• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Nintendo. Why isn't Zelda a playable character in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Jezan

I thought this was a meme. Do people really believe in this?
It stopped being about "use that time to create new characters" and more like "I don't wanna see different versions of the same character in the selection screen because it looks like a mess" (specially if there is no order.

Jezan

Well i kinda agree, i mean the game we all love is called Zelda. Which brings me to this offtopic question. Why do we never play as Zelda, i mean the game has been called zelda for the past 30 years.
If it's all about Link why not call it The Legend of Link. Lol it's late off to bed.
You will be surprised by their answer:
"'...if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do,' Aonuma asked."

That was taken from an interview before Breath of the Wild was unveiled.

I wish there was a Smash Kart, but if the brand is too big , then call it Mario Kart Smash Bros. or Mario Kart Super Stars or something like that, when Smash 4 was in development the Rosalina video started with Kirby racing in Rainbow Road, I really thought there was going to be a cross over, Kirby makes a lot of sense, besides Link has "normal" proportions and he is fine in the kart, there shouldn't be a problem for anyone else, hell look how uncomfortable Bowser looks riding a kart or bike. They could add Samus' Gunship as a kart , also the Warp Star , even add more items!

Edit: Peach and Zelda use the same model in Smash, in Mario Kart, Peach, Daisy and Rosalina use the same model (Rosalina is bigger though) there should be no problem to use it for Zelda, maybe they could even export the textures from Smash 4.

Platy

Because she is kidnapped somewhere =P

And yeah, Diddy and Birdetta are first in line because they are more "Mario" characters

Forkball

I would rather they keep guest racers to a minimum. I know a lot of people want Smash Kart, but part of the reason Smash is special is because it is the ONLY chance to see these characters crossover. Admittedly, I would like to see Kirby in there. And Sonic.

Moose84

Same reason Ice Climbers, or Kirby, or Samus, or Pit aren't in the game. They limited the non-Mario-universe characters to a handful.

If Zelda were a female version of Link, you'd have a point, but she isn't.

I'd rather they refreshed the franchise and made Super Midna Kart or Super Mipha Kart instead. Zelda's a diva, let some of the other ladies shine sometime ;)

For MK9 i want them to include every single Nintendo character and make it free to play where you buy the drivers you want (either amiibo or digital)

Tracks are free, just drivers and kart cosmetics are paid a la kart.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For MK9 i want them to include every single Nintendo character and make it free to play where you buy the drivers you want (either amiibo or digital)

Tracks are free, just drivers and kart cosmetics are paid a la kart.
That will for sure fabricate a backlash from fans

vsbizarro

Banned
Dear Nintendo.

I am very much looking forward to playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after it has become availiable to the general public. I am also very much enjoying The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. This has me very much excited to play as Link in Mario Kart 8, but the question remains.

If i can play as Link in Mario Kart 8, why can't i play as Zelda?

Presumed non Mario IP Splatoon and Animal Crossing both have playable male and female characters from each of their respective franchises.(Inkling Boy and Girl as well as male and female Villagers) Furthermore Zelda has appeared as a playable character in multiple cross over titles including almost 2 decades of the Smash Bros series and Hyrule Warriors. This begs the question, Why isn't Zelda playable in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Surely one of the multiple Mario and or Peach variations could appear as palate swaps with the original character to free up an extra roster space. Zelda could even appear as a palate swap for Link. So Why isn't Zelda playable in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Regards
Confused Consumer.

Edit: Please dont use this thread to campaign for your favourite Nintendo character that didn't make it into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or a "Nintendo Kart" or a "Smash Kart." This thread is specifically about Zelda's absense from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when other IPs with guest characters are getting 2 representative's one male and one female.

Man, dats a really good question

The community isnt just mens, we've to include women, not just in MK Series, But we've just a few games in comparison with main male chracters

To be fair, they really should have had different characters instead of the variable ones like Dry Bones. But please, for the love of God- don't make this into a Mario Kart is sexist because there's not enough female representation.

WonderzL

Banned
The answer is simple: the first pack was released under a tight schedule (so we got two random ass characters: Cat Peach and Tanuki Mario). I hate them for that. Zelda should have been playable alongside Link.

fhqwhgads

The real question is why aren't the Mario sub series represented better
I wanna play as more Kongs than just DK
I wanna play as Kamek and Poochy
I wanna play as any sort of Warioland or Warioware character

WonderzL

Banned
The real question is why aren't the Mario sub series represented better
I wanna play as more Kongs than just DK
I wanna play as Kamek and Poochy
I wanna play as any sort of Warioland or Warioware character

I'm pretty sure that's because people who work with MK are Miyamoto boys, so they cover Miyamoto games (mainline). I could be wrong, but that makes sense. Remember that DKC is a Rare game, and Wario games were SPD. You can see how EAD/EPD games are favoured seeing how all franchises in MK are from them: Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon.

Top Bottom