• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 - Creating the Coldheart Exotic Trace Rifle | IGN First

Tawpgun

untitled9ls6c.png

Looks similar to the exclusives from D1.

A dope exotic.
A strike.
A map.
and some armor (the psn armor was really low level if I recall though) these are legendary.

Hope they aren't 1+ year exclusives.. I imagine the shitstorm will be magnified this time around due to a lot of people wanting to go to PC.

Symbiotx

Or you know, maybe some people who actually are interested in playing the game find the idea of locking other people, who don't want to support pre-ordering, out of content to be really petty.

In case you don't know, this is called being mindful, sympathetic, kind, thoughtful, complaisant, unselfish, empathetic... and there really are humans that are capable of displaying and living by these qualities. Believe it or not.

lol implying that anything I said shows a lack of empathy? Give me a break. You're reaching. You still get the stupid gun if you play the game. If you don't want to pre-order, don't, and wait to get the weapon. If that's too outrageous for you, then you're something called.... throwing a fit, having a tantrum, making a mountain out of a molehill.. and there are really humans that are capable of being ok with not pre-ordering and also not having one specific weapon for 3 months. Believe it or not.

Honestly, I'd be against the idea of this being a pre-order exclusive if that term really meant anything. For digital games, you can "pre-order" up until the game is available to play. For physical games, it's either on the receipt and you can also "pre-order" up until the day the game is available, or.... It's in the box, and 99% of copies between launch and the date the exotic is readily available will include the code anyway.

Not saying it's the best practice, but it really doesn't exclude many people who plan to buy on or around launch.

gatti-man

Exotic preorder gun? Disgusting.

A shader or emote would be one thing but locking a exotic gun for 3 months behind a preorder bonus...

This SEEMS disgusting but knowing Bungie this is a third tier exotic. Nothing they give away has ever been best in class let alone best in slot.

lol implying that anything I said shows a lack of empathy? Give me a break. You're reaching. You still get the stupid gun if you play the game. If you don't want to pre-order, don't, and wait to get the weapon. If that's too outrageous for you, then you're something called.... throwing a fit, having a tantrum, making a mountain out of a molehill.. and there are really humans that are capable of being ok with not pre-ordering and also not having one specific weapon for 3 months. Believe it or not.

I was pointing out that you where making a huge presumption and generalization when trying to say that everyone who was complaining was probably just doing it to crap on the game. In other words you where being dismissive in order to protect the honor of something that you liked.

What I was saying is that it's possible to like something and still not be ok with certain aspects of it since you said that you would be surprised if this where the case. Never did I imply that there weren't people that are capable of being ok with pre ordering and being selfish when thinking of others. Obviously there are. This is called a "Screw you got mine" attitude. And I'm specifically talking about the people that are trying to defend the pre order exclusives who know very well that supporting this will just feed the cycle and continue the tradition of the screwing of those who don't sign up.

Raven117

So, this is an "energy" weapon.

You know...if they stay this creative with different types of guns (even exotics), then the double primary thing may not be so bad.

Trakan

It's real stupid that it is a pre order bonus but I'm going to assume we can't even use it until max level like the first game anyway. I'm just hoping exotics are going to be super rare....

They've said that was a mistake in D1 and a lot of players got to level 20 and quit playing the game without ever using an exotic. In D2, you're going to get at least some during the main playthrough of the game.

hydruxo

Awesome looking gun. Can't wait to try it out even if it does suck. Still seems like it'll be fun to use.

Shame they're putting it behind a preorder for 3 months, but whatever. Like others have said I'd imagine it won't be a top tier exotic anyways.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'd like to see better pictures of the PlayStation-exclusive armor sets because they don't look very good there.

There have been some really nice sets in the past and those aren't impressing me.

Tovarisc

my big question...will there be a gun like the ghorn...

If Bungie has learned absolutely anything from D1 then no, there won't be. They really fucked themselves by designing that thing and were never able to come up with anything better or cooler.

Then morons brought it back...

Lasty95

If Bungie has learned absolutely anything from D1 then no, there won't be. They really fucked themselves by designing that thing and were never able to come up with anything better or cooler.

Fucked themselves?

It was one of the most memorable elements of D1.

It's the stuff of legend now.

They wish they could replicate that kind of success.

The way they talk about Omolon in that video like it's a real company really makes me cringe hard.

Why? These are passionate developers talking up their game, they obviously have a love for the universe they've created. I love it when creators really enjoy what they do, you come across as a negative nancy looking for something to bitch about

Tovarisc

Fucked themselves?

It was one of the most memorable elements of D1.

It's the stuff of legend now.

They wish they could replicate that kind of success.

In that sense they really hit the ball out of the field.

In sense that on day 1 game had weapon that was beginning and end of all weapons in the game which they could never one up / replace they really fucked up. In many ways Bungo blew all their design load (weapons, armor model, raids...) in Y1... hell in release content of Y1.

E92 M3

What in the world lmao

Tawpgun

In that sense they really hit the ball out of the field.

In sense that on day 1 game had weapon that was beginning and end of all weapons in the game which they could never one up / replace they really fucked up. In many ways Bungo blew all their design load (weapons, armor model, raids...) in Y1... hell in release content of Y1.

The Y1 arsenal was stupid powerful. Gallyhorn, fatebringer, visions, mythoclast (prenerf)

Tovarisc

The Y1 arsenal was stupid powerful. Gallyhorn, fatebringer, visions, mythoclast (prenerf)

Hawkmoon, Thorn, Corrective Measure, Found Verdict...

It was just nuts how they packed Y1 release content with so many extremely powerful and well rounded weapons that Y1 DLC stuff felt (and was) super weak and blergh in comparison. I hope they learned from that and have mapped out better how they want our power creep to happen so we don't go backwards on it this time.

What in the world lmao

See my follow up, but they managed to design weapon that was too good at everything in everything and never were able to design something cooler / better.

Jblanks

I was hoping there would be a stats page tracking all your different kills on every enemy type and kills in the crucible, total super/grenade/melee kills, etc., but if the ghost has kill tracking then there probably won't be... :/

Tovarisc

I was hoping there would be a stats page tracking all your different kills on every enemy type and kills in the crucible, total super/grenade/melee kills, etc., but if the ghost has kill tracking then there probably won't be... :/

Bungie.net has a lot of stats for your career, even for D1.

Then there is several 3rd party sites for that stuff.

The Y1 exotics and raid weapons were all awesome. There were some cool ones after, but nothing that was ever as iconic or as fun to use as that batch (except the Swords). It's a shame a select few were "required" in the meta across PvE and PvP, but hopefully Bungie learned how to balance weapons and their encounters so they don't fall apart when you introduce powerful concepts.

They've said that was a mistake in D1 and a lot of players got to level 20 and quit playing the game without ever using an exotic. In D2, you're going to get at least some during the main playthrough of the game.

That's really stupid, imo. These things need to be rare. Pvp became a huge problem with people all buying the last word from xur. It gave them a huge advantage. I want exotic questlines with lore that build super weapons. I dont want things handed to me.

JackHerer

That's really stupid, imo. These things need to be rare. Pvp became a huge problem with people all buying the last word from xur. It gave them a huge advantage. I want exotic questlines with lore that build super weapons. I dont want things handed to me.

Huh? Exotic quests lines means that everyone can get it, at anytime. Unlike Xur where it's only available in a very limited window. Which would make your problem of everyone having an OP gun even worse.

I actually don't really see this as a problem, I prefer it to a situation where there is one god weapon that is extremely rare and can only be obtained via RNG. Don't want a repeat of the Mythoclast pre-nerf situation where the very few players lucky enough to get it had a ridiculous advantage.

Huh? Exotic quests lines means that everyone can get it, at anytime. Unlike Xur where it's only available in a very limited window. Which would make your problem of everyone having an OP gun even worse.

I actually don't really see this as a problem, I prefer it to a situation where there is one god weapon that is extremely rare and can only be obtained via RNG. Don't want a repeat of the Mythoclast pre-nerf situation where the very few players lucky enough to get it had a ridiculous advantage.

Obviously you have to do things to build the exotic and it isn't just handed to you right away. This is about becoming legend so I would suggest that Destiny makes exotics super rare through exploration and putting pieces together. I miss the days of the old puzzles like the halo 3 ring puzzle to get the skull, etc. You can argue a datamine of the game would ruin all that but I would still prefer it over doing meaningless strikes for strange coins.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The way they talk about Omolon in that video like it's a real company really makes me cringe hard.

The gun manufactures actually have history and stories behind them in Destiny. Despite Destiny 1 doing a poor job at telling these stories in game, Bungie is clearly passionate about making every feel as if they are part of the lore, rather than just, "Oh look, a gun."

The Y1 exotics and raid weapons were all awesome. There were some cool ones after, but nothing that was ever as iconic or as fun to use as that batch (except the Swords). It's a shame a select few were "required" in the meta across PvE and PvP, but hopefully Bungie learned how to balance weapons and their encounters so they don't fall apart when you introduce powerful concepts.

I really had high hopes on that rocket launcher

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So stuff like Outbreak Prime? Which was in the most recent expansion of D1.
Outbreak Prime sucks for most of the community. I don't know binary so there's no way I could properly contribute to the challenge. All the ARG type puzzles are like that. Cool when they happen but most of us just have to wait while other people piece it together then follow their solution.

Black Spindle was my favorite. It was a hidden mission that was difficult to complete and only available at certain times but the reward was exciting, powerful, and worth it.

Raven117

Hawkmoon, Thorn, Corrective Measure, Found Verdict...

It was just nuts how they packed Y1 release content with so many extremely powerful and well rounded weapons that Y1 DLC stuff felt (and was) super weak and blergh in comparison. I hope they learned from that and have mapped out better how they want our power creep to happen so we don't go backwards on it this time.

See my follow up, but they managed to design weapon that was too good at everything in everything and never were able to design something cooler / better.

I mean, yeah...but I swear....Destiny 1 was at its best when the community was actively trying to break the game...

Year 1 was damn close to magical...it was frustrating, horrible, and effing awesome all at the same time. Sure, I played year 2 and year 3, but it lacked the fever pitch of the G-horn chase, the fatebringer chase....pulling cords off crota, knocking templars off ledges...

Was awesome.

We will get a much more refined experience this go around, but year 1 was a wild ride.

Top Bottom