• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the 150 greatest albums made by women - NPR

Chuckie

I'm really happy Lauryn is so high in the list. Great awesome album. Also happy bout Missy, although it might be a bit too high.

I am a bit surprised Garbage didn't make it, while that shitty Spice Girls did :/

Well at least No Doubt is there.

We know you hate Grimes, but do you really think she's less deserving then even the mediocre pop albums on the list?

Better mediocre pop albums than bad ones. Looking at you, Art Angels.

Nah but Visions would've been an non-surprising and acceptable addition, actually.

And, I think I've clarified this before but I don't hate Grimes, she's just way overrated. I'm glad this list agrees, harsh as it is to get left out of a list that is 150 albums long and only includes English-speaking women's music.

I'm still dumbfounded that Mama's Gun isn't on this list. It's perfect.

No L7, Concrete Blonde, Mazzy Star, or Yo La Tengo (they put Fleetwood Mac on the list so Mazzy and YLT should count), what a damn shame.

How did Wendy Carlos not make this list?

Switched on Bach is one of the albums that made synthesizers popular. I mean, I'm sure they would have caught on eventually, but it's a major album in music history (if not history).

That's some high placement for Lemonade. I only heard it once but I was more impressed with her sister's album. I guess I should revisit it.

The lack of St. Vincent is bullshit.

No Cat Power.

No Janelle Monae? Wtf is wrong with them

Many Moons is the GOAT music video

mf0prspkew0urnfffe5g.gif

tumblr_ltoy0wjoJY1qba7meo1_400.gif

Also nothing by The Knife!

You guys are awesome and have great musical taste and are totally right on.

A few weeks ago I started a YouTube playlist of my favorite female-fronted music, and this list and your posts makes me want to jump back in and finish it up.

-hal-

Was really pleasantly surprised to see The Roches on the list.

Fiona Apple should definitely be higher. Her second album, When the Pawn..., is so incredible.

When the Pawn definitely belongs. Tidal had all the radio hits, but the songwriting in WtP is far superior... not surprising given how young she was when she wrote Tidal. I would even replace Tidal with WtP, if need be.

... and much higher, yes.

KKRT00

Regarding Madonna i think that "Confession On The Dancefloor" was her peak and better than Like A Prayer.

Also no Evanescense love? Fallen album is outstanding.

ghostjoke

Banned
A lot of good stuff but needs more PJ Harvey. Also, no Gits, St. Vincent, or Karin Dreijer Andersson (Knife or Fever Ray, I don't mind)? WTF.

I'm glad to see PJ Harvey so high, although I think To Bring You My Love is by far her best album.

No spice girls???

No Kylie Minogue? Hmmm.

No Eurythmics?

No The Corrs?

Yeah, what the fuuuuck? At first I thought predominantly male bands were disqualified, but that can't be the case with Blondie and Portishead on there.

Seriously; it's probably just an oversight but Kylie absolutely needs to be on there.

Also, with that in consideration I'd say Curve deserve to be on there. Try and tell me that Come Clean (tracks 1, 6 and 13 if you want the highlights) or Cuckoo (2, 10, 11 for highlights) are not fucking belting albums.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nina Simone is overrated. There are a ton of current female jazz singers that should have made the list.

I also I am mixed on bands with iconic woman in the group, but it isn't a woman's group ie the Pixies or Sonic Youth.

MrS

Banned
Not surprised to see Joni at #1 but Bjork's Homogenic should be high on the list, as should Actor by St Vincent and Adore Life by Savages. Warpaint's self-titled album is better than any Beyonce album too.

St. Vincent, Grimes, Cat Power and Courtney Barnett should all be on this list. Come to think of it, so should Feist.

And it needs more PJ Harvey.

I am a bit surprised Garbage didn't make it, while that shitty Spice Girls did :/

I totally forgot about Garbage. The conditions for being on the list seem flaky at best, as all it says in the article description is "This list, of the greatest albums made by women..." and yet they have Fleetwood Mac on there!

You guys are awesome and have great musical taste and are totally right on.

A few weeks ago I started a YouTube playlist of my favorite female-fronted music, and this list and your posts makes me want to jump back in and finish it up.

Thanks; I will give it a listen. I prefer music with female vocalists and I'm always looking for new music to listen to.

I wouldn't expect her to be on this list, but Laurel Halo is one of my favorite artists currently working. She's amazing.

Good to see another person who loves her work. I genuinely believe Quarantine to be one of the best electronic albums that deserves to be on a list like this. New album was really good too..

There isn't a lot of electronic acts on the list which is a shame and shows the standard bias in favor of rock/folk/pop. Though there is quite a bit of hiphop on there.

mclem

I thought number 1 was going to be Lauryn Hill -The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. That joni chick better be dam good,never hard of her.

You've probably heard at least one of her songs. But maybe you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Edit: Not that that's on either of these two!

Ristifer

Good to see another person who loves her work. I genuinely believe Quarantine to be one of the best electronic albums that deserves to be on a list like this. New album was really good too..

There isn't a lot of electronic acts on the list which is a shame and shows the standard bias in favor of rock/folk/pop. Though there is quite a bit of hiphop on there.
I haven't checked out Dust yet, but I've heard good things about it. Wanted to check out Quarantine for a while, but never got around to that either. I have some work to do.

No Patsy Cline, Peggy Lee, or Billie Holiday? Wow.

Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart, absolutely 100% should be on this list too.

Top Bottom