• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac nominated for Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Dre play a major part in challenging 90's Boom Bap? His sound was uniquely West Coast, obviously

I mean it took awhile, I remember there was a sentiment that gangsta rap was trash not only from how basic and to the point it was, but also the negative lyrics. That whole Death Row movement from the Chronic on changed a lot of minds.

The South had it worst though, that's why it's ironic that everybody is mimicking Atlanta's sound.

I remember at the time Outkast dropped their debut album, Russell Simmons claimed it wasn't "real" hip hop. LOL

I mean it took awhile, I remember there was a sentiment that gangsta rap was trash not only from how basic and to the point it was, but also the negative lyrics. That whole Death Row movement from the Chronic on changed a lot of minds.

The South had it worst though, that's why it's ironic that everybody is mimicking Atlanta's sound.

I remember at the time Outkast dropped their debut album, Russell Simmons claimed it wasn't "real" hip hop. LOL

Ah yes, I have read about the South not getting its due at the time. Outkast not getting props is hard to believe. On an unrelated note, even to this day, some wacky people think that Outkast is a pop one hit wonder from the 00s.

Sadly, I grew up in the Soulja Boy era.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm Ok with The Smiths not being in the HOF given Morrissey's stance on shit like that. One of my favorite bands ever.

That's true; Morrissey probably wouldn't show, or if he did he'd say some embarrassing shit. But my point was that, going by HoF standards for entry, The Cure, The Smiths, and Sonic Youth have had more influence on rock music and had a higher quality body of work than most bands in the HoF. But they're ignored because they aren't mainstream successes.

I still don't know how Public Enemy got inducted. That blows my mind that a bunch of old white guys voted for them.

Bruh, there are much bigger fish to fry; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to induct Rosetta Tharpe, the Godmother of Rock and Roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB_1OBWskU

Yeah, I don't think Big Mama Thornton is in, either. Without her, Elvis wouldn't have done his inferior version of Hound Dog.

LionPride

Banned
Ah yes, I have read about the South not getting its due at the time. Outkast not getting props is hard to believe. On an unrelated note, even to this day, some wacky people think that Outkast is a pop one hit wonder from the 00s.

Sadly, I grew up in the Soulja Boy era.

I sing the praises of Outkast on a weekly basis at my school, thankfully being in the south most people who listen to rap already acknowledge how talented they were

C4Lukins

I wish I could create it, but because I cannot, can someone make a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame topic that is not just about 2Pac? There are lots of other interesting stories to be had about the various people nominated.

That being said he is going to get in first ballot first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom