• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear God - When a cat rolls on its back it means it DOESN'T want its belly rubbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get it. My roommate has 2 cats. One is old and loooves his belly rubbed. The other I've known since he was a wittle kitty and playfully bites me when I rub his belly. It's not like "ow! you motherfucker!" type of bite/scratch. It's like a playful bite. Doesn't hurt a bit. Should I stop?

Thats the cats way of saying, please stop, but I dont want to hurt you. It's a warning.

Row

Banned
My cat never rolled on its back, so sometimes I'd swoop in from below as it walked by and rub its tummy. It would usually jump away, then hiss or swipe at me, which was deserved I suppose.

DoomGyver

I think it depends on their mood (I know, this changes five times a minute) but if they're playing with you and roll on their back go for the kill.

Mistle

My cat used to really love belly rubs. Only after awhile would it eventually attack me and be like "that's enough now" haha

Spinluck

But my cat loves that shit, he starts purring and shuts his eyes.

If the bastard wanted a head rub, he should've told me. :'(

This seemed pretty obvious to me after realizing that every fucking cat will attempt to gnaw at your hand if you rub their belly for longer than a second.

$200

Banned
ku-xlarge.jpg

Dogs are naturally much better companions for humans than cats.

yepyepyep

Lies. My cat loves belly rubs! Maybe it depends on how it has been raised. We've always given him belly rubs since he was a kitten.

Derwind

Okay so its not saying it loves me and wants to be closer when its digging its hissing at me?

Cats are fucking complicated.

I'm a dog person anyways

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
This actually happened to me with an actual Cheetah at a rescue zoo in South Africa. It laid on it's back and so I went to pet it's stomach and it went for the playful bite with it's gigantic teeth and I darted my hand away just in time. Never again. This article came about a year late for me.

This actually happened to me with an actual Cheetah at a rescue zoo in South Africa. It laid on it's back and so I went to pet it's stomach and it went for the playful bite with it's gigantic teeth and I darted my hand away just in time. Never again. This article came about a year late for me.

I didn't think one would need to read an article before realize playing with a mother fucking cheetah was a bad idea.

E: I realize you are probably trained but damn I don't think I could ever be comfortable around a wild animal like that.

Clydefrog

I saw a great white shark in the water so I jumped off my boat to play with it but luckily I swam back in before he killed me.

Zoe

My kitty loves getting her belly rubbed. If you start petting her when she's stretched on her side, she'll lift up her leg so you can access her belly.

Only cat body language you need to know imo is tail swiping, when the tail starts to move you know the cat is agitated and you're about to get bitten.

Mine wags her tail when she's happy. It's rare for her tail to not be moving. That's how we know when she's passed out on her platform because it will hang straight down :lol

mclem

I've definitely had that moment where I casually reach down for a belly rub and then a few seconds later I've got a few claws in the lower part of my hand and a baleful gaze. It explains a lot... except for the small matter of if they're showing you they trust you to rub their head, why don't they adopt a position where you can get to their head?

I don't know man, I heard like 4 different versions of this stuff. I wish there was a real scientific research of this.

Anyway, it's just a cat. I just to rub my cats belly just so it will kick me arm with its little feet =3

Ithil

That doesn't line up with what one of my cats does in the slightest. He very much wants his belly rubbed when he stretches out, and enjoys it.

Sibylus

Banned
The article bulldozes over a lot of subtlety. Our cats stand on their toes to "reach" for your hand for a head stroke as well, lying on their back isn't a binary signifier for "head stroke pls". Sometimes they do it for that reason, sometimes they do it to play, sometimes they do it while rolling on our shoes. Further, rubbing their belly seldom triggers an "omg betrayed" response. Either they'll be playful and roll from side to side and try to catch your hand, or they'll knead their paws and purr.

Basically, get to know the specific animal and use common sense.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
I didn't think one would need to read an article before realize playing with a mother fucking cheetah was a bad idea.

E: I realize you are probably trained but damn I don't think I could ever be comfortable around a wild animal like that.

They were pretty domesticated and pretty much grew up around humans, so it was more playing...but seeing the teeth I knew they could do serious damage "playing":

saanimals_065.jpg

More pics including baby Cheetah's and various other funny/cute animal pics:
http://photo.rukes.com/saanimals/saanimals.html

Depends on the cat and depends on their mood; this article isn't true across the board. My family's cat will sometimes rub on your leg until she's basically upside down and crashes to the floor on her back and doesn't care if you rub da belly. Other times you'd be unwise to do it or risk your hand being filleted.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
• The leg rub – when the cats rubs its head and body against your legs it is saying you smell strange and is trying to mark you with its scent

You son of a bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom