• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
templeusox said:
Edit: Holy shit at the beast currently on-screen and the flying manta ray.

And he managed to beat that beast. The manta ray seems really annoying though since it can shoot its spikes through walls. He ran behind a wall and stopped to go through his items and then this big spike comes flying through the wall.

He just took down his first boss. It was this thing

ds05.jpg

Dante said:
What stream is up now?

This one;

http://ja.justin.tv/esegk

Holy crap, his health bar is huge compared to when I last saw it - and he finally managed to get inside the tower without getting roasted by the dragon! Still doesn't seem to be parrying, rolling or dodging very much though :p

*edit, now he's getting owned by a 20ft high knight (looks like the Knight from WKC)

*edit 2, holy crap, he won! Trophy get.

Ello said:
Anyone still watching? He's getting his ass kicked by Ifrit.

Yeah, I saw that - couldn't believe how fast that thing was, or how large it's projectile attacks were - still, he put up a pretty good fight.

Ello

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, I saw that - couldn't believe how fast that thing was, or how large it's projectile attacks were - still, he put up a pretty good fight.

Looks like it's time for round 2.

some of the effects in this game are absolutely stunning...its hilarious how puny his attacks seem beside the ifrit...hasnt he got any other moves... game does remind me of oblivion, just with better atmosphere and artistry

that fight was intense

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Alright, is this safe to pre-order from Play-asia? Will I be getting a game with full english text?

If so I will pre-order this straight away.

Witchfinder General said:
Alright, is this safe to pre-order from Play-asia? Will I be getting a game with full english text?

If so I will pre-order this straight away.

If you order the Asian version that launches on the 24th, then yes - it'll have English text.

Baloonatic said:
Did he ever get round to killing those dragons?

Don't think so - he was assaulting the castle where the dragon strafes along the battlements, but the boss battle was against a giant knight, not the dragon.

*edit, he's reached the swamp area now, it's full of these centipede things with 4 or so human faces, and tentacle rape monsters.

WYWY

I think a localization is almost confirmed considering all the voices are in English...

Those in US and EU may want to wait a while... the localized version is probably cheaper than importing from PA.

And... just don't blame me if it against all logic, it doesn't gets localized. :D

another boss fight...love the fact that he seems to be pissing his pants before entering the fight haha

We need more rpgs with this kind of dark atmosphere... I do like my flash, which ff caters for...but I like the atmosphere and style of this game more than any other next gen rpg I have seen...a nice change from generic anime anyway

glaurung

This boss fight that he's onto now
two winged gargoyles
looks relatively easy for him, but how the hell should a thief character kill those things on that tiny bridge?

Defuser said:
oh wow,he has to start a good chunk of distance way back when he die in a boss fight? That fucking sucks.

Yeah, you have to go back to the beginning of the level and your health is capped until you've recovered the soul dropped when you died.

Holy crap the boss he's fighting at the moment is hard...mostly because there's 2 of them.

Defuser

If you ask me,he has lots of opportunities to strike them but he didn't. btw did he beat them? I was out getting a apple and he was in a new level when I came back.

Defuser said:
btw did he beat them? I was out getting a apple and he was in a new level when I came back.

Nah, he died again and then I think he switched level.

Also, I haven't been watching for the last 10 minutes or so - can anyone explain what that floating red light behind his head is?

glaurung

Bootaaay said:
Nah, he died again and then I think he switched level.

Also, I haven't been watching for the last 10 minutes or so - can anyone explain what that floating red light behind his head is?

I'd like to know the meaning of that red flame as well.

Also, he now has a blue orb below the HP gauge - wasn't there before. Skill upgrades?

Shit cans, I'm missing so much! He's beaten a total of what, 4 bosses so far? The one in the church is called the Idol of Fools I believe (seems like an awesome boss btw). Wish I could hardwire this feed into my brain so I don't miss anything. Is he still getting slammed or does it look to be cake once you get skills/stats up?

I mean shit, am I in a dream? This game is beautiful yet intense. It really hits the spot for a mature and dark RPG. It's very faithful to the KF series without tarnishing it's reputation--not to mention that it improves on some things.

It just seems like this game came from out of nowhere; a fucking beast just waiting for it's audience. Let's hope it does very well in Japan and the other Asian territories. *Did I read correctly that it's on the JPN Amazon's Top 10 pre-order or something?

EDIT: Perhaps the flame indicates ome sort of fire magic, maybe even a mastery of fire magic?

EDIT : Did anyone catch if he came across this yet:
11.png

Very curious about this 'character' and the context of his appearance...

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wow, I missed a lot since yesterday I see. Giant knight bosses? Ifrit?! Damn! I think I'm going on media blackout now, though. Don't want to spoil too much of the game.

This game sounds really interesting. I guess I'll be importing for the first time since the original Playstation if no localization plans are announced in the new few months.

glaurung

Yeah, he's downloading the KZ2 demo now.

But he also found a place to exploit souls in Demon's Souls.

There's a place where killing the miniboss immediately kills all of his minions, netting 5k of soul currency. Dang.

glaurung said:
Yeah, he's downloading the KZ2 demo now.

But he also found a place to exploit souls in Demon's Souls.

There's a place where killing the miniboss immediately kills all of his minions, netting 5k of soul currency. Dang.

Is that just a nice trick, or a game-breaker? What are the implications?

Bootaaay said:
If you order the Asian version that launches on the 24th, then yes - it'll have English text.

What about voiceovers? I read somewhere in this thread that the Japanese version has them.

Kyleripman said:
What about voiceovers? I read somewhere in this thread that the Japanese version has them.

Both the Asian and the Japanese version have English voice-overs. Japanese version has Japanese text/subtitles; Asian version has full English support, as well as Chinese text/subtitles.

Mirimar said:
Seems the player I posted before lost his old character somehow. He started over with a new male Thief and is using the abilities to their fullest. He makes the game look a hell of a lot more fun to play and damn, the thief is quick.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6053793

Thanks for the link, i've been interested to see how a thief type character plays and that guy sure makes it look good - can't believe the justin.tv guy hasn't been using parries, they look so usefull especially with that stabbing lunge afterwards. Also, noticed the cool backwards faint the thief can do - I think i'll be starting out with this class for sure.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
That fella on justin.tv got owned by the flying demon, two of them eventually, and quit :lol

He just keeps failing to kill the first one before it can summon the second - it looks like quite an easy fight with just the one demon, but as soon as the second ones summoned he just gets his ass kicked :p

The stream doesn't seem to be working for me, but the other videos from that Japanese site are.

It seems they've solved the clipping issues from TGS. Rolling through barrels and such is nice.

What's the consensus, gaf? It looks nice? I'm liking it, but I've only seen ~1 minute of footage.

Bootaaay said:
He just keeps failing to kill the first one before it can summon the second - it looks like quite an easy fight with just the one demon, but as soon as the second ones summoned he just gets his ass kicked :p

:lol yea, makes sense. It's gotta be quite frustrating but so worth it! He still doesn't use the skills offered to his advantage, I haven't seen him parry once. Does he even block?

EDIT: The player on NicoNico is so awesome. That's how the game is meant to be played without a doubt. There was even some slow-motion counter with his shield, WTF was that?!

Mirimar

It's nice to see people in Japan playing this, but I have no idea which play diaries to follow now =( Didn't expect to see so many and I'm wondering why none of them have created magic users. I'll have to stick to 2 now, one thief and one bow/2H axe using knight.

Mirimar said:
It's nice to see people in Japan playing this, but I have no idea which play diaries to follow now =( Didn't expect to see so many and I'm wondering why none of them have created magic users. I'll have to stick to 2 now, one thief and one bow/2H axe using knight.

I know, a lot have popped up lately. I really like how this guy plays ( the thief) but I definitely want to see some magic users. The combat is quite competent when you see someone who can figure it out playing it. What's the link to the bow character, I haven't seen that in action yet.

What I also like about the NicoNico playthroughs is they aren't streams so you won't miss anything

EDIT: Looks like it's already backordered on Amazon.co.jp -- selling that well I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom