• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Is there a way to change or swap the character model? I really do not like this guy.

201391013442287507580.jpg

Anyone else will be ok.

Excuse me?

golem09

Neo Member
I'll try this tomorrow: now that I experienced the skipping load times thing, I can't live without it, but I can't play fullscreen because the game started crashing after the lumbermill scene EVERY time I drive at random points. Hopefully this works.

Driving crashes can be averted by a windows restart (and setting compatibility to windows 98)

Durante

I just fixed an issue (which was really hard to track down) which caused 0.5-2 pixel "halos" around objects in some situations. It got worse the with higher rendering resolution. I'll probably do a release some time tomorrow, I want to get one other thing in.

Oh, and thanks InfiniteNine for the UI/font package, looking great.

Durante, I'm using my m11x-r2 and the performance is awful when I use DPFix; framerates in the single digits, but solid 30 without the fix. Is the Optimus issue still a problem? When I run the game the system claims to be using the Nvidia GPU, but I can't understand why the performance drops so severely otherwise.
It's a problem again because apparently NV didn't fix it, and I can't use the workaround I applied in Dark Souls (which was replacing the directinput dll instead of d3d, and then detouring d3d from there) since Deadly Premonition doesn't use directinput.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
No problem! If anyone finds anything else that bothers them be sure to note it and I'll try fixing it up if I can although if I actually proceed from the red room I probably won't actually work on it till I complete the game.

Capndrake

Has anybody else made it to the epilogue yet? DPfix + Windows 98 compatibility mode made the rest of the game pretty much crash-free, but the epilogue just crashes over and over.

parabolee

Has anybody else made it to the epilogue yet? DPfix + Windows 98 compatibility mode made the rest of the game pretty much crash-free, but the epilogue just crashes over and over.

Didn't have any issues with the epilogue myself. The crashes are so damn inconsistent!

Great work on the HD HUD InfiniteNine!

It's a problem again because apparently NV didn't fix it, and I can't use the workaround I applied in Dark Souls (which was replacing the directinput dll instead of d3d, and then detouring d3d from there) since Deadly Premonition doesn't use directinput.

Damn you Nvidia! Maybe I'll just play with kb/m and unplug my controller. I can handle the low res but not the input bug.

I'm playing for the first time, and I made sure to get the Durante Fix (so good) and the HD Fonts (SO GOOD). I wish I had the patience to set up the XPadder stuff, but man, this game is bizarre. Really not what I expected going in.

Having just finished Twin Peaks a couple months ago, that intro cinematic had a lot of similarities, but that's where it seems to end for me. Does it get... weirder?

somesplace

Neo Member
I keep getting a crash on Episode 2 chapter 2 (once I enter the art gallery). Anyone else experienced this? Compatibility doesn't seem to fix it.

I'm playing for the first time, and I made sure to get the Durante Fix (so good) and the HD Fonts (SO GOOD). I wish I had the patience to set up the XPadder stuff, but man, this game is bizarre. Really not what I expected going in.

Having just finished Twin Peaks a couple months ago, that intro cinematic had a lot of similarities, but that's where it seems to end for me. Does it get... weirder?

yes

Driving crashes can be averted by a windows restart (and setting compatibility to windows 98)

Doesn't work for me, running Win8.1. I have pretty much to restart the computer (which doesn't take luckily more than a minute) every time the game crashes in fullscreen because even if I win+L lock myself out and in, I can't kill the screen by any means. I tried the Win98 compability mode and it just made the game crash on random points (the launch, loading screens, etc) with "DP.exe has stopped working" (ran it as Administrator, otherwise the game refused to launch).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Also it seems to fix my framerate tanking while having the enhancements on I had to set the affinity of the game to use more than one core of my PC.

SHarris78

FINALLY got around to starting this today using the latest Fix and HD pack, running like a dream thus far. As long as it doesn't crash on me i'm more than happy with how the game now plays.

Huge thanks to Durante and InfiniteNine for all your work.

golem09

Neo Member
FINALLY got around to starting this today using the latest Fix and HD pack, running like a dream thus far. As long as it doesn't crash on me i'm more than happy with how the game now plays.

Huge thanks to Durante and InfiniteNine for all your work.

If you experience a black screen or long loading times, press ALT twice (pauses/unpauses the game) to speed them up. Doesn't work in Durante's borderless windowed mode though, you can use this one instead.

SHarris78

If you experience a black screen or long loading times, press ALT twice (pauses/unpauses the game) to speed them up. Doesn't work in Durante's borderless windowed mode though, you can use this one instead.

I did initially get a black screen, but after a restart all was good. I've saved the game at the very first save point (right near the start of the game) and i'm already totally sucked into its uniqueness (I've played it before on 360 so know what to expect). One of my all time favourites without doubt, there's nothing else like it.

Durante

screenshot_2013-11-10tedst.jpg

I just released DPFix 0.8.

• Fixed pixel offset error in light buffer with higher rendering resolution (caused small halos around some objects)
  • Fixed AA not being correctly applied when the game uses the alternative rendering path (e.g. in the gallery)
  • Added option to improve the Depth of Field effect (reduces flicker/pixelation)
  • Added intial version of SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion) option

SSAO:

golem09

Neo Member
Looks great!
But did you decrease the DOF amount? It looks like it in the shot above.

EDIT:

I still get the Halos, Durante. Clear like a crisp spring morning. It's amazing.

s_mirage

I'm sad to report that the latest update has completely borked things on my machine: the bump mapping is missing again, there are weird lighting effects etc. This is with enhancements switched on or off. (Lightsouls' comment on Durante's blog seems to be showing the same problem.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, I just tried it out right now and it looks like it's worsened.

Edit: booted up the game again and it looks fine now? The SSAO looks a bit messed up compared to your shots though when it's shadowing on York and AA isn't working on the Pause screen anymore.

Pause Menu:
ixlWJmKCNVCb.png

Shadow flickering on the front of York's suit:
ibv6Yg5W86aAWW.png

I don't know if you're planning to implement dll chaining like in Dsfix Durante (I guess there's no reason you can't) but in the meantime the only way for me to use both Dpfix and SweetFX is :

• rename dpfix's d3d9.dll into dpfix.dll
  • Download this injector and copy its content into game dir
  • Add dpfix.dll at the "// external_d3d9_wrapper" line at the end of the SweetFX_settings.txt file

Durante

It seems like the halos might only be fixed at 2560x1440, which is what I play at. I'll have to do some testing at 1920x1080.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It seems like the halos might only be fixed at 2560x1440, which is what I play at. I'll have to do some testing at 1920x1080.

I actually upped my internal resolution while messing with things so that might explain why it went away for me. Also the game seems to run better with the more taxing features enabled via DPfix for some odd reason.

Am I doing something wrong, the game is still incredibly jaggy even with the internal resolution at 2720x1700 + FXAA. Here are my settings :

Code:
# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 2720
renderHeight 1700

# The display width/height, will be used for fullscreen mode and as window size in windowed mode
presentWidth 2720
presentHeight 1700

Should I set the display with equal to my internal resolution ? Right now It's like some kind of ugly bilinear interpolation is happening

EDIT : ok looks like the display with should be equal to your native monitor res (1680x1050 in my case) :

Code:
# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 3360
renderHeight 2100

# The display width/height, will be used for fullscreen mode and as window size in windowed mode
presentWidth 1680
presentHeight 1050

It's much better now but I'd love to be able to add more AA, I tried RadeonPro (AMD user here) but it doesn't seem to work. Any idea ?
EDIT : thanks Foaloal

Foaloal

Should I set the display with equal to my internal resolution ? Right now It's like some kind of ugly bilinear interpolation is happening

First of all 2720x1700 is a weird choice of rendering resolution to begin with (definitely doesn't scale with 1920x1080) secondly your display width is supposed to be what your screen is at.

So, make sure that you use a render resolution that scales with your screen resolution, and set the display resolution in the .ini to whatever your screen resolution is.

It's much better now but I'd love to be able to add more AA, I tried RadeonPro (AMD user here) but it doesn't seem to work. Any idea ?

Somebody mentioned SweetFX above, though it sounded like they had to use a convoluted method to use it with DPFix. Other than similar programs I can't think of any other way to enable AA, but downsampling from 2x your resolution like you are now with SMAA at high in DPFix should provide more than enough AA.

Edit: Also, InfiniteNine mentioned above that there were AA issues with the latest DPFix release, personally I'd test out 0.7.1 and see if it's better for you until Durante can figure things out for a new release.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
screenshot_2013-11-10tedst.jpg

I just released DPFix 0.8.

• Fixed pixel offset error in light buffer with higher rendering resolution (caused small halos around some objects)
  • Fixed AA not being correctly applied when the game uses the alternative rendering path (e.g. in the gallery)
  • Added option to improve the Depth of Field effect (reduces flicker/pixelation)
  • Added intial version of SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion) option

SSAO:

Hmm, would be nice to upgrade the SSAO to HBAO+ using NV Inspector. Paging Maldo, the NVI master.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hmm, would be nice to upgrade the SSAO to HBAO+ using NV Inspector. Paging Maldo, the NVI master.

That would be wonderful! The current implementation doesn't work too well on York himself so some way to add on top of that would be nice.

Edit: Found the rest of the weapon icons while sifting through the textures so I'll get working on that later.

sanstitreizo3t.gif

sanstitreh1rzi.gif

(Don't mind the gif dithering)

A little contrast curve to help darkening the grayish tones which are too strong in this game (see above post for SweetFX configuration) :

Code:
   /*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                  Curves settings                            /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define Curves_mode 2        //[0|1|2] Choose what to apply contrast to. 0 = Luma, 1 = Chroma, 2 = both Luma and Chroma. Default is 0 (Luma)
#define Curves_contrast 0.50 //[-1.00 to 1.00] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
#define Curves_formula 8     //[1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9] The contrast s-curve you want to use.
                             //1 = Sine, 2 = Abs split, 3 = Smoothstep, 4 = Exp formula, 5 = Simplified Catmull-Rom (0,0,1,1), 6 = Perlins Smootherstep
                             //7 = Abs add, 8 = Techicolor Cinestyle, 9 = Parabola.
                             //Note that Technicolor Cinestyle is practically identical to Sine, but runs slower. In fact I think the difference might only be due to rounding errors.
                             //I prefer 2 myself, but 3 is a nice alternative with a little more effect (but harsher on the highlight and shadows) and it's the fastest formula.

EDIT : Btw am I the only suffering from out of sync audio during cutscenes ? Also the lighting is broken, everything flashes constantly and irregularly like a broken neon. I wonder if this is a AMD specific issue or everyone is having this. I might need to reread the thread

s_mirage

Also the lighting is broken, everything flashes constantly and irregularly like a broken neon. I wonder if this is a AMD specific issue or everyone is having this. I might need to reread the thread

Yeah, that's what I'm having in addition to the bump mapping not working again, but I'm using a GTX 680 so it's not AMD specific.

I switched back to DPFix 0.7.1 and I no longer have the issue. I guess normal mapping is the culprit, I read a few pages back that it disappeared when going hi-res.
With 0.8 -at least for me- normal mapping textures seem to appear and disappear intermittently

Guess I'll stick to 0.7.1 for now as advised, so much for the SSAO :(

Durante

I really don't get these issues with 0.8, I tested it in a lot of scenes on my system and it's solid.

Can anyone try to configure it to disable all enhancements, set the resolution to 720p and see if it still causes problems? If not, then incrementally increase settings one by one and try to find the culprit. I can't do this because everything works for me :/

I really don't get these issues with 0.8, I tested it in a lot of scenes on my system and it's solid.

Can anyone try to configure it to disable all enhancements, set the resolution to 720p and see if it still causes problems? If not, then incrementally increase settings one by one and try to find the culprit. I can't do this because everything works for me :/

Maybe it would help if everyone also mentions what their video card and OS is? And if they're running latest video card drivers, etc. etc...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Maybe it would help if everyone also mentions what their video card and OS is? And if they're running latest video card drivers, etc. etc...

Well I'll do some testing on the game in an hour or two if no one else does but here are my specs otherwise:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 (GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver ver. 331.65)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i3-2100 @3.10GHz
1.5TB HDD
8GB RAM

s_mirage

Still broken, I haven't found a setting that works. 7.1 worked fine apart from the known bugs.

System specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz
Geforce GTX 680 using 331.65 drivers
Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic
1 + 3 TB HDD
16GB RAM

AMD HD7950 user here (official Catalyst 13.10) / Windows 7 x64 SP1 very very up-to-date

I tried redownloading and re-applying 0.8 and the bug happens again, lighting is messed up again and flashing like a broken neon when you move the camera around...
I don't know how to describe it best (like strobing lights ?). Oh I see the bug is already described on your blog comments (with pictures) so I'm not an isolated case

And this happens even with the vanilla DPfix.ini -which I set to 720p anyway like you said- which means SSAO shouldn't be involved (like I read in your blog comments) as it's disabled per default... I even deleted all the peripheral shader files (FXAA.fx, VSSAO.fx etc...) to make sure they weren't interfering... It has to be in the c++ code

You might want to release a debug build so we could send you a lvl 40 log ?

EDIT : could it be because I have Visual C++ 2012 redistributable installed or a different DirectX version ?

Top Bottom