• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hoping to hear about a slew of changes being made to the launch game after experiencing the awful tuning of this beta.

Unless they never come because Bungie is historically stubborn as fuck. I still get upset whenever I remember their defense of Halo 2 SMG starts on B.net weekly update posts and forum posts.

The amount of spinning blades during the homecoming mission has been reduced to 1.

Can't believe people had issues with this part of the mission - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6pg6yx/confirmed_nerf_already/

Tei

Neo Member
Is a dificulty spike and while is telegraphed for people that have played a lot of games and a lot of destiny, is less obvious for non-ascended people that have never killed Crota and then killed his dad.

I am saying that you are wrong.

FyreWulff

The amount of spinning blades during the homecoming mission has been reduced to 1.

Can't believe people had issues with this part of the mission - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6pg6yx/confirmed_nerf_already/

Quote sounds like it was already down to 1 in the mission in the actual current build, with the beta having an old 2 blade config.

And to be honest, it's sort of a doozy to throw at people right in the training mission when they're figuring out the controls. It wasn't fun and felt more cheap than challenging.

No... NO

This was the most interesting part of the mission! It was a sign that Destiny 2 might actually try to mix things up and have interesting challenges in the missions!

The same mechanic was in the strike...

FyreWulff

Which part? The huge mining machines?

We are talking about the generator we need to destroy at the end of the intro mission, aren't we? It's like a platforming boss battle.

Yes. It was just a super size version of the generator. And probably intentional to train the player on the strike version of the mechanic. So now both the generator and the strike in the final will be the same (one "blade" at a time coming at you from the front)

Is the beta over now? I played the story mission and some PVP. At first I was complete trash in PVP but my last game I went 14-1 and played the objective. Things feel slower though.

Quote sounds like it was already down to 1 in the mission in the actual current build, with the beta having an old 2 blade config.

And to be honest, it's sort of a doozy to throw at people right in the training mission when they're figuring out the controls. It wasn't fun and felt more cheap than challenging.

The same mechanic was in the strike...

If those sections were "difficult" to some then maybe Destiny isn't the best fit for them. Not ever game caters to everyone. Not everyone can easily run through Dark Souls games. Those encounters were, simple, transparent and pretty boring to be honest. Just think what more complex strikes and the raids will entail.

It might not have been "fun" but it was different and appreciated IMO.

The Generator part has bad readability. A lot of people had problems seeing where they had to shoot. Figuring that part out probably led to a lot of deaths.

Kodros

If those sections were "difficult" to some then maybe Destiny isn't the best fit for them. Not ever game caters to everyone. Not everyone can easily run through Dark Souls games. Those encounters were, simple, transparent and pretty boring to be honest. Just think what more complex strikes and the raids will entail.

Oh, knock it off. I played a ton of Destiny 1 and I'm good player. That section was crap because it was hard to determine what Bungie wanted me to do without dying a few times. Throw in floaty jumping and slow movement...it stunk. I tried jumping over the turbines a few times only to get my feet hit where I was certain that I cleared it. I tried running along the edge and that killed me. I didn't know that there were safe, lower places on the ground in the other areas so I thought I had to jump over the turbines.

Lee

Oh, knock it off. I played a ton of Destiny 1 and I'm good player. That section was crap because it was hard to determine what Bungie wanted me to do without dying a few times. Throw in floaty jumping and slow movement...it stunk. I tried jumping over the turbines a few times only to get my feet hit where I was certain that I cleared it. I tried running along the edge and that killed me. I didn't know that there were safe, lower places on the ground in the other areas so I thought I had to jump over the turbines.

I thought that was the point? They intentionally didn't put markers on the other two turbines, so we had to figure it out. Might have meant dying a few times...

Finally had a chance to play the strike last night. Really enjoyed it! The new enemy types were entertaining to fight (especially the packs of hounds) and the mission felt varied. It was great to see areas that felt a bit more "sandbox-y" to me, especially at points where I could see Cabal dropping in out in the distance. Really enjoyed the bit where you had to avoid the mining equipment while fighting as well. The boss could have been better, but I enjoyed the rest so much that I didn't really care.

The first mission was pretty great too! Hoping that both are indicative of how all strikes/missions will be in the full game. They felt like a full sequel to me, and I was really happy with that.

LordofPwn

I went back into D1 last night just to fuck around. went into the crota strike with my warlock racked up over 1500 kills in like 30 minutes. I did not know that Emperor Warlocks could just spam grenades and melees for days against lower level enemies. also didn't realize ability kills in raids don't count towards the triumph book.

Hoping that they listen to all of our feedback on the beta. they need to fix audio for weapon impacts, they need to adjust damage numbers in PVE, and they need to speed up abilities in PVE. I want to be able to mindlessly kill hoards of enemies while still having fun. Overall i think PVP has been improved but they need to have separate balancing and load-outs for it. Would be nice to save custom load-outs instead of having to transfer gear especially when there are no random rolls, could actually solve the vault system. Imagine a load-out kiosk that shows all of the weapons you've found/unlocked at the highest light you have them at Patrols seem to have been fixed but i hope they are viable for end game progression. Getting rid of random rolls is nice but there better be a point to picking up duplicates. I ended up with 3 nightshades on my warlock after 2 activities. Maybe infusing duplicates into the same gun gives more light than non-duplicates?

Also I think the Hunter needs help, i don't really see them helping out in raids. Maybe if they just made the damage from their supers a lot more powerful that way Golden gun crits in a damage boost well are the highest single piece of damage in the game. i just feel like hunters should be glass cannons so that the other classes need to try and protect hunters but only because they can out damage the other 2 classes. Or maybe if a hunter has their super charged everyone around them gets faster reloads and damage boost?

Lee

I went back into D1 last night just to fuck around. went into the crota strike with my warlock racked up over 1500 kills in like 30 minutes. I did not know that Emperor Warlocks could just spam grenades and melees for days against lower level enemies. also didn't realize ability kills in raids don't count towards the triumph book.

Yeah void warlocks have great synergy against low level mobs like that, and the enemies in Crota's End outside of a few yellow bars at the end don't count as "kills" for bounties, books, glimmer, etc. The Siege of the Warmind mission is a great spot if you still need to farm kills for whatever reason. Go to the bunker, kill the 20 or so easy hive there, hop off, rinse and repeat.

Going back to D1 PvE feels like I'm playing easy mode. I was pleased with the challenge level of the activities in the beta.

I'm convinced most of the doom and gloom in the community are due to growing pains (not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of design changes).

Going back to D1 PvE feels like I'm playing easy mode. I was pleased with the challenge level of the activities in the beta.

I'm convinced most of the doom and gloom in the community are due to growing pains (not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of design changes).

There's a clear familiarity when going back with the min/maxed/preferred gear and different ability/super cooldown timing in Destiny compared to unfamiliarity with gear, difficulty regarding LL (recommended, etc), and damage output/mitigation pertaining to the "Beta."

Edit: Which most of the latter will be tuned (cooldowns, damage output/mitigation, etc) and/or curbed through progression/acquiring gear.

FyreWulff

It's great you're awesome gamer that can do everything in one go. Throwing something that's hand-skill complex right in the training is usually poor game design, even in 'hardcore' games.

you save the complex mechanics for endgame hardcore content like Raids and heroic Strikes, not the intro mission that's trying to teach you the controls and game mechanics. I design games myself and thought the double turbine was crap, but now that I know it was already changed, I can remove it from my eventual beta rant. People have to be able to come into the game no matter if they played since the 90s or are buying their own console for the first time. You throw the higher hand-skill stuff at them when you've expected them to have invested more time into the game.

LordofPwn

Yeah void warlocks have great synergy against low level mobs like that, and the enemies in Crota's End outside of a few yellow bars at the end don't count as "kills" for bounties, books, glimmer, etc. The Siege of the Warmind mission is a great spot if you still need to farm kills for whatever reason. Go to the bunker, kill the 20 or so easy hive there, hop off, rinse and repeat.

it was actually arc warlock. thrall hits me and insta recharges my melee, so i melee and it instantly recharges my grenade, throw grenade and it instantly charges my melee. rinse and repeat. I ended up just going into earth patrol and running circles around the area

Z3M0G

Yes. It was just a super size version of the generator. And probably intentional to train the player on the strike version of the mechanic. So now both the generator and the strike in the final will be the same (one "blade" at a time coming at you from the front)

Wait, really?? Destiny is not a corridor shooter... you don't just go forward... good lord!

I can't believe that THESE of all things are getting changed in the game... they are some of the best additions and sign that the gameplay will evolve :/

The Generator part has bad readability. A lot of people had problems seeing where they had to shoot. Figuring that part out probably led to a lot of deaths.

It did, I wasn't sure what to do when I got there... but they could remedy that in other ways other than making it less hazardous.

Tawpgun

The generator thing was kinda bullshit as a first time mission.

I had no idea those things would instakill until they insta killed me.
Then I was like, oh you jump just over it. So I do it, and then get clocked from behind by the higher blade.
So I try again, and despite double jumping, didn't clear it the whole way?

I liked platforming stuff in Destiny but that one was annoying.

Then I was like, oh you jump just over it. So I do it, and then get clocked from behind by the higher blade.

Pretty much how I felt about it.

Z3M0G

Pretty much how I felt about it.

:/ It's OK to die a few times... as long as the game doesn't throw you back 10 minutes, which at least in this case it didn't (in the Strike, on the other hand...)

Ugh... I actually enjoyed the challenge that both of those sections offered. The "homecoming" mission felt like a training mode with low pressure, while the strike required that you battle it out for safe ground. That change makes it sound like both will just be boring by comparison to the beta version...

Gator86

You could blink through them which was cool. That said, yeah, the entire scenario was kind of bad.

All the platforming stuff in Destiny just feels like Bungie heard people complaining about doing nothing but guarding their ghost, realized they needed to add something else, then had no ideas about what to add so they just threw in a bunch of filler platforming all over the place.

FyreWulff

oh for the striike i mean that it only has blades coming at you from the front. Not that they'll only have one digging blade entirely.

a lot of the bullshit of the story version was the one that comes in behind you. "from behind" doesn't really work well in first person games.

oh for the striike i mean that it only has blades coming at you from the front. Not that they'll only have one digging blade entirely.

a lot of the bullshit of the story version was the one that comes in behind you. "from behind" doesn't really work well in first person games.

Oh! That's definitely a lot different and looks like a change I won't mind as much. Cutting down the number of blades would just be boring IMO.

Tawpgun

lol its not like it was some dark souls esque great mechanic that you need to get gud for.

It was honestly more annoying that anyway. One blade will work fine. I still think thats a bit much for an opening mission.

Balboa

I felt like this until people pointed out that you don't need to jump just run the same direction as the lower spinner and you can drop in and out of the trenches.

Z3M0G

Ugh... I actually enjoyed the challenge that both of those sections offered. The "homecoming" mission felt like a training mode with low pressure, while the strike required that you battle it out for safe ground. That change makes it sound like both will just be boring by comparison to the beta version...

My buddy and I were unable to finish the 2nd boss phase of the strike... and another friend told me today that when the boss sets the ground on fire, you need to stand on the pillars to avoid damage. He couldn't finish the strike either because none of his teamates would figure this out and they kept wiping over and over (like we did).

They are definitely binging more mechanics into the non-Raid content, which is great! But I hope it doesn't frustrate people too much... I assumed that they just ramped up the difficulty of the boss so it was very difficult for Beta... not that there was a mechanic we were failing to discover...

But now that I think about it, this was max level light characters so this was probably the max difficulty of the Strike. You would normally play it at lower difficulties first, I'm thinking...

You do know it's a change that's been in the game since before the beta. This build is roughly from around April-May.

Doesn't make it any less shitty of a change...

So odd that Beta didn't start with most recent build... maybe they wanted people to try it without those changes for a wider opinion...

Rev3rb

lol its not like it was some dark souls esque great mechanic that you need to get gud for.

It was honestly more annoying that anyway. One blade will work fine. I still think thats a bit much for an opening mission.

Would have been better if each of the blades turned off when you destroy each turbine. 1 blade will be fine though, just easy.

LordofPwn

I felt like this until people pointed out that you don't need to jump just run the same direction as the lower spinner and you can drop in and out of the trenches.
yeah first time i did it i looked down and saw the marker to shoot the blades, shot the first one and then ran down on the bottom to the next hole, no issues, no crazy timed jumps. I'd say they just needed to better indicate that you had to look down at what you needed to shoot.

Symbiotx

My buddy and I were unable to finish the 2nd boss phase of the strike... and another friend told me today that when the boss sets the ground on fire, you need to stand on the pillars to avoid damage. He couldn't finish the strike either because none of his teamates would figure this out and they kept wiping over and over (like we did).

I mean, even if your teammates are dying, you just have to stay alive past that part and you could finish even if they didn't get it. It only took me a couple deaths before I realized what to do.

So odd that Beta didn't start with most recent build... maybe they wanted people to try it without those changes for a wider opinion...

Not really that odd considering that a new build would have to be tested and compiled. If they put out a newer build that had some other technical issue or something that was broken, players would eat them alive. Better to stick with a stable build and explain that things are changing.

MrBenchmark

So you want to keep playing Destiny 1 crucible?

Popping ward of dawn and punching the entire match?

One it's MAYHEM two it was a hell of alot more fun than that crap in the Beta.

I averaged a 5k/d in the beta too with just guns but it wasn't half as fun. you'd punch too with that many stupid hunters.

Heads up: the PS4 limited edition is available on GameStop online again. I just preordered a copy using their app even though their stores told me they were sold out.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Seven-Six-Five
or
Tango-45

Opinions?

I got a Tango and was loving it. Then got a "765" and was getting that Hung Jury vibe from it.

Trying to decide which one to infuse up.

Top Bottom