• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denver/Colorado |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Thank you! If you have any recommendations for good seasonal markets, I'd also be very interested in hearing about those. The one I live by now is one of the largest in the region/Midwest, so I'm not expecting a one-to-one substitute by any means, just some options for getting my farmers market fix.

Here's what I've been able to find:
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Colorado Farmers' Markets.pdf
Here's your standard farmer's markets that operate during the May - October. I've gone to the one in Littleton and I think it's really nice. The one in/around Cherry Creek is apparently nice as well.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/WinterFarmersMarkets.pdf
Here's the ones that run during the winter. Honestly don't know anything about them though.

The Department of Agriculture has an app out for Apple and Android called, "Colorado Farm Fresh" I'm going to try it out.

Laekon

from golden it's usually better to take 6th ave into downtown. It can back up but it's one of the better freeways in the city. With no traffic it's 25 minutes to/from Golden. There's even a train most of the way there, depending on where you're going. Our highway traffic sucks but it's nothing like LA traffic.

Golden to Denver is easy if you can avoid having to travel on I-25.

I hate that Golden is the only "regional" stop on the W line, meaning it costs twice as much to ride the train from Golden to Denver as it does if you got off one stop earlier.

If anyone is looking for a place in Golden, my roommate gave 30 days notice yesterday and then decided to move out this morning so I have a master bedroom/bathroom in a brand new manufactured home coming up for rent. PM for the details.

Also if anyone wants to mountain bike or learn how to mountain bike, I teach children and adults.

Good to know about the driving. I'll have to do more research on salaries. One of the reasons I want to move to Golden is mtn biking. Great trails in town and some of the best in the world within a 3 hour drive. Should get Yeti on board with your business since they are in town.

Sapiens

Why are there so many homeless people in Denver? I mean, it seems out of the ordinary to me that I see not only the homeless, but homeless families...

Armadilo

Banned
So my plans are to move to aurora or near it. As the college is in aurora and I'm from California. Moving away for the first time. plan is to move by summer of 2018.

Early but at the same time, I have to prepare. I live in a small town in California.

What would you guys recommend me to do as I get closer to the day I leave California to Colorado.

I'm going to try save some money and such. Going to follow my dreams and just go for it.

So my plans are to move to aurora or near it. As the college is in aurora and I'm from California. Moving away for the first time. plan is to move by summer of 2018.

Early but at the same time, I have to prepare. I live in a small town in California.

What would you guys recommend me to do as I get closer to the day I leave California to Colorado.

I'm going to try save some money and such. Going to follow my dreams and just go for it.

Do you have a bicycle? Denver is very bike friendly.

I fear what it will be a year from now when I start looking. Don't really want to spend $400k to live in Parker or Littleton. But my in-laws decided to move out here and just bought a place off Tower Road for $380k.

studyguy

Hitting the snow there next month.
Went to Keystone, Brekenridge last year. Probably doing Breke again or Copper. Dunno which would be good in early March. I loved Brekenridge but Copper is apparently super dope too.

im not familiar with LoHi, can you explain please?

10-15 years ago, that area was not desirable at all. Property was cheap but due to gentrification and the rate that Denver is growing, it has turned into a trendy spot and houses are crazy expensive now. If buying in Montbello, you are hoping the same thing happens so your investment pays off.

10-15 years ago, that area was not desirable at all. Property was cheap but due to gentrification and the rate that Denver is growing, it has turned into a trendy spot and houses are crazy expensive now. If buying in Montbello, you are hoping the same thing happens so your investment pays off.

ahh okay. thanks for the explanation.

Couleurs

The city's going to be putting ~$30 million into Sun Valley starting this summer; building new mixed income housing/parks/commercial space with hopes that it leads to further redevelopment, and maybe wont be as shitty in a few years.

So if you want to go for a real longshot, there's another option closer to downtown (plus light rail nearby). Of course it's in the very early stages and might not work out as planned, but if you're up for a gamble then hey.

thespot84

The city's going to be putting ~$30 million into Sun Valley starting this summer; building new mixed income housing/parks/commercial space with hopes that it leads to further redevelopment, and maybe wont be as shitty in a few years.

So if you want to go for a real longshot, there's another option closer to downtown (plus light rail nearby). Of course it's in the very early stages and might not work out as planned, but if you're up for a gamble then hey.

Sun Valley is a much better option. Like lohi it benefits from proximity to downtown. Montbello has no walkability, no good access to public transit, I just don't see it ever taking off. It's a square mile surrounded by industrial nothingness

Sun Valley is a much better option. Like lohi it benefits from proximity to downtown. Montbello has no walkability, no good access to public transit, I just don't see it ever taking off. It's a square mile surrounded by industrial nothingness

This is the reason why I didn't want to buy a new place in Midtown. I would love to have moved to Stapleton but it was just a bit out of my that what I was willing to pay. I ended up getting a home in Green Mountain which is even further out but I like the scenery and how quiet things are.

I've lived in Five Points, Curtis Park, Rino, Ballpark, Cap Hill and now I'm in Aurora.

Love my city damnit!

Go check out The Mutiny bookstore and The Syntax Physic Opera.

Armadilo

Banned
I have food job experience, fast food to restaurants. By the time I'm there I should have a year working with customer service. So I should be able to cashier somewhere . Better chance of getting something with my resume

led4lyfe

I live in Centennial and will sell you my house for $420k.

Just throwing that out there.
I moved out from willow creek last year. Houses are ridiculously priced in that area.

Also if you're playing the long game I strongly recommend looking at houses around Pena Blvd near the new Gaylord that is being built (Green Valley Ranch or whatever new neighborhood pops up). I have a friend who bought a house for nothing in Maryland prior to the Gaylord being built there and it's valued well over 500k now.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Hitting the snow there next month.
Went to Keystone, Brekenridge last year. Probably doing Breke again or Copper. Dunno which would be good in early March. I loved Brekenridge but Copper is apparently super dope too.

My friends prefer Breckenridge over Copper but both resorts are really nice. Vail is fucking amazing and if you've got the time check out Crested Butte or Steamboat which from what I hear are the cream of the crop of ski resorts in CO.

Saganator

I'm never gonna be able to afford a house in Denver :(

If I was making what I make now just a few years ago I could've afforded one easy.

$1200/mo rent for places that used to go for ~$800/mo a few years ago is so depressing.

I moved out from willow creek last year. Houses are ridiculously priced in that area.

Also if you're playing the long game I strongly recommend looking at houses around Pena Blvd near the new Gaylord that is being built (Green Valley Ranch or whatever new neighborhood pops up). I have a friend who bought a house for nothing in Maryland prior to the Gaylord being built there and it's valued well over 500k now.

just so far from DTC, where i work :( but those houses look pretty good! and 225 is a nightmare with any weather -_- ...

led4lyfe

just so far from DTC, where i work :( but those houses look pretty good! and 225 is a nightmare with any weather -_- ...
I drove from Willow Creek to DIA 5 days a week for a year. I was stuck in my car for like 12 hours last march during that blizzard that shut down Pena.

Never living that far away from work ever again.

I'm starting to get worried that house prices are going to be so expensive come next year that I won't be able to find anything under 500k in DTC, Littleton, or Centennial. Right now my search has been pretty much narrowed to Parker or having to live really far away from our jobs.

super long game, GVR has nothing there besides houses.

I'm starting to get worried that house prices are going to be so expensive come next year that I won't be able to find anything under 500k in DTC, Littleton, or Centennial. Right now my search has been pretty much narrowed to Parker or having to live really far away from our jobs.

I think you will be fine. If your max is 500K, you can find plenty of solid homes in Littleton.

Yo, Colorado native sounding off. I've lived all up and down the Front Range, currently live in Northern Colorado.

The only real way I'm getting by is renting a house from my wife's parents for far under the average rent around here.

deadlast

Well this is weird... I just received a recruitment email from Denver. I used to live in Aurora, in 98.
If i worked in Downtown Denver, near the capitol, where should I live? How is the commuting from sensibly priced neighborhoods?
Also, where are the best schools for kids on the spectrum?

Shouldn't be that hard to find a job in Aurora/ Denver, right? Regular minimum wage job

There are plenty of food service, customer service, phone center, or warehouse jobs available. Mostly because those jobs don't pay a living wage here.

You should be able to grab a $10-12/hour job fairly readily.

The temp agencies will get you something quickly. You will need to pass a drug screen though. It won't be a lab, but a mouth swab or a piss cup in office, so not too hard to beat if that's a problem for you.

thespot84

They on both on South Broadway. In the last year or two, I've found Broadway is hiding lots of great places.

Lol my buddy just posted on facebook that he played a show at syntax physic opera last night. Denver's growing but you still get lots of 'small town' moments here.

MickD

Live in Parker and work in Glendale. Would rather be in the western mountains to be honest but shouldn't complain. Will probably never be able to afford a house here. Kind Love has the best herb ever and Las Tortas has a really great torta.. pm me if anyone is looking for creative work, I need a new job

Dont give anymore attention to Denver!!! haha....just kidding. As a Denver native its getting extremely compact and hard to live here anymore. But majority of people I have met from out of town are super good hearted and nice people. Just sucks the original culture is fading away. I've accepted it and welcome the change. I do plan to move to another state in the same fashion and experience something different. San Diego or Austin are the place I have in my sights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom