• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dental care without insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my wisdom teeth out 2 months ago, was about $1700 in total for all 4 + the general anasthesia (insurance paid about $1200 of that), cleanings usually around $150 and fillings about $200, I dont think I've seen any be more than that.

Consider yourself lucky. Those prices are very cheap, Kagari. I mean, "cheap" in comparison to what most dentists charge. I'm in Canada and in a similar situation. You may be able to talk them down a bit. My dentist wanted $350 for a cleaning, X-rays, and just an overall checkup but they agreed to give me a deal for $160. Still expensive for me but better than before. Don't get your wisdom teeth removed unless they are bothering you, I say. Biggest scam ever. That costs $1400 to remove all 4 here.

DJ_Lae

Very cheap compared to here in Canada. I just had a cleaning done a few weeks back and it totaled nearly $300.

Had a few fillings replaced too, at nearly $500 a pop. Nine teeth resurfaced for wear and four fillings replaced came to about five grand.

coldvein

Banned
some places will give you pretty cheap dental care on some sort of sliding-income-scale-thingy. a buddy of mine just got a couple fillings for like $60. we are, however, legitimately poor, which you might not be, i dunno. (that is a lot of commas).

DanteFox

Had a cleaning last week at my University's Dental office. Turns out the exhorbitant fees they charge us don't give us Dental Insurance. :lol

A cleaning without X rays ran me $180.

Thanks higher education!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've spent nearly $4000 this year on dental work (~$1900 for a root canal and crown and ~$1900 for wisdom teeth removal, plus a few hundred for cleanings and X Rays). All of it was out of pocket since I am unemployed. God bless America.

Zoe

Archie said:
I've spent nearly $4000 this year on dental work (~$1900 for a root canal and crown and ~$1900 for wisdom teeth removal, plus a few hundred for cleanings and X Rays). All of it was out of pocket since I am unemployed. God bless America.

i live in australia and have public health care (there is private and public here) and still had to pay about $3000 AUS to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled.

???

Anyway, dental insurance is hardly ever like health insurance. It's more of a discount program than actual insurance.

2mutf.jpg

totowhoa

Banned
If you live in the south you can go down to Juarez and have your dental work on the cheap. My father-in-law is fairly makes a few hundred grand per year but still does this. He likes to use it as an excuse to visit though, I guess (he's not Mexican, just likes the culture). It's very, very, very cheap. Quite clean and safe as well, despite all the negative stereotypes you hear about the country. Granted, it may depend on the clinic you visit, but there are a lot of dental practices on the border of Mexico that "specialize" in American patients right across the border. Due to laws, taxes, etc., they can offer very low prices. You can find bus services and whatnot to assist you in reaching them quite easily. Even if you're a 6 hour drive from the border, this may be a cheaper bet depending on how much work you want to do.

You can also go to a dental school. My mother is a dental hygienist. While it may sound iffy having students work on you, they are being supervised constantly.

Do you have a low income? In my town of only slightly more than 100k, we have an organization that allows low income individuals to apply for discounted rates. "Friends of Norman" in Norman, OK it is called... so it's not directly related to any practice. I believe the dentists volunteer there (or work for cheap) from various practices, but I'm not sure. You can get a root canal for 200 bucks I believe or an extraction for 40 bucks. Pretty damn cheap, really. And they'll work out a payment plan if it's necessary. You have to prove that you're low-income, though... it's not a charity for one-and-all. I'm not sure what their definition of low-income, as I referred a friend to them (like I said, I've got a dental hygienist mother, so this isn't an issue for me personally).

These three things are the only three ways of which I know to receive discounted dental care without insurance or a friendly/family connection.

Mindlog

Shop around for a cheap policy. I picked one up when I was uninsured for a period of time. I got my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed for ~$120 in addition to the annual plan which iirc ran me less than $200.

Dental plans are very affordable. I agree they're more like a discount plan, but the discounts can be quite considerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom