• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirimar

Diseased Yak said:
Hoooly shit @ the boss he fights at the 10 minute mark! Wow!
Yea, he died quite a few times. He finally figured out what to do and defeating it gives you a serious sense of accomplishment. These bosses are reminiscent of SOTC's in a way, which is great.

garath

Need better co-op info. Hopefully once the Asian import hits we'll get some multiplayer feedback. If it's confirmed that this is english menus with co-op**, I'm all over it.

** Non Fable2 quality gimped co-op.

Mirimar said:
Yea, he died quite a few times. He finally figured out what to do and defeating it gives you a serious sense of accomplishment. These bosses are reminiscent of SOTC's in a way, which is great.

I've heard that some members of Team ICO were part of the team compliments of SCEJ. This info could also be false but I definitely get that vibe as well. I'm at work, and it's funny; the internet block is down today (for some reason, I work at a department store.) so I'm on GAF and I'm chomping at the bit to watch those new videos but they aren't working. By the time the asian version ships we will all have watched the entire game on NicoNico/justin.tv!!

I also decided that in my free-time until release I will buy and playthrough KF: The Ancient City again. I did when it released but since sold my copy. $10.50 total on Amazon for a great experience, count me in!

garath said:
Need better co-op info. Hopefully once the Asian import hits we'll get some multiplayer feedback. If it's confirmed that this is english menus with co-op**, I'm all over it.

** Non Fable2 quality gimped co-op.

What do you know so far? Asian version will be entirely in English, but the option for Chinese subtitles/text will be available. Skim the last two pages or so of this thread and you should get a decent idea about co-op. Not to be a dick but did you read the info on the official post? Once the Asian version ships there will no doubt be a vast amount of detailed information but the jist of it all is within the thread.

I can tell you that the co-op is not gimped like Fable 2!

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I preordered this yesterday and I am super excited. I've never played a game like this before.

A friend of mine from another forum said that there is no ability to pause the game. Is this true? I kinda like being able to leave the room and go take a piss without fear of dying when I play games.

Captain Pants said:
I preordered this yesterday and I am super excited. I've never played a game like this before.

A friend of mine from another forum said that there is no ability to pause the game. Is this true? I kinda like being able to leave the room and go take a piss without fear of dying when I play games.

The game does not pause when you access the inventory. However, there is probably an actual PAUSE button mapped.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The game does not pause when you access the inventory. However, there is probably an actual PAUSE button mapped.

That makes much more sense... I don't mind real time menus at all. They add a lot of tension.

I tried to pre-order this at Gamestop today and they couldn't find it in their system. This is confirmed for the US around the 24th correct?

Xabora

Troidal

It was sold out in Yodobashi Akiba as of last night. So I decided to order from Amazon instead, looks like they got new stocks now so i should have my copy later today.

Ohhhh...cant wait how this will turn out for me...

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
I tried to pre-order this at Gamestop today and they couldn't find it in their system. This is confirmed for the US around the 24th correct?

No North American release date has been announced and probably won't be for a few months, if they plan to bring it here. The links above will take you to pre-order pages! It's an import, but runs no problem on US PS3 and will have full English support (the ASIAN version that is)

Gamestop has no clue about this gem.

Troidal said:
It was sold out in Yodobashi Akiba as of last night. So I decided to order from Amazon instead, looks like they got new stocks now so i should have my copy later today.

Ohhhh...cant wait how this will turn out for me...

I'm surprised Amazon Japan got their new stock replenishment as quick as they did...You're still in a much better spot than most of us on here since we're all waiting *patiently* for the Asian version x:

I really wish they would release an official statement informing us of what went wrong and why the delay...

Hmm...do I wait for a US release (to save money and support whoever brings it out here) or just get the Asian version? Decisions, decisions.

chaostrophy said:
Hmm...do I wait for a US release (to save money and support whoever brings it out here) or just get the Asian version? Decisions, decisions.

Asian version :) Who wants to wait an undisclosed amount of time for something that will be identical to the version you could've had months (or years) ago!!

BruceLeeRoy said:
Damn my copy has been delayed.

And what is this I am hearing about co-op I didn't know the game had
real time co-op

some weird meta-game kind of co-op from what I summarized. apparently, when you die, you become a ghost, you can then leave messages and stuff in the dungeon, other player can read your messages and either evaluate you, giving you bonus health, or summon your soul, which is when the co-op started. you can then either help whoever summon you. or kill them for some items I guess.

you can also leave fake hint etc in your messages if you want to be a douche about it.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Damn my copy has been delayed.

And what is this I am hearing about co-op I didn't know the game had
real time co-op

Asian or Japanese version? Sorry to hear that, a real bummer am I right?

Yes there is co-op:

Invade another player's world, carrying a black stone, as the Black Phantom. Kill said player. If player kills you he then gets the special black stone.

Player summons your soul for help in his journey. When he retreives your physical body you both play until death. (let's hope I'm right with that one, Budokai can you confirm?)

Other players are seen as "ghostly apparitions" as you play, and can leave messages on the ground for you as you roam.

Callibretto said:
you can also leave fake hint etc in your messages if you want to be a douche about it.

EDIT: :lol BEATEN!

RavenFox

Banned
Smack me for not ordering this greatness when I had the chance. Didn't make that mistake again. PlayAsia feb 24th fedex. I need this yesterday. Oh and holy shit at that boss 0_0

Okay well i went to bed early yesterday because I am recovering from a cold. Going to play some more today although I gotta go to denden to get a Nagoshi signature later.

I am going to copy over my co-op explanation that I texted thetrin yesterday.

basically you start off with a physical body. In the game world you
can see these white spirit guys running around. They are other players
but you don't really interact with each other. You can leave messages
on the ground however to give hints and stuff.

When your physical body dies you become a soul. Your HP is halved
until you beat a boss or use an item. When you are a soul however you
can use an item(i think, haven't done it yet) which basically puts a
soulsign on the ground so other people can summon you. You can summon
up to two players at once. The idea is that if you want to be reborn
in your physical body the easiest way is to get summoned and fight
together to the boss(at least I think so).

You can't do all this summoning stuff until after the 1st boss though.

And yeah I did later summon two guys and got pretty deep into the mines. They both died however and since I was scared to go it alone I ran back to the start. lol

jiggle

this is through online with real players right?

that actually sounds pretty interesting
i've been wondering what all those red runes are

what happen when you died in soul form? I seem to remember reading something about permanent death or how you lose everything and have to start from the beginning.

LAMBO

May be the first game i import (earth defense force was almost my first but i didn't feel like modding my ps2 or buying swap discs for one game).

Callibretto said:
what happen when you died in soul form? I seem to remember reading something about permanent death or how you lose everything and have to start from the beginning.

When you die in soul form you just leave a blood stain on the ground and are sent back to the beginning of the level. You lose all your souls but if you make it back to the blood stain you get them all (I think all of them) back.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The lovely thing about King's Field is finding your first kickass weapon or armor (since you start with and stick with pretty normal stuff for a good portion of the game). I have a feeling this game will bring that lovely feeling back.

sh4mike

Yeah, that Manta fight on Justin was amazing. Lovely design on the demon.

Nice to see weapons with unique attributes as well -- strong sword is strong.

kyle (in stereo) said:
Read lots of comparisons to Oblivion.

Open world gameplay?

the comparison to oblivion is only because the same medieval theme, and this have a much better art style and atmosphere.

gameplay wise, they are very different. Demon's Soul looks like a dungeon crawler, there won't be much town or npc you get sidequest from.

actually, I'm still not sure what the goal of the game is, whether they have objectives or just explore some dungeons.

kassatsu

Banned
sinobi said:
PS3「Demon's Souls/デモンズソウル」品切れ続出の好スタート
初日の販売本数は約2.3万本と、数量自体はさほど多くないものの

23k opening day

edit: lol i am late.

WYWY

There's a video in nicovideo of a guy dual-wielding two swords. Probably a high-level repeat-playthough -> he is literally mowing down everything without any problems.

RavenFox

Banned
Okay another epic boss fight. Ive never seen a sword so long omg. The bosses swings takes out the huge statues in the room

sh4mike

WYWY said:
There's a video in nicovideo of a guy dual-wielding two swords. Probably a high-level repeat-playthough -> he is literally mowing down everything without any problems.
Has it been confirmed that you can run a NewGame+ with all weapons+stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom