• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Esther |OT|

oatmeal

Banned
Did you read the posts above you that showed you how to adjust the walking speed?

The mod has much less visual detail, and a couple of spots are different. But the overall narrative, island, structure, ending, etc. are all the same.

It's like a fully-functional prototype version of the game.

Very cool!

I like stuff like this a lot.

I need to play Amnesia now, I have put in about 20 minutes but wasn't the right mood for it. I know it's not that similar...but still.

Ledsen

Just finished this... game? movie? I don't really care. Whatever it was, it was intensely beautiful. I found myself taking "photos" (screens) of the environments constantly, trying to frame it just so. The music was haunting and kicked in at just the right moments. Sadly the writing was shitty as fuck, flounderingly dissipating its ruinous ruminations in ponderously labyrinthian metaphors, like an ecstacy-fuelled mouse in my vision of the light at the end of the two-story brick tunnel with tufts of grass blowing menacingly in the dark and foreboding movement of air. That was pretty awkward. Suddenly I'm extremely interested in A Machine For Pigs even though I promised myself not to play it.

I don't get it..... there are so many theories behind the story, I don't know what to believe....

It's best to play it numerous times and form your own theory. Then compare it to what others think and go from there. I still don't understand it fully myself.

It's best to play it numerous times and form your own theory. Then compare it to what others think and go from there. I still don't understand it fully myself.

I barely just heard about this game from listening to Radio Free Nintendo's latest podcast and hearing how it was more of an experience than a game, per se. That said, I really think your take on how your playthroughs have to be discussed with other players is what the entire experience is all about. Detective work at its finest and yet there really are no solid answers... or is there?

In my theory, I want to say that the narrator is actually the drunk driver in the tale, or in this case Paul. Somewhere he mentions that his only problem was alcohol and combustion engines, ergo drinking and driving.

Sagitario

Just finished this... I think (1:54 hours, according to Steam).

While I really enjoyed the "exploration", the island setting and the music, I am not sure I got the story/narration. But I blame it on my language skills (English isn't my first language, and I am not used to this kind of style prose/rhythmic structure).

Can anyone ITT explain to me (seriously) how this is garnering so much praise?

I sat and played through the whole thing based on review scores expecting it to get better, and it was one of the most mind-numbingly boring "gaming" experiences I've ever encountered. You know something is wrong with a game when you spend 20 minutes jumping into a sinkhole to try and kill yourself.

Anyhow, although I feel the concept was interesting, the execution was poor. It felt like I was wondering around a sixth former's tortured poetry book. In addition, I felt the dialog was deliberately obtuse, which is always a sign that they had nothing really interesting to say in the first place.

I'm sorry, Dear Esther. I tried and wanted to love you, but you're just a pretentious mess of ideas that ultimately delivers nothing.

Martian

Can anyone ITT explain to me (seriously) how this is garnering so much praise?

I sat and played through the whole thing based on review scores expecting it to get better, and it was one of the most mind-numbingly boring "gaming" experiences I've ever encountered. You know something is wrong with a game when you spend 20 minutes jumping into a sinkhole to try and kill yourself.

Anyhow, although I feel the concept was interesting, the execution was poor. It felt like I was wondering around a sixth former's tortured poetry book. In addition, I felt the dialog was deliberately obtuse, which is always a sign that they had nothing really interesting to say in the first place.

I'm sorry, Dear Esther. I tried and wanted to love you, but you're just a pretentious mess of ideas that ultimately delivers nothing.

It's not a game, that's the thing: It wasn't made as a playable game, but more as a more interactive movie.

Reese-015

Only recently started playing this... What an experience. It's absolutely one of the most beautiful things I've experienced in gaming, just incredible. Will be replaying this quite a bit.

ismaboof

Just played through this game for the first time. You definitely need to be in the mood for it. I loved it. Now to read through this entire thread and learn about the story.
Who was watching you on the clifftop ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Top Bottom