• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Senators feeling trepidation towards HRC's declining poll numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via The Hill

Nervous Senate Democrats raised concerns with Hillary Clinton during a private meeting in the Capitol Thursday over a recent poll showing Donald Trump leading or tied in several battleground states.

“Some people were freaked out, they were looking down at the polls on RealClearPolitics and asking why it was so close,” said a Democratic senator who attended the meeting, referring to a website lawmakers were checking out on their personal devices.

Clinton’s response?

“She said there are other issues. People are unhappy and they don’t trust institutions,” the senator explained.

A second Democratic source in the meeting confirmed there was “a mention of the Florida poll.”

A Quinnipiac University poll released this week showed the presumptive GOP presidential nominee up 42 percent to 39 percent in swing state Florida. Clinton had an 8-point lead in Quinnipiac’s poll of the state last month.

The same survey showed Trump ahead 2 points in Pennsylvania, another big swing state, and tied in Ohio. The three states have been pivotal in the last four presidential elections.

Senate Democrats are especially vested in the race because they’re resting their hopes of winning back Senate control on Clinton winning in November.

A study published last year by the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics showed a high correlation between presidential and Senate results historically. In 2012, the correlation was 0.78; a perfect correlation is 1.

The sense of uneasiness among Senate Democrats is heightened by their observation that Trump has stayed within striking distance in pivotal states despite being vastly outspent.

NBC News reported this week that Clinton’s campaign and allied super-PACs have spent $57 million so far, while Trump’s campaign hasn’t spent anything, and two allied outside groups have spent only $3.6 million.

Team Clinton has outspent Team Trump in nine battleground states by a 40-1 ratio, NBC reported.

Buyer's remorse?

lol somehow you never seem to post any positive polls Alucard. Anyway, while her poll numbers have dropped Trump has yet to be able to pull himself out ahead with pretty steady poll numbers from the aggregate

120v

bunch of bed wetters. it's like one week of meh polling and she's pulling way ahead in the aggregates still

GOP is naturally going to poll better around their convention and veep pick

Are they really that surprised? Surely they're at least aware that Clinton isn't a particularly popular figure and that the FBI just last week called her "irresponsible".

A lot of people really dislike Clinton and despite how much we like to make fun of Trump he is still very popular to a lot of people who don't really care what a bunch of liberals think about them. So I think the concern is not unwarranted.

kirblar

lol somehow you never seem to post any positive polls Alucard. Anyway, while her poll numbers have dropped Trump has yet to be able to pull himself out ahead with pretty steady poll numbers from the aggregate
The OP has a pretty transparent agenda.

zero_suit

Minorities, and a lot of women, still won't vote for Trump, so I'm not concerned. Plus, polls this far out don't matter much.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not saying don't be worried in some respects but I was also looking at other polls where Trump was getting 0% of the black vote in some states. 5% of Latinos, etc. so its all over the board this point depending on where you look.

AxelFoley

If these chickenshits are nervous now, I'm gonna hate to see them after next week when Trump gets a post convention bounce.

Hillary has just come off what will likely be the worst week of her campaign with the emails thing wrapping up, and Trump has had a decent week with him picking his VP and the GOP convention starting next week. It's no surprise polls have tightened a bit.

Trump will say something stupid again before too long and the gap will widen back up.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Trump will lose but if he loses in the McCain/Romney range, that's actually pretty scary after the things he has said. If he wins then smh lol.

Debates are vital, and I'm pretty sure Hillary will smoke him.

Kenai

Yes OP, keep making people who don't pay as much attention as others regarding polling be worried and increase Dem voter turnout. Much appreciated.

Horns

Not worried about it. Polls barely dipped after the investion. Come November Trump will likely lose and bring down a bunch of republicans with him.

Amir0x

Banned
Alucard you're so cute

oh nos we should be sooo worried, let's pretend we don't know how to read polling aggregates ahhh hahhaa

I hope Hillary can bounce back, the results of the investigation are bound to be recurring themes in Trump's narrative.

Also, can someone briefly explain this aggregates business? Aren't they trending downward as a whole?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this November will finally drive Pence out of his politics, his views on conversion therapy and LGBT+ rights are appalling. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Clinton and her VP pick start pushing those facts more during the debates.

Voters believing Clinton has this in the bag is one of the worst things that could happen for Democrats. I appreciate Alucard doing his best to insure we all stay alarmed, alert and fired up until Nov. 8.

Slayven

I mean she just had her worse week, and it is likely to be the last. It would be worrying if it was sept or oct

Amir0x

Banned
I hope Hillary can bounce back, the results of the investigation are bound to be recurring themes in Trump's narrative.

Also, can someone briefly explain this aggregates business? Aren't they trending downward as a whole?

Briefly, Hillary remains ahead in all polling aggregates by a significant amount and, more importantly, in almost all battleground states. And this is likely to be her worst period, after the investigation ended and the FBI transparently made a political statement with their conference.

People like Alucard want people to think it's some close race and that Trump has a chance because they're offensively politically inept and also don't care how much of the country they destroy in order to get their way. The rest of us understand how polls work and therefore remain unconcerned.

legacyzero

Banned
All of the underestimation happening in this thread worries me. Trump brings out all the racist, angry, anti-establishment, gullible fucks in America. I'm cringing at the amount of people who smugly respond with "He'll lose, /shrug" or "it means nothing", etc etc. These are the same folks that discount Trump in the Primary, and were subsequently surprised that he kept winning states.

Even from the shitty source, it doesn't make it not an issue.

And even worse, what I keep seeing, even AFTER the primary is over, are people passive-aggressively treating dissenters with smug snipes, rather than helping them understand the facts, and learning to understand them yourself.

Trump will be a bigger force that what some of you are willing to admit. Even right now, it's too close for comfort.

rofl

All of the underestimation happening in this thread worries me. Trump brings out all the racist, angry, anti-establishment, gullible fucks in America. I'm cringing at the amount of people who smugly respond with "He'll lose, /shrug" or "it means nothing", etc etc. These are the same folks that discount Trump in the Primary, and were subsequently surprised that he kept winning states.

Even from the shitty source, it doesn't make it not an issue.

And even worse, what I keep seeing, even AFTER the primary is over, are people passive-aggressively treating dissenters with smug snipes, rather than helping them understand the facts, and learning to understand them yourself.

and Clinton is still holding major leads in nearly all swing states after the email investigation ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom