• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Note (2017) Review Thread

True Fire

Edge-of-Tomorrow-UK-Quad.jpg

Yeah, I know it's not an anime adaptation, but it's close enough.

I think it's ridiculous how they straight up changed the title of this movie after it was already released.

Wait, really? Fucking REALLY? The part where Light takes a huge risk and eventually, after a long, LONG time it pays of? This was "awful"? It's the peak for the entire series

Honestly, the amnesia subplot was idiotic. Light gave his enemies waaaaay too much leverage by letting them know about the Death Note. He could've done things a lot differently.

Trey

I think its funny that everyone hold this adaptation to some weirdly high standard given none of the Japanese live action movies were very good, nor was most of season 2 of the show.

Also I think outside of the Dragonball movie most American live action adaptation of comics are far better than Japanese adaptations of manga which look more likr a cosplay convention with poor CG most of the time.

Nor was most of the first season, let's be real. This movie not being a complete train wreck is an achievement.

I think its funny that everyone hold this adaptation to some weirdly high standard given none of the Japanese live action movies were very good, nor was most of season 2 of the show.

Also I think outside of the Dragonball movie most American live action adaptation of comics are far better than Japanese adaptations of manga which look more likr a cosplay convention with poor CG most of the time.

What's funny is that you act like people don't call out the Japanese movies or S2 of the show constantly. It's held to the exact same standards. Japanese live action movies are always shit on for being low budget

What's weird is people call the second part of Death Note season 2 but it's all one season.

Anyway those later episodes are fine I think. The constant back and forth of 'I know what you are thinking and what you think I am thinking' between L and Light got really tired after a while.

Joni

And those Japanese movies both managed to do something interesting with the source material, the first one did an excellent job on setting up Light as a magnificent bastard and the second one had
L actually straight up win instead of doing the L won through Near and mello bit

Don't care for reviews for this movie.

It's free and I'm watching it at home.

Love Netflix.
I think you care a bit about reviews, considering you're in a review thread. It's just that middling to negative reviews for the film don't stop you from watching it on Netflix (when did Netflix become free, btw?).

I think you care a bit about reviews, considering you're in a review thread. It's just that middling to negative reviews for the film don't stop you from watching it on Netflix (when did Netflix become free, btw?).

Well this review thread is the closest we have to an impressions thread since they're the only one's who've seen it. He could want to watch regardless of the scores, but still care about their impressions (this is where I'm at. I'm 100% watching it to see for myself)

Zero315

Banned
And those Japanese movies both managed to do something interesting with the source material, the first one did an excellent job on setting up Light as a magnificent bastard and the second one had
L actually straight up win instead of doing the L won through Near and mello bit
Yeah, I actually really liked the Japanese live-action movies. The live-action tv series, on the other hand, is trash. There have been a few live-action anime adaptations that have been good. Nodame Cantabile, Ruroni Kenshin, NANA, and of course the one people always forget, Speed Racer.

This seems to be decent-ish though, so I'll give it a watch.

IndieWire said:
Part of you will wish this had been a Netflix show instead of a Netflix movie — part of you will wish Netflix had left it alone altogether. Rating: C-
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/death-note-review-netflix-adam-wingard-1201868224/

The List said:
It has enough incendiary elements to grab your attention, but the mishmash of influences can't quite hold it. Rating: 3/5
https://film.list.co.uk/article/94615-death-note/

Slate Magazine said:
Whereas the more grounded scenes of Death Note anchor a startlingly bloody fantasy of power run amok, the scenes that fixate on super powers and code-busting seldom manage to rise above the realm of serviceable YA fiction. Rating: 2.5/4
https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/death-note

TheWrap said:
Cheesy, asinine, convoluted and ludicrous. On the plus side, if your eyeballs need a vigorous workout, this will have them rolling nonstop.
http://www.thewrap.com/death-note-review-netflix/

Karkador

Banned
Wait, really? Fucking REALLY? The part where Light takes a huge risk and eventually, after a long, LONG time it pays of? This was "awful"? It's the peak for the entire series

It'd be more of an exciting turn of events if it actually felt like a "risk". One of the biggest faults of that anime was how much stuff Light gets away with because the writers contrive a lucky situation or make other characters stupid all of a sudden.

I have no idea how this movie is gonna turn out but I was excited about them saying it would be a different take.

She's an atrocious critic. She was a big part of instigating the harassment campaign certain DC fans led against critics by suggesting that she agreed that there was an anti-DC conspiracy from the critical community, not kidding.

I didn't give any value judgement to her as a critic, only that she gave it a good review. LOL

It'd be more of an exciting turn of events if it actually felt like a "risk". One of the biggest faults of that anime was how much stuff Light gets away with because the writers contrive a lucky situation or make other characters stupid all of a sudden.

I have no idea how this movie is gonna turn out but I was excited about them saying it would be a different take.

How did it not feel like a risk? This is like saying nothing in movies where you know the main character will live in the end are a risk, because you know it'll work out. Yeah, but everything up to that point can still have weight. Not to mention the surrounding characters aren't all clad in plot armor

I just finished the manga recently, and overall I found it a little lacklustre. For one thing the story feels like it could have been told in half the time. It feels like it just gets bogged down with pages and pages of pseudo cerebral kung fu, where characters are endlessly trying to anticipate everyones moves and out think each other, which for the most part doesn't come across particularly clever, it just comes across tiresome. I'm reading it like "ugh I know how clever these people are meant to be, get the fuck on with it". Pages of characters being like "L likely suspects me of doing Y, but he likely knows I suspect him, of suspecting me, so I really should do Y" while other characters are going through the same mental gymnastics is not very entertaining.

In addition, I felt they didn't really know where to take the themes and ideas. It starts quite strong, but by the end, it doesn't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said by a bunch of other stories.

That being said, I am hoping the movie leverages the basic premise, and manages to explore some new ideas with them.

DeviantBoi

I care about reviews in general, but the bad reviews for this movie won't change my mind about seeing it this weekend.

And, yeah, Netflix isn't free, of course, but it's something I'm already paying for... I'm not spending any money to go see it at a movie theater.

Arkeband

Banned
One day this will be rewritten as an intelligent series that pays homage to the source material and fixes a lot of the schlock and bad pacing of the original.

I wonder which will be viewed as worse, this or L: Change the WorLd

Hollywood Reporter said:
Rather than relying on amplifying typical genre conventions, Wingard methodically lays the foundation to set up this particular Death Note adaptation for a potential sequel, but the outcome is more deliberate than inspired.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/death-note-1031144

Cinema Crazed said:
A stark, entertaining horror movie that is very much a "Death Note" tale, but one that works in its own rhythm for a broader audience, without alienating the core fan base.
http://cinema-crazed.com/blog/2017/08/22/death-note-2017/

The Playlist said:
Adam Wingard's film is an incoherent mess of tones and styles, confused character motives, and murky narratives.
http://theplaylist.net/death-note-review-20170821/

Galava

Gonna watch it, already pay for netflix, so not losing anything.

I am a fan of the anime and the japanese live action movies, let's see how this performs.

Top Bottom