat

Banned
When looking at the direction this franchise went, I cant wait to see what EA has done to Mirrors Edge 2. Anyone else excited?

dankir

I'm excited but the cover system has me worried. Hopefully all cover will be completely destructible otherwise you'll lose that sense of "Holy fuck I'm surrounded by necromorphs and this cover won't protect me"

I know that Visceral Games won't let this happen but I don't want Deadspace 3 to be Resident Evil 5.

Sadist

Cover system added

Unitologists pose a threat now,the screens look like they're shooting at isaac while hes taking cover

Co-Op will add new cutscenes and interactions between isaac and carver,"if you play single player you'll hear everything you need to hear to get the whole story."

Feeders are "what happens when a human isn't actually infected by a Swarm or by a Divider head,but by necessity ends up eating the flesh of a turned necro"
Cover system? Ugh.

Unitologists sounds cool, the co-op part lame and the feeders sound awesome.

YES YES YES. Ok, my hype has been cranked up. I was a little weary about this one, but the fact that there is NO competitive multiplayer and they are focusing solely on the SP and CO-OP makes me very happy.

The only thing that worries me now is the cover system.

I dont know if this has been confirmed but Dead Space 3 has a Feburary release date,no specific day though.

More Details:

•No competitive multiplayer in DS3
•Now has universal ammo pickups
•"Dead Space 3 will have zero gravity space sections,dark corridors,and all the other things that made the series what it is"
•New necromorphs called Fodder,feeders & something Visceral internally calls 'The snow beast' plus a huge 30 story tall centipede necro morph called the Nexus
•Feeders are "what happens when a human isn't actually infected by a Swarm or by a Divider head,but by necessity ends up eating the flesh of a turned necro"

•Icy Planet is called Tau Volantis,
•Fodder transform into two different necromorphs depending on how you kill them
•They want DS3 to be less linear than 2&1;be able to explore large environments and find "unique beta missions" that aren't required to complete the main game
I like these details I especially am interested in the last one. The others are Meh or will wait and see on.

I'm not sure why everyone's so shocked about some things since IGN was proven correct with their rumors a while ago.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
When looking at the direction this franchise went, I cant wait to see what EA has done to Mirrors Edge 2. Anyone else excited?

yes, I am.

Faith will become a dude
Heavy emphasis on gunplay with ironsights
Melee fighting is turned into QTE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
•They want DS3 to be less linear than 2&1;be able to explore large environments and find "unique beta missions" that aren't required to complete the main game

•You can slap different guns together like a Plasma cutter/Ripper combo,Visceral didn't say "how exactly these weapon mods work" but GI noticed enemies drop Scrap metal and 'tungsten' now.
These sound cool.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Most likely this will be a good co-op game which I will complete with my friend. I won't treat it like Dead Space though.

So either don't pick it up or sell it. It wasn't something that needed fixing.

It sucks when your plasma cutter ammo is almost over and you get ammo you can't use. Yeah, it needed fixing and since they showed they couldn't bothered to add ammo drop only for weapons you hold seems like an upgrade.

Large areas to explore sounds good.

Dascu

Some stuff sounds good, some stuff sounds bad.

Regardless of DS2 shying away from the horror and isolation aspect, and this game seemingly continuing that trend, it was still a pretty fun and atmospheric shooter and this will probably be too. So, good luck Visceral Games. Don't mess it up too much and I'll buy it.

Dave1988

What possible good thing could come out of universal ammo?

Way I see it is that ammo is going to be more scare than in previous titles as a trade off for it being universal. You can use every gun at your disposal but you have to be careful not to find yourself in a situation that you're out of ammo and there's none/little to be found. It would definitely add to the tension of fighting the Necromorphs.

I hate grabbing ammo in DS games for weapons I'm not using or don't plan to use.

This too.

Kinyou

Way I see it is that ammo is going to be more scare than in previous titles as a trade off for it being universal. You can use every gun at your disposal but you have to be careful not to find yourself in a situation that you're out of ammo and there's none/little to be found. It would definitely add to the tension of fighting the Necromorphs.
That's exactly what happened in DS1 and DS2. Only difference is that you had to use every gun at your disposal. Now you just upgrade that plasma cutter and never look back.

Eusis

Ohhh, more non-linear, that definitely seems to recognize part of why RE5's co-op was awful, not that RE4 was particularly non-linear but it had that "adventure" element that RE5 just straight up threw out.

And honestly stuff like throwing in a cover system bugs me more because of homogenizing gameplay design. I understand some things are simply damn useful to implant, but it seems to be getting especially sad how everyone's seemingly in lock step to copy one another for blockbuster games.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't consider dead space survival horror, it's more like a 3rd person shooter with horror elements. It's like considering RE4 survival horror...

both of those games don't have limited resources. You can buy ammo in dead space.

Irish

It sucks when your plasma cutter ammo is almost over and you get ammo you can't use. Yeah, it needed fixing and since they showed they couldn't bothered to add ammo drop only for weapons you hold seems like an upgrade.

Large areas to explore sounds good.

That's when you start using your kinesis (at least in DS2). Actually, I spent most of that game just cutting off limps and then impaling Necros with them.

Eusis

both of those games don't have limited resources. You can buy ammo in dead space.
And can you farm money?

What would definitely kill the horror aspect is recharging health, or at least full blown recharging health. If necromorphs can beat me up badly but I can find a place to hide and get better then it's definitely got no chance at staying scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom