• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax hits US Oct. 6, pre-order OST

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
When Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax releases this fall on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, each launch copy will include a special Bonus Edition Soundtrack CD. The songs on the CD are inspired by classic SEGA titles, with contributions by notable SEGA composers such as Teruhiko Nakagawa (Shinobi), Naofumi Hataya (NiGHTS into Dreams…), Kenichi Tokoi (Sonic and the Secret Rings), Jun Senoue (Sonic Adventure series, Sonic Heroes, Sonic and the Black Knight), and others. The soundtrack will be only available for pre-orders and a limited quantity of launch edition retail games.

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax is a 2D crossover fighting game featuring popular characters from Japanese novels published under the Dengeki Bunko label, and will be available this October in retail stores and digitally on PlayStation Network. The game will be $39.99 for the PS3 version and $29.99 for the PS Vita version.

The Dengeki Bunko collection boasts a vast array of beloved characters who lend themselves flawlessly to this highly balanced, easy-to-learn, high-action 2D fighting game. In Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax players attack, guard, and take damage in order to build their Climax Meter, allowing them to execute moves which recreate highlight scenes from the original novels, even adding specially arranged animations for characters who do not fight in the original works. The game includes characters from numerous Dengeki Bunko works alongside several fan-favorite SEGA characters brought together in SEGA-themed environments.

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax is slated for release on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and via digital download on PlayStation Network in October 2015.

20120134435_4956b0f179.jpg

Via Sega Blog

It appears to be the one that Japan got, consisting of 29 tracks.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I love preorder OSTs. Good thing I locked my copy for cheap, thanks to the based E3 Canadian deals. I wonder if the Vita and PS3 versions are cross-play.

I know. I'm kind of surprised they didn't do a reverse cover.

Trying to see if I can get confirmation from Sega about the OST being the same one as Japan.

Normally I'd guess it would be the same soundtrack minus the main theme that is usually cut, BUT they used that song in the announcement trailer so it might be the same.

Got the Vita version on pre-order from Amazon.ca with the E3 30% pre-order discount.

I'm glad I ordered the Vita version instead. I already own an imported PS3 copy, but I didn't know the two versions had different box art. I'll take Biribiri and Shizuo over Shana and Kirito any day

PS: Go buy the Durarara LN, it got localized in NA last week.

shaowebb

*Edited for readability*
JfQWaLI.jpg

Additionally this game has stages from Sega's:
Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone---------------------------------------------------------------- NiGHTS into Dreams
eT7DuVv.jpg
WrTBlWW.jpg

PSO2lobby]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------7th Dragoon
iL8ueH6.jpg
TlAybGD.jpg

Shinobi Temple]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Valkyria Chronicles
46bwhhP.jpg
JXOxUsV.jpg

Virtua Fighter 5]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Border Break
9P1rjY6.jpg
kRyFZds.jpg

OMG Aero

So they are bringing across the original game even though a rebalanced version with extra characters is announced for Japan?

shaowebb

This game has some fun tools including the following:

• universal overhead that autoguards on startup and can be followed up with a launcher
  • universal magic series combos as well as a universal mashable 5 hit light attack combo making folks able to hit confirm and convert into things easier without as much execution
  • a universal crouching and/or neutral attack that can be cancelled into various tools in the game to give everyone at least one standing and crouching cancel
  • jump cancels across the roster on various normals and a special limited buff state where everything becomes jump cancellable
  • A KOF XIII-esque thing called Trump card that converts an icon into a meter and allows you to chain any and all normals together in any order, call support cast at no cost and with no startup animations to slow them down, jump cancel anything, and it can be extended in duration with another tool
  • extend actions that are character and button specific that change the properties of some attacks making reads trickier
  • -Universal Potential-
    A brief power-up that is activated when certain conditions are met. When the
    character’s life is under 30%, their attack power is increased by 10% and
    health is slowly regenerated. If the opponent is on match point, the player’s
    attack power is raised to 20%. The duration lasts about 20 seconds.
  • A blast icon that charges faster the lower your health is and that can be spent like an Alpha counter, a self buff into a launcher or a self buff into a wallbounce. Basically how you spend it changes its recharge rate and also some of the ways you spend it net you faster meter gain and free stock. Its also usable like an Xfactor cancel.

for the record I don't know hardly any cast in this game. I just research every fighter out there in hopes of finding noteworthy systems and things to study in the genre. My thoughts on Dengeki is that its VERY good and pretty fast with tons of potential for cancels, comebacks, and crazy combos with its stuff. Its also very beginner friendly while having enough tools to become VERY advanced in tourney play.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So they are bringing across the original game even though a rebalanced version with extra characters is announced for Japan?
That version hasn't even been ported for consoles yet.

shaowebb

I'd be down for some Dokuro Chan assists. She's about the only thing I recognize. Bludgeoning Angel assist too stronk if its like the show lol.

MJPIA

Annnnnnd preordered.
This game is why I bought a vita.
Vita version gets a collectible box as well.

Amazon has a blurb about preordering and receiving the soundtrack but gamestop and best buy don't which seems weird.
Would be surprised if they didn't have it though.

SephLuis

I really need to get back to this.

Will they translate the novels that are available in the game ? No need to, but it would be great.

ZoronMaro

Still not over how surprised I am this got localized. Also Japan got an OST? Because I imported the game and all I got was a crappy art book.

Since I imported the PS3 version I could get the vita, assuming I'm not still absorbed in Skullgirls at that point.

MJPIA

Will they translate the novels that are available in the game ? No need to, but it would be great.
Sword art online, the devil is a part timer, oreimo, accel world, a certain magical index, the irregular at magic high, black bullet, shakugan no Shana (only the first two novels before license was dropped), durarara!!, toradora and strike the blood have been licensed and the books are being translated and released.

Unfortunately some of them have not been licensed yet but fan translations are floating around the internet for the most of the rest.

Nyoro SF

Glad I can finally play some of my fellow Americans.

The game's online mode is basic but useful and straight to the point. It's all delay based in traditional fashion, so bad connections will play like "underwater" matches.

You can already buy
Devil is a part timer v1
Sword Art Online v 1-4 + SAO Progressive v 1-2
DRRR! (V1 came out last week)
Accel World v 1 - 4
Index v 1 - 4
Spice and Wolf

Irregular At Magic High School v1 comes out this fall
Black Bullet v1 in fall
Strike The Blood v1 in fall

SephLuis

Sword art online, the devil is a part timer, oreimo, accel world, a certain magical index, the irregular at magic high, black bullet, shakugan no Shana (only the first two novels before license was dropped), durarara!!, toradora and strike the blood have been licensed and the books are being translated and released.

Unfortunately some of them have not been licensed yet but fan translations are floating around the internet for the most of the rest.

You can already buy
Devil is a part timer
Sword Art Online + SAO Progressive
DRRR! (V1 came out last week)
Accel World
Index
Spice and Wolf

Irregular At Magic High School v1 comes out this fall
Black Bullet v1 in fall
Strike The Blood v1 in fall

In the game there is one volume, if I am not mistaken, for each novel. If it's all licensed, I doubt they will retain this for the US release.

Also, about Durarara, how many volumes have been released in english ?
I searched Amazon for it and found about 6 volumes, I guess. They divided into arcs instead of numbers, so i made me confused about how many have been translated.

shaowebb

Stiff animations.
Unimaginative movesets.
Weak character design.

Speed looks ok, now that I have seen better play. Selvaria would be my only interest in this game. Any high level play of her?

Movesets and character designs are largely based on their source material if not entirely based on it at times. Plus considering there are characters who fight you using Sega UFO machines and such I can't say they are being too unimaginative here dude. Just got to stay true to source material pretty heavily. Besides...its not like Ryu is anything more than a bandanna and Karate Gi.

Got no clue where you get Stiff animations from though. Count some frames. Normals and such are very fast from what I'm seeing here. There is no real room for longer animation frames so use the intro pose, slash, outro pose method to convey impact or nothing. The specials, meaties, and supers look pretty good and they use more frames so I'm really at a loss here on this animation stuff.

Baiken does this same exact animation stuff. What's probably making it stiff is since the character designs lack much in terms of follow through objects that you can't really play off those snappy moves as much as folks like Baiken could with her long sleeves that'd continue moving after attacks and such. Not a lot of hair flipping, or swooshes of fabric to sell animations that need to come out and recover quick. Cancelling those frames is easy and looks fine, but having tween heavy animations on the actual attack motions that cancel into the next hit of a combo early looks clunky so it is what it is. Same method as Baiken but many lack the visual accessories to sell it. Probably why slashes, hit sparks and so much is so large in this game...to provide follow through to attacks.

No clue on Selvaria. I'm digging youtube. I'm really intrigued by all the tools in this. Assists, Xfactor like tools, air dashes, and bursts has me very intrigued.

In the game there is one volume, if I am not mistaken, for each novel. If it's all licensed, I doubt they will retain this for the US release.

Also, about Durarara, how many volumes have been released in english ?
I searched Amazon for it and found about 6 volumes, I guess. They divided into arcs instead of numbers, so i made me confused about how many have been translated.

There is only 1 DRRR Light novel volume released in english, came last week. The rest of those listings are the manga volumes.

I thought the game sample of the novels is just the first chapter, not the first volume.

Shizuka

There are trophies for those on the english trophy list, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were translated.

Movesets and character designs are largely based on their source material if not entirely based on it at times. Plus considering there are characters who fight you using Sega UFO machines and such I can't say they are being too unimaginative here dude. Just got to stay true to source material pretty heavily.

Got no clue where you get Stiff animations from though. Count some frames. Normals and such are very fast from what I'm seeing here. There is no real room for longer animation frames so use the intro pose, slash, outro pose method to convey impact or nothing. The specials, meaties, and supers look pretty good and they use more frames so I'm really at a loss here on this animation stuff.

Baiken does this same exact animation stuff. What's probably making it stiff is since the character designs lack much in terms of follow through objects that you can't really play off those snappy moves as much as folks like Baiken could with her long sleeves that'd continue moving after attacks and such. Not a lot of hair flipping, or swooshes of fabric to sell animations that need to come out and recover quick. Cancelling those frames is easy and looks fine, but having tween heavy animations on the actual attack motions that cancel into the next hit of a combo early looks clunky so it is what it is. Same method as Baiken but many lack the visual accessories to sell it. Probably why slashes, hit sparks and so much is so large in this game...to provide follow through to attacks.

No clue on Selvaria. I'm digging youtube. I'm really intrigued by all the tools in this. Assists, Xfactor like tools, air dashes, and bursts has me very intrigued.
The animations are basic and minimal. Stick figures in most instances.

Okay, the source characters are generic and uninteresting. Doesn't help.

Block animations are especially bad. Just stuck in one stiff pose while sparks fly around.

LegatoB

The game has bad animation -- I'd say actually worse than most of French Bread's old fan productions, check out Railgun's two frame jump -- and boring character designs, but it's actually really fun. It's easy to pick up and play for people who know much at all about fighting games, and even for newbies there's not a ton of complicated execution requirements. Character balance isn't that bad, there's some amusing assist shenanigans, and you probably won't end up on a watch list for purchasing it.

And hey, the US console release of last year's version is only coming out about two months after the new Japanese arcade version! TAKE THAT ARC SYSTEM WORK-- oh

shaowebb

The animations are basic and minimal. Stick figures in most instances.

Okay, the source characters are generic and uninteresting. Doesn't help.

Block animations are especially bad. Just stuck in one stiff pose while sparks fly around.

*eyeroll*
I swear its every anime game with folks these days...

Game looks fine Karst. You're just seeing things in too negative a light. In Marvel Morrigan is suddenly covered in batwings to block and doesnt move while sparks fly everywhere, Phoenix wright is holding his hands in front of him with sparks flying around and not moving,and so on and so forth. In SF Ryu and the rest all assume their pose to block and sparks fly. Its a block they all do this ...only high animation character I can think of for blocking off the top of my head is Slayer from guilty gear with him waving his hand back and forth.

I don't even know what your getting at with stick figure analogies...do you mean key frame poses are too fast still? I covered that there aren't a lot of frames to work with because those are some fast normals out there. Most of the animation and followthrough is on the sparks for the reasons I stated earlier.

Producer

Clearly the game was made on a budget but it has a good developer behind it and the core game looks solid. And they made up for the late localization with the lower price. Just hoping online isnt dead within a couple of weeks.

*eyeroll*
I swear its every anime game with folks these days...

Game looks fine Karst. You're just seeing things in too negative a light. In Marvel Morrigan is suddenly covered in batwings to block and doesnt move while sparks fly everywhere, Phoenix wright is holding his hands in front of him with sparks flying around and not moving,and so on and so forth. In SF Ryu and the rest all assume their pose to block and sparks fly. Its a block they all do this ...only high animation character I can think of for blocking off the top of my head is Slayer from guilty gear with him waving his hand back and forth.

I don't even know what your getting at with stick figure analogies...do you mean key frame poses are too fast still? I covered that there aren't a lot of frames to work with because those are some fast normals out there. Most of the animation and followthrough is on the sparks for the reasons I stated earlier.
Every anime game?

I own Xrd and BlazBlue, and I have a downloaded version of UNIEL and P4AU thanks to someone's generosity here. UNIEL has the same problem, though - the characters are just so awful looking outside of a few like Merkava, Hilda, and the dude that attacks with blood.

Plenty of characters have small ongoing animations while blocking to give them extra life. Even just breathing.

I wanted to be pumped for this because it has Selvaria - I'm not biased against it, and I've never been part of the "fuck anime" crew in FGW.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
UNIEL has the same problem, though - the characters are just so awful looking outside of a few like Merkava, Hilda, and the dude that attacks with blood.
Karst pls. UNIEL's character design is hella stylish. I'd take it over Blazblue's trope festival any day of the week.

shaowebb

Every anime game?

I own Xrd and BlazBlue, and I have a downloaded version of UNIEL and P4AU thanks to someone's generosity here. UNIEL has the same problem, though - the characters are just so awful looking outside of a few like Merkava, Hilda, and the dude that attacks with blood.

Plenty of characters have small ongoing animations while blocking to give them extra life. Even just breathing.

I wanted to be pumped for this because it has Selvaria - I'm not biased against it, and I've never been part of the "fuck anime" crew in FGW.

Sorry...I just get these kind of complaints lumped in with a lot of other stuff these days that make no sense to me. I will admit...the butterfly wing girl has some stiff jumps. Longer animations shouldn't be low on frames like that. A lot of this stuff still looks fine to me though.

Top Bottom