• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boulayman said:
Any word on the shipment or First day sales ? I am quite worried for From Software after last week's ninja blade bomb.

Well some places have either sold out of their first shipment which could be considered good depending on how you look at it. It's on Amazon.co.jp's top bestsellers at #4. Seems like people have been able to pick it up in shop but online retailers have had a few minor issues...Don't know much more than that.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yes I live in Japan.

Can't wait to play some more tonight, although I gotta try out KZ2 first to see what all the hype is about.

Awesome, keep us updated with what you discover! (Skip KZ2 for now :D)

Mirimar

Now I'm following 3 people...lol. Part 3 of the very first video I linked. And it's true, life is reduced if you die. Never noticed it before until budokai mentioned it. There is this tiny white bar that limits your life bar until you recover your soul.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6057235

He's starting to fast forward through parts..thus his playthrough isn't as lengthy as the others.
Indigo, if you find any play diaries with people playing classes other than knight and thief, let me know. I haven't seen anything other than those two classes. People seem to love thief.

Found another class. Each of them has different starting weapons. Not sure which one this is, but he has a 1H spear and a 1H sword pairing.
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6053052

Now I'm following 3 people...lol. Part 3 of the very first video I linked. And it's true, life is reduced if you die. Never noticed it before until budokai mentioned it. There is this tiny white bar that limits your life bar until you recover your soul.

I don't think you get it back by recovering your soul though. I am honestly kind of lost as to how I can get back my physical form. lol

I think it has something to do with beating one of the big demons.

Mirimar said:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6057235

He's starting to fast forward through parts..thus his playthrough isn't as lengthy as the others.
Indigo, if you find any play diaries with people playing classes other than knight and thief, let me know. I haven't seen anything other than those two classes. People seem to love thief.

Ahh, I suspected that was what that bar was for, interesting little feature. Removing that limit is a great incentive to retreiving your soul.

I will let you know...the last player you linked, the 40 min video, I believe he was playing as a hunter...at least that's what it looked like, plus he had the bow early on it seems. I could be wrong about the class though. So far I'm only finding the videos we've already mentioned.

Thief probably has some good parry skills to begin with or something..

Here's a direct link to that guy's blog -- he's updating it as he goes with the videos...Ignore if this was already posted!
http://niconicookowa.blog56.fc2.com/

Yeah it's not recovering your soul. The manual says there are three ways.

Either defeating a demon

Using a special item which i haven't seen yet

Or getting summoned to another players world and fulfilling some requirement

Mirimar

BudokaiMR2 said:

Either defeating a demon

So they purposely made it so that it is difficult to get your body back? :lol I've seen these players die a couple of times though and their life reduction doesn't seem that much. Guess it's incentive not to die...yet the game makes it inevitable.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
*That latest video, Vol. 3, is annoying, is this what you mean by fast forwarding? He's speeding it up or something..?

Yea, I have no idea what he's doing =/ Hopefully he posts up 4 soon, but I'm following this other player that's mentioned above in the meantime.

BudokaiMR2 said:

Either defeating a demon

Hmm alright...so if you find your corpse where you previously died, that limit is not lifted? Rather, those three ways remove the limit instead? Makes sense but could us make things challenging :)

*That latest video, Vol. 3, is annoying, is this what you mean by fast forwarding? He's speeding it up or something..?

Mirimar said:
So they purposely made it so that it is difficult to get your body back? :lol I've seen these players die a couple of times though and their life reduction doesn't seem that much. Guess it's incentive not to die...yet the game makes it inevitable.

Well you only have your HP halved when you are in your physical form. If you die as a soul you are just transported back and lose your number of souls. I still haven't returned to my physical body after my first death... >.>

Oh fuck I am just reading the manual and ran across something cool.

Well when you write the messages and put them on the ground, they can be evaluated. And it says in the manual that if someone gives you an evaluation then you will regain health. I am guessing that it won't lift the limit but will just heal you though.

O.O

BudokaiMR2 said:
Well you only have your HP halved when you are in your physical form. If you die as a soul you are just transported back and lose your number of souls. I still haven't returned to my physical body after my first death... >.>

I think I understand...it was confusing at first...

You first start off in your physical body...once you die, you start at the beginning of the level? (or the hub?) And from there you have to make your way back to where you died, retrieve your body, return to physical form, then proceed on?

BudokaiMR2 said:
Oh fuck I am just reading the manual and ran across something cool.

Well when you write the messages and put them on the ground, they can be evaluated. And it says in the manual that if someone gives you an evaluation then you will regain health. I am guessing that it won't lift the limit but will just heal you though.

O.O
Yea that is cool, I believe it's part of the network play, among a few other options.

How's the manual design? Boring? Exciting? What's your take on it?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I think I understand...it was confusing at first...

You first start off in your physical body...once you die, you start at the beginning of the level? (or the hub?) And from there you have to make your way back to where you died, retrieve your body, return to physical form, then proceed on?

No see I don't think you can get back to physical form by retrieving your body.

holy shit i also just read that you can invade other player's worlds and try to kill them if you have some black soul stone. :O

Mirimar

Heh, this new player is actually able to take out that first "boss" that has annihilated everyone else I've seen. What I don't get is there is a ghost shadowing him. Is that another player's ghost showing you what others have tried? If so, that's a cool feature.

Wow, after defeating that boss,
he gets a different cut scene with this huge ass dragon that punches him
:lol

Indigo: Ah, thanks. I like his play style, so I'm probably going with this one along with the thief. Will follow the hunter as well.

BudokaiMR2 said:
No see I don't think you can get back to physical form by retrieving your body.

holy shit i also just read that you can invade other player's worlds and try to kill them if you have some black soul stone. :O

Ahh ok, guess I don't quite understand it yet!

Yes it's a very cool part of network play, saw it happen to the guy who was streaming on justin.tv. He got rocked by it. The player who invades is called the Black Phantom and is quite deadly, so watch out if you come across one. If you do happen to kill one, that black soul stone is pretty unique--not sure what it does yet though.

*Mirimar, that new player you linked is playing as a Warrior/Soldier...

Mirimar said:
Heh, this new player is actually able to take out that first "boss" that has annihilated everyone else I've seen. What I don't get is there is a ghost shadowing him. Is that another player's ghost showing you what others have tried? If so, that's a cool feature.

Wow, after defeating that boss,
he gets a different cut scene with this huge ass dragon that punches him
:lol

Indigo: Ah, thanks. I like his play style, so I'm probably going with this one along with the thief. Will follow the hunter as well.

Are you talking about the first big guy at the end of the tutorial type level?

BudokaiMR2 said:
Are you talking about the first big guy at the end of the tutorial type level?

Yea I was quite impressed...No one I've seen has beat him..I honestly thought you weren't supposed to beat him...Must be why they sent him to that HUGE huge HUGEEE demon :)

Yea, so far the Thief is the quickest I've seen. I'd like to get a better idea of each class and how they play..I've yet to see anyone really use magic...Maybe it's not that powerful?!

FUCK YES!

I just beat a big slime boss and revived to my physical form. I can now do the status upgrades.

:D :D :D :D

I had to run by the fucking dragon to activate a lever to get to the boss. I used the dragon to kill the 20 or so guys in the way too. Get him to fly over and light them up with fire breath and then make a break for it hahahah

LOL i finally got my physical body back and then summoned another
player in a new level. We started running and then I saw a dragon fly
over and obliterate him. Lol i managed to get away though.

Game kicks ass.

BudokaiMR2 said:
over and obliterate him. Lol i managed to get away though.

Game kicks ass

Fuckin' 'ell! Feb. 24th...long ways away it seems.

Hows it feel to get back to your physical body ? :) How are you finding the difficulty? Refreshing? Frustrating? You creeped out yet? Do let us know what you've experienced so far.

Kagari said:
All right, just ordered this along with Ryu ga Gotoku 3... D: I think I'm set for a while.

*Both Ryu ga Gotoku 3 and Demon's Souls, I'll say you're set for so long!!

Gibb

I contacted Gamehubs to see if they also export the Asian version:

They are waiting for confirmation and are going to update their News section if pre-order becomes available.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
klee123 said:
23K first day from the media create thread.

Awesome, that's not bad for such a niche title, and one that wasn't reviewed super well. Can't wait to see how it does in the first week.

birdchili

this had "cult favorite" written all over it right from the start. big congrats to the From folk and much happiness from me who really wants to see more stuff like this made.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dude on the stream is playing again. What is that glowing red thing floating above the back of his head? I'm assuming either a magic helmet of some sort or a buff.

BudokaiMR2 said:
over and obliterate him.
Lol i managed to get away though.

Game kicks ass.
Summon as in he was there to kill you like others were talking about before or as in you summoned him to help you? does this have co-op?

Pleasantly surprised with the first day sales. Selling out, even if it was only 23k, was probably not expected and is a good sign that this game has great sales potential. I also applaud FROM for all the work they've done; not to mention sticking with development even if they weren't expect a top seller. Same with SCE for not canceling in light of a sales flop. I can't express how impressed I am, and how excited I am to play this game. I really hope FROM and Sony work together again and give us some more!

Regardless of whether or not SCE brings it to Europe and NA, I'm thankful that the decision to include English was made. It would've been a big disappointment for them not to, and then neglect the other regions completely :)

Enough of the mushy stuff...

I'm having a hard time staying away from these videos and streams!

BMX Bandit said:
Summon as in he was there to kill you like others were talking about before or as in you summoned him to help you? does this have co-op?

Yes this does have co-op. I'm not sure if you've been watching any of the videos/streams but in many of the more recent ones you can see ghostly figures running around -- I believe this is a part of the co-op...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Pleasantly surprised with the first day sales. Selling out, even if it was only 23k, was probably not expected and is a good sign that this game has great sales potential. I also applaud FROM for all the work they've done; not to mention sticking with development even if they weren't expect a top seller. Same with SCE for not canceling in light of a sales flop. I can't express how impressed I am, and how excited I am to play this game. I really hope FROM and Sony work together again and give us some more!

Regardless of whether or not SCE brings it to Europe and NA, I'm thankful that the decision to include English was made. It would've been a big disappointment for them not to, and then neglect the other regions completely :)

Enough of the mushy stuff...

I'm having a hard time staying away from these videos and streams!

Yes this does have co-op. I'm not sure if you've been watching any of the videos/streams but in many of the more recent ones you can see ghostly figures running around -- I believe this is a part of the co-op...

Ahh ok. So it isn't exactly like another player soldier type in the game but instead they play as a ghost type figure. Seems like kind of a strange idea, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it to see exactly what it plays like. Thanks for the info.

BMX Bandit said:
Ahh ok. So it isn't exactly like another player soldier type in the game but instead they play as a ghost type figure. Seems like kind of a strange idea, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it to see exactly what it plays like. Thanks for the info.

Well, honestly, I'm not all that sure. I believe the system is somewhat like Fable II where players appear as orbs. However in DS players are just seen roaming around and somehow you can 'summon' them into your world to help you. Players can also leave messages on the ground, and you will see them. I'm not totally sure how it works and if there is a set co-op mode where a player plays along side of you-- BUT from what I can tell this is possible and Budokai has confirmed that he played along side someone.

Regarding network play:

SCEJ just updated the official website with a short bit of news:

2009/02/06 オンラインサービスへの接続について
現在、PLAYSTATION®3本体設定が特定の条件の場合に、Demon's Soulsのオンラインプレイが
正常に動作しないことが確認されています。
(ブロックリストに8文字ないし16文字のオンラインIDが登録されている場合)

本現象については、近日中にパッチ(オンラインアップデート)による修正を予定しています。
お客様にはご迷惑をお掛けしておりますことをお詫び申し上げます。

なお、上記の設定はオフラインプレイには影響ございません。

Pardon my ROUGH translation (I've included for ease of access for anyone that is fluent) but I believe it's saying there's some issue with PSN ID's complete name not showing when playing online...I'd appreciate a more accurate translation if someone can provide!

*Also a mention of a patch in the works for this issue.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Well, honestly, I'm not all that sure. I believe the system is somewhat like Fable II where players appear as orbs. However in DS players are just seen roaming around and somehow you can 'summon' them into your world to help you. Players can also leave messages on the ground, and you will see them. I'm not totally sure how it works and if there is a set co-op mode where a player plays along side of you-- BUT from what I can tell this is possible and Budokai has confirmed that he played along side someone.
Gotcha. Well then I look forward to BudokaiMR2's next update. Even without the co-op feature I think I'm sold, but I think I could convince some friends to join in if the co-op feature is rather robust.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Holy FUCK at what he's fighting now on the stream! Some giant manta ray looking thing with tons of smaller ones that break off from it.

Mirimar

Has he changed his play style at all or is he still running straight into things or grinding manta rays? I swear, he spent half an hour shooting at these manta ray things and missed 80% of the time :lol At the same time, he was getting skewered 90% of the time.

There are definitely more people playing this game because I'm seeing more frequency of ghostly apparitions. There's one thing the streamer did that has me curious...he equipped 2 shields at the same time. Now, why would the game allow you to do that unless it meant you could SMITE! Wishful thinking, I know..but it'd be awesome if you could actually attack with dual shields :lol

Part 3 has updated for Marugos' soldier - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6062132

Part 4 has updated for Okowa's Thief -
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6066969

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I'm being told this game isn't very RPG-ish by my friend... D: He is just judging off the videos though.

DunpealD

Kagari said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I'm being told this game isn't very RPG-ish by my friend... D: He is just judging off the videos though.

You have a very interesting friend there...

Looks like the feed has stopped and will continue in 8 hours. I'll be getting it day one if I can find it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
He said in the stream chat that equipping two shields at the same time allowed for no special moves, but made parrying a lot easier, or something to that effect.

He also said within the last few hours he's seen/heard a lot more "foreigners" in the game, so I guess that means import copies are coming in for people.

He then went back and tried the manta ray boss again, this time using what he called a "manta arrow" that he had made. Didn't help much though, he killed a bunch of the little ones and then the big one showed up and proceeded to wipe him out. He then said he was giving up for a while and going to sleep :lol .

The bosses in this game are brutal!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DunpealD said:
You have a very interesting friend there...

Looks like the feed has stopped and will continue in 8 hours. I'll be getting it day one if I can find it.

According to him, Action RPGs aren't RPGs... logic does not compute...

DunpealD

Kagari said:
According to him, Action RPGs aren't RPGs... logic does not compute...

Maybe you should stop showing him interesting games and give him things like Virtual Hydlide or whatever it was called for Saturn to play :p

Anyway you shouldn't try to understand his logic or try to convince him, it's bad for your health.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DunpealD said:
Maybe you should stop showing him interesting games and give him things like Virtual Hydlide or whatever it was called for Saturn to play :p

Anyway you shouldn't try to understand his logic or try to convince him, it's bad for your health.

:lol Thing is, he was interested in the game at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom