• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the 150 greatest albums made by women - NPR

MrS

Banned
Amazed nobody has mentioned Esthero - Breath From Another yet. A fantastic album.

Lemonade is nowhere near as good as Jagged Little Pill either.

Parch

Also, 'made by women', what's the definition? I would argue that a lot of modern-pop stuff is mostly produced and often (co) written by males. Bands like Blondie and Fleetwood Mac aren't "females only".
Lots of great albums there but yeah, this is true. "Made by women" is a bit deceptive in a lot of those choices. They might have been the lead singer in the band but made by? Yeah no. The writing and music were dudes.

DiscoJer

Ctrl+f "Aimee Mann - I'm With Stupid"
One of the best debuts of all time... not there...

That was her second solo album.

Whatever was her first and is much better, IMHO. It was on an indie label, but it was readily available and she had some charting with it.

Good list tbh.

I'll listen to Joni Mitchell later today. I understand the Madonna pick there since it's probably her most influential album, but I would have placed Erotica or Ray of Light in its place if we're going by album quality and influence.

I feel like Bjork and Kate Bush should be higher up, but that's just me

Edit: I also understand Fever Ray and The Knife not being on there, but I wish it weren't so

Zach

I've listened to half of these now. I'm rating 1-10 for funsies as I go along. Average rating so far: 6.41. And here are the standouts (8+ rating):

Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney
New York Tendaberry by Laura Nyro
Diamonds & Rust by Joan Baez
Journey in Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane
Los Angeles by X
It's My Way! by Buffy Sainte-Marie
Come Away with ESG by ESG
Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt >_>
Transgender Dysphoria Blues by Against Me!
Young, Gifted and Black by Aretha Franklin
Cut by The Slits
Hejira by Joni Mitchell
Tidal by Fiona Apple
Broken English by Marianne Faithfull
I Am Shelby Lynne by Shelby Lynne
A Seat at the Table by Solange
Last Splash by The Breeders

Over half of those are first-listens, so this has been a worthwhile project, I'd say.

megalowho

Missed this thread the first go round but shoutout to Bobbi Humphrey, Minnie Riperton and Patrice Rushen, all who have albums that'd be in my top 50.

Bobbi especially, she did fantastic work on Blue Note in the 70's with the Mizell Brothers. Blacks and Blues, Satin Doll, Fancy Dancer, take your pick - all classics.

Zach

I'm still shocked at the exclusion of St Vincent.

I've seen this person, but I've never listened to an album. I see she was born in Tulsa -- as was I -- and that she's done an album with David Byrne -- as have I -- so maybe I should check her out.

Note: I may not have actually done an album with David Byrne.

Snagret

I feel like Bjork and Kate Bush should be higher up, but that's just me

Edit: I also understand Fever Ray and The Knife not being on there, but I wish it weren't so
The Knife I get, but Fever Ray should totally be on there imo. Pretty decent list regardless if you don't put too much stock in the positions. Modern choices are a bit whack though.

PillarEN

Melt-Banana

Where

A little too damn foreign without the album sales/international mainstream prestige to overlook that.

Where is my Crystal Castles II? Literally half of the group is female. Sonic Youth is only 1/4 female. OK I get it. NPR didn't think the album was good enough.

EDIT: That Against Me! record is not anywhere close to being top 150 of all time for records made by women. It's not even a top 3 record from the band if we are being honest here.

Missed this thread the first go round but shoutout to Bobbi Humphrey, Minnie Riperton and Patrice Rushen, all who have albums that'd be in my top 50.

Bobbi especially, she did fantastic work on Blue Note in the 70's with the Mizell Brothers. Blacks and Blues, Satin Doll, Fancy Dancer, take your pick - all classics.

Exactly. One of the first three Minnie albums easily surpasses the Against Me! record selected. Minnie should have been there for sure.

EDIT: On the other hand I am being way too negative. The list itself does have plenty worthwhile of material that would last the average listener weeks.

Zach

EDIT: That Against Me! record is not anywhere close to being top 150 of all time for records made by women. It's not even a top 3 record from the band if we are being honest here.

It might be their best album. If I'm being honest here. Which I am.

using the 150 list of artist i fixed the top 25. changing the albums for some
and added 1 missing artist

1. Fiona Apple - Tidal (Work Group/Clean Slate/Columbia, 1996)
2. Janis Joplin - Pearl (Columbia, 1971)
3. Lauryn Hill -The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1998)
4. Portishead - Portishead (1997)
5. Dolly Parton - Touch Your Woman
6. Bjork - Homogenic (1997)
7. Janis Joplin - Pearl (Columbia, 1971)
8. Janet Jackson - Janet. (1993)
9. Missy Elliott - Supa Dupa Fly (The Goldmind/Elektra, 1997)
10. Erykah Badu - Baduizm (Universal, 1997)
11. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (Blue Note, 2002)
12. Diana Ross and the Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go (Motown, 1964)
13. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man The Way I Loved You (Atlantic, 1967)
14. Kittie - Spit (2000)
15. Mary J. Blige - My Life (1994)
16. Sade - Diamond Life (Sony, 1984)
17. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom (Interscope, 1995)
18. TLC - CrazySexyCool (LaFace, 1994)
19. Selena - Amor Prohibido (EMI Latin, 1994)
20. Mariah Carey - Butterfly
21. Tracy Chapman - Crossroads (Elektra, 1989)
22. Da Brat - Funkdafied (1994)
23. Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls (Epic, 1989)
24. Nina Simone - I Put A Spell on You (Philips, 1965)
25. Salt-N-Pepa - Very Necessary (London, 1993

Zach

Really? Well then I'm going to have to fight you. That string of records from the first half of the 2000s is tough to beat in my eyes for Against Me!

Those are great albums, too. Love 'em all. But Transgender Dysphoria Blues is a triumph. I dunno. Just seems silly to act like it has absolutely no business on someone's -- anyone's -- Top 150 list.

theres like no chinese singers

Hit me with a recommendation. The absolute best album by a Chinese woman (or women).

PillarEN

Those are great albums, too. Love 'em all. But Transgender Dysphoria Blues is a triumph. I dunno. Just seems silly to act like it has absolutely no business on someone's -- anyone's -- Top 150 list.

Ha yeah. I sort of felt like I was a little mean so I decided to make that last edit to sort of put myself in check.

Zenner

Happy to see Siouxie & the Banshees in there; would have preferred Kaleidoscope or Juju as a more iconic album, though.

using the 150 list of artist i fixed the top 25. changing the albums for some
and added 1 missing artist

1. Fiona Apple - Tidal (Work Group/Clean Slate/Columbia, 1996)
2. Janis Joplin - Pearl (Columbia, 1971)
3. Lauryn Hill -The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1998)
4. Portishead - Portishead (1997)
5. Dolly Parton - Touch Your Woman
6. Bjork - Homogenic (1997)
7. Janis Joplin - Pearl (Columbia, 1971)
8. Janet Jackson - Janet. (1993)
9. Missy Elliott - Supa Dupa Fly (The Goldmind/Elektra, 1997)
10. Erykah Badu - Baduizm (Universal, 1997)
11. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (Blue Note, 2002)
12. Diana Ross and the Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go (Motown, 1964)
13. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man The Way I Loved You (Atlantic, 1967)
14. Kittie - Spit (2000)
15. Mary J. Blige - My Life (1994)
16. Sade - Diamond Life (Sony, 1984)
17. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom (Interscope, 1995)
18. TLC - CrazySexyCool (LaFace, 1994)
19. Selena - Amor Prohibido (EMI Latin, 1994)
20. Mariah Carey - Butterfly
21. Tracy Chapman - Crossroads (Elektra, 1989)
22. Da Brat - Funkdafied (1994)
23. Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls (Epic, 1989)
24. Nina Simone - I Put A Spell on You (Philips, 1965)
25. Salt-N-Pepa - Very Necessary (London, 1993

No Kate Bush - Hounds of Love 1985? :(

Where's Marina and the Diamonds?

She should be on the list. Someone back me up on this.
Don't ever expect to see her on any list, ever. People forget about her so easily and sadly she doesn't even get a fraction of the recognition she deserves. The only album of hers that is good enough to potentially be on this list is The Family Jewels. That album was a brilliant mess. Her second album was trash, and the third was good, but did not even come close to the brilliance of TFJ.

psyfi

Banned
jagged little pill and Tidal got robbed of top 10
I adore Tidal and JLP is really good, but neither are top ten.

Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas is my number one.
ILlzS.gif

Zach

I will listen to all of these albums EVEN IF IT KILLS ME.

I did it! Here are the albums I rated 8 out of ten or better:

xzyXkoW.png
WZai5SM.png

That took longer than expected, but it finally made me get around to some really great stuff that I hadn't listened to before. Glad I did it!

97. Mariah Carey - Daydream (Columbia Records, 1995)

/thread

Legit so happy to see Daydream on the list. That album changed my entire childhood, and I still listen to it. Underneath the Stars is especially catchy IMO.

Also really happy to see Lauryn Hill in the top 10. Lately I've been thinking she doesn't get enough credit, so that's great. Janet Jackson, as well!

Also really happy about Robyn. Body Talk was an all-around solid album.

I agree with much of the top 10, and I love Joni Mitchell, but I don't know if that album would be my #1 out of 150 albums tbh. To each their own I suppose. Music is supposed to be subjective, and that's what makes it beautiful

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did it! Here are the albums I rated 8 out of ten or better:

xzyXkoW.png
WZai5SM.png

That took longer than expected, but it finally made me get around to some really great stuff that I hadn't listened to before. Glad I did it!

Out of these, my god is Grace Jones' Nightclubbing a masterpiece or what? It's amazing. Surprised PJ Harvey only got one 8+ from you, but it depends on the original list.

I dated Liz Phair briefly for a time. Good album, too.

Good to see Madonna's early stuff on there. Masterpieces.

Top Bottom