• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

You should have finished getting to the end the legit way! The build up and way the game gets to it is all really awesome.

I feel your pain, though. Time heals all wounds.

Neiteio

You should have finished getting to the end the legit way! The build up and way the game gets to it is all really awesome.

I feel your pain, though. Time heals all wounds.
Oh, I still plan to go through the game proper, maybe even pick it up when it hits PS3. I think it's for the best I know what happens...
Will help me enjoy their time together more...
And not hurt as much later... Oh god... *starts crying*

I'm seriously really devastated. WHY?

Seriously, Emily is the most beautiful videogame girl ever. I'm not even kidding. There are moments where her eyes convey so much soul. I wish she talked at the end, when they show her in the afterlife. I don't think she spoke then... She's just happy, at York's side. I guess the idea is that part of Zach's spirit, the York personality Emily fell in love with, accompanied her to the hereafter... I know it's supposed to be happy but that's so fucking depressing. I'm already dreaming up fan fiction alternatives -- not going to write them or anything, but in my mind I desperately want to see them together making cute York babies and York eating Emily's terrible cooking. I rarely get this wrapped up in a game's characters. Damn.

That's pretty much the main reason this is tied as my fav. game this gen with Mass Effect. The characters are just fantastic, and there wasn't a single one that I didn't find endearing or memorable in some way. It's kind of crazy that they were able to make me care about every single member of the cast, especially since some of them are really out there.

It makes me really look forward to anything from Swery and team in the future. : )

Neiteio

I'm rewatching the scene... the scene where it all goes wrong... I'm rewatching it and I can't stop...
It's like watching Titantic, you know the fucking boat will still sink. Jack still dies. Emily still gets "soiled" and pulls out the plant...
I'm feeling sick, so very sick. :( :(

Maybe the PS3 version will have alternate content including a
NON-DEPRESSING ENDING MODE where you can basically play indefinitely with York and Emily married in a Deadly Premonition vesion of Animal Crossing.

Neiteio

They already have the fishing and "get stuff for townspeople" mechanics down... Deadly Premonition Animal Crossing hybrid needs to happen. NOW.
Actually, in all due seriousness I'd be totally down for this. Some sort of spin-off, alternate reality game that would simply be the town life elements, following the comic antics of York the FBI profiler, visting for some R&R, only to wind up falling for the sheriff's deputy. No
Thomas going evil
or
demon people
or any of that jazz. Just York being York, eventually winning the girl and living happily ever after.

Please Swery. :(

Oh, I still plan to go through the game proper, maybe even pick it up when it hits PS3. I think it's for the best I know what happens...
Will help me enjoy their time together more...
And not hurt as much later... Oh god... *starts crying*

I'm seriously really devastated. WHY?

Seriously, Emily is the most beautiful videogame girl ever. I'm not even kidding. There are moments where her eyes convey so much soul. I wish she talked at the end, when they show her in the afterlife. I don't think she spoke then... She's just happy, at York's side. I guess the idea is that part of Zach's spirit, the York personality Emily fell in love with, accompanied her to the hereafter... I know it's supposed to be happy but that's so fucking depressing. I'm already dreaming up fan fiction alternatives -- not going to write them or anything, but in my mind I desperately want to see them together making cute York babies and York eating Emily's terrible cooking. I rarely get this wrapped up in a game's characters. Damn.
I posted my thoughts on the end about a month ago in the LTTP-thread and I felt pretty much exactly the same way. I remember that I couldn't think of almost anything else the following couple of days after completing the game. Was just empty.

Neiteio

I posted my thoughts on the end about a month ago in the LTTP-thread and I felt pretty much exactly the same way. I remember that I couldn't think of almost anything else the following couple of days after completing the game. Was just empty.
Can you find your impressions and post them here in spoiler-tagged form? I want to see.

I'm still devastated, which is a sign they did a great job with the characters, for me to care so much what happens to them. I suppose it could've been worse;
I was worried York or Emily would turn out to be the killer, and I'm glad that's NOT the case
. But I'm so sad what happened. :(

I just completed it and the end
leaves me with a very depressed and empty feeling. I know that York and Emily are happily together in the other world, but it's still pretty sad how things turned out. It would have been cool if every option you have to make regarding killing emily, kaysen or yourself would actually lead to different endings.

Well, it's not that much, due to my limited english skills. But I totally understand what you're thinking and can relate to what you have written here. I also felt the need for an option to intervene somehow and thus the option to
save emily
. I couldn't stand leaving the end as it was. For example
the choice not to tell kaysen to bring emily to the hospital and leave her alone with him
. However, I think it still makes the game a deeper (and better) experience than just some hollywood kind of happy ending and provokes more feelings and thought.
Have you touched the game since? I replayed it on easy difficulty just to see the story once more about a week later after completing it the first time. It was still pretty sad, but not that bad anymore. You kind of (have to) accept it at some point.

This game has been in my backlog for over a year which is fucking weird because I love Twin Peaks, John Hughes films, shitty driving mechanics AND Tom & Jerry.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Got this, played for a bit need to get back into this as have gone a Twin Peaks Kick ATM, this & Alan Wake shall suffice...

If you're itching for Twin Peaks, this will satisfy much more than Alan Wake, in that regard. AW is still a good game, but this definitely is more in line with that kind of tone and presentation.

If you're itching for Twin Peaks, this will satisfy much more than Alan Wake, in that regard. AW is still a good game, but this definitely is more in line with that kind of tone and presentation.

And characters. Agent York Morgan is pretty much a copy of Dale Cooper. But a pretty good and very likable one.

SHarris78

Just re-bought this as i only got a third or so through it first time around. As much as i was really enjoying it the progression through the game was confusing. Was never sure when to do what, eg. I know theres something you can do whuch enables you to 'warp' to places instead of drive, which would be awesome.

Any tips on the 'correct' way to play, or would it be best to just go for it?

OMG Aero

Any tips on the 'correct' way to play, or would it be best to just go for it?
Absolutely do not just go for it. Follow the tips on this page.
You want to at least get the quick travel item and preferably a certain special infinite weapon and melee weapon to make a later enemy easier.
Deadly Premonition can be infuriating if you don't have certain sidequest rewards and that page lists the important ones and some other tips to explain/tell you things that make the game less annoying.

Yuripaw

Banned
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but today I finally took a chance and made myself a "Sinner's sandwich" made popular in Deadly Premonition. Turkey, strawberry jam, and cereal (used honey bunches of oats), on lightly toasted bread.

I gotta say, yummy! It was actually really good. I think this is gonna become a typical late night snack for me if I got all the ingrediants ^_^

418719_10151024860281174_2124219630_n.jpg

Snapped a picture...this is actually my second one today, hehe.

Great game. I rented it from gamefly and finished it a few days ago. It feels like a mystery visual novel with silent hill horror sequences and a GTA style open world and driving part. Unfortunately like a lot of Japanese visual novels the endings tend to be really complex and out there but otherwise it was a really fun game.

One of the differences I think between this game and most other games made nowadays is that you really get a sense of authorship by SWERY. It's probably due to the fact that it was a low budget game made by a relatively small team but I felt like there was a consistent vision with personality rather than most big budget games today which feel like they are designed by committee and everything gets watered down and bland. It was very old school in that aspect.

If there is a sequel I really hope that it is a prequel and follows York (along with Zach) as he solves some previous non-red seeds related crime or crimes.

Top Bottom