• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac nominated for Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just days after Bob Dylan won the Literary Nobel Prize. Some artists are good enough to win awards that transcend categories I guess.

(CNN)Music lovers, get ready to rock the vote.

The 2017 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have been announced, and this year's group has something for almost everyone.

This year's first-time nominees are Bad Brains, Depeche Mode, Electric Light Orchestra, Jane's Addiction, Joan Baez, Journey, Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf and Tupac Shakur.
They join past nominees who are back on the list: Chaka Khan, Chic, Janet Jackson, J. Geils Band, Joe Tex, Kraftwerk, MC5, The Cars, The Zombies and Yes.
To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released their first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. The 2017 nominees had to release their first recording no later than 1991, and this year marks Pearl Jam and Shakur's first shot at eligibility.
Fans can cast one vote a day through December 5 by visiting Rockhall.com.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/18/entertainment/rock-hall-of-fame-2017-nominees/

Where's Biggie Smalls tho?

SheHateMe

B.I.G. first recording is in '93.

He'll be eligible next year. EDIT: or 2018.

Pac will get in. This, I'm certain of.

border

I know Tupac isn't the first, but at what point did the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame decide that they were going to start nominating people who had nothing to do with Rock n' Roll?

Like, at this point, could any musician get in? Kenny G? Enya? Deadmau5? New Order?

I know Tupac isn't the first, but at what point did the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame decide that they were going to start nominating people who had nothing to do with Rock n' Roll?

Like, at this point, could any musician get in? Kenny G? Enya? Deadmau5?

I do hope Skrillex gets in one day.

Like, at this point, could any musician get in? Kenny G? Enya? Deadmau5?
I like to think it's to troll the racist disco demolition night assholes that have been keeping Chic out of the hall of fame for over a decade now

Obscura

No Motörhead, no Judas Priest... But they include Tupac?

If it wasn't already a joke of an institution I'd be kind of pissed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ELO, Journey, Tupac, and Pearl Jam should be first-ballot HOFers.

LionPride

Banned
If only Tupac was a really good rapper and not someone overrated because of their death

That's really an issue for a few artists

Glass Joe

I'm all for a hip-hop music Hall of Fame. And also a "pop-music" Hall of Fame. But electing Tupac into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame? I guess I just don't get it.

Like, at this point, could any musician get in? Kenny G? Enya? Deadmau5? New Order?

Is James Brown considered rock? He was inducted its first year.

Matty77

Nice list of nominees actually.

As for the OP while I am mixed on Tupac himself (very influential, not an actual fan of most of his work though) Rap does belong because it was the spirit of Rock and Roll at a point when Rock and punk had sold out and died, and continued to sell out by whoring the corpses.

And DM belongs in there for violator alone, never mind Music for the Masses and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

border

Is James Brown considered rock? He was inducted its first year.

Rhythm and blues has a whole hell of a lot to do with rock n' roll though. People like Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, and James Brown probably do belong there.

I am kinda just curious if there is actually any kind of required criteria for nominees, other than they must have gotten their start more than 25 years ago.

eloestmn

If only Tupac was a really good rapper and not someone overrated because of their death

That's really an issue for a few artists

Most of Pac's catalogue is HOT garbage. I feel that way due to his mediocre production. He had a good flow lyrically but thats about it.

border

It's strangely more specific and narrow than I thought it would be.

"Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll."

I'm not sure how you can make a case that Tupac had any influence on the evolution of rock n' roll, though it seems clear at this point they are just nominating the most popular musicians of whatever era the eligibility period allows for.

Glass Joe

They join past nominees who are back on the list: Chaka Khan, Chic, Janet Jackson, J. Geils Band, Joe Tex, Kraftwerk, MC5, The Cars, The Zombies and Yes.

The J. Geils Band? They only had 2 or 3 "hit" songs. None of which I'd call influential.

New Order released tons of rock songs. Then there's the fact that they started as Joy Division.

Trent/Nine Inch Nails have been snubbed this year. Downright shame he didn't get in the past two years, he deserves a space before a lot of these artists or bands that will be eligible next year. He's managed to stay relevant and successful compared to his 90s era counterparts.

Acorn

I don't give a damn about this but I hope he gets in for glorious old racist rocker tears.

Their tears are one of the finest blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom