• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 game director Joe Blackburn is leaving Bungie next month

tommycronin

Banned
nCMhxlQ.gif

Bungies next 5 years is whether Marathon is a hit or not. It being directed by someone else. So I don't think this is much of a story, at least in terms of the viability of the company

Del_X

ahh.. they are the one of the best, if not the people to do a proper fps game?

Halo 1 to reach, Destiny games... not enough for you ?
But Destiny is trash. Some nice core shooting but the AI, encounter design, story are all very behind Halo.

//DEVIL//

But Destiny is trash. Some nice core shooting but the AI, encounter design, story are all very behind Halo.
No. its not trash. its just over stayed its welcome and people are bored. it didnt help they became greedy with micro transactions. but in terms of lore, story, gameplay ? it is one of the best if not the best FPS game out there.

the Raids alone and how 5 or 6 people need to team up in specific way to beat the raid is a league of its own compared to ANY fps out there.

Destiny 2 problem is you really have to be super dedicated to this game alone. and spend lots of time in it to keep up. you cant be left behind. otherwise you would be considered unfit for a raid. and that is half of the game gone.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Tyson taking over as director is a great choice. I like Joe. He comes across as a pretty personable dude and he clearly cares about the game, so I’m sad to see him go.
Yeah people will shout doom and gloom but after many years it's time for a fresh leader.

The final shape is basically the conclusion of destiny 3 so a perfect time for him to leave unless he wants to commit to another long project.

Overall it was pretty good.

ShadowKeep - A new begining brought great anticipation and some fun content

Beyond Light - Europa was amazing. Good content and great campaign

The Witch Queen - Good campaign and fantastic content

Lightfall - Very lacking campaign and ok content

Final Shape - Considering they usually do a good job and that this is wrapping up the D3 arc I have good hopes. Plus they delayed it 4 months so it shouldn't be a rushed shit show.

No. its not trash. its just over stayed its welcome and people are bored. it didnt help they became greedy with micro transactions. but in terms of lore, story, gameplay ? it is one of the best if not the best FPS game out there.

the Raids alone and how 5 or 6 people need to team up in specific way to beat the raid is a league of its own compared to ANY fps out there.

Destiny 2 problem is you really have to be super dedicated to this game alone. and spend lots of time in it to keep up. you cant be left behind. otherwise you would be considered unfit for a raid. and that is half of the game gone.

The lore and story, you mean spending 5 minutes running back and forth between holo projectors and characters using the same 5 animations over and over? Lightfall had the worst story's I've experienced in any shooter ever. In 2024, Destiny is much worse than the other similar shooter Warframe. Compared to the competition, Destiny is significantly lacking in content

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Still dont know why Sony decided to purchase them
Because whether people like it or not, Destiny has arguably the best gunplay in a FPS.

The issue with Destiny was with the production and business decisions.
So if this guy was the one responsible for the clusterfucks during the development of D2, this is good riddance.

Ronin_7

Banned
Bungies next 5 years is whether Marathon is a hit or not. It being directed by someone else. So I don't think this is much of a story, at least in terms of the viability of the company
Marathon & New IP.

If those hit Big Bungie is destined for big success, if not... Well...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Stop removing DLC we paid for.
I dont follow Destiny news so please explain......
giphy.gif

They seriously removed paid DLC? What happens if people want replay DLC again? Or someone just picked up their game for first time?

Its like removing Old Hunter DLC in Bloodborne or Future Redeemed From Xenoblade 3......WTF!?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Still dont know why Sony decided to purchase them
Combo of buying them since MS got COD (Bungie was the biggest independent studio with a shooter). And the last thing they'd want is MS and Bungie doing a buyout, or partnership deal of some kind like how Activision/Bungie did a 10 year deal. Bungie is also to use their GAAS expertise to help shape Sony's first party GAAS.

Baki

No, it is because they wanted a team that knows how to build successful GaaS games.

The acquisition talks started in May 2020, even before Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda, let alone ABK.
That’s why they initiated conversations but the panic from ABK is why they agreed to Bungie ridiculous demands and paid way over Bungie true value at the time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That’s why they initiated conversations but the panic from ABK is why they agreed to Bungie ridiculous demands and paid way over Bungie true value at the time.
Exactly. And I'm sure MS's talks with Bethesda and Activision started way before their final signings too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All this stiff is normal. People leave companies all the time. Plus destiny 2 is almost done. Guys finished with it.

The way you described it makes it sound awful.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’d bail too, can’t fight the top brass from destroying the game.

Gojiira

Exactly this. Destiny should have wrapped up with Beyond Light or at a push Witch Queen,player sentiment waa great up to then.
But yeah people slagging off its story or its world building really have zero clue, it has a crazy rich universe with a ton of potential,part me still expects that while ‘Destiny’ might remain multiplatform I expect there to be some spinoff games at some point. I would love too see a ND developed adventure game In the same universe.
MTX are definitely its biggest problem and its current seasonal model with how it makes story content a one and done had to be there type of experience. If you buy say any of the bundles you really should be able to access and activate any of the reward tracks and any of the seasons that you ultimately paid for.

Killjoy-NL

The way you described it makes it sound awful.
It's not that bad.

It's mostly the community being full of try-hards with dumb demands for parties when running a raid.

"Must-have X weapon and Y emblem otherwise kick from party"
When in reality, the raids themselves aren't all that hard.
Many players just suck or need some time to understand the mechanics.

As for microtransactions, I hope Sony makes sure Bungie doesn't get carried away again.
Some of their business decisions really killed the joy in Destiny.

Last edited:
Bungie praying Marathon is the hit they’re hoping for.
Then they better ship it with more than just a Tarkov mode.

Hell, I’ll be an easy buyer if they simply make a campaign out of their multiplayer content with some bots, like Quake 3 and UT did.

Just giving me the illusion of a decently sized PvE should be enough to win me over.

Such an easy task yet even Overwatch screwed it up.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Hell, I’ll be an easy buyer if they simply make a campaign out of their multiplayer content with some bots, like Quake 3 and UT did.
Highly doubt this game is going to have a campaign. This seems to be entirely PvPvE extraction.

Really smart move to dump the guy who made an arse of your new expansion when you're in crisis trying to get it ready and having absolutely nothing to pad out the giant season the game is stuck with right now.

Should've been done months ago when it was apparent they were nowhere near their deadline.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I dont follow Destiny news so please explain......
giphy.gif

They seriously removed paid DLC? What happens if people want replay DLC again? Or someone just picked up their game for first time?

Its like removing Old Hunter DLC in Bloodborne or Future Redeemed From Xenoblade 3......WTF!?
71MlnxTuzcL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

:messenger_crying:

I thought they removed it before 2022, seems way longer.

Jose92

[Membe
The times has caught up with Bungie.

No one stays at the top forever. Very questionable purchase by Sony compared to insomniac and other studios.

They could have bought several smaller studios with this money, like the crystal dynamics, eidos Montreal, even if they spent this money on cd project that could have been more beneficial in the long run.
Growing their IP portfolio and diversifying their market is understandable.

But Acquisitions don’t always lead to success look at Google Microsoft meta etc.. they buy many companies for millions sometimes for billions then they shut them down because it was not up to par. But the difference is they can afford these loses, Sony can’t buy multiple multi billion studios of this magnitude, and take it as a loss.

My opinion.

Highly doubt this game is going to have a campaign. This seems to be entirely PvPvE extraction.
I know this. My point was that it’s a bad decision for a game coming out in 2024/2025, especially if that game is being looked at like a company savior.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I know this. My point was that it’s a bad decision for a game coming out in 2024/2025, especially if that game is being looked at like a company savior.
I don't think it is a bad decision. The crowd this game is aimed at doesn't care about a single player campaign. What Bungie & Sony are looking for here is a game that has people coming back to over and over again and spending money on character and weapon skins and other cosmetic items, season passes, and other similar content.

I thought it was great and so did a lot of other people. The series has been very successful. Sure it's fallen hard lately but to ignore all it's past success is just being ignorant.

Sony can’t buy multiple multi billion studios of this magnitude, and take it as a loss.

My opinion.

Agreed but they only did it once and it's not like Bungie is some failed studio now. They can still turn it around and have done so in the past when Destiny sunk to a low point.

Top Bottom