• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destination PlayStation starts today, what can we expect???

Liamario

Banned
The IW that cared left and is now making Titanfall.

I don't know how people keep failing to realise this fact. Infinity ward, the folks who made MW1 and MW2, no longer exists. That name is now nothing more than a brand that Activision like to continually tarnish.

On a side note, RARE are also just a brand name and those of you keep connecting the existing team to the one that made all those games you loved a decade ago, need to wake up and let the dream die.

I still don't think there'd be another MW. It was a trilogy and now IW are planning a Ghost trilogy.

Anyway, the guy that claimed it was a new MW apparently got a run down of everything from DP but only remembered CoD and some Rockstar game that didn't even show up there? Come on!

DualShockers found some more comments on it. Destiny seemst o be the star of the show from the games they're allowed to talk about

Toys"R"Us employee

Favorite games I can talk about: Destiny and Infamous. On stuff I can’t talk about, gamers are going to be very excited with the Fall!

Everyone brought their A game for fall lineup. Ubisoft was the biggest surprise and Activision certainly the most theatrical. Destiny!

ShopTo employee

News from Destination PlayStation is that Destiny looks amazing.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...s-are-going-to-be-very-excited-with-the-fall/

It's the next event that they've specifically mentioned has some things going down

0xLb76Q.png

Grain of salt. Sony always does this and sometimes it's never what we want to expect but everything we expect if you catch my drift. I'm neutral about this announcement.

Grain of salt. Sony always does this and sometimes it's never what we want to expect but everything we expect if you catch my drift. I'm neutral about this announcement.

To me, it's simply an indicator of when these companies will at least have 'something.' All these companies put on their hyperbole mic when talking about 'great stuff', but at least that means that we can expect something at least out of GDC. ( E3/Gamescom no-brainer )

Eg. I have zero expectations of MS in GDC, because Spencer specifically deflated any notion that there'll be a MS presence outside of the usual 'appear there as a company' role.

But for Sony, the fact that they're promoting something at GDC means it's fair to at least expect one or two indies, at the very least in that timeframe.

sense

Well ubisoft likely has watchdogs in April or May alongside trials in April. Then they probably have assassin creed game ( maybe 2 ac games if rumors are true) and then far cry. They might even have beyond good and evil 2 so that is strong lineup for them

Massa

Something big from Ubisoft, according to dualshockers.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...s-are-going-to-be-very-excited-with-the-fall/

BTW, COD news pretty much confirms COD marketing deal with Activision. This octuber we'll have both Destiny and COD marketed as PS4 shooters. MS really needs titanfall to succeed in a big way. The last thing they want is consumers to associate PS4 with a "truly" nextgen COD.

I believe Activision and Microsoft announced another 3 year partnership for CoD when the Xbox One was revealed... or was that just for Ghosts?

Alienous

I don't like making threads about random tweets from strangers, because there is a high possibility that it is bullshit. So I just post it here. Take it with a huge grain of salt.

Read from bottom to top.

vhUdpsQ.png

https://twitter.com/LOKIOLR

Code name "Black Smith", made by 'Sledgehammer' (get it?). Modern Warfare 4.

Seems too obvious to be true. Probably an eager fan making something up.

Ubisoft probably refers to yet another AssCreed with a cool looking initial trailer.

I still don't think there'd be another MW. It was a trilogy and now IW are planning a Ghost trilogy.

Anyway, the guy that claimed it was a new MW apparently got a run down of everything from DP but only remembered CoD and some Rockstar game that didn't even show up there? Come on!
I think a new MW might be happening actually.

Dinjooh

Didn't he say the same thing like over a month ago? Our definitions of soon mus tbe very different.

Oh yes, we've had Soon™ for a month now and total silence regarding the game since 18th of November.

mSznvju.jpg

I'd lean toward fake just based on the fact that he says it's the next entry in the MW series. That's wrong on two levels. It's Infinity Ward's series, and they've already moved on to Ghosts. The other reason is that MW3 was meant to end that story, so there'd obviously be no next entry. It also wouldn't make sense considering that this is Sledgehammer's first CoD game that they're building on their own. They get a chance to carve their own style like Treyarch has, so I don't see why they'd want to associate with any of the other brands.

You do realize though MW is IW's franchise, they are all owned by Activision? It's Activision's call on who makes what!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Code name "Black Smith", made by 'Sledgehammer' (get it?). Modern Warfare 4.

Seems too obvious to be true. Probably an eager fan making something up.
The Rockstar thing makes it fake. How would he even know that? "And next up would have been Rockstar, who had something amazing to share but bailed at the last minute. Moving on, here's a trailer for Destiny!"

GDC news is probably developer related like someone already said. Free Unity for example.

The Rockstar thing makes it fake. How would he even know that? "And next up would have been Rockstar, who had something amazing to share but bailed at the last minute. Moving on, here's a trailer for Destiny!"
On the schedule maybe? Still sounds fake.

Logash

I think delaying Driveclub will end up helping Sony since it didn't affect demand. Now it's another game to hold off till the fall. Of course this won't be true if it ends up coming in the fall but I think the June guess is probably right.

N.Domixis

Banned

BTW, COD news pretty much confirms COD marketing deal with Activision. This octuber we'll have both Destiny and COD marketed as PS4 shooters. MS really needs titanfall to succeed in a big way. The last thing they want is consumers to associate PS4 with a "truly" nextgen COD.

Why would Microsoft let that slip away? How stupid can they be!

Honestly, the CoD one sounds fake. Not only is it 2nd-hand knowledge from his boss, the Rockstar bit sounds dubious.

The only one that sounds truthful are the ones where it's mentioned that Ubisoft was the most surprising.

You do realize though MW is IW's franchise, they are all owned by Activision? It's Activision's call on who makes what!

So, then why wouldn't they just keep IW working on MW instead of letting them make Ghosts? They're the studio tied to the brand anyway, so it'd make more sense from a marketing standpoint to have them behind a possible MW4 than some other studio.

To me, it's simply an indicator of when these companies will at least have 'something.' All these companies put on their hyperbole mic when talking about 'great stuff', but at least that means that we can expect something at least out of GDC. ( E3/Gamescom no-brainer )

Eg. I have zero expectations of MS in GDC, because Spencer specifically deflated any notion that there'll be a MS presence outside of the usual 'appear there as a company' role.

But for Sony, the fact that they're promoting something at GDC means it's fair to at least expect one or two indies, at the very least in that timeframe.

True I guess, but it's always a huge hype for nothing. I am content with indie games because I generally love them, but i'd rather they keep the actual hype for stuff that people will be actually hype for. Ex. Uncharted 4. I wish they waited until E3 to officially announce it because at that point we could see everything. We know it's coming so show us everything than show us something we already know.

But I was hype when Uncharted 4 was announced though :p

Dinjooh

I think delaying Driveclub will end up helping Sony since it didn't affect demand. Now it's another game to hold off till the fall. Of course this won't be true if it ends up coming in the fall but I think the June guess is probably right.

Doesn't help us who bought the machine to play Driveclub. 3 months ago, urgh.

As long as we get some info soonish, i'll be happy.

No amount of marketing would mask the fact the ps4 will look the best. The days of MS trying treat multiplats as Xbox titles is over. Last gen they could do that because they had the easier development environment. Now not only does Sony have the easier system to dev for, but it is also considerably more powerful. Developers like showing off their games in their best state, and for consoles that will be PS4.

True I guess, but it's always a huge hype for nothing. I am content with indie games because I generally love them, but i'd rather they keep the actual hype for stuff that people will be actually hype for. Ex. Uncharted 4. I wish they waited until E3 to officially announce it because at that point we could see everything. We know it's coming so show us everything than show us something we already know.

But I was hype when Uncharted 4 was announced though :p

I don't like it either, but it's their job, and respectfully, to them, they treat multiplatform games as hype fuel whereas we'd prefer new, unannounced exclusives as hype fuel.

We'd go 'meh' when a new CoD, Battlefield, etc is announced... and yet these are the kind of stuff that MS/Sony calls it their 'big announcements', even though to us it's a complete no-brainer.

So, then why wouldn't they just keep IW working on MW instead of letting them make Ghosts? They're the studio tied to the brand anyway, so it'd make more sense from a marketing standpoint to have them behind a possible MW4 than some other studio.
Trying to branch out maybe? Acti likely considers Ghosts a failure, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to MW.

Trying to branch out maybe? Acti likely considers Ghosts a failure, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to MW.

They're keeping Ghosts around, IW is just not making it. It's probably going to look like this for the next three years:

IW - Ghosts
Treyarch - Black Ops
Sledgehammer - Modern Warfare

Unless Sledgehammer is making that CoD in Space thing they were originally toying with before they had to fly in and fix MW3.

cebri.one

I believe Activision and Microsoft announced another 3 year partnership for CoD when the Xbox One was revealed... or was that just for Ghosts?

Ghosts is the last COD included in the deal they signed back in 2010

Well, maybe because they have bet their money on both BF and TitanFall. I'm sure Activision ain't happy with that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Not surprised. After MS being so cozy with EA and dropping CoD from their press conference and showing BF instead last year, it was only a matter of time.

Rockstar was supposed to be showing something big at a first-party retailers event? Sounds like bs to me.

Destination PlayStation had 3rd parties as well. Heck there was a giant Destiny picture earlier in this thread.

Its a PlayStation themed retailer event? Why wouldnt Sony have 3rd parties there as well? Sony uses it to promote all of PlayStation. Not just SCE games.

Mrbob

I hope some news of the PS4 version of Diablo 3 surfaces. If Activision is there showing Destiny, they might have brought along a build of Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition as well.

Kyoufu

Destination PlayStation had 3rd parties as well. Heck there was a giant Destiny picture earlier in this thread.

Its a PlayStation themed retailer event? Why wouldnt Sony have 3rd parties there as well? Sony uses it to promote all of PlayStation. Not just SCE games.

Whenever someone says "pulled at the last minute" I roll my eyes so hard.

Some Nobody

Lot of nothing coming from Destination P so far. Telling us about games that are close to release or games that we know plenty about and have likely made up our minds on?

Yeah, the NDAs have got them locked up, but good. The only thing they're saying that I pretty much knew off jump is that the fall season would be nuts. No way that's not the case--SO many big games releasing then.

Rockstar was supposed to be showing something big at a first-party retailers event? Sounds like bs to me.
Rockstar also avoid E3.

But yeah he *thinks* the subtitle is Black Smith, so Call of Duty: Black Smith.

But actually no he also *thinks* it is the next Modern Warfare game. So he *thinks* it is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Black Smith.

But no hold on a minute because they've realised that's dumb so they *think* it must be a codename for the project.

He remembered the Golden Gate bridge but not what the game is actually called. What a load of bollocks.

Except GTA V is coming to PS4.

CamHostage

I know Futureshop leaked Sleeping Dogs, LBP Karting, and a hint at GoW: Ascension two years ago on Twitter, but I'm pretty sure they got in trouble, so nothing leaked last year.

Last year, though, everything was on lockdown because of PS4, so I don't know if they even had anything of system there since all that happened before, and the rest of the platforms had a fairly quiet year. This year, more stuff should be ready to talk about.

However, yes, it's a retailer show, not a press event so don't expect huge news (especially since they often don't treat news as huge to even the people there, it's sometimes a blink-and-you-miss-it announcement for something that GAFers might lose their minds over) unless something cool leaks.

Actually, you can unfortunately expect a lot of bullshit around that time too. Because nobody in the know can go, but then the odd store clerk will go as somebody's representative (or at least that used to be the way, I don't know the attendance of this show these days?), you get wild and unverifiable rumors that sometimes lead to something and sometimes are total bunk.

They did announce at the 2009 Destination Playstation that LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm and Assassin's Creed games for PSP, so hopefully we hear about at the very least a Drive Club release date, or some Vita 3rd party ports...

They announced LittleBigPlanet Karting at the 2012 Destination Playstation. And officially announced to the public on March 22

Public announcements? No. LBP Karting was part of a flier that was leaked from the event, I don't remember the timing of any of those PSP announcements, but as far as I know, Sony has never "announced" anything to the general audience during Destination PlayStation. It wouldn't necessarily be bad timing, though, those B-tier games (they generally save AAA for E3) that they showcase there have got to go out at some point and stuff might leak from that show anyway. I'm not sure if part of the allure of Destination PlayStation is seeing things ahead of those who don't attend (there's other business done there too, that's its primary purpose actually, but as with a lot of things, much of this could be done digitally these days without having to have bookers fly across the country,) but out of the games that have leaked from that show, I feel like there's not a lot that needed to be kept exclusive. LBPK waited a month before it fully showed itself, for example, unless the build/trailer wasn't ready I couldn't tell you what they gained in waiting?

GDC news is probably developer related like someone already said. Free Unity for example.

GDC will have that kind of stuff, but no, whoever does the keynote especially will treat it as a game showcase and not just as a tech wonk. Remember that Killzone 2 and LBP were both shown at GDC.

Top Bottom