• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the 150 greatest albums made by women - NPR

Slime

Banned
On the plus side, The Raincoats are represented

On the negative, no Mary Timony or Kristin Hersh love

Good effort, but hrm.

EDIT:

The fact that Janelle Monae is not in the Top 10 is a travesty. That she's not on the list at all disqualifies this whole list.

How did I miss this?

Yeah, list is straight garbo.

Minus_Me

The fact that Janelle Monae is not in the Top 10 is a travesty. That she's not on the list at all disqualifies this whole list.

Looks like one of those "dad rock" lists that overvalue old stuff over new great artists, except a few safe mainstream ones that even unhip people know of.

Didn't even notice this. Travesty.

mr2xxx

Banned
Someone needs to explain:

33. Queen Latifah - All Hail The Queen (Tommy Boy, 1989)

Seems like there is plenty of other female MCs you could of replaced her with, Da Brat, Nicki Minaj, Lil Kim, Foxy etc.

Lists are a thing of the past. No-one ever is in agreement with one. Someone who reads a list from a reputable website or magazine will even go to the trouble of rearranging one or two items out of 150, dismissing it as wrong.

In other words: Sleater-Kinney at 81? Whaaat?

I never even heard of that Teena Marie album. I got singles from Naked to the World, Sapphire, Lady T, La Dona, Irons in the Fire, and Must Be Magic on my PC. I would expect It Must Be Magic. Also Songs in a Minor is way too low. It is much better than Lemonade and any album by Missy or Rihanna. Baduizm should be above Lemonade too. That's a top two album for me. If you're going to put one Mary J. Blige album on here, don't fucking put her debut! My Life is her best album. A Seat at the Table I don't completely like, but I found more songs on it that I like than any Beyonce album. Come on!

I'm surprised to actually see La Lupe on a list. Shit, after watching Celia on Netflix I just came on to her. I'm probably the only person on this forum that actually knows of her music though and to tell you the truth I like her music more than Celia's.

zero_suit

I can't disagree with #1. Joni Mitchell is a genius.

Lemonade in the top 10? No.

Hell, Solange's album (A Seat at the Table) is better for starters.

omgkitty

No The Knife, Cibo Matto, Stereolab, Beach House and only one Bjork album, and it's only in the 30's. I find it strange the albums they let in from artists that only have one female lead and those they don't. Some of their album choices are weird too. For Nina Simone, I would argue Pastel Blues is her best.

Soma

unpopular opinion: i feel like James Blake did a better rendition of Joni Mitchell's "Case of You"

Very good list tho.

marrec

Banned
Sleater-Kinney and Fiona Apple not in the top 25 is fucking mind boggling.

Also no CSS. Sure they got a dude in the band but that's a lady band lets face it.

Phased

I'd put Rumours in the top 5 probably, I mean that's flat out one of the greatest albums period without a qualifier, but this list is pretty good.

I can't even think of any notable omissions. I don't think they necessarily got the right albums, but the artist representation is amazing.

Awesome that X-Ray Spex is on the list!

Wag

R-2117924-1295315544.jpeg.jpg

How could they have missed this?

Aretha's there 3 times. Etta is there once.

Yado

Kylie has a few cute songs but her discography is pretty unremarkable. Same goes for Janelle Monae.

Famassu

Kylie has a few cute songs but her discography is pretty unremarkable. Same goes for Janelle Monae.
ArchAndroid is easily one of the best pop albums of all time. That CD does not have a bad, mediocre or even "just good" song on it. Its successor was a bit weaker but this is not a full discography evaluation, but singular albums.

Ziocyte

Only entered this thread to make sure miseducation of Lauryn hill was at the top

lol, I (as it seems many) clicked this thread for the exact same reason.

Edit: Also, it's a travesty that Bjork isn't in the top 30 let alone the top 10. Glad Portishead got some love.

marrec

Banned
The more I think about it the more the lack of CSS is getting to me.

I mean, whatever lists and shit, but still.

Top Bottom