• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver (Saints Row/Metro/Dead Island): No Wii U games from us

Schnozberry

Not surprising. They just blew a lot of capital mopping up THQ games and they can't afford to bet on a questionable market. He was even honest enough to say they aren't going next gen right away. Better be ready to keep those 360's and PS3's plugged in a few more years. I don't think this will be a minority opinion.

You are misunderstanding me. I was reacting to his comment about the game not coming to Wii U being no big loss. The game not coming to Wii U doesnt bother me at all in the sense that I would not be buying it.
However just because I might not be interested in it doesnt mean having the game on the system wouldnt benefit the system and the people who own it.

That would require them seeing the forest for the trees, which is a lot to ask considering Nintendo can't seem to do that themselves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's what it means, yeah. He stated it quite openly and it's even quoted in the OP, which you apparently didn't read.
But I did. Please don't make false accusations without proof. Please note the edit.

And he says they're not dealing with Nintendo so all that's left is the Vita (and the Ouya HA HA HA).

squidyj

yea, if you want to say something positive about Wii U you really need to dress your opinion up in a Kaz avatar. it's viral marketing 101.

it might help when you're not saying nice things but instead being dismissive of and derisive towards any and all detractors.

You are misunderstanding me. I was reacting to his comment about the game not coming to Wii U being no big loss. The game not coming to Wii U doesnt bother me at all in the sense that I would not be buying it.
However just because I might not be interested in it doesnt mean having the game on the system wouldnt benefit the system and the people who own it.
Well you have to look at the big picture here. If someone could make a comment like that why would they need to have this game on Wii U anyways. Just to fatten the games it has? Even if no one buys it?

Dicer

Banned
So when they close up shop I can feel slightly less bad about it...

Devs love to discount Nintendo, worked like a charm for so many of them last gen. Studios could have easily put smaller budgets into Wii projects and made some money, but they blew their wads on HD projects and then folded. Personally, I'd love to have my projects on as many platforms as possible, because the market is not so cut and dry sometimes.

EDarkness

I think that's part of it, sure. Nintendo's console (not handheld) sales have been unimpressive for quite some time now and there's zero momentum in that sector. When determining if bringing a game/games to a platform is worthwhile, it's worth considering install bases and sales trends... which have been pointing to X360 and PS3.

But the COO's comment about not reaching Nintendo audiences is also fair. The reasoning is that it's a device for children and for families, and that content like Dead Island and Saints Row wouldn't float. If Nintendo doesn't like the stereotype, that's where Iwata and company need to sit publishers down and try to convince them that it's not so narrow.

You would think that sales would bear this out. I highly doubt that the shovelware stuff has been selling well on the Wii U. Aren't the top selling games on the system all "core" games?

Either way, I don't really like Nintendo games to be honest. I haven't finished a Mario game in years and I don't buy any of their other games. However, I hate being stereotyped. Every time someone says that people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games or kiddy games I just get pissed off. It's silly shit. If these guys make compelling software and don't patronize the userbase, then people would easily jump in. These comments reek of fanboyism and it's tiring.

Just read Miiverse comments. People WANT "core" games. There's a market there, and I bet the Wii U would be doing better if there was simply more software coming. But these crazy comments that people who buy Nintendo hardware are the kiddie is sad.

They don't want to make games on the Wii U? Fine, but if their reasoning is that Nintendo is kiddie, then I simply refuse to buy their games on any system.

Darryl

Banned
it might help when you're not saying nice things but instead being dismissive of and derisive towards any and all detractors.

i'm being dismissive towards someone who is openly being dismissive of others entirely on their avatar usage. that is such a shallow thing to do that i really don't care if it upsets you.

Deep Silver on Wii U: Not right now, the install base is too small. You can expect us there in the future.
Deep Silver on the twins: You can expect us there, but not from the start (.. in the future)

Public Perception: Deep Silver will never be on Wii U, but you can expect them on PS4/720!1!

Petrae

You would think that sales would bear this out. I highly doubt that the shovelware stuff has been selling well on the Wii U. Aren't the top selling games on the system all "core" games?

Either way, I don't really like Nintendo games to be honest. I haven't finished a Mario game in years and I don't buy any of their other games. However, I hate being stereotyped. Every time someone says that people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games or kiddy games I just get pissed off. It's silly shit. If these guys make compelling software and don't patronize the userbase, then people would easily jump in. These comments reek of fanboyism and it's tiring.

Just read Miiverse comments. People WANT "core" games. There's a market there, and I bet the Wii U would be doing better if there was simply more software coming. But these crazy comments that people who buy Nintendo hardware are the kiddie is sad.

They don't want to make games on the Wii U? Fine, but if their reasoning is that Nintendo is kiddie, then I simply refuse to buy their games on any system.

That's a fair counter. Honestly, it does suck to be stereotyped as a Nintendo platform owner as being too young or having strict family values where games like Saints Row aren't really appealing. Obviously, that's not true; mature games have some place on the WiiU. Resident Evil Revelations is making an appearance. Watch_Dogs (is that the right syntax?) too.

I do think, though, that Nintendo brass has to step to third-party pubs and remind them of this diversity. Do something to break the stereotype. I think we can arguably point fingers at both DS and Nintendo here, honestly.

Devs love to discount Nintendo, worked like a charm for so many of them last gen. Studios could have easily put smaller budgets into Wii projects and made some money, but they blew their wads on HD projects and then folded. Personally, I'd love to have my projects on as many platforms as possible, because the market is not so cut and dry sometimes.

I think you're being a bit harsh on them here; they're not EA with sand in their vaginas about nintendo for some mysterious reason - they're a b-tier publisher who mostly sell niche titles, not AAA blockbusters.

Given they'd feel lucky to sell to 1% of a userbase, it makes sense why they're not supporting WiiU yet (or Nextbox or PS4).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well the strategy kind of made sense last gen. The collective audience of two systems was larger than that of one.

However this ignored factors like competition (360 owners are only go to buy so many FPSs a year) and budget (clearly some companies could handle HD development across two system and may have been better off sticking with their older SD engines).

It will be interesting to see if lessons have been learnt. Deep Silver seems to be playing it very cautiously and not putting all their eggs in one basket just yet.

Meelow

Banned
I think it's just because the Wii U has a small install base, they even said that they aren't jumping on the PS4/720 ship at launch, so I think if/when the Wii U sales get better they will start making Wii U games.

They did say that comment I posted on page 2.

Deep Silver did just pick up THQ's IP's and they aren't the biggest devs/pubs around (they also admit that).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thats why you buy 2 systems. Wii U then something else. Im sorry but I understand these developers. I have a Wii U but a 360. I bought BO2, Sonic racing, and next week injustice on 360. Of course I have my reasons and the devs have theirs.
It's sad but we do have 2 other competent platforms coming other than WiiU.

Just to be clear I wasn't saying the games are bad, just I really have no interest in either.

Understood :)

Dicer

Banned
I think you're being a bit harsh on them here; they're not EA with sand in their vaginas about nintendo for some mysterious reason - they're a b-tier publisher who mostly sell niche titles, not AAA blockbusters.

Given they'd feel lucky to sell to 1% of a userbase, it makes sense why they're not supporting WiiU yet (or Nextbox or PS4).

Mid-tier games all but went away this gen, everything was sold as an AAA title or was some indie affair. The real issue is middle tier studios really need a place back in the market...or they would if there were really many left.

squidyj

i'm being dismissive towards someone who is openly being dismissive of others entirely on their avatar usage. that is such a shallow thing to do that i really don't care if it upsets you.

no, i'm saying it might help to not wear a luigi hat avatar when you're dismissing devs and pubs who won't support the wii u as no big loss or people who don't like nintendo franchises as being brainwashed to not like kiddy stuff or various other narratives i've witnessed nintendo fans concocting for themselves.

At those times it might be nice to not be wearing a luigi hat avatar.

Petrae

Hell hath no fury like Nintendo Nation scorned. Look out, Deep Silver!

Mid-tier games all but went away this gen, everything was sold as an AAA title or was some indie affair. The real issue is middle tier studios really need a place back in the market...or they would if there were really many left.

Which is why you can't really begrudge one of the few thats left playing it safe.

BrettHD

Banned
Well you have to look at the big picture here. If someone could make a comment like that why would they need to have this game on Wii U anyways. Just to fatten the games it has? Even if no one buys it?

Sometimes people look outside the little bubble they exist in. The bigger the library of games, the more the system sells, the more games come out for the system etc.
Modern game systems need third party game support. First party support alone isnt going to keep a system afloat.

Darryl

Banned
no, i'm saying it might help to not wear a luigi hat avatar when you're dismissing devs and pubs who won't support the wii u as no big loss or people who don't like nintendo franchises as being brainwashed to not like kiddy stuff or various other narratives i've witnessed nintendo fans concocting for themselves.

At those times it might be nice to not be wearing a luigi hat avatar.

that's a load of shit. this stuff is entirely situational. go back to the Rayman Legends threads and you'll find me (and others) being pissy about it then. these are games that we knew weren't coming to the Wii U. how many threads have there been about these guys? 10? almost every "x game isn't coming to Wii U" thread has been about Deep Silver's games. you probably don't know that because you don't read past "not coming to Wii U".

i don't like the idea that i have to disguise the fact that i play nintendo games in a fucking thread about games coming to a nintendo platform. "hey, this game isn't coming to nintendo consoles! nintendo fans stay out. your opinion on this doesn't matter here". that's the narrative you're pushing right now and it pisses me off.

ShdwDrake

Banned
This thread just confirms Wii U owners don't buy games anyway. Yeah they want core games but they want exclusives mostly and by exclusives they mainly want Nintendo titles.

Deep Silver on Wii U: Not right now, the install base is too small. You can expect us there in the future.
Deep Silver on the twins: You can expect us there, but not from the start (.. in the future)

Public Perception: Deep Silver will never be on Wii U, but you can expect them on PS4/720!1!

Where did he say not "right now"? He flat out said no.

Paskil

I don't really know what type of revenue Nintendo makes third party physical/digital distro, but I assume it is something. I can't imagine it makes their shareholders very happy each time one of these announcements comes to light.

I think it's just because the Wii U has a small install base, they even said that they aren't jumping on the PS4/720 ship at launch, so I think if/when the Wii U sales get better they will start making Wii U games.

They did say that comment I posted on page 2.

Deep Silver did just pick up THQ's IP's and they aren't the biggest devs/pubs around (they also admit that).

I'm willing to think they won't be at PS4/720 launch simply because they aren't ready, not because of any install base. I'm sure they are working on a next gen game right now.

squidyj

that's a load of shit. this stuff is entirely situational. go back to the Rayman Legends threads and you'll find me (and others) being pissy about it then. these are games that we knew weren't coming to the Wii U. how many threads have there been about these guys? 10? almost every "x game isn't coming to Wii U" thread has been about Deep Silver's games. you probably don't know that because you don't read past "not coming to Wii U".

i don't like the idea that i have to disguise the fact that i play nintendo games in a fucking thread about games coming to a nintendo platform. "hey, this game isn't coming to nintendo consoles! nintendo fans stay out. your opinion on this doesn't matter here". that's the narrative you're pushing right now and it pisses me off.

see what I mean about making up narratives about detractors? would have been better if you had left the luigi hat at home.

I don't really know what type of revenue Nintendo makes third party physical/digital distro, but I assume it is something. I can't imagine it makes their shareholders very happy each time one of these announcements comes to light.

but don't worry dude, they don't matter.

Shaanyboi

Banned

That wasn't his comment though. it was "...the Nintendo market right now and their audience is not who we reach best. It's not something we're entertaining in the near or foreseeable future."

That's a lot more specific than a vaque "not right now, but maybe later."

EDarkness

Well, we really can't blame them.

Yes we can. They have no idea what the userbase on the Wii U wants. Their reasoning is crappy. Kid friendly and Nintendo only? Get out of here with that stuff. That's like some company saying they won't make games on the Xbox because the userbase only likes shooters. It's crazy stereotyping and it's flat out not true. But carrying on like it is only perpetuates the stereotype. Make the damn games and let the quality speak for itself. There's no guarantee the game is gonna sell on any system, so throwing more options out there isn't gonna hurt at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Seriously?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Your spoiler is a double edged sword though.

I can't see any reason to accept ME3 WiiU when a trilogy pack of all three titles released within the prior month on other platforms. Paying full price on top of that?

Yikes. Unless you just love ME so much that you have no choice I see no reason at all to even entertain the idea of buying it.

Even the trilogy at full price would have been better. A dual pack ME2&3? Better than the end release.

Sure, but what about a title like Zombi U?

New IP, sizable marketing support from third party publisher + 1st party publisher support, innovative concept, popular themes.... 10% adoption rate. NSMBU, which many cite as a weak effort, a rehash, not innovative, flooded market (didn't they JUST release a Mario game for 3DS last week??).... 70% attach rate. Which is just insanely high.

What kind of message does this send?
It's not a stable base of examples, sure... but it goes a long way to indicate that Nintendo is not capturing any other market other than they'e standard hardcore fanbase. They buy Nintendo systems day 1, and they buy it for nitnendo games. that's it. they haven't converted anyone else to buy the wii u, even hit buyers or traditional core purchasers.

that's the issue they face now, and it's a tough one!
I trust they'll make some gains, for sure, I really enjoy my Wii U. it's just been a real difficult transition, they weren't ready for HD development even, let alone adding the layer of the gamepad and educating consumers on its benefits.

EDarkness

New IP, sizable marketing support from third party publisher + 1st party publisher support, innovative concept, popular themes.... 10% adoption rate. NSMBU, which many cite as a weak effort, a rehash, not innovative, flooded market (didn't they JUST release a Mario game for 3DS last week??).... 70% attach rate. Which is just insanely high.

It's not a stable base of examples, sure... but it goes a long way to indicate that Nintendo is not capturing any other market other than they'e standard hardcore fanbase. They buy Nintendo systems day 1, and they buy it for nitnendo games. that's it. they haven't converted anyone else to buy the wii u, even hit buyers or traditional core purchasers.

I trust they'll make some gains, for sure, I really enjoy my Wii U. it's just been a real difficult transition, they weren't ready for HD development even, let alone adding the layer of the gamepad and educating consumers on its benefits.

I still believe that ZombiU is totally niche. I hate horror games and had no desire to pick it up (not to mention the guys refused to add IR as an option). How many people really are into that genre in general? On top of that the early reviews of the game stated it was bad, so that could have thrown people off, too. So it's not that cut and dried. I honestly think ZombiU wouldn't do much better on any other system, either.

AzaK

In the end this is good news for Ubisoft. They'll likely be getting most of my gaming money if they keep up their Wii U support.

TaroYamada

I love threads like these where my ex-allies, the Nintendo fans, decide that there's a mass conspiracy by this industry's publishers to leave millions in guaranteed profit on the table because they dislike Nintendo.

Reminds me of my days at RawMeatCowboy's place (banned site name apparently) where these views are held by nearly 100% of the community.

Slayven

Where people around for the Gamecube? Cause people keep saying Wii U is Gamecube 2.0. It is shaping up not to be, cause the Gamecube had damn good 3rd party support.

lol at all the "who??" responses.

They're not a big publisher, but they do still put out stuff people care about. Saint's Row is a major title since the last three have sold several million units each - it has brand recognition. Dead Island was also a surprise hit, selling an impressive 5 million copies by itself. Metro 2033 wasn't a big hit, but it's practically been given away for the last two years so millions probably own that game. That, coupled with Last Light looking superb, means that the franchise could develop into something larger. Not to mention that these guys also seem to publish a few Japanese games for Europe like Catherine and the upcoming Killer is Dead.

Not an important group by any means (they admit this), but don't shrug off losing their support. Lost support is still lost support, and it's not like Nintendo have many other companies to plug the gap.

To those saying "Deep who? I don't care about their games." you should realise that they're not alone.
Your spoiler is a double edged sword though.

I can't see any reason to accept ME3 WiiU when a trilogy pack of all three titles released within the prior month on other platforms. Paying full price on top of that?

Yikes. Unless you just love ME so much that you have no choice I see no reason at all to even entertain the idea of buying it.

Even the trilogy at full price would have been better. A dual pack ME2&3? Better than the end release.
I've said it before, but all that goes to show is that there isn't any point in a third console SKU for publishers. Whether it's Arkham City, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, etc.

If people currently buying the Wii U were people who had never had access to these titles, perhaps they were Wii-only owners for the last 7 years, the games could be considered essentially new to them.

If people currently buying the Wii U were people who already had a PS3 or 360, and had already had the opportunity to purchase and play these titles, then why release an additional SKU when this audience can already be reached.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yes we can. They have no idea what the userbase on the Wii U wants. Their reasoning is crappy. Kid friendly and Nintendo only? Get out of here with that stuff. That's like some company saying they won't make games on the Xbox because the userbase only likes shooters. It's crazy stereotyping and it's flat out not true. But carrying on like it is only perpetuates the stereotype. Make the damn games and let the quality speak for itself. There's no guarantee the game is gonna sell on any system, so throwing more options out there isn't gonna hurt at all.

Except stuff like Mass Effect 3, Batman, Assassin's Creed, Darksiders 2, and Call of Duty all did REALLY poorly on the system. And not just "Oh it's a new platform" bad. Like... really bad. And granted, these are all ports, these kinds of games are available elsewhere (and in most cases, cheaper), and thus the WiiU early adopters who likely had a 360/PS3 had no reason to double dip on that stuff.

But the only message third parties got from that launch and since then is that WiiU owners aren't interested in that kind of content on the WiiU, whether it be because it's redundant, or it's just not what that audience wants. It's not a good reason, but it's the only one they care about.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I still believe that ZombiU is totally niche. I hate horror games and had no desire to pick it up (not to mention the guys refused to add IR as an option). How many people really are into that genre in general? On top of that the early reviews of the game stated it was bad, so that could have thrown people off, too. So it's not that cut and dried. I honestly think ZombiU wouldn't do much better on any other system, either.

It has the highest attach rate of any title that isn't NSMBU.

PetrCobra

When they stop supporting the PC will be when I'll stop buying their games when I can get them for 2 to 5 euros on Steam. Can't say I have the desire to buy anything they publish for a console, or for anything close to a full price.

I am more worried about EA and Activision.

BlackJace

I love threads like these where my ex-allies, the Nintendo fans, decide that there's a mass conspiracy by this industry's publishers to leave millions in guaranteed profit on the table because they dislike Nintendo.

Reminds me of my days at RawMeatCowboy's place (banned site name apparently) where these views are held by nearly 100% of the community.

"Ex-Allies"? Did you really once believe you were enlisted in some fanboy army? Yuck.

It has the highest attach rate of any title that isn't NSMBU.
Thought it was sonic?
Except stuff like Mass Effect 3, Batman, Assassin's Creed, Darksiders 2, and Call of Duty all did REALLY poorly on the system. And not just "Oh it's a new platform" bad. Like... really bad. And granted, these are all ports, these kinds of games are available elsewhere (and in most cases, cheaper), and thus the WiiU early adopters who likely had a 360/PS3 had no reason to double dip on that stuff.

But the only message third parties got from that launch and since then is that WiiU owners aren't interested in that kind of content on the WiiU, whether it be because it's redundant, or it's just not what that audience wants. It's not a good reason, but it's the only one they care about.
I would prefer more cross gen, next gen games for Wii U. All these last gen games are a bit silly imo. Especially if you had an older console already.

SMD

If you want one person's reasoning, I didn't buy Zombi U yet because it's a game by Ubisoft and I wanted to wait for it to hit a sub-£20 price point. I bought NSMBU because I didn't think it would get any cheaper.

I'll pick it up eventually, but I don't agree with the industry's need to sell most of their copies in the first few weeks of release. I have plenty of games on other formats, not to mention PS Plus, which means that I can pick and choose which particular bandwagons I will jump on straight away. And ironically, Nintendo's policy of releasing games when they're ready and not dropping the price makes me feel like they are the best to buy at release. I know that Fire Emblem Awakening is going to be well made and that I won't get it cheaper than £30 for quite some time.

If all publishers took the same attitude then I'd have more confidence that I won't be losing out by being an early adopter. Unfortunately you seem to pay for the privilege of being there on release day. Even a month can make a difference with some publishers.

TaroYamada

"Ex-Allies"? Did you really once believe you were enlisted in some fanboy army? Yuck.

It was figurative but in my younger years (pre-teens and before) I was definitely a staunch Nintendo fanboy, as I got older I started to prefer Sony sometime around 2003-2004 but was still into Nintendo. The 3DS was probably the last time I'll care about Nintendo because I had a multitude of hardware issues that their customer service seemed incapable of fixing and so I sold it, also the price drop pissed me off because I felt it was overpriced at launch. Essentially I felt burned by them.

lol at all the "who??" responses.

They're not a big publisher, but they do still put out stuff people care about. Saint's Row is a major title since the last three have sold several million units each - it has brand recognition. Dead Island was also a surprise hit, selling an impressive 5 million copies by itself. Metro 2033 wasn't a big hit, but it's practically been given away for the last two years so millions probably own that game. That, coupled with Last Light looking superb, means that the franchise could develop into something larger. Not to mention that these guys also seem to publish a few Japanese games for Europe like Catherine and the upcoming Killer is Dead.

Not an important group by any means (they admit this), but don't shrug off losing their support. Lost support is still lost support, and it's not like Nintendo have many other companies to plug the gap.

This kind of stuff reminds me of the GameCube.
Mo5znvM.jpg

At first, all the smaller developers left the GameCube at the wayside. People ignored them because either it was "Who?" or "They make crappy games anyway." and then slowly more companies followed right after.
(And just for context, this specific comic turns 10 years old in July. Crazy. Some kids play games now and Penny-Arcade has ALWAYS existed)

In fairness, EAs 'support' of both the Wii and the WiiU is baffling and Rockstars support is condescending at best.

It's not like there's no evidence that certain publishers have made decisions about what they will and won't publish on a Nintendo platform that do not seem to line up with actual business reasons.

PetrCobra

I would prefer more cross gen, next gen games for Wii U. All these last gen games are a bit silly imo. Especially if you had an older console already.

Don't know about majority of gamers but I would prefer games that were available on the older consoles (which I didn't own) but NOT on PC. One possible exception is NFSMW, that game seems to be ported wonderfully.

Top Bottom