• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2019 Announced

J-Roderton

6JQ3F0A.jpg

Inductees include Janet Jackson, Radiohead, Stevie Nicks, Def Leppard, The Cure, Roxy Music, and The Zomies.

Artists are eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first album or single. Kraftwerk, Todd Rundgren, Rage Against the Machine, Rufus & Chaka Khan, MC5, LL Cool J, John Prine and Devo were all nominated, but failed to make the cut. No newly-eligible acts made it in this year, but this was the first time that Def Leppard and Nicks appeared on the ballot (though Nicks was inducted as a member of Fleetwood Mac in 1998). She will become the only woman to enter the Hall of Fame on two occasions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/new...of-fame-2019-class/ar-BBQTVs4?ocid=spartanntp

Thanks Bullet Club Bullet Club for image link

Last edited:

Bullet Club

I've reported the other thread so it's cool.

That's a great list of inductees. Maybe Stevie Nicks doesn't need to be in there as a solo artist although she does have a bunch of good songs.

All it needs is Duran Duran & Depeche Mode added to it. And Kraftwerk. And New Order.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Roxy Music
The Cure
Stevie Nicks

cool gothy list!

Zombies hella deserve it for Odyssey & Oracle alone

sad that DEVO and Kraftwerk are too cool for these posers tho

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah how is Janet Jackson Rock and Roll?

LL Cool J, John Prine and Devo were all nominated, but failed to make the cut

I'm sorry but that is absolutely criminal that she got in and Prine was overlooked. I saw him live last weekend and it was an amazing show, he's always been my dad's favourite artist and it was great to see him with my dad.

Last edited:
Wait what, The Cure hasn't already been in the Hall of fame?

I'm looking forward to the social justice outrage accusing the band of hate speech and xenophobia without realizing that the song is actually an allusion to Camus' brilliant novel, The Stranger.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wait what, The Cure hasn't already been in the Hall of fame?

I'm looking forward to the social justice outrage accusing the band of hate speech and xenophobia without realizing that the song is actually an allusion to Camus' brilliant novel, The Stranger.

*slaps forehead* I never put 2 and 2 together. Since it was released in the late 70s, I figured it was a commentary on the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East during that time.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Remember rock and roll. Feel sorry for the youth of today with the rap garbage that is shoved down their throats

-hal-

Uh.. no.

Janet Jackson - if your claim to fame is your brother and you managed a few pop hits on your own, then no. Just no.

Stevie Nicks - already in via Fleetwood Mac. That's good enough. While she has a few good soft rockers on her own, she doesn't deserve a solo entry too. For the love of god... Ozzy isn't in solo. Let's not get carried away double-dipping when there are so many more that are worthy.

Janet Jackson - Sure. Her late 80s / 90s work was pretty darn great. She had a lot of hits.

Radiohead - Yes! More than anyone else on this list, IMO, outside of maybe The Cure.

Stevie Nicks - Her solo work outside of some hits isn't strong enough. And she's already in for her band. Pass.

Def Leppard - I missed out on Def Leppard, so I'm not going to judge either way. I'll go with Probably.

The Cure - Yes. Far more than a singles band, which is the main reason I think you should be inducted.

Roxy Music - Probably. I don't know their albums unfortunately, but they were WAY ahead of their time. Love is the Drug was released in 1975 and sounds like it could have been from the early to mid 80s. Along with artists like The Velvet Underground, The Talking Heads, and the previously mentioned The Cure, modern "indie" music owes a LOT to this music

Zombies - Outside of a few truely great singles, I can't think of much that they did. Going to have to pass. If you can't even fill a greatest hits CD, you have no business here. I grew up listening to 60s music, so it's not like it's just too old for me either. A band like Badfinger deserves to be here way more.

Janet Jackson - if your claim to fame is your brother and you managed a few pop hits on your own, then no. Just no.

Looking at her wikipedia page, she has 10 songs that hit number one on the billboard 100 charts. Her Design of a Decade hits CD is just one great pop song after another.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Janet Jackson? I can’t even remember any of her songs. I think she had at least one semi-popular song in the late 80s/early 90s.

Lowering the bar here.

-hal-

Looking at her wikipedia page, she has 10 songs that hit number one on the billboard 100 charts. Her Design of a Decade hits CD is just one great pop song after another.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. There's no denying Ms. Jackson's prowess on the pop charts, but I'd argue the songs don't hold up that well. That's my personal taste, of course.

I'd also argue that, as it relates to rock and roll, her music is marginally important, at best.

A poster above also mentioned she had more #1 albums than MJ, but I be willing to bet most people could name and sing 5 MJ songs with ease. On the other hand, I doubt most people would be able to hum more than a line or two of hers. MJ was an original and displayed an incredible ability to craft complex and memorable songs. Janet rode the wave, imo.

Last edited:

Soltype

We'll have to agree to disagree then. There's no denying Ms. Jackson's prowess on the pop charts, but I'd argue the songs don't hold up that well. That's my personal taste, of course.

I'd also argue that, as it relates to rock and roll, her music is marginally important, at best.

A poster above also mentioned she had more #1 albums than MJ, but I be willing to bet most people could name and sing 5 MJ songs with ease. On the other hand, I doubt most people would be able to hum more than a line or two of hers. MJ was an original and displayed an incredible ability to craft complex and memorable songs. Janet rode the wave, imo.

I could say the same for radiohead, I can't name any of their songs.Crazy how people knocking Janet now, if you were listening to pop when it was good, you were a Janet fan.

Last edited:
I could say the same for radiohead, I can't name any of their songs.Crazy how people knocking Janet now, if you were listening to pop when it was good, you were a Janet fan.

That's a good point. Aside from "creep," which along with "song 2" from Blur may has well been a one hit wonder for 90 percent of people who have heard the song, Radiohead never really got a lot of radio play. My local alternative station plays a couple songs from OK Computer now, but they never did when the album was first released.

Makes since, though. This isn't exactly radio friendly, but it is pretty great:

And this is great as well, in it's own but different way:

I think it's good when people can find comfort in both happy and sad music, and those two artists fit their respective categories quite nicely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom