• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the 150 greatest albums made by women - NPR

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No spice girls???

lauryn hill at #2 is pretty dope

I was getting pissed, was reading the list backwards....was like wtf, where is Lauryn Hill?!?!

They have good taste. :)

For Mary J, I woulda chose My Life instead of Whats the 411. Good choice tho.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Heard the interview on NPR this AM. A bunch of women voted on this, of all backgrounds and ages. That's good to hear. Overall a solid list.

jroc74

Only entered this thread to make sure miseducation of Lauryn hill was at the top

Same.

Wait a min, Alicia Keys way at the bottom....and Beyonce's Lemonade waaay at the top?

I would choose an older Beyonce album over Lemonade... wtf...

Not sure about their taste in music now...lol

Missing:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Agnus Obel
Regina Spektor
Goldfrapp

These are my top plays on my iphone and they're all missing from that list :(

Edit: no mention of Evanescence either?!?

No Kate Bush in the top 10? Delete this.

gZadPUI.gif

Came in expecting shit and ... that's pretty good. Needs more Heart.

Evanescence definitely should be on there for their first LP.

No Francois Hardy? And they could have picked a better SY album to represent Kim.

Nice seeing two of my favs, Laura Nyro and Alice Coltrane, almost next to each other tho

Hounds of Love too low. Should be in the top 10.
THANK YOU. This should have been the first goddamn post

Great Scott Walker avatar btw

Blue is definitely my #1.

Beyonce being above Carole King's Tapestry is a crime.

My top 3 would probably go:

1) Blue
2) Tapestry
3) Horses

So, at least those are all in the top 10.

Where's the country music singers? Females do really well in that genre. I can't stand country music, but it seems like an odd omission.

SomTervo

Good list, but definitely some startling omissions.

It's always annoying when you can tell an author/team's tastes have gaps from lists like this. Like there are whole wings of a genre, or indeed whole genres, they've just not caught on with.

I thought number 1 was going to be Lauryn Hill -The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. That joni chick better be dam good,never hard of her.

lol

Crazyorloco

Before looking into the is thread I expected Lauryn up there. That lauryn hill album is so freaking good to this day. It deserves to be up there. It's a shame she hasn't released a real album since.

I'm going to check out that Joni Mitchell one now.

Before looking into the is thread I expected Lauryn up there. That lauryn hill album is so freaking good to this day. It deserves to be up there. It's a shame she hasn't released a real album since.

Yea. It seems like she had a bad experience with her team/label of you listen to some of her more relatively recent interviews. I guess business politics can be awful. But , if I recall correctly, that's why Robyn started her own label to facilitate her amazing comeback.

Carn82

no Imogen Heap, so #fakelist

Also, 'made by women', what's the definition? I would argue that a lot of modern-pop stuff is mostly produced and often (co) written by males. Bands like Blondie and Fleetwood Mac aren't "females only".

psyfi

Banned
Post is my favourite Bjork album. She should have been way higher but they got the right album in there imo.
I don't think Post is a bad pick, I just think it's short changing her. I don't see how anyone could say Post is worth being on the list but Homogenic isn't (Vespertine and Debut too, to a lesser degree).

Same for Tori Amos. Little Earthquakes but no Boys for Pele?

jroc74

I just realized the Velvet Rope is missing too! okay this list is good but it's got some issues

Yea. I kinda understand why they picked Whats the 411 and Control, but I liked later albums by Mary J and Janet too, if not more.

I would pick My Life and Rhythm Nation over whats on the list for those 2 artist.

Lemonade being so high is crazy.

Top Bottom