• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Mirimar said:
Finally, someone got the game and is posting a playthrough on NicoNico Douga. Hopefully he's more interesting to watch than this streaming guy. On with Part 1!

Wow, I absolutely love the ambient music at the character creation screen.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6047453

Thanks a ton! Let us know if he makes a Part 2.

I order through play-asia usually, never had a hard to with them shipping quickly here in the States. Hopefully this won't be an exception!

Edit: At the 16 minute mark in that video, he finally gets his character's hair just right and moves into the story line. Sounds really interesting!

birdchili

BlueTsunami said:
The moment I had seen one of those reaper type ghosts with the scythes, I fucking ran out of there.
i do get why people can't get into these games, but i find this sort of design so compelling for a more open-ended exploration arpg. make scary monsters *look* scary, put them in creepy environments, and then don't apologize for butchering the pc if he or she wanders in without being suitably kitted-up first.

hopefully if Demon's Souls does well, the gang at From will get the green light to make another first person game in this style - the perspective is so good for this kind of dark, dangerous atmosphere.

Just got an interesting little email from NCSx - I had asked them if they received an explanation as to why the delay happened. The email said that they didn't get an official one from the publisher, but that one of their Hong Kong vendors says it was because of the English subtitling...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Diseased Yak said:
Thanks a ton! Let us know if he makes a Part 2.

I order through play-asia usually, never had a hard to with them shipping quickly here in the States. Hopefully this won't be an exception!

Edit: At the 16 minute mark in that video, he finally gets his character's hair just right and moves into the story line. Sounds really interesting!

Too lazy to set up another nico account, but how detailed is character creation?

Kagari said:
Too lazy to set up another nico account, but how detailed is character creation?

Seems to be quite. Facial features like chin, ears, eyes, nose. Hair color, etc... He's definitely making an ugly character ATM !

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kagari said:

Lots of sliders and such, but the guy ended up making one fugly chick. Looked to be fairly robust, though.

Vol. 1of the same guys stream - plays it well. But damn I love the cut-scenes. The beginning segment is very cool and narrated very well. The characters in the Nexus are so interesting so far...

EDIT: The player's commentary is hilarious...I can tell he gets anxious when something sneaks up on him. It's like the English equivalent of saying "Whoa whoa whoa!"

Vol.2 is indeed the most interesting (IE:engaging) gameplay I've seen yet. I'm ready to preorder from PlayAsia as long as I know there will be english text ...which is all but confirmed yes?

EDIT: yeah, player commentary is pretty funny :D

AgentOtaku said:
Vol.2 is indeed the most interesting (IE:engaging) gameplay I've seen yet. I'm ready to preorder from PlayAsia as long as I know there will be english text ...which is all but confirmed yes?

EDIT: yeah, player commentary is pretty funny :D

100% confirmed yes.

grendelrt

Does anyone know if you get new armor in the game and if it changes your appearance? Been watching the stream and he hasnt ever changed looks.

Mirimar

Yea, not watching that stream any longer. He still hasn't changed his style of play. I'll be following these play diaries on Nico from now on.

Missed the Black Phantom did I? Damn, loving every minute of this but I've really gotta stop watching. I don't want to watch the whole game! I want to be surprised to some extent!!

I'm rejoicing that there's a current gen game longer than 10 hours x:

I do believe this fella has made the choice to wear the armor but you can in fact wear other things.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Missed the Black Phantom did I? Damn, loving every minute of this but I've really gotta stop watching. I don't want to watch the whole game! I want to be surprised to some extent!!

I'm rejoicing that there's a current gen game longer than 10 hours x:

I do believe this fella has made the choice to wear the armor but you can in fact wear other things.

This is a RPG, of course it was going to be longer than 10 hours... right?

Kagari said:
This is a RPG, of course it was going to be longer than 10 hours... right?

Haha of course, I'm just fucking around really. But so far I haven't bought many current gen games that have lasted a good amount of time.

:lol It looks funny when you run over corpses, they seem to sometimes get stuck at the players feet and drag along like roadkill stuck to a car. Judging only from the stream I'm watching, it looks like a definite purchase!

Troidal

I cant watch the stream at the office, but I was wondering if anyone can answer my question.

I read that there are no save points inside the dungeon, so when you die, you go back to the hub or whatever it's called. Does all your experience points remain after that, kinda like Diablo I guess where you retain your exp, but your gears are lost.

WYWY

Troidal said:
I read that there are no save points inside the dungeon, so when you die, you go back to the hub or whatever it's called. Does all your experience points remain after that, kinda like Diablo I guess where you retain your exp, but your gears are lost.
I think it's back to the starting point of the dungeon, not back to the hub. Once back to the hub the whole dungeon is re-populated again. Experience and gear seems to be retained. I *think* soul is halved but you can get it back by touching the location you perished.

Anyway someone is here is getting it within the next 24 hours, or already have it.

lupinko

templeusox said:
So correct me if I'm wrong: there is online co-op, but it needs to be earned first?

iirc, co-op is in the form of you being a soul helping someone else out, usually in the form of leaving hints and guiding them.

I see.

OK, next, more rhetorical question: How have I not bought this game yet?

Edit: Holy shit at the beast currently on-screen and the flying manta ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom