• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac nominated for Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

If only Tupac was a really good rapper and not someone overrated because of their death

That's really an issue for a few artists

FOH with this newjack sacred cow roasting nonsense

No Motörhead, no Judas Priest... But they include Tupac?

If it wasn't already a joke of an institution I'd be kind of pissed.

he's better than them tho

Most of Pac's catalogue is HOT garbage. I feel that way due to his mediocre production. He had a good flow lyrically but thats about it.

yeah i love his earlier stuff but it's dated from the questionable production choices, the first half of Me Against the World definitely improves that, and Quik/Daz/co do some solid work on a number of tracks off All Eyez, shame the latter had too much outlawz features

I don't give a damn about this but I hope he gets in for glorious old racist rocker tears.

Their tears are one of the finest blends.

+1

IrishNinja

...well, okay
dude's still in my personal top 10 (it was really cool seeing him grow & develop as an artist on those albums in a short time) but i get that he's not gonna be on everyone else's

i imagine this is how all the Em fans here in OT feel sometimes. like, okay, i get that you think dude's overrated, but he's still quite good

LionPride

Banned
...well, okay
dude's still in my personal top 10 (it was really cool seeing him grow & develop as an artist on those albums in a short time) but i get that he's not gonna be on everyone else's

i imagine this is how all the Em fans here in OT feel sometimes. like, okay, i get that you think dude's overrated, but he's still quite good

As a lyricist, Eminem is one of the greatest. As a rapper with sustained, good music? Hell to the no.

I honestly think Pac much like Cobain, is overrated musically because of their untimely deaths

Onemic

As a lyricist, Eminem is one of the greatest. As a rapper with sustained, good music? Hell to the no.

I honestly think Pac much like Cobain, is overrated musically because of their untimely deaths

just....stop

Both may be overrated because of their deaths, but both were pretty damn great at what they did. (More so Cobain imo)

Being overrated and being great are not mutually exclusive.

LionPride

Banned
just....stop

Both may be overrated because of their deaths, but both were pretty damn great at what they did. (More so Cobain imo)

Being overrated and being great are not mutually exclusive.

I disagree. I think they were both good at what they did, Cobain more than Pac, but I see too many put them in a conversation for GOAT in their respective fields.

That ain't right

Flo_Evans

I forget what band it was but from what they said the entire thing is just a money grab. Was going to cost them like $10k to accept thier entry so they just told them to fuck off.

If only Tupac was a really good rapper and not someone overrated because of their death

That's really an issue for a few artists

He is the greatest of all time, the general consensus is that as well. Death had nothing to do with that, he was already loved when alive.

gappvembe

Hopefully they pan in on Gene Simmons while Hologram Pac accepts the award and spits in his face.

1328700.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OTfzmJT8m1s

LionPride

Banned
He is the greatest of all time, the general consensus is that as well. Death had nothing to do with that, he was already loved when alive.

I'm positive we've gone over this before, I sure as hell will never put Pac as my GOAT for rap. Being loved doesn't mean a person isn't propelled to extreme heights post death.

I'm positive we've gone over this before, I sure as hell will never put Pac as my GOAT for rap. Being loved doesn't mean a person isn't propelled to extreme heights post death.

Almost anyone will be propelled after death, that logic is flawed. I don't care if you don't put him there since the majority do.

IrishNinja

i think both put out some of their finest work at the very end, and made people that much sadder to not see where they'dve taken it

i gauge artists on their works more than their potential, but i get this point

I think Janet deserves it more than him she been getting fucked over for years over a damn titty.

i'm also okay with this

yeah there's this narrative for years now that Pac only blew up after his death, you can tell who wasn't into the genre in the early to mid 90s

LionPride

Banned
i think both put out some of their finest work at the very end, and made people that much sadder to not see where they'dve taken it

i gauge artists on their works more than their potential, but i get this point

i'm also okay with this

yeah there's this narrative for years now that Pac only blew up after his death, you can tell who wasn't into the genre in the early to mid 90s

Almost anyone will be propelled after death, that logic is flawed. I don't care if you don't put him there since the majority do.

I know how loved Pac was before death, I honestly think it wasn't warranted based off of his music he had at the time though. I've given it that college try in regards to Pac, but much like Nas, Common, or countless other rappers, I just don't like his music and don't believe he deserves to be called the greatest of all time

They should just change the name at this point. They started adding people who influenced Rock and now they're just adding anyone of note.

Tupac deserves to be in a general music HOF though.

The bigger news is Bad Brains being nominated though. If anyone deserves to get in it's them. They put out the best Hardcore Punk record of all time and helped shape an entire genre.
I forget what band it was but from what they said the entire thing is just a money grab. Was going to cost them like $10k to accept thier entry so they just told them to fuck off.
Sounds like the Sex Pistols.

LionPride

Banned
Jealousy and delusional is real breh.

Jealously and delusion over what? I don't like the guys music, he was definitely propped up to GOAT status after he died. From a music standpoint, he ain't the greatest. He just isn't. Maybe I'd think differently if I was around at the time, but he just isn't an artist I really enjoy.

Saganator

What's going on in this thread...GAF no longer likes Tupac?

Don't fret, it's just one guy who thinks his opinion holds more weight than millions of people...

I know how loved Pac was before death, I honestly think it wasn't warranted based off of his music he had at the time though. I've given it that college try in regards to Pac, but much like Nas, Common, or countless other rappers, I just don't like his music and don't believe he deserves to be called the greatest of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom