• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the 150 greatest albums made by women - NPR

Yado

ArchAndroid is easily one of the best pop albums of all time. That CD does not have a bad, mediocre or even "just good" song on it. Its successor was a bit weaker but this is not a full discography evaluation, but singular albums.

NPR and I disagree.

fuun4Lg.gif

I haven't listened to a 150, but I'll still make a list of what I can just for fun. I need to listen to Joni Mitchell. I've listened to Got Til It's Gone like 400 times, but it never occurred to me she was an actual artist, she sound like Janet in that song.

1. Baduizm - Erykah Badu
2. Kollage - Bahamadia
3. Live & Aflame Sessions = The Miner's Canary - Akua Naru
5. The Velvet Rope - Janet Jackson
6. The Diary of Alicia Keys - Alicia Keys
7. Songs in a Minor - Alicia Keys
8. Hard Core - Lil' Kim
9. Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol.2 - Jill Scott
10. Live - Erykah Badu
11. Esperanza - Esperanza Spalding
12. My Life - Mary J. Blige
13. Beauty & The Beast - Rapsody
14. The Boombox Diaries - Nitty Scott MC
15. Promise - Sade
16. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
17. Soul Is Heavy - Nneka
18. Vibing High - La Melodia (MC Melodee)
19. One in a Million - Aaliyah
20. Habit That You Blame - Gavlyn
21. It's About Time - SWV
22. The Idea of Beautiful - Rapsody
22. The Black Box - aivi & surasshu
23. She - Alice Smith
24. We Used to Bloom - Denai Moore
25. Ain't No Other - MC Lyte
25. Rebel Soul - Isis (Lin Que)
26. Ill Na Na - Foxy Brown
27. Age Ain't Nothing But a Number - Aaliyah
28. Amor Prohibo - Selena
29. Victim of Truth - Nneka
30. Queen of Latin Soul - La Lupe
31. The Art of Chill - Nitty Scott MC
32. A Good Night in the Ghetto - Kamaiyah
33. Groove Theory - Groove Theory
34. Por Vida - Kali Uchis
35. Frank - Amy Winehouse
36. Mignonne - Taeko Ōnuki
37. Unconquerebel - Hempress Sativa
38. Moon Shoes - Ravyn Lenae
39. All I Have - Amerie
40. From the Art - Gavlyn
41. Coolin/Crunch Time/In My Zone - MC Melodee
42. Nebuchadnezzar - Sa-Roc
43. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
44. Giants - Andreya Triana
45. A Seat at the Table - Solange
46. Charlene - Tweet
47. Voyager - Moonchild
48. Stay Around - Joyce Wrice
49. PRIME - Sammus
50. L.I.F.E. - Nefertiti
51 Cataraps - Akoko
52. Another M - Sammus
53. Aaliyah - Aaliyah
54. Trebel & Reverb - Aaradhna
55. Lost Where I Belong - Andreya Triana
56. Brandy - Brandy
57. Live in London & New York - Corinne Bailey Rae
58. Do You Wanna Ride? - Adina Howard

All I care to rank at the moment.

Servbot24

Banned
ArchAndroid is easily one of the best pop albums of all time. That CD does not have a bad, mediocre or even "just good" song on it. Its successor was a bit weaker but this is not a full discography evaluation, but singular albums.
It's better than some of the albums on that list... but that much praise is way overboard.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am going to chalk it up to personal taste but Lauryn Hill should be number #1. Also Mariah in the 90's is a travesty. Alicia Keyes not in the top 20 ...... scust

Now that I think about it, several alternative singer/songwriters got snubbed. Cat Power, Neko Case, and Suzanne Vega are not really small names. I did not see any of their albums on the list.

No Vashti Bunyan either. This list sucks.

Vashti is honestly a shocking omission. She's really not that obscure, and I would think that NPR is certainly aware of her given what is already on the list.

Someone needs to explain:

33. Queen Latifah - All Hail The Queen (Tommy Boy, 1989)

Seems like there is plenty of other female MCs you could of replaced her with, Da Brat, Nicki Minaj, Lil Kim, Foxy etc.

I cannot sit here and let you seriously recommend ranking a Da Brat album as a top 150 greatest albums made by women. Not only that, but straight up taking Queen Latifah off the list to do it. smdh.

I fuck with Funkdafied, but I'll put the damn theme song to Living Single over that any day.

marrec

Banned
NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts are good shit though. Found some good artists through them.

Hell yea, I mean this list is basically just curated from fav albums of people they asked. This isn't some critically examined thing, just a popularity contest. Which is fine and actually the list did turn out pretty good all things considered.

eso76

I wonder why these lists are always restricted to albums with lyrics in English. And it's not even acknowledged, not even a disclaimer explaining their choice like it's the default option.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
no Grouper either

fuckin hell NPR
They're more like mainstream hip hop, but not mainstream pop, early 60/70s, and then a sprinkle of oddities.

I wouldn't consider NPR actually listing indie artists that they wouldn't play anyway.

Galang

Banned
This list is way too overly nostalgic and completely misses the mark imo. They pretty much ignored the past two decades of music which has A LOT of great albums that deserve to be on this list. Also M.I.A's Kala should have easily made the top 10.

rrs

how did like a prayer get in with only one song fully written by madonna and the rest who's who of pop writers.

If that counts, why not Garbage?

That's some high placement for Lemonade. I only heard it once but I was more impressed with her sister's album. I guess I should revisit it.

The lack of St. Vincent is bullshit.

Famassu

It's better than some of the albums on that list... but that much praise is way overboard.
It's just a near perfect, varied mix of funky, slower ballady, chilling, rocking & even some proge-ish pop tunes. I mean, the only fault I can find in the album is that it's perhaps a bit too long. Not that any song is bad, but maybe a couple of songs could've been taken off to make for a tighter whole.

Besides some of the more obvious omissions already mentioned, I'm surprised Christina Aguilera's Stripped wasn't on this. I felt it was a damn good pop album.

Gloria Estefan was another surprising omission, I get she's kinda forgotten but she was a HUGE artist in the 80's and early 90's. I'm sure at least one of her albums, either solo or as Miami Sound Machine should have at least gotten a mention.

Where the fuck is Grimes?
She's not on the list, and I agree with that call; the work on this list is more influential and unique.

Not that there aren't some notable snubs. No St. Vincent is a straight up mistake. But these are arguable points, of course.

I love the B-52s but given Fred's role up front it seems like they could've made room for a more female-oriented project. Also not really sure it was necessary to include the Spice Girls over some more artistic, uh... artists.

DiscoJer

How did Wendy Carlos not make this list?

Switched on Bach is one of the albums that made synthesizers popular. I mean, I'm sure they would have caught on eventually, but it's a major album in music history (if not history).

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
She's not on the list, and I agree with that call; the work on this list is more influential and unique.

Not that there aren't some notable snubs. No St. Vincent is a straight up mistake. But these are arguable points, of course.

I love the B-52s but given Fred's role up front it seems like they could've made room for a more female-oriented project.
We know you hate Grimes, but do you really think she's less deserving then even the mediocre pop albums on the list?

Briarios

The fact that Janelle Monae is not in the Top 10 is a travesty. That she's not on the list at all disqualifies this whole list.

Looks like one of those "dad rock" lists that overvalue old stuff over new great artists, except a few safe mainstream ones that even unhip people know of.

I was going to post that I thought The ArchAndroid should be on the list ...

Also, Liz Phair should be closer to the Top 20, if not in it.

Speely

Banned
No Regina Spektor at all? At least 2 of her records should be in that top 20.

AND WHERE IS SADÉ?

Sade is on there. Regina should DEFINITELY be there as well, but it doesn't appear that she is :(

Good list, the order notwithstanding (we would all obv reorder it a bit.) Nice selection of artists. Extra props for Diamanda Galas. Didn't expect to see her in there. Also hell yes for Against Me!

I really can't believe they left out Pat Benatar, though. She was pretty influential in her time and her music has endured on countless generic radio stations. Sloppy omission, imo.

Personal gripes:

St. Vincent should also be on there imo. I would personally love to also see some others but I understand why they aren't there (Marina, Grimes, Amanda Palmer.)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Slits and ESG should have been higher.
Bjork too, and more than 1 entry.

Nico has a decent spot. Love that album.
And good for Selena.

Ozigizo

Tracy Chapman should be in the top 10. She was incredibly influential to the entire industry when the self-titled album came out.

Top Bottom