• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

I finished the game last night. Overall I absolutely loved it and would even consider it one of the top ten games of this generation.

After I heard a lot of comments about it being 'so bad it's good', I thought that I was just going to be in it for a laugh. The reality is the complete opposite, as the game is in fact legitimately excellent despite the obvious, mostly budget-induced shortcomings. What you get with Deadly Premonition is a well told supernatural detective story that reels you in - it's a captivating experience that I had difficulty putting down, not because I enjoyed playing it, but because I wanted to find out what happens next. It's been a long time since I played something like this which wasn't on the Nintendo DS.

Most of my enjoyment stemmed from the superb characters. The residents of Greenvale are well fleshed out (even going as far as having a complete 24 hour routine and side quests), and every voice in the game was perfectly cast with brilliant delivery. York is one of the best new game characters of recent years because of his odd but relatable personality, strange investigative methods and unique judgement. There was also some stunningly good character development - you could actually see the main characters start to bond, how their pasts affected them, how the case affected them, and you ultimately cared deeply for how their story would end. It felt like watching a good movie and it was helped by a solid ending (the point at which similar games tend to fall to pieces - see Heavy Rain etc).

As far as gameplay went, it served its purpose - that is, it acted as appropriate interludes for advancing the plot and development of the setting. You gradually learned Greenvale's layout just by exploring, and there is never a shortage of shit to do (plus the rewards are often worth it). I thought the game was a lot more like an RPG than a horror game since it had a lot of role-playing elements like interacting with people, side quests, 'loot' and keeping an eye on stats such as hunger and tiredness. The game really goes out of its way to make you feel like you are living in Greenvale, which made it all the better a location. One example I loved was that the cars actually used petrol and needed refuelling at the gas station - just like real life. It was a really detailed and very well realised setting, even if the visuals can't quite live up to it.

The gunplay was janky, but it was serviceable enough - if you think of the game as an RPG, then it's probably a bit better than other games in the genre. It would have been a lot better with more enemy and dungeon variety, but it was okay for what it was. I think it is true that the game could have in fact gotten by without any action at all, becoming a Hotel Dusk-esque, purely investigative experience. But I did appreciated being able to shoot things with my unlimited ammo machine gun. Other mechanics such as driving also felt janky, with weird steering and a handbrake that was too powerful, but at the same time you felt sheltered inside your car and oddly relaxed (thanks to the awesome soundtrack).

I agree with Destructoid overall - warts and all, the game is really perfect as it is. You wouldn't want to change anything about it as it just comes together so well to create a thoroughly enjoyable experience. For a $20/£10 game easily lasting 25+ hours, it is also criminally good value and at times really shows the big boys how to do things.

9/10

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Sorry if this is wrong section for this question. (First post)

For anyone who has 100%'d Deadly Premonition:

For the multiple difficulty playthrough achivements, can you just choose each section and replay it on the difficulty you want or do you have to start a new game with that difficulty?

manzo

This game really is strange. During workdays, I think about the game a lot. That doesn't happen to me these days anymore - there really is something in this game that just feels so right.

Also, I'm in a constant urge to continue the game when I'm not playing it.

Pydte

Garcia Hotspur said:

For the multiple difficulty playthrough achivements, can you just choose each section and replay it on the difficulty you want or do you have to start a new game with that difficulty?
Unfortunately, the difficulty can only be changed upon starting a new game. Thus in order to get all of the difficulty achievements, you'll need to complete the game three times. Annoying!

Ledsen

Pydte said:
Unfortunately, the difficulty can only be changed upon starting a new game. Thus in order to get all of the difficulty achievements, you'll need to complete the game three times. Annoying!

When you pick chapters you can change the difficulty, I think this is what he's asking.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Pydte said:

Like the guy above said, you can choose to replay chapters and when you do it asks which difficulty you want to play on. I didn't know if I could just do that for every chapter or if I'd have to start a new game. (I don't want to lose all weapons, suits, cards, etc....)

Mollymauk

Garcia Hotspur said:

You can choose difficulty when replaying chapters, but I believe this cannot contribute to the difficulty achievements. They are determined by what you choose when you begin a new game.

At least I think so! I got 1000 cheeves, and I completed 3 full playthroughs. A 2nd time to enjoy the game again, and a 3rd speed run for the cheeve.

Fuck you guys

I just bought Portal 2 for 35 bucks and then I ventured into this thread. I saw DP for 16 bucks on Amazon and pulled the trigger. I have an epic backlog but I'll find a way to work this in. From what you guys have written, the game is clever and will get me laughing which is all I can ask.

50 bucks for Portal 2 and DP might be the best use of money in the history of mankind

I paid $55 for a copy of Deadly Premonition with very little English outside of dialogue and I thought it was worth it. $16 is a bargain for such a great game.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Mollymauk said:
You can choose difficulty when replaying chapters, but I believe this cannot contribute to the difficulty achievements. They are determined by what you choose when you begin a new game.

At least I think so! I got 1000 cheeves, and I completed 3 full playthroughs. A 2nd time to enjoy the game again, and a 3rd speed run for the cheeve.

Thanks for the answer.

manzo

I did a few sidequests and got some trading cards. Went to read the descriptions. The game just spoiled
the murders of Diane and Carol even though they are still alive.
I'm at chapter 9. God damn, how can they make these kinds of mistakes?

Other people just starting the game, DO NOT READ THE CARD DESCRIPTIONS. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE CARDS UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME.

:(

That was the only benefit of having Japanese text. I don't know why they put spoilers in the card descriptions. However, there are actually quite a few spoilers in the game that you probably don't realize.

Ledsen

I just finished this. I can't believe more people haven't been talking about this game. Probably my GOTY, and the best story and characters in a video game ever. Sadly most people obsess over graphics and AAA PRODUCTION VALUES to the point where they probably didn't play long enough to realize its genius.

manzo said:
I did a few sidequests and got some trading cards. Went to read the descriptions. The game just spoiled
the murders of Diane and Carol even though they are still alive.
I'm at chapter 9. God damn, how can they make these kinds of mistakes?

Other people just starting the game, DO NOT READ THE CARD DESCRIPTIONS. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE CARDS UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME.

:(

Actually Swery stated in an interview that the spoilers on the cards are intentional.

My biggest regret is not finishing this before I sold my 360 to pay bills when I was an out-of-work grad. But bet your ass I'm going to import this from Japan for PS3. Game is absolutely brilliant. Only thing that suck is paying $80 or more to import it...

MrDaravon

Ledsen said:
I just finished this. I can't believe more people haven't been talking about this game. Probably my GOTY, and the best story and characters in a video game ever. Sadly most people obsess over graphics and AAA PRODUCTION VALUES to the point where they probably didn't play long enough to realize its genius.

I love this game and 1000/1000'd it, but to be fair the actual gameplay is pretty garbage. That kinda matters if you want to have any sort of general appeal :p

Ledsen

SailorDaravon said:
I love this game and 1000/1000'd it, but to be fair the actual gameplay is pretty garbage. That kinda matters if you want to have any sort of general appeal :p

To be fair I had watched half a Let's Play before I bought the game, so I knew all the gameplay quirks, where to get the best weapons, the radio, etc... IMO the games biggest failing is that these things are hidden away in sidequests without being hinted at in the main game.

Minamu

Some of us watched at least one complete playthrough before importing and still played it three times :D Too bad some dude scratched my disc almost beyond repair... Never ever lend games to borderline strangers...

Daigoro

i bought this a few weeks back and started up my first playthrough this morning. so far its... interesting.

i cant believe how fucked up the control scheme is though. its like the devs never used a 360 controller before. im sure ill be able to manage, but wow.

the textures are fucking insane too. really bad. but surpisingly some of the character models are pretty good.

not sure if im going to be one of the people who loves this game or not, but im going to give it a fair try.

Minamu said:
Some of us watched at least one complete playthrough before importing and still played it three times :D Too bad some dude scratched my disc almost beyond repair... Never ever lend games to borderline strangers...

Did he use it as a frisbee and coaster?

So I just picked up the game and I'm having some trouble getting from point A to point B on the outdoor map, it's really confusing and the map changing angles (the big map that comes up when you hit select) isn't helping. Any tips? Is there really no GPS function in this game?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Choosing between personally replaying the game or watching the giant bomb endurance run (VJ version) again.

tough :(

Daigoro

Neuromancer said:
So I just picked up the game and I'm having some trouble getting from point A to point B on the outdoor map, it's really confusing and the map changing angles (the big map that comes up when you hit select) isn't helping. Any tips? Is there really no GPS function in this game?

im having issues with this as well.

so far i have just been driving and checking the map every once in a while. its not easy though.

Jhoan

Neuromancer said:

Unfortunately, no and that's one of the game's biggest flaws and nuisance; the map arbitrarily rotates as you drive around. Like the person above me said, hit back (or select) every time you need to look at to tell where you are. It's something that Swery said he wished he could have fixed before the game shipped. And since it'll never get a patch, it blows. Alternately, get the radio ASAP so you could avoid driving as little as possible, except to places such as the optional dungeons and to collect cards around the town. My older bro is playing through it and he finds it annoying as well.

Yes, get the radio as soon as possible! Also, why did you spoiler that? There's really nothing to spoil. If you ask just about any person who has played, they will tell you to get the radio.

manzo

Daigoro said:
i bought this a few weeks back and started up my first playthrough this morning. so far its... interesting.

i cant believe how fucked up the control scheme is though. its like the devs never used a 360 controller before. im sure ill be able to manage, but wow.

the textures are fucking insane too. really bad. but surpisingly some of the character models are pretty good.

not sure if im going to be one of the people who loves this game or not, but im going to give it a fair try.

Give it time. It's super goofy when you start it, but the game manages to tell a good story better than any other game this gen.

Daigoro

manzo said:
Give it time. It's super goofy when you start it, but the game manages to tell a good story better than any other game this gen.

i plan on it. im certainly interested enough to keep going so far. thanks.

Jipan said:
Unfortunately, no and that's one of the game's biggest flaws and nuisance; the map arbitrarily rotates as you drive around. Like the person above me said, hit back (or select) every time you need to look at to tell where you are. It's something that Swery said he wished he could have fixed before the game shipped. And since it'll never get a patch, it blows. Alternately, get the radio ASAP so you could avoid driving as little as possible, except to places such as the optional dungeons and to collect cards around the town. My older bro is playing through it and he finds it annoying as well.
Thanks... Where do I get the radio?

So far I haven't been exploring much or doing anything outside of the main quests (unless I see a medal or something on the side of the road). Right now I'm in the
lumber mill looking at the murder scene.
Should I be doing other things? Also what's up with eating, should I be getting food in between missions?

Daigoro said:

I remapped shoot to right trigger, aim to left trigger, reload to X, and run to A. It's still weird but now it's a little less weird.

kevinski

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Should I be doing other things? Also what's up with eating, should I be getting food in between missions?

You don't absolutely have to do other things at any specific time, because you always have the opportunity to replay sections of the game later on. Just be very careful about doing this whenever you have a key in your inventory, because there's a glitch that removes the key from your inventory. If I had to recommend side missions, then I'd suggest purchasing spiritual maps from Keith at the Milk Barn and collecting bones throughout Greenvale. You'll want to complete at least the first spiritual map side mission, and you'll want to collect all seven bones and let Willie take them. Once you search his doghouse on Kaysen's truck, you'll not only recover the bones, but also a Magnum with infinite ammo.

I must comment on one disturbing trend that I've seen in this topic, however. (I just read through it in its entirety. Haha.) I think that it'd be in new players' best interests to not simply bypass the driving sequences by using the radio. I honestly feel that the driving sequences are important in truly appreciating York's character, because what initially seems like completely pointless trivia about movies really says a lot about the type of person that York is.

End of game spoiler:
My favorite aspect of the whole York/Zach relationship is that York is ultimately created to help Zach cope with what happened in his childhood, but their relationship evolves into a more traditional friendship in the process.

PooBone

I need to replay this game. I bought a second copy just to have on in plastic and support the devs. LOVE this game, and like it's been said many times, it really reminds me of Twin Peaks, one of my favorite shows ever.

kevinski

Banned
PooBone said:
...it really reminds me of Twin Peaks, one of my favorite shows ever.

I hadn't watched Twin Peaks until after I'd played through DP (which I ended up playing through three times in order to get 1000/1000 GS), and I was really blown away by all of the similarities. Still, yeah, great game and great show. My only real gripe about Twin Peaks is that the final episode wasn't paced very well and ultimately only served as a desperate attempt at getting the show secured for another season (which didn't happen). I honestly wish that I could unwatch the final episode and not know of its contents. I couldn't tolerate the movie, either.

Oyashiro

Jut started playing this. What's the point of profiling? It seems really useless. Just a bunch of images flashing...

Also, how soon can I do one of those missions that gives you better weapons? Are they difficult?

Oyashiro said:
Jut started playing this. What's the point of profiling? It seems really useless. Just a bunch of images flashing...

Also, how soon can I do one of those missions that gives you better weapons? Are they difficult?

Profiling basically is York piecing together the evidence he's collected to make sense of the crime scene. You should skip profiling until you have all the pieces of evidence. There's no point watching with only one or two pieces. I wouldn't skip those sections because they do add to the story by giving you a sense of what happened. As for the weapons, they are available in sidequests which can be completed in the chapters given by the quest. Simply find the quest you want, make sure you can complete it in the chapter you're in, and then meet that person at the appropriate time. Just so you know, you can complete only one sidequest per person per chapter. Meaning if you do a quest for George, you can't do another one for him until the next chapter.

I would consult a sidequest guide to know which ones give you certain weapons. Here's a handy one.

Mollymauk

Deadly Premonition coming to Games on Demand

Cult hit Deadly Premonition is set to continue its improbable success by making it onto Xbox Live's "Games on Demand" service. You will be able to "FK" in the digital coffee from July 15.

The news solidifies Deadly Premonition as a winner, despite its humble beginnings as an obscure Japanese budget title. Before and even during the game's launch, nobody paid it any attention. Then the videos and reviews started appearing.

Destructoid was perhaps the game's earliest supporter, with a number of editors heavily covering it even before release, and we're thrilled to have seen it done so well. As Swery65 prepares to make a new game, we hope Deadly Premonition continues to thrive on Games on Demand and a publisher sees the potential in funding this magnificent man's projects.

The little game that could hits another milestone. :)

Good to see it getting some more exposure on XBL.

On a side note, I bought this game nearly a year ago now, and still haven't finished it. :/ Got sidetracked when New Vegas came out, then Two Worlds II, then Batman Arkham Asylum, then Dead Rising 2, then Alice Madness Returns...

christ.

Top Bottom