• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Game is damn great.

My only (actually big) concern is PVE, I feel like 2 primary slots will be boring really fast. That strike boss took ages to beat, and it wasn't that fun. (was fun up until that point)

Right now I'm just using one slot until I run out of ammo or I remember I have an alternative.

PVP feels much slower and better than D1.
Graphics are amazing, even bigger jump than I thought.

Wallach

Has anyone here applied more than one code to their account? Like maybe XB1 and PS4? Or can you only be in the beta on one platform?

Finished the strike. Was good, not amazing but good.
But what is going on with the lighting in that strike? Everything looks like I'm looking through milk glass. I haaaaaaaate this effect, makes the game looks so much worse. It wasn't in the opening mission.

Oh and i found a pair of gloves/arms.

Melchiah

Give SMGs a shot. They're pretty strong at the moment and a good cqc weapon. Which you will need this time around as the enemy AI is way more aggressive. They do not shy away from getting in your face.

I'll have to try that on friday, when the beta opens. It doesn't sound like an ideal combination to me though. The old trinity was perfect; scout/auto rifle for adds, sniper for the yellow bars and enemy snipers, and launcher for crowd control. I'm also disappointed, that there's no Void Hunter in the beta.

benzopil

Make sure you're changing your sensitivity. Apparently it's set to 3 by default so that would certainly impact how the game feels for people just coming off D1.

I spent 900 hours with 3 sensitivity in D1. And for me gunplay feels worse in D2.

waited 3 years to play D2
ready to play D3
Aren't you like one of the top players in PvP here on GAF, or am I confusing you for someone else?

Why are you shitposting like this though? You know how barebones this beta is. And you know how barebones vanilla Destiny 2 is going to be compared to Destiny 1 in its current state. They absolutely cannot match the amount of content Destiny 1 with all that DLC has. This beta doesn't even give us access to any of the content that was supposed to have been improved upon in the jump from the first game to now.

I spent 900 hours with 3 sensitivity in D1. And for me gunplay feels worse in D2.
This doesn't make any sense to me. It's exactly the same.

E92 M3

They slowed everything down and made things weaker. I just don't get it. Why go in this direction for Destiny? We want to feel powerful in this universe and the best weapons are locked behind a very limited ammo source.

Aren't you like one of the top players in PvP here on GAF, or am I confusing you for someone else?

Why are you shitposting like this though? You know how barebones this beta is. And you know how barebones vanilla Destiny 2 is going to be compared to Destiny 1 in its current state. They absolutely cannot match the amount of content Destiny 1 with all that DLC has. This beta doesn't even give us access to any of the content that was supposed to have been improved upon in the jump from the first game to now.

I'm not shit posting. I've been playing for 4 hours and I think the core gameplay is bad, which was the first game's strongest point when it launched. This is but is at least a month or so behind, but Destiny 2 goes gold in another month from now and ships in two, so the core gunplay isn't going to be overhauled by then.

He is.

crespo

Neo Member
1800+ hour D1 player here

I'm pretty impressed by the story mission and strike. It probably helps that I tried to avoid as much footage of the strike as I could, but I throroughly enjoyed both. Haven't been able to play PVP.

Regarding the weapons feeling different: I have to agree that the feedback you get from the impact on the enemies doesn't feel as crisp as before, and I do think it has to do with the overload of visual effects going on. I have issues making out damage numbers when things get hectic, screen shaking, etc. Explosive rounds don't help (they obscure impact quite a bit).

Aside from that, guns still handle, look and sound amazing, music is great, and the visuals are a huge step up. Holy cow this game looks good (in 4K, at least). It's still a feast for the senses.

I was a little confused with the supers for a bit: I've accidentally laid down two bubbles when wanting to go Capt America, and I couldn't figure out the ranged attack for the arcstrider. Overcame that with a couple of super uses, which brings me to:

COOLDOWNS. I've seen a lot of you mention the cooldowns, and yes, it's pretty slow. However, that's somewhat close to how it feels when you're a low level guardian in D1. I'm 99% sure that'll change by release and/or when you're more leveled up (missing 1% because Bungie). I feel safe in calling it simply a Beta thing.

Titan's exotic seems to be the best, though I really like the hunter's.

Looking to jump back in for some PVP later.

TsuWave

i had fun but got bored really quick. pvp is a bit too tactical, needs a 6v6 "dumb" mode that's just for fun. the first mission was great, strike was same old same destiny.

weapons being perk locked is a negative for me as the excitement of getting them wore off really quick.

hunters got shafted with the class ability, warlocks and titans are pretty useful for the team and hunters get shadestep lmao

game didn't grab me like i hoped.

jviggy43

To be fair, does anyone remember early on in Destiny 1? The guns had the same "lack of impact". It wasn't until we learned optimal setups, got closer to endgame, and had a whole arsenal to dial in what guns "felt" good to use. So I'd hold judgement on that aspect just a bit.
No they didn't. Guns felt pretty phenomenal at any level and all the way through.

D2 looks beautiful on the PS4 Pro:

okSib5.png

kZHyf7.png

YHEMjG.png

Tovarisc

Not sure where you're pulling those numbers from. Felt like my CDs were about half the length you're describing.

And that's always been how Destiny is. It's not Overwatch. It's not an RPG where the combat is defined by what class you and are and the abilities that class has access to. It's primarily an FPS.

From playing D2 for almost 5 hours. Numbers aren't accurate (no shit?), but how skill cooldowns feel and play.

Also ability cooldowns no way are this effing long in D1. Could have been gear thing, but I remember having my abilities far more readily available during single strike or round of PvP. In D2 beta it feels like 2-3 grenades per full 20min round of PvP which is kinda... what?

Killzig

No loot drops?

I seemed to get dropped in with other players during the Homecoming mission....

No loot drops. Other players can come into that bit where Zavala's present and you're fighting off waves. Then they'll disappear once you progress through the area where the speaker was and for the rest of the mission.

The changes in favor of PvP have really made the PvE experience lackluster. Gunplay, the main draw of D1, feels way too slow. 3 head shots on a high impact scout to take out a garbage-tier red bar enemy feels like a total step back from what was fun in D1's PvE. Grenades also seem to have taken a hit with the nerf bat and won't one shot kill most red bar enemies either. Echo the others who have brought up how long these cooldowns feel too. Wish there was a discrete button for the class ability. On puppeteer button layout it's way too easy to cast rift/barrier when you just want to crouch.

Music needs its own slider for volume. It's way too loud/intrusive when on, but the game's ambient noises aren't good enough to carry it without the music. At least in the mission/strike.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
People are probably used to better gear.

Yeah but gear gave different stats to effect Super, Grenade, Melee Cool down, everyone chased either 2-5-5 or 5-5-2 for Tier 12 in Destiny 1 if you were min/max

Now the gear stats deal with Mobility (movement), resilience (damage taken before dying), and recovery (how fast heal and you get your shields back)

Nowhere do I see any option to make my grenades CD become faster or carry more than 1

I don't think this game is downsampling on 1080p with a PS4Pro. Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but I definitely see more jaggies than other downsampled games like Crash or Rachet&Clank

Killzig

It just feels to me like they made precision hitboxes smaller and less aim assist, that's all.

The enemies def have more health. Since the loadouts seem prescribed, the titan is the one with a high impact scout. Cabal legionaries were taking 3 crit shots, the smaller cabal psions seemed to be taking 2.

Amazon customer care didn't give me a code, so I just went to GameStop and they reissued a code no problem. However I think i wasted my time as you must indeed have PS+ to play the Strike. I had 2 30 day trials from The Taken King... tried to redeem just to find out they expired 3/31/16. FML

nOoblet16

I don't think this game is downsampling on 1080p with a PS4Pro. Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but I definitely see more jaggies than other downsampled games like Crash or Rachet&Clank

Some effects will be rendered at lower resolution which is par for the course and the geometry behind those effects as a result will look more jagged. The volumetric lighting that you see for example is lower than native resolution or atleast doesn't have AA applied to it which makes any geometry that's basked under the volumetric light look more jagged than others. Same for other effects like DoF.

From what I can tell the game is dynamic 4K on Pro (not sure if it's using CBR or not) but it'd definitely be dropping resolution from time to time which could lead to a perception of more jaggies compared to times when it's at 4K.

Back after another session with a hunter this time. I'm not feeling this.

I was nowhere near as hardcore as some with Destiny 1, but it was a game I put 500 hours into, and I never got sick of the combat.

I will sleep on it and try again tomorrow, but I don't think I want this game right now.

nOoblet16

Amazon customer care didn't give me a code, so I just went to GameStop and they reissued a code no problem. However I think i wasted my time as you must indeed have PS+ to play the Strike. I had 2 30 day trials from The Taken King... tried to redeem just to find out they expired 3/31/16. FML

You can get 2 days of PS Plus trip every 6 months for free from PS store apparently.

Yeah but gear gave different stats to effect Super, Grenade, Melee Cool down, everyone chased either 2-5-5 or 5-5-2 for Tier 12 in Destiny 1 if you were min/max

Now the gear stats deal with Mobility (movement), resilience (damage taken before dying), and recovery (how fast heal and you get your shields back)

Nowhere do I see any option to make my grenades CD become faster or carry more than 1

It's true that this build doesn't offer much in the way of adjusting abilities from what I've seen. I know that the alternate tree for the Gunslinger offers some changes, so I would check the greyed out trees of the other two classes as well to see what they offer.

Armor also is limited to one perk node in this build. I don't know if that's true of launch or just for this build. So it's a wait and see.

It just feels to me like they made precision hitboxes smaller and less aim assist, that's all.

This is true too. I don't know if it's hitboxes, aim assist, or both but it does take a bit more accuracy to get the crits (be they headshots or juice boxes).

Yeah, it looks like I'm not going to buy the game, since it clearly continues to put PVP over PVE, and I never play PVP.

If you take PvP out of the mix, I believe there were still fundamental issues with the PvE setup in Destiny 1 (as fun as it was).

Excluding raids. Most encounters were trivial if you were geared correctly.

Looking at the harder missions/strikes, we ended up with a scenario where most players would either look for a cheese (e.g. Nexus cliff, shield brothers wall, Taurac box/vent) - or just burst down the bosses with shotty/sniper and then exotic power weapons.

This essentially lead to a repetitive approach regardless of the strike. And in some instances (e.g. Unseeing Mind) the goal was to burst down the boss to avoid some of the more interesting fights (e.g. having to run the orb back and forth).

Raids were different of course, but there were few of them and they were designed in a way that cheeses and burst strats weren't as common.

I think Bungie need to shift the mission and strike design to be more interesting. To include more variety and mechanics so that 3 person fireteams have some cool shit to do if they don't want to raid.

I don't know what the solution is. But I'm certainly open to changes to the D1 weapon system to see if that helps. I have yet to play the D2 beta (thanks to work) but I like the idea of someone on my team running a Sniper for precison damage, while someone else is using shotgun for risk/reward burst damage, and the other - a rocket/grenade launcher for clearing waves. That is already more interesting than everyone all running sniper/Ghorn for 90% of encounters.

Maybe they're changing it all because of PvP balance, but I suspect they feel this will lead to good changes in PvE too.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Wondering if the Pro is still running at 1080p but with improvements to shadows and other things. Not seeing any downsampling.

Dunno whether to wait until tomorrow to play on XB1 or grab the PS4 out and try it on that tonight.

Top Bottom