• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Purple going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillBoard
Classic Rock

Only forty years after their best and most groundbreaking work was released, Deep Purple is going to be inducted into the Best Buy Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with renowned rock band N.W.A. This may seem like a long time, but for obvious reasons this little-known band took a back seat to rock 'n roll legends such as Green Day, Dusty Springfield, Madonna, ABBA, and Public Enemy.

Anyways, they're inducting the band's first three lineups (sorry, Steve Morse), so it's nice to see the band finally getting what they deserve. So let's celebrate by listening to one of the best rock bands to ever grace our ears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_y7LF3yV6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS7XOWaQ

Retro

Finally. They've been getting snubbed for years. Toto's guitarist put it best a while back; "What's the first song every kid learns how to play? Smoke On The Water...And they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?"

Edit: Thread needs more music:

Line_HTX

Oh man, I was just having Smoke On The Water stuck in my head.

Finally, they can be rewarded and recognized as legendary forever.

Bitanator

Piss stain of a hall of fame, Deep Purple should have considered it an honor to be left out of that pathetic place for so long

Awwwwwwww yessssssssssssss, excellent news

Burn is my personal fav from Deep Purple. Such an incredible song.

TIL that Green Day scammed way more people than I thought into believing that they are any good.
Green Day is INCREDIBLE. American Idiot is one of my fav albums ever and 21st Century Breakdown is AWESOME

DiscoJer

I actually kind of think Smoke on the Water hurts them, because it overshadows the rest of their songs, most of which are excellent.

Such as

Burn

Richie

Deep Purple's inclusion is amazing and well deserved, but the real news for me is the long, LONG overdue inclusion of Chicago into the Hall of Fame. The songs they put out early on, blessed with the incredible guitar talents of the gone-too-soon Terry Kath, those songs alone should have made them inductees for a loooooong time now. Jimi Hendrix himself recognized Kath played guitar like no other man on Earth. Freaking out of this world.

Deep Purple are one of my favorite bands of all time, so this makes me very happy considering that they should have been in 20 years ago.

Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillan has been very consistent over the years that he would not reunite with Blackmore at the Hall of Fame. "It would be unconscionable to think about bringing Ritchie in," he told Rolling Stone in 2014. "I don't have an issue with Ritchie, nor does anyone. I've been in touch with Ritchie recently and everything's cool, so there's no bitter, personal problem. We're too old for that and everything's in the past, but no. That would be out of the question."

Huh

JABEE

I'm happy Deep Purple was inducted. Everything seems to be based on whether Jann likes you.

Deep Purple, Donovan, and T. Rex should be in the Hall of Fame.

T. Rex's influence on Bowie and the rest of the 70s rock scene should have been enough.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Man fuck the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. Tickets alone to get into that place are exorbitant and a ton of the exhibits were pretty sad. It seems to just glorify the surface aspects of the inducted artist's and not delve into what really made them great.

Go to the Science Center near it instead. Cheaper and you will have fun leaking learning something.

Jag

johnny-rotten-hall-of-fame.jpg

Mr. Doop

I'm happy Deep Purple was inducted. Everything seems to be based on whether Jann likes you.

T. Rex's influence on Bowie and the rest of the 70s rock scene should have been enough.

Donovan's been in the hall of fame for a couple of years now. I agree with you on T. Rex, though.

Catvoca

Banned
They really need to rename it to the "Popular Music Hall of Fame" so that people stop posting artists like it's an insult.

Yeah, the Rock and Roll hall of fame is dumb but posting great artists who just aren't "rock" enough as some sort of insult is ricidulous.

Some reeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal shit went down with that band involving Blackmore, it's almost payback in a way for all those times Ritchie would start shit when things were good in that band. Then again, David Coverdale is here, but then again, he only screwed people in Whitesnake. :p

Bright Side: more Steve Morse

Voice Of God Himself Guitar Tone

Of course they had to wait until Jon Lord was dead to do it.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom